Jordan Mailata

ManchesterEagle

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well I think of the two players, Mialata has a better chance to do that over Dillard. You gotta be a little crazy in the head and have some nastiness about you to play rugby. 

Well, I don't know the 2 personalities personally.......and plenty of offensive linemen have nasty attitudes without playing rugby.  I do believe you can develop a nasty on field persona without being like that off the field.

I think he showed real promise last night. He gutted it out, he bounced back from that really bad false start penalty and he did a good job. Given the guy has only been playing football for 3 years and has never started an NFL game he did superbly. 

He's just one of those guys I think. Naturally able to handle himself out there. Technically he might struggle and it might not be pretty at times but he'll be effective because I think he's going to be a bit of a baller. Not elite, but just a good guy to have. 

I watched Jordan a good bit last night and didn't watch anything else and he looked pretty solid. My only consistent complaint with him was that he was waist bending a lot. 

Every single time Dion Jordan lined up across from him he just smacked Dion around like a little girl. On Wentz's TD run he made a really nice seal block in the open field on Kwon Alexander that made that happen. Was actually a combo block as well. I don't know who was wearing 94 for the Niners last night (it's usually Solomon Thomas' number, but he's on IR), but Jordan continually pushed him around. #92 tried to bull rush him all night and Jordan turned him around and had him with his back to the ball. 

I actually thought the kid looked really, really good. Was actually a little shocked. Then remembered, these aren't great players. 

That said, Jordan is so new to football and that pace that him doing this is just ridiculous. 

I watched him a lot. Just him. I was really excited. Maybe I'm nuts. I can tell you it got to the point where in the 3rd quarter I finally stopped watching just him though, so this wasn't just one series. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glad to be getting anything positive out of him at all.  Picking him up was a blind gamble.  Nice to see it paying off at least a little bit.  Hopefully he builds from here.  It'll be tougher next week though.  Stiffer competition.

All in all, I was pleased with his performance. Penalties are never good, and his hurt us there at 3rd and 1, but even a future hall of fame player like JP has penalties. What Jordan's done in the short time that he's had, is pretty impressive, actually. I hope he continues to improve and grow in the game and if he can mature enough at the position to take over the starting spot, that's a heck of a story.

• Like 2

I thought he played very well. Would be great to see him build on it for a few games and even the rest of the season.

The mic’d up Jordan Mailata if he develops a mean, nasty and aggressive streak is potential gold...

• Like 1

I hope Jordan plays well and develops at least into a competent backup. 

My only concern would be that Howie uses him as validation for his continued participation in draft and talent evaluation. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Had the false start that hurt the sneak, but all in all I thought he played decent for his first NFL start. He did enough to earn another start. 

Yeah, must be the language barrier.  He should clean that up as he learns English.

2 hours ago, stinkfist said:

I watched Jordan a good bit last night and didn't watch anything else and he looked pretty solid. My only consistent complaint with him was that he was waist bending a lot. 

Every single time Dion Jordan lined up across from him he just smacked Dion around like a little girl. On Wentz's TD run he made a really nice seal block in the open field on Kwon Alexander that made that happen. Was actually a combo block as well. I don't know who was wearing 94 for the Niners last night (it's usually Solomon Thomas' number, but he's on IR), but Jordan continually pushed him around. #92 tried to bull rush him all night and Jordan turned him around and had him with his back to the ball. 

I actually thought the kid looked really, really good. Was actually a little shocked. Then remembered, these aren't great players. 

That said, Jordan is so new to football and that pace that him doing this is just ridiculous. 

I watched him a lot. Just him. I was really excited. Maybe I'm nuts. I can tell you it got to the point where in the 3rd quarter I finally stopped watching just him though, so this wasn't just one series. 

I thought they were just rolling out away from him all night bu a firend of mine was keying on him said he did pretty well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nipples said:

Yep, I’d play Mailata the rest of the season, unless he really starts to suck. Get him experience, because we still don’t know 100% what Dillard is. Be good to have Mailata actually pushing him. 

Having a plan B to Dillard is a GOOD thing.

8 hours ago, nipples said:

Be nice if he takes hold of that job and keeps it even when JP is healthy. 

Please, God...grant me just this one thing, and I promise I will never again _____(fill in the blank) 😆
PS- glad someone made a thread on this topic.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Yeah, must be the language barrier.  He should clean that up as he learns English.

Not. Sure. If. Serious. Or. Not. 

5 hours ago, stinkfist said:

. I don't know who was wearing 94 for the Niners last night

94 is Ziggy Ansah, and Yep Mailata held him in check all game. Only issue I found was Mailata was very sloppy in the run game, pass protection he was on point and solid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nipples said:

Be nice if he takes hold of that job and keeps it even when JP is healthy. 

And even if Dillard is healthy too

42 minutes ago, Jeep_man said:

94 is Ziggy Ansah, and Yep Mailata held him in check all game. Only issue I found was Mailata was very sloppy in the run game, pass protection he was on point and solid.

Yeah, watching it now. Thank you though. I wouldn't have remembered to even address it. Jordan absolutely whipped his butt. I'm actually watching it again. Jordan was really good in pass pro last night. Really good. Nice confirmation of it. His run blocking has looked good so far. Not great, but good. Way better than Peters. Herbig actually isn't horrible either. Pryor is killing people at times. I may need an explanation of what Matt Pryor did. He had to have gotten in a doghouse because he's clearly better than Herbig. 

Jordan's biggest issue is that of being a waist bender to me. It hurts him in the run game because he's reaching. I can remember being new to football and playing catch up. Blocking was really weird, especially in space. You tend to reach with your upper body a lot. Just not natural. He looks that way. 

To be honest, he looks like a kid that started playing in 8th grade and is on the varsity team as a 9th grader. The funny thing is, he kind of reminds me of another player, but I'm not getting into who it is. If he turns out as good, that's solid for the Eagles. Not a world beater, but one hell of a player from my area. 

15 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Yeah, watching it now. Thank you though. I wouldn't have remembered to even address it. Jordan absolutely whipped his butt. I'm actually watching it again. Jordan was really good in pass pro last night. Really good. Nice confirmation of it. His run blocking has looked good so far. Not great, but good. Way better than Peters. Herbig actually isn't horrible either. Pryor is killing people at times. I may need an explanation of what Matt Pryor did. He had to have gotten in a doghouse because he's clearly better than Herbig. 

Jordan's biggest issue is that of being a waist bender to me. It hurts him in the run game because he's reaching. I can remember being new to football and playing catch up. Blocking was really weird, especially in space. You tend to reach with your upper body a lot. Just not natural. He looks that way. 

To be honest, he looks like a kid that started playing in 8th grade and is on the varsity team as a 9th grader. The funny thing is, he kind of reminds me of another player, but I'm not getting into who it is. If he turns out as good, that's solid for the Eagles. Not a world beater, but one hell of a player from my area. 

You will notice as the game goes on, Jordan seems to get lazy in the run blocking and confused at times, we can forgive him, he is only 20 and playing his first official full NFL game. Herbig should be on right side, playing guard, that's his natural position, he was unmovable in the Rams game taking on Brockers and Donald. Herbig is very strong and has a nasty streak to him, we have something in both Herbig and Driscol, Driscol was bricking Chase Young all game till he left with cramps. This draft is turning out to be pretty good for us after years and years of bad drafting, Jordan needs to lock up the LT and make it his own and not give Dillard a chance to get it back...

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

Exactly.  Remember Winston Justice in his first start?  Even Vitai when he had his first start fans were ripping him.  People don't realize it can take time and they need real game experience.

He did fine.  We've seen veteran great players for us make mistakes like false starts, poor blocks, even Kelce with the bad snap.  Then we harp on a guy who was playing Rugby a few years ago in his first start for his mistakes.  It's a good performance to build on and see where it goes.  At this point with injuries they don't have much choice anyway.

Please don't remind us of the existence of Winston Justice

Thank you for posting that video will have a good look.

But just from my game memory I tried to watch him few snaps and was happy. He looks so damn big out there. I think about all the LTs in the league and Sundays game he looked like an NFL player. Raw but an NFL player.

10 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Here's a good breakdown of how he did.

Can we Jest recognize for a second how good a coach Jeff Stout is. I mean I always liked stoutland and have had a lot of trust in his ability to develop players and put them in the right spot, but what he is doing with the likes of Mailata, Driscoll, and Pryor is pretty special. You can tell they are not premium draft picks, but he has really coached them up. Makes me much more optimistic about a youth movement on our oline with athletes like Jordan Mailata, Prince Tega, Andre Dillard, and who knows who else.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Here's a good breakdown of how he did.

Really useful and balanced breakdown for Tra.

14 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

You will notice as the game goes on, Jordan seems to get lazy in the run blocking and confused at times, we can forgive him, he is only 20 and playing his first official full NFL game. Herbig should be on right side, playing guard, that's his natural position, he was unmovable in the Rams game taking on Brockers and Donald. Herbig is very strong and has a nasty streak to him, we have something in both Herbig and Driscol, Driscol was bricking Chase Young all game till he left with cramps. This draft is turning out to be pretty good for us after years and years of bad drafting, Jordan needs to lock up the LT and make it his own and not give Dillard a chance to get it back...

Jordan is 23 man. Still extremely young. Are you saying you think Herbig is a RG? I'm not as big on him as you. Back to Jordan...

Yeah, I don't think he got lazy, but not something to argue over as that's just subjective. 

I see a guy that is new to football and thinking. I said above and I'll say again, if anyone that played football started late or remembers the guy on their team that started really late it is all about playing time. Coaching my daughter's basketball team I can teach them how to shoot the lights out of the gym, dribble properly, pass the ball, set picks and run a few plays, but the second they get in a game against just one girl on the other team who has been playing against her big brothers since she was 4 years old ... that girl puts up 20 pounds in a 22-10 game. 

I remember football being very, very similar, especially in the run game. Get out in space and have zero clue what to do. He looked lost at times and it was all in space. Not doing anything. Needs to just put a hat on someone. We used to just scream at the new guys to hit anyone. When I was new they used to just make me hit anyone. If I didn't, I ran an extra mile after practice. Not sure you do that to an NFL player though. 😂

Either way, his pass pro was without a doubt both a positive game and better than Jason Peters, god rest his soul. Running game? Not so good. I mean, he blocks better than Zach Ertz...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stinkfist said:

We used to just scream at the new guys to hit anyone.

When I was in high school I was a wide receiver / defensive back (very small school -- football team couldn't afford to cut anyone who could stand on his own two legs) and we had this guy on the line who'd never played football. He was a big guy, too nice for football, but he could move really well for his size, and I kept telling him to hit people. One time he was like, "but the guy scored a touchdown already," and I told him, "I don't care if he scored a touchdown and then went out of bounds, hit him!"

Well, sure enough, about two weeks later we were on opposite sides of a bit of scrimmage, and I scored a touchdown and pulled up and this guy ran over me from behind. I got up and threw the ball at him and yelled at him that I'd scored a touchdown and was out of bounds, and he was like, "That's what you said!" I had to give it to him. I was like, "Yeah, alright. Do that to somebody else though." 

Pretty good for his first start. Keep starting him and he'll only get better. Already better then JP against the bungles.

The theme of Tra's breakdown seemed to be:

1. Got stronger the longer he went.

2. Needs to show his strength and be more aggressive.

Still, VERY good showing for our 3rd string tackle.  This guy may have a real future.

• Like 1