JP is back at LT and they put Milata at the RT

Traveler Vic

10 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I agree except I would put JP at LG and Herbig at RG. Herbig has played well in both spots. JP has played on the left side over 14 years. It does make a difference making that side change after that long. It was a great point out by Tra Thomas last week on WIP. When you think about it, makes total sense. 

Yeah no doubt, great point.  

14 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

JP is coming off his best game and I think playing as well as he can. I'm excited about Mailata and his future, but I still trust JP a little more at this time. In order to see the WRs develop and Wentz to get out of his funk, I think we need the best blocking we can get. I would continue to evaluate JP's level of play at LT and only turn to Mailata if he doesn't keep playing like he did last week. 

I can understand your wanting to give Wentz the best blocking available. Unless Mailata is a big downgrade I'd play Mailata. He's not going to get any better sitting on the bench and and somebody who did not play American football until he came to the Eagles needs all the snaps he can get. If we looked like we might go deep in the playoffs I'd probably feel differently. We're about as likely to go deep into the playoffs as I am to spend a week naked with Megan Fox.

• Like 3

The key question is are you better off With Mailata LT and JP OG or JP LT and Pryor OG? I think we all know the answer to that question. 

16 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

You are not convinced 'yet' that Peters has good football left in him ?????? You don't need to be convinced of anything but getting rid of Peters next year. If he is on the roster next year he will seriously affect the progress of a stable of young lineman the Eagles have...

I agree, tell that to brkmsn who thinks he still has good football left in him 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

I agree, tell that to brkmsn who thinks he still has good football left in him 🤣

Doubt he would have been brought back if not for the injury to Brooks.  But still would have preferred to roll with Pryor and the other young OL.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eglz1 said:

I can understand your wanting to give Wentz the best blocking available. Unless Mailata is a big downgrade I'd play Mailata. He's not going to get any better sitting on the bench and and somebody who did not play American football until he came to the Eagles needs all the snaps he can get. If we looked like we might go deep in the playoffs I'd probably feel differently. We're about as likely to go deep into the playoffs as I am to spend a week naked with Megan Fox.

I don't think Mailata is a big downgrade. He's just less experienced and more likely to make a mistake or get schooled at a critical point in a game. Let's be honest, our QB is getting more pressures, hits and sacks against him than any other year he's played and he's also turning the ball over more than he ever has before. It's not a coincidence. So far this season, Mailata has had a great opportunity to get meaningful playing experience and he's been a pleasant surprise. However, he's not the only guy on the team getting a chance. We have a lot of WRs that are playing for the first time this year as well and the longer we hold the ball on offense, the more chances they get to develop as well. So you can say, let's evaluate Mailata and let him learn from his mistakes or you can keep him ready and play the more experienced guy so the offense potentially is more efficient, enabling more opportunities for some of the other young players.

7 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

He is just coming off a pretty good game --- his best of the season so far. I guess you don't want to admit it happened?

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

He is just coming off a pretty good game --- his best of the season so far. I guess you don't want to admit it happened?

I did admit that he did alright.  But if my choices are bank on him having "good football" left or give experience to one of the younger guys