Jordan Mailata

ManchesterEagle

Looked tentative at times. Him and Herbig struggled with the odd stunt and had a false start penalty. Wasn't facing the best pass rushers of the 49ers fortunately

But heck of a game from Mailata in his first start. Considering the guy had never played the games until 2 years ago, he was really good and held his own. Hopefully he continue to build and grow in confidence, because to be honest he looks better than Peters right now.

• Like 5

Had the false start that hurt the sneak, but all in all I thought he played decent for his first NFL start. He did enough to earn another start. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, nipples said:

Be nice if he takes hold of that job and keeps it even when JP is healthy. 

My worry is that they seem to let JP do whatever he wants. But ideally Mailata runs with it and they move Peters to Right Guard where age/movement is less of an issue.

• Like 1

He did well, but him and Herbig on the same side was an issue you could see a couple a snaps they both tried to block the same guy while another guy went by both, overall though the O Line as a whole is holding up better than we've any right to expect given injuries and experience.

I struggle to see the benefit of immediately putting Peters back in given his horror show last week.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

He did well, but him and Herbig on the same side was an issue you could see a couple a snaps they both tried to block the same guy while another guy went by both, overall though the O Line as a whole is holding up better than we've any right to expect given injuries and experience.

I struggle to see the benefit of immediately putting Peters back in given his horror show last week.

Yeah agreed - and teams will continue to run a lot of stunts at them. It's a shame Issac isn't healthy as he could take command more and make sure Mailata is blocking the right guy.

But still - good job all things considered.

I'd like to see Malaita develop a real, nasty mean streak.  Not just block, but punish guys.  Play a little on the edge of legal. This was his first full game, but at his size and athleticism, he needs to intimidate too.....

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, nipples said:

Be nice if he takes hold of that job and keeps it even when JP is healthy. 

It's sad that we all know Hanna-Barbera Chin a** Doug will insert Peters back in as soon as he is ready to go. This is where BBD (Big Balls Doug) needs to check his teary eyed loyalty and remember what's important. Peters is done, Mailata is where the future is (even if it's not him specifically). Get younger, more reliable, cheaper. Coach'em up Doug.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I'd like to see Malaita develop a real, nasty mean streak.  Not just block, but punish guys.  Play a little on the edge of legal. This was his first full game, but at his size and athleticism, he needs to intimidate too.....

Yeah agreed - he looked tentative at times. Understandable for his first meaningful start at any level. Hopefully he can develop that Jon Runyan like nasty streak.

• Like 1

hate to admit it but i missed my youngest daughter's first steps last night because i was so dialed into malaita's first series.

they showed him on the sidelines before the first niners series, i couldn't tell if he was that focused or about to puke . 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

hate to admit it but i missed my youngest daughter's first steps last night because i was so dialed into malaita's first series.

they showed him on the sidelines before the first niners series, i couldn't tell if he was that focused or about to puke . 

Probably both focused and about to puke.....

He didn't play bad enough to stand out, so he's already and upgrade over peters this year. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Had the false start that hurt the sneak, but all in all I thought he played decent for his first NFL start. He did enough to earn another start. 

yea you could see he was really upset about that mistake. In truth even the best of them will have a false start during a critical moment over the course of their career. 

• Like 1

They need to leave Malaita right where he is......no in and out bullsh--......put him in, leave him in....he will only learn and get better by playing at this point. Switch Peters back to guard if he can ever stay healthy. 

• Like 3

Mailata made mistakes..but he did not Suck. I not sure he is a long term answer at LT..but anyone at this point is an improvement over JP. He definitely needs more playing time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Mailata made mistakes..but he did not Suck. I not sure he is a long term answer at LT..but anyone at this point is an improvement over JP. He definitely needs more playing time. 

Yep, I’d play Mailata the rest of the season, unless he really starts to suck. Get him experience, because we still don’t know 100% what Dillard is. Be good to have Mailata actually pushing him. 

• Like 6

Stoutland has some actual game tape on him and hopefully will coach him on his mistakes.  Best thing for him was actual live game reps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

You never know he just might develop that nasty streak. I gotta say I have more confidence a guy who played Rugby would develop a nasty streak with more experience than a guy who played in the PAC-12.

41 minutes ago, West_Philly said:

yea you could see he was really upset about that mistake. In truth even the best of them will have a false start during a critical moment over the course of their career. 

It was his first start so I’ll give him a break on that one. He’s only been playing football now for what like three years? I mean I thought he did very well considering everything. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You never know he just might develop that nasty streak. I gotta say I have more confidence a guy who played Rugby would develop a nasty streak with more experience than a guy who played in the PAC-12.

I don't care where he played or what he played......but developing a more aggressive persona is going to benefit him and the eagles. Peters needs to be in his ear all the time.....run people over, get downfield, play aggressively to the whistle, punish guys for just being in his way.......

That goes for Dillard too when he gets back......Being that big and athletic, add in a f------ mean streak, and it only helps the team....

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

He didn't play bad enough to stand out, so he's already and upgrade over peters this year. 

Exactly.  Remember Winston Justice in his first start?  Even Vitai when he had his first start fans were ripping him.  People don't realize it can take time and they need real game experience.

He did fine.  We've seen veteran great players for us make mistakes like false starts, poor blocks, even Kelce with the bad snap.  Then we harp on a guy who was playing Rugby a few years ago in his first start for his mistakes.  It's a good performance to build on and see where it goes.  At this point with injuries they don't have much choice anyway.

• Like 4

The only way Mailata is going to learn and improve is to play.  Sure, he wasn't going up against SF's best DEs last night, but for a kid with only 20 snaps under his belt who until 2018 had never played the game (nor knew much about it) before, he acquitted himself well.  And I imagine it was tougher with Herbig next to him instead of a vet like Seumalo.  So there was some confusion on the stunts between the 2 of them.  He's a huge and very athletic guy who has come far in a short time, but his ceiling still hasn't come close to being reached yet.  If this kid can keep getting reps in live games and is given a chance to develop technique and pickup on the nuances of the game with that frame and athleticism then he could be a special player for years to come for us.  Next week will be a tough test with PGH's front 7 and a different look for him in a 3-4 scheme.  Should he handle himself OK that game then they really need to keep playing him.  

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Exactly.  Remember Winston Justice in his first start?  Even Vitai when he had his first start fans were ripping him.  People don't realize it can take time and they need real game experience.

He did fine.  We've seen veteran great players for us make mistakes like false starts, poor blocks, even Kelce with the bad snap.  Then we harp on a guy who was playing Rugby a few years ago in his first start for his mistakes.  It's a good performance to build on and see where it goes.  At this point with injuries they don't have much choice anyway.

Yup. There was constant pressure from the left but it wasn't all him. He's going to take time to develop and if he's does great, if not we hope Dillard works out.  Hell we gotta hope Dillard works out too. Maybe one replaces Lane after his next roid test failure. 

37 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I don't care where he played or what he played......but developing a more aggressive persona is going to benefit him and the eagles. Peters needs to be in his ear all the time.....run people over, get downfield, play aggressively to the whistle, punish guys for just being in his way.......

That goes for Dillard too when he gets back......Being that big and athletic, add in a f------ mean streak, and it only helps the team....

Well I think of the two players, Mialata has a better chance to do that over Dillard. You gotta be a little crazy in the head and have some nastiness about you to play rugby. 

It was a fricking great performance from him. I mean he had played what 20 snaps of real football before last night ever in his life. The fact that he was not sucky was something he can build on as there is real tape of his tendencies and weaknesses in a live game now.