What Stage Of Franchise Quarterback Grief Are You In?

EazyEaglez

Five Stages Of Elite Franchise Quarterback Grief.  

69 members have voted

1. 1. As we come to terms with the doubt the Eagles have a franchise quarterback I wonder where everyone stands.

• Denial: "Please we still have a Franchise Quarterback! See that throw right there? That’s why our guy is better than Dak!”
    • Anger: "This guy is a bum! Bench him yesterday!”
    • Bargaining: "If he just had a new (coach, receivers, offense, line, defense, water boy and so on) he would be an elite quarterback.”
    • Depression: "We are stuck with this guy and his contract forever.”
    • Acceptance: "Carson is too inconsistent to be an elite franchise quarterback.”

1 hour ago, stinkfist said:

I'm in "he's a 28-year old tradeable commodity going into 2021 that can net us picks and save us a ton of cap money" phase. No sense signing talented wide receivers for him, he doesn't look for them. 

I'd move on. With or without the future in hand. Too many guys that are franchise players going into the 30's. Carson is worth at least a 1st rounder. 

Of course, this is all contingent on Howie being fired as the pick is wasted with him making it. 

$59M in dead money to the cap if cut or traded in 2021 ... not happening.

I originally chose Acceptance but I want to move it to Depression. What a roller coaster he has put us through, and most of the time we thought "if only he was healthy he would be right up there with anyone." Well he got Healthy and is the worst we've ever seen him be. The team is a joke right now, mostly because we let a Super Bowl MVP go and pay a contract to a guy who is the worst QB in the league right now when we expected him to contend for the MVP. His teammates don't even like him and I don't see any signs that things will get better.

Doug extolling Wentz's work ethic and awareness today does not bode well for the future.

Basically it means Carson is giving it all he's got and the result is the lowest QB rating in the league.

Maybe a cattle prod would help.

On 9/29/2020 at 9:02 AM, eglz1 said:

I'm thinking along these lines. We don't know what is being coached and if Wentz is capable of doing what they expect. Think Lamar Jackson or Mahomes being coached to be a Tom Brady style quarterback. How do we think that would work? Maybe they're trying to coach to Carson's strength and he simply cannot execute. None of us know what's going on with that. Are the Eagles offense coaches so dense as to expect Wentz to be Rodgers or Brees or something? It would be nice to think not but ...... And yeah, there aren't the pieces on offense to make Andy Reid jealous right now.

It’s interesting that you say we don’t know what they’re coaching Wentz to do, but you seem to think if he were coached differently he would be better. I’m pretty certain Carson has the ability to audible at the line, but he’s also capable of adding input to what the offense is doing. Carson has a lot of power in this organization and if you recall it’s the reason why players have spoken out anonymously against him for fear of reprisal within the organization. In short Carson can do whatever he wants whenever he wants so he’s getting the type of coaching he desires. Let’s be honest here. Do you really think if Carson had an offense like KC that allows him to free lance and run around that he’s going to survive considering how often he’s already been injured? Let’s get a little more honest here. Carson Wentz isn’t in the same league as Mahomes or Lamar Jackson let alone Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. 

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Curious. When is the Eagles supposed "out year?” 

30 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Curious. When is the Eagles supposed "out year?” 

2023 would involve a dead money hit of "only” $15M but yield $19M in cap savings

2024 would involve only $6M in dead money and $26M in cap savings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

2023 would involve a dead money hit of "only” $15M but yield $19M in cap savings

2024 would involve only $6M in dead money and $26M in cap savings.

Jesus that far away? We best hope Wentz turns things around then because we are stuck with him either way. 

• Like 1

Just saw on Twitter that PFF (who never really been that high in Carson BTW) said he’s boasting a 68.9 passer rating in a "clean pocket.” Yikes!

How many guys on this team have (a) not missed any time with injuries and (b) consistently played better than Wentz this year? 

20 hours ago, time2rock said:

Unless all three websites I use are wrong, that is incorrect. A post June 1st trade would put him at 9, 9, 9 and 6 in dead money starting in 2021. Again, post June 1st. Feel free to look at that for yourself. EDIT - Real my post below first. I'm not sure they're working right. 

Wait, are these freaking things not figuring in his salary becoming fully guaranteed next year because they aren't changing whether he is traded, cut, etc if I move it to next year. I need BJ's site back. He did 1,000 times better on this crap. Which is probably why he works in the NFL now. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Jesus that far away? We best hope Wentz turns things around then because we are stuck with him either way. 

Exactly.  

53 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Wait, are these freaking things not figuring in his salary becoming fully guaranteed next year because they aren't changing whether he is traded, cut, etc if I move it to next year. I need BJ's site back. He did 1,000 times better on this crap. Which is probably why he works in the NFL now. 

I also noticed the same with those sites.  Wasn't sure if they aren't working correctly or there is indeed no change.  

So huh ? Believing that you can "WIN" this weekend is "Denial". 

La La La La Loooooooooser. 

