Jordan Mailata

ManchesterEagle

32 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Mailata's name wasn't called at all yesterday

neither was Peters :whistle:

• Haha 1

This guy can play. The line as a whole was bad yesterday, but Mailata held his own damn well. The exciting part is that he is still mastering the technique, right now he’s getting by and playing damn well almost entirely based on his size, strength and athleticism. The more he learns the intricacies of the position, he’s only going to keep getting better. 

I’d be open to offers on Dillard in the offseason. If you can get decent value for him, then ship him out. Might be hard with the injury though, so if no worthwhile offers come through then I guess you keep him as a backup plan. 

I like what I see from Mailata. Has done better than Dillard when given the chance in my opinion. Wonder what happens next year when Dillard comes back

I'll add that he knew to go after the ball when fumbled. most plays you see Mailata  picking wentz up off the ground. looks like he's really starting to get it.

• Like 1

So excited for this kid.  Looks like he is developing a mean streak and using that huge frame.  If he does: watch out.  He's going to be playing LT for us for a very long time.  

make him eligible every 3rd and short play.

He's had 3 starts now and against 3 of the nastiest D's in the league (the 49ers were banged up, but still). He's held his own in every one. His PFF rating is up to 67, which is pretty darn good when you consider it's his first 3 competitive starts ever and who it was up against.

Mailata is our left tackle of now and the future.

Can't remember what Q, but i saw a BAL edge rusher trying take him wide and speed rush him, Mailata stayed with him with great footwork and when the defender tried to sink and rip he just rode him to the ground. The guy was heading straight for Carson otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, New Zealand Eagle said:

Can't remember what Q, but i saw a BAL edge rusher trying take him wide and speed rush him, Mailata stayed with him with great footwork and when the defender tried to sink and rip he just rode him to the ground. The guy was heading straight for Carson otherwise. 

Hard to do right as a young player (even for guys who played football their whole life), but easy to fix over time: he needs to work a bit on picking up outside rushers that are coming in unprotected.  It's hard to know his assignment or if the RB in the backfield is completely blowing an assignment, but there were a couple plays where he and the LG were both locked in on a single rusher while someone flew in from out wide untouched.  

48 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Hard to do right as a young player (even for guys who played football their whole life), but easy to fix over time: he needs to work a bit on picking up outside rushers that are coming in unprotected.  It's hard to know his assignment or if the RB in the backfield is completely blowing an assignment, but there were a couple plays where he and the LG were both locked in on a single rusher while someone flew in from out wide untouched.  

Yeah i believe Pitt hit him with a stunt on the first play of the game also. 
It would make sense that the IQ will need to play catch up, but if he can match that with the physical tools i think we have something.

I did notice after the first few drives that they took longer before each snap and Kelce and Wentz were talking/communicating a ton pre-snap about the blitz - Perhaps making things a little more clearer for the younger guys. 

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Do you know how many people in here said he should be cut during camp? Lol

There were a lot --- mostly because people were using him as a reason to bash Howie. We have certainly missed on picks, not that that is uncommon around the NFL, but as this team ages, there is a need to have young guys ready to step up or at least pushing the older vets to keep their jobs. But that 2018 draft is looking really good (Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, Pryor and Mailata). I still see people saying it's a bad draft, by just listing "2018 draft" in their criticism of him. 

One thing I've noticed around here is people like to "pile on" once the finger pointing starts. If you don't join the lynch mob (in this case the "Howie Must Go" Syndicate), then you are cast out as a hopeless cheerleader in their eyes. 

We knew Mailata was a project and the risk was low as a 7th round pick. Nobody expected him to be ready to play very early in his career, but he looked impressive in his rookie preseason. Last year we started the year with a lot of injuries and Mailata was shelved on IR so we could carry some numbers at other positions. That was a bit of a setback since he wouldn't be able to practice with the team even when healthy. Then we had an abbreviated 2020 OTA/camp period with no preseason before this season and he is looking like a real find despite all that. It would be nice if fans would put their hate agendas aside and root for players to develop instead of playing their "I told you so" on loop every week a draft pick they disagreed with didn't win a player of the week award. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I like what I see from Mailata. Has done better than Dillard when given the chance in my opinion. Wonder what happens next year when Dillard comes back

Like with Fulgham and others, no decision has to be made yet. We have more than half the season to go to continue evaluating. He looks good so far and it does seem he's taken advantage of the opportunity he's been given and is the likely starter going forward. I like seeing players grab the chance and perform like him, Ward, Fulgham, even Sweat. 

