JP is back at LT and they put Milata at the RT

Traveler Vic

On 10/29/2020 at 3:13 PM, Vlad67 said:

Well...that will last till JP gets injured again...so maybe even the whole 1st quarter...

He'll be back in a few weeks to play another quarter.

Just enough to prevent anyone else from settling into the position.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Peters goes down right before halftime. Damn I am good...

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I completely missed that. Did he come back? My mind is blank and I can't remember. 

Says he played every snap on the snap count...

4 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Says he played every snap on the snap count...

Really?! Damn I am blind then. Swore I saw Mailata at least once on the left side of the line. My mistake

If I recall, JP got hurt on the last offensive play of the 1st half and then was back out there 2nd half.  He was hurt and stumbled off the field but was back out there.

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

If I recall, JP got hurt on the last offensive play of the 1st half and then was back out there 2nd half.  He was hurt and stumbled off the field but was back out there.

JP needs to stumble off to the fat man's couch like the test of us.

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

It was the last offensive play of our second to last offensive series. We got the ball 1 more time and Peters was out there for the kneel down. 

4 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

JP needs to stumble off to the fat man's couch like the test of us.

Yeah, I mean I guess he did okay but I didn't like seeing Mailata get moved. 

6 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Yeah, I mean I guess he did okay but I didn't like seeing Mailata get moved. 

It's great experience for Mailata. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

It's great experience for Mailata. 

For sure, but I'd rather see him be able to get comfortable at one spot than get moved around every few games because our coaching staff refuses to put 40 year old Peters out of his misery. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

For sure, but I'd rather see him be able to get comfortable at one spot than get moved around every few games because our coaching staff refuses to put 40 year old Peters out of his misery. 

Barring a trade, Dillard is probably going to be given every chance to be the starting LT next year. Because of the injury, he's unable to begin getting experience at RT, a position where he failed miserably to switch to his rookie year. Lane Jonhson, barring a trade, is in no danger of losing his starting RT job. That leaves the team searching for a swing tackle they can rely on to back up both sides. Enter Mailata, who has practiced extensively at LT his rookie year and RT since Dillard was drafted. Now he has starting experience at both positions and has shown some promise. This is huge moving forward.

A lot of people had completely given up on Peters because of a poor showing early this year. The dude still has some good football left in him and has experience that helps the rest of the guys out there. He also is a valuable mentor to the young offensive linemen on the team, something that doesn't get discussed enough around here because of all the bitterness and hate.

Finally, the Mailata development has opened up some options for the Eagles moving forward. They could decide to trade Peters to a LT needy team like Baltimore before the deadline passes. They could decide to trade Lane Johnson after the season. They could once again be open to trading Dillard. We don't yet know how the situation will play out, but just having a valuable swing tackle with upside is a good thing in itself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Barring a trade, Dillard is probably going to be given every chance to be the starting LT next year

And I sort of think this is how it should be. So far I don't think he's shown that he absolutely can't be our future LT. He may never be a top LT but I think he showed in games last year that he is a good player. 

On 10/30/2020 at 2:25 AM, Traveler Vic said:

Is this purposeful sabotage of Mailata's progress?? 

That's exactly what it is. Doug has been reading these boards and he knows that Howie might not get fired if a 7th round draft pick pans out, so he's willing to set his own players up for failure to make sure Howie gets fired. 

Occam's Razor never goes wrong. 

4 hours ago, wyote said:

That's exactly what it is. Doug has been reading these boards and he knows that Howie might not get fired if a 7th round draft pick pans out, so he's willing to set his own players up for failure to make sure Howie gets fired. 

Occam's Razor never goes wrong. 

I think the most obvious fact that gets completely missed by overreacting fans is that every single person in the organization stands to benefit from winning games. You hear some crazy conspiracies that make no sense along with unrealistic ideals (I.e. "the team should just tank ..." ) that if enacted, would cause the people responsible to lose their jobs and possibly damage their careers in the eyes of potential future employers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I think the most obvious fact that gets completely missed by overreacting fans is that every single person in the organization stands to benefit from winning games. You hear some crazy conspiracies that make no sense along with unrealistic ideals (I.e. "the team should just tank ..." ) that if enacted, would cause the people responsible to lose their jobs and possibly damage their careers in the eyes of potential future employers. 

It's been getting worse and worse over the years. Fewer people that have ever been part of a big organization, more and more people that have spent years playing Madden. 

10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Barring a trade, Dillard is probably going to be given every chance to be the starting LT next year. Because of the injury, he's unable to begin getting experience at RT, a position where he failed miserably to switch to his rookie year. Lane Jonhson, barring a trade, is in no danger of losing his starting RT job. That leaves the team searching for a swing tackle they can rely on to back up both sides. Enter Mailata, who has practiced extensively at LT his rookie year and RT since Dillard was drafted. Now he has starting experience at both positions and has shown some promise. This is huge moving forward.

A lot of people had completely given up on Peters because of a poor showing early this year. The dude still has some good football left in him and has experience that helps the rest of the guys out there. He also is a valuable mentor to the young offensive linemen on the team, something that doesn't get discussed enough around here because of all the bitterness and hate.

Finally, the Mailata development has opened up some options for the Eagles moving forward. They could decide to trade Peters to a LT needy team like Baltimore before the deadline passes. They could decide to trade Lane Johnson after the season. They could once again be open to trading Dillard. We don't yet know how the situation will play out, but just having a valuable swing tackle with upside is a good thing in itself. 

Those are fair points, unless they try to trade Dillard they will give him another shot at LT, so it would be good for Mailata to be competent at both tackle spots.  Peters certainly did better Sunday night than before he went out, but I'm not quite convinced yet that he has "good football" left in him.  I guess we'll see. 

Given O line injuries over the years, they should not get rid of any lineman except Peters should be done.  Dillard and Mailata can battle it out, and we'll see how Mailata does the rest of this year.  But both will be on the roster, they need depth.

• Like 3

On 11/4/2020 at 3:03 AM, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

, but I'm not quite convinced yet that he has "good football" left in him.  I guess we'll see. 

You are not convinced 'yet' that Peters has good football left in him ?????? You don't need to be convinced of anything but getting rid of Peters next year. If he is on the roster next year he will seriously affect the progress of a stable of young lineman the Eagles have...

It's not like the Eagles begged Peters to stay and got caught in a bidding war to keep him. They decided after last season to go a different direction. Then we had 2 key injuries before the season and made a calculated decision to bring him in as a stop-gap for 1 more year. You'll notice it was a 1-year deal, not 2. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It's not like the Eagles begged Peters to stay and got caught in a bidding war to keep him. They decided after last season to go a different direction. Then we had 2 key injuries before the season and made a calculated decision to bring him in as a stop-gap for 1 more year. You'll notice it was a 1-year deal, not 2. 

2 key injuries? Who were they to bud? Brooks and?

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Dillard.

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Peters was brought back before Dillard’s injury.  

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

1 hour ago, Jeep_man said:

Dillard.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Peters was brought back before Dillard’s injury.  

I was referring to Dillard, which did happen after the signing, but that's how Peters ended up at LT. 

I would imagine that if Peters finishes the year healthy, he'll look to play again next season. The only way it happens with the Eagles is if both Dillard and Mailata are hurt before the season (or 1 is traded and the other hurt). Even at that point, they might be happy with Driscoll and any possible addition they have after FA and the draft. They won't be spending JP money on JP in 2021. 

42 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I was referring to Dillard, which did happen after the signing, but that's how Peters ended up at LT. 

I would imagine that if Peters finishes the year healthy, he'll look to play again next season. The only way it happens with the Eagles is if both Dillard and Mailata are hurt before the season (or 1 is traded and the other hurt). Even at that point, they might be happy with Driscoll and any possible addition they have after FA and the draft. They won't be spending JP money on JP in 2021. 

I understood wanting to play JP at LT when he returned from injury solely because Mailata was likely the best option to play RT with both Johnson and Driscoll still out.  But once one of them return, I think the best lineup is putting Mailata back at LT (where he was clearly playing at a higher level overall this year compared to Peters), Herbig LG, Kelce OC, Peters RG, Johnson/Driscoll RT.  I’d like to think that’s what we will see but feel we’ll likely see JP at LT as long as he stays healthy just out of loyalty to the player.   All good ... just hope this is the last year we see him in a uniform here.  Now bringing him in as a coaching intern would be kinda cool.  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

I understood wanting to play JP at LT when he returned from injury solely because Mailata was likely the best option to play RT with both Johnson and Driscoll still out.  But once one of them return, I think the best lineup is putting Mailata back at LT (where he was clearly playing at a higher level overall this year compared to Peters), Herbig LG, Kelce OC, Peters RG, Johnson/Driscoll RT.  

I agree except I would put JP at LG and Herbig at RG. Herbig has played well in both spots. JP has played on the left side over 14 years. It does make a difference making that side change after that long. It was a great point out by Tra Thomas last week on WIP. When you think about it, makes total sense. 

• Like 1

JP is coming off his best game and I think playing as well as he can. I'm excited about Mailata and his future, but I still trust JP a little more at this time. In order to see the WRs develop and Wentz to get out of his funk, I think we need the best blocking we can get. I would continue to evaluate JP's level of play at LT and only turn to Mailata if he doesn't keep playing like he did last week.