13 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s interesting that you say we don’t know what they’re coaching Wentz to do, but you seem to think if he were coached differently he would be better. I’m pretty certain Carson has the ability to audible at the line, but he’s also capable of adding input to what the offense is doing. Carson has a lot of power in this organization and if you recall it’s the reason why players have spoken out anonymously against him for fear of reprisal within the organization. In short Carson can do whatever he wants whenever he wants so he’s getting the type of coaching he desires. Let’s be honest here. Do you really think if Carson had an offense like KC that allows him to free lance and run around that he’s going to survive considering how often he’s already been injured? Let’s get a little more honest here. Carson Wentz isn’t in the same league as Mahomes or Lamar Jackson let alone Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. 

So Carson is operating autonomously? If so that's at least part of the problem.

Acceptance but not by his wording in the pole. 

My version of acceptance is that Carson is still our franchise QB. Ive seen him have multiple successful years with nothing around him. I feel coaching around him is more of a issue and its easier to find coaches the a franchise QB. Last year Carson was a very good QB and had no WRs on this team. The year before he was injured and 2017 was the league MVP hands down till his injury. He has a ton more positive results then negative. Yes hes had a rough few games to start the season. Not all of it was on him. Some of it was. But most of the people commenting think they know football but there biggest knowledge comes from playing peewee football or madden which is not reality. 

I predicted 7-9, I felt this team was not good before the draft and the draft def did not help my thoughts. Honestly I was not on us having a winning season once Doug said he will still be the play caller/game planner/OC and Jim was staying as DC. Until both of those change, this team will not move in the winning direction no matter who the QB is. 

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

So Carson is operating autonomously? If so that's at least part of the problem.

Carson is operating from a position of power. It’s been mentioned multiple times he didn’t like Flip and the Eagles didn’t even try to bring him back when he was available. It was also reported that Carson didn’t get along with Groh, and he was dumped a day after the coach guaranteed he was staying. There was the report of the players wanted to speak out anonymously because they feared reprisal. The only guy to survive the purge was Press a Taylor, because he has a good relationship with Carson. Well has that relationship made Carson a better quarterback? It certainly doesn’t look that way. 

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I also noticed the same with those sites.  Wasn't sure if they aren't working correctly or there is indeed no change.  

Yeah, I mean if I adjust it for a post June 1st trade it tells me that the dead money would be 9 and change for three years and then 6. I know his salary becomes guaranteed, but that's salary. Doesn't count toward the cap, so it still shouldn't be an issue. It's just language. 

I'm confused too. BJ used to have this written out so well. 

Obviously talking trading your franchise QB is never a conversation to take lightly, but if it is only a $9 mill cap hit, I'm all about considering it. As you said, if there's a $54 million cap hit, no f'ing way. Completely with you. 

I'm going to try to find out what the deal is. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Carson is operating from a position of power. It’s been mentioned multiple times he didn’t like Flip and the Eagles didn’t even try to bring him back when he was available. It was also reported that Carson didn’t get along with Groh, and he was dumped a day after the coach guaranteed he was staying. There was the report of the players wanted to speak out anonymously because they feared reprisal. The only guy to survive the purge was Press a Taylor, because he has a good relationship with Carson. Well has that relationship made Carson a better quarterback? It certainly doesn’t look that way. 

I can tell you right now he won't like Breiner then because that guy will tell Joe Montana to his face that he's f'ing up if he's f'ing up. Good coach. Good guy. No BS though. None. I mean zero. 

We had a franchise quarter back, but we got his knee capped and his head bashed in and now he’s useless

1 hour ago, Seventy_Yard_FG said:

We had a franchise quarter back, but we got his knee capped and his head bashed in and now he’s useless

Sometimes injuries occur when you always try to play hero ball.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sometimes injuries occur when you always try to play hero ball.

Well it is what it is.  Same as how I think Mcnabb wasn’t the same after his leg injury to Arizona 

27 minutes ago, Seventy_Yard_FG said:

Well it is what it is.  Same as how I think Mcnabb wasn’t the same after his leg injury to Arizona 

It’s unfortunate, but the Eagles have put themselves in this bind by being in a rush to give Wentz an extension. They knew the risk, and they gambled. He’s their guy regardless the results. 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:33 AM, stinkfist said:

Yeah, I mean if I adjust it for a post June 1st trade it tells me that the dead money would be 9 and change for three years and then 6. I know his salary becomes guaranteed, but that's salary. Doesn't count toward the cap, so it still shouldn't be an issue. It's just language. 

I'm confused too. BJ used to have this written out so well. 

Obviously talking trading your franchise QB is never a conversation to take lightly, but if it is only a $9 mill cap hit, I'm all about considering it. As you said, if there's a $54 million cap hit, no f'ing way. Completely with you. 

I'm going to try to find out what the deal is. 

I thought there was some kind of "opt out” either in 2021 or 22, but I can’t seem to find any information regarding an opt out now. In fact the only thing I saw was a 2020 option the Eagles were certainly going to accept. I think I saw something were Wentz has a pretty low 2021 cap hit, but if they released him I’m sure they get a huge dead cap hit. Is it true if they trade him and he restructures then they don’t get a big hit?