Dillard looked good at LT last year before JP came back. He'll be in camp and have to prove what he's going to be for this team. One thing we know is they need O line depth because of so many injuries. 

Watch Mailata pancake Calias Campbell, probably a handful of guys in the entire NFL can do that to Campbell

I am seeing a little bit of BIG E in him, That's right Erik Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm gonna float this idea out there , i'd start mailata at LT move dillard to LG , issac to center when kelce retires this off season , brooks back to RT and lane at RT. nice o-line there to run and pass behind. driscoll , pryor , herbig , toth and opeta backups

54 minutes ago, vaeagle2 said:

i'm gonna float this idea out there , i'd start mailata at LT move dillard to LG , issac to center when kelce retires this off season , brooks back to RT and lane at RT. nice o-line there to run and pass behind. driscoll , pryor , herbig , toth and opeta backups

I actually think that idea has some substance. I mean I think Dillard should get an opportunity to fight for the LT role in the off season but moving him inside might actually work. Mailata is showing real promise as the starting LT which puts the team in a strong position.

10 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Watch Mailata pancake Calias Campbell, probably a handful of guys in the entire NFL can do that to Campbell

I am seeing a little bit of BIG E in him, That's right Erik Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yooo, his closing speed was kinda scary lol

I thought Mialata actually kind of struggled in this game. He was giving up a lot of pressures, but it really paled in comparison to everyone else around him. I thin Brown made his job more difficult than it needed to be. Still I want him out there over Peters. Move Peters back to guard. 

On 10/13/2020 at 5:10 AM, Jeep_man said:

TJ Watt getting destroyed

Destroyed is a good choice of words here. Dayum. 😆

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I thought Mialata actually kind of struggled in this game. He was giving up a lot of pressures, but it really paled in comparison to everyone else around him. I thin Brown made his job more difficult than it needed to be. Still I want him out there over Peters. Move Peters back to guard   out of Philadelphia

😂

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, brkmsn said:

There were a lot --- mostly because people were using him as a reason to bash Howie. We have certainly missed on picks, not that that is uncommon around the NFL, but as this team ages, there is a need to have young guys ready to step up or at least pushing the older vets to keep their jobs. But that 2018 draft is looking really good (Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, Pryor and Mailata). I still see people saying it's a bad draft, by just listing "2018 draft" in their criticism of him. 

One thing I've noticed around here is people like to "pile on" once the finger pointing starts. If you don't join the lynch mob (in this case the "Howie Must Go" Syndicate), then you are cast out as a hopeless cheerleader in their eyes. 

We knew Mailata was a project and the risk was low as a 7th round pick. Nobody expected him to be ready to play very early in his career, but he looked impressive in his rookie preseason. Last year we started the year with a lot of injuries and Mailata was shelved on IR so we could carry some numbers at other positions. That was a bit of a setback since he wouldn't be able to practice with the team even when healthy. Then we had an abbreviated 2020 OTA/camp period with no preseason before this season and he is looking like a real find despite all that. It would be nice if fans would put their hate agendas aside and root for players to develop instead of playing their "I told you so" on loop every week a draft pick they disagreed with didn't win a player of the week award. 

Well said. Howie has certainly made some bad mistakes (some of which were supported at the time by most of this board), but he's had a lot of successes as well. 2018 draft looks great. Got to give him credit for players like LeBlanc and Fulgham as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I actually think that idea has some substance. I mean I think Dillard should get an opportunity to fight for the LT role in the off season but moving him inside might actually work. Mailata is showing real promise as the starting LT which puts the team in a strong position.

i really think the coaches should have had mailata playing more last season , they have drop the ball on evaluation of players and have only found what they had because of injuries

30 minutes ago, vaeagle2 said:

i really think the coaches should have had mailata playing more last season , they have drop the ball on evaluation of players and have only found what they had because of injuries

Hmm maybe but then JP was playing pretty well last year and everyone was mostly healthy so I think it's hard to say that.

9 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

Yooo, his closing speed was kinda scary lol

He can run, check out his rugby highlights, his 40 was timed at a quicker speed than a few QBs like Wentz. Pretty good for probably the biggest human being in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, Jeep_man said:

He can run, check out his rugby highlights, his 40 was timed at a quicker speed than a few QBs like Wentz. Pretty good for probably the biggest human being in the NFL.

Wow. With that tackling and athletism he can be a solid DT as well. The guys a beast and very excited for him. I was the ones who thought he won't even make it to the roster this year. Happy to be totally wrong.

• Like 1