What Stage Of Franchise Quarterback Grief Are You In?

EazyEaglez

Five Stages Of Elite Franchise Quarterback Grief.  

69 members have voted

1. 1. As we come to terms with the doubt the Eagles have a franchise quarterback I wonder where everyone stands.

• Denial: "Please we still have a Franchise Quarterback! See that throw right there? That’s why our guy is better than Dak!”
    • Anger: "This guy is a bum! Bench him yesterday!”
    • Bargaining: "If he just had a new (coach, receivers, offense, line, defense, water boy and so on) he would be an elite quarterback.”
    • Depression: "We are stuck with this guy and his contract forever.”
    • Acceptance: "Carson is too inconsistent to be an elite franchise quarterback.”

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The season is on the brink (and it is probably already to late) but it's still only September. 

However San Francisco, Pittsburgh and Baltimore are up next.  Whatever they're gonna do, they need to do it now. 

They aren't going to bench Wentz this week or next week. The earliest it may come would be against Baltimore but even then it would only be during the game if things are out of hand and then they can use the excuse "the game was over and we were just giving Jalen some reps". Wentz will still be this teams QB for the future at the end of this season.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't buy that though. I have no idea why they took Hurts but I just don't believe that a year after you give the QB a mega deal that you'd draft a QB to potentially replace him.

For a start the cap hits on Carson if they cut or trade him make it nigh on impossible for them to move him on. Secondly, he showed down the stretch last year that he can lead this team. So why would they at that point decide to move on from Carson? He took a nasty blow to the head in his first play off game it wasn't like he got "hurt" again.

I think Howie watched McCown try to lead this team against Seattle and also knew Sudfeld is likely gone after this season and the biggest motivating factor in drafting Hurts was to upgrade the backup position.  It was foolish to use such a high pick on someone that (if everything goes right) will never be anything more than a backup QB that may see some limited time if Wentz gets injured (but then relegated to the bench again as soon as Wentz is ready to go) and a gadget player.  It is either that or they were already starting to have concerns about Wentz long term (despite putting the team on his back and playing really well down the stretch last season), but still you don't draft his eventual replacement now.  It was just really poor strategy on Howie's part.  

• Like 2

Acceptance.  He got Philly most of the way to a SB I thought I'd never see playing at a MVP level.  The coaches who masked his inconsistencies are now gone.  The injuries he must risk to be effective have taken their toll-and absent a coaching/philosophy change he will never be consistent enough to take them back anywhere near that level again.  Got trophy, don't really care as much as I otherwise might have. 

I have to say that the fans on this board make the medicine of Wentz suckage go down a little easier.

This poll is hilarious!

Oh and I'm definitely angry.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't buy that though. I have no idea why they took Hurts but I just don't believe that a year after you give the QB a mega deal that you'd draft a QB to potentially replace him.

For a start the cap hits on Carson if they cut or trade him make it nigh on impossible for them to move him on. Secondly, he showed down the stretch last year that he can lead this team. So why would they at that point decide to move on from Carson? He took a nasty blow to the head in his first play off game it wasn't like he got "hurt" again.

Like I said in another thread, I think they did Wentz deal when they did because they saw some mega contracts about to be handed out to QBs and wanted to get ahead of the curve. So they gambled on the idea that he could get back to 2017 form, and if that happens it would have been a nice gamble. 

However, I think they saw a lot of concerning trends last year. Poor mechanics, some absolutely pathetic games, and they saw a guy who didn’t progress the way they were banking on. So, Hurts was drafted yes in case of injury but also, IMO, because Wentz play through much of last year had them second guessing their gamble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They aren't going to bench Wentz this week or next week. The earliest it may come would be against Baltimore but even then it would only be during the game if things are out of hand and then they can use the excuse "the game was over and we were just giving Jalen some reps". Wentz will still be this teams QB for the future at the end of this season.

They need to do something.  How much faith does Doug have in Wentz?  

4th and 12, outside of field goal range, 19 seconds left in OT.  No time outs.
Naturally, he turns to his franchise quarterback and says "go get us a quick first down and stop the clock", right?
Nope. He punts. For a tie. Against the Bengals. 

That is the state of the Eagles, kids. 

33 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

4th and 12, outside of field goal range, 19 seconds left in OT.  No time outs.
Naturally, he turns to his franchise quarterback and says "go get us a quick first down and stop the clock", right?
Nope. He punts. For a tie. Against the Bengals. 

That is the state of the Eagles, kids. 

Doug should have done what he does best.

Call a WR screen to pick up 3 yards. 

6 hours ago, paco said:

I'm going with Anger, but its more of the "Trade everyone and burn this f'er to the ground" variety. 

Cmon Paco. Let's burn this MFer down!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Lol how many 'Wentz sucks' threads are you guys doing to make?

It’s always awesome to see how the next guy thinks that his Wentz sucks thread is better than the previous

The Eagles need to get someone on the coaching staff, whether it's replace Press Taylor or whatever, who can try to help Carson see that he has to fix his mechanics.  I think Carson is stubborn about it. If Carson doesn't commit to fixing it, then start planning to move on. But, we won't be able to trade him, so it would be a huge loss. So, ideally, you try to find a coach who can push him to fix things. And, if he does end up fixing things, then you might quietly test the trade market and sell high.  But, if Carson doesn't fix his mechanics, then nothing is going to change. Look at the screen he threw at Sanders feet. Look at how he is falling away to his right unnecessarily which causes him to not have his feet set. That is just one example of many passes he has made with bad footwork. It's getting to be a tired act.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I think Howie watched McCown try to lead this team against Seattle and also knew Sudfeld is likely gone after this season and the biggest motivating factor in drafting Hurts was to upgrade the backup position.  It was foolish to use such a high pick on someone that (if everything goes right) will never be anything more than a backup QB that may see some limited time if Wentz gets injured (but then relegated to the bench again as soon as Wentz is ready to go) and a gadget player.  It is either that or they were already starting to have concerns about Wentz long term (despite putting the team on his back and playing really well down the stretch last season), but still you don't draft his eventual replacement now.  It was just really poor strategy on Howie's part.  

And that's exactly what I think too. I don't think they ever truly thought Hurts was going to be the long term answer. I don't think that was the thought process. 

That said the second they took Hurts they created this situation. Because if things went south at any point and Wentz was struggling the noises would start to get loud. Those noises wouldn't be as loud if they had McCown or Sudfeld as back up. The noises would be there of course, they always will be when a supposed franchise QB struggles for a period but not like it'll get over the coming weeks. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Like I said in another thread, I think they did Wentz deal when they did because they saw some mega contracts about to be handed out to QBs and wanted to get ahead of the curve. So they gambled on the idea that he could get back to 2017 form, and if that happens it would have been a nice gamble. 

If you aren't sure then to me you tag a player. If you feel you need another year to assess if a player can become what you hope then you don't give them a huge 5 year deal you just don't. Because that ties you to that player for at least 2-3 years. If you are unsure about a player why tie yourself to them?

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Like i said I just don't see it. This season is going down fast and I just don't see them benching Wentz. If they bench Wentz then that's the end for Howie and very likely for Doug too. 

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If you aren't sure then to me you tag a player. If you feel you need another year to assess if a player can become what you hope then you don't give them a huge 5 year deal you just don't. Because that ties you to that player for at least 2-3 years. If you are unsure about a player why tie yourself to them?

I don’t disagree, but I think the reasoning I gave still stands. Even if they had tagged him, and he went back to MVP form, they’d then need to do a much bigger contract than what they actually gave him. 

Just now, nipples said:

I don’t disagree, but I think the reasoning I gave still stands. Even if they had tagged him, and he went back to MVP form, they’d then need to do a much bigger contract than what they actually gave him. 

Yeah they would but then that's a year down the line where potentially the cap has gone up. And if it hasn't, as it seems it won't due to this pandemic, then I'm not sure Wentz has much leverage to demand a mega deal when the cap hasn't really increased. And again if he does then tag him again with the hope that the cap recovers the following year. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah they would but then that's a year down the line where potentially the cap has gone up. And if it hasn't, as it seems it won't due to this pandemic, then I'm not sure Wentz has much leverage to demand a mega deal when the cap hasn't really increased. And again if he does then tag him again with the hope that the cap recovers the following year. 

I’m not arguing whether it was a good decision or not, I’m just explaining why I believe they did it when they did even if they weren’t 100% sold. 

• Like 1

Just now, nipples said:

I’m not arguing whether it was a good decision or not, I’m just explaining why I believe they did it when they did even if they weren’t 100% sold. 

Oh no I know bud. And I know why they did it the way they did. I just think if they had doubts then it makes that contract a really dumb move. And that's why I don't think they drafted Hurts because they suddenly had doubts over Wentz. 

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

None of the above.  Our coaching and roster construction is flawed.  Need O line, offensive creativity and health.

Yeah that’s bargaining bruh. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

He has no accuracy and his interceptions are the worst in the NFL. Overrated. If he had a right coach..he could make an improvement, but that is not going to happen this year with our offensive line. The whole team is crumbling down. We need to rebuild...just about everything except the kicker.

It feels like you went through many different stages through this post. 

I really worry about an Andrew Luck situation after Carson's injury last year. What Clowney did, and what the NFL didn't do as a result, are both disgusting.  It was a blatant helmet-to-helmet and could have ended his career.   Possibly did. We'll see.  He's made somewhere between $40-80 MILLION after this year (not sure what kind of signing bonus recapture the Eagles would look for should he retire). You could make $250,000 for 40 years and not even approach 25% of what he's made.

Dude is set for life.  $36,000,000 take-home pay... 2% return is 3/4 of a million every year, just on interest alone.

I'm sensing Andrew Luck this off-season................. Chris Borland retired after just a single year and forfeited a ton of his bonus in doing so.  IDK... the types of hits Wentz subjects himself to (OT during holding play??? WTF DUDE?!)... He should just call it quits before his wife is feeding him jello at 48. 

I think there's a concern, and I don't blame Wentz for this, that perhaps having a new wife and a young baby has changed things. And maybe he's now looking at his situation and it is very different. Having had 2 kids I know that it changes you and can change your outlook. We could be seeing that with Wentz. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree they’re pretty much stuck with Wentz for the entire season, but someone will have to pay for the Wentz debacle and that will most likely be Doug since Howie and Lurie personally chose Carson. I’m sure at some point (probably around the Giants game) Wentz will look like some semblance of his former self so all of the fanboys will have their I told you so moment. Beating up on hapless and bad teams makes their juices go crazy. 

• Like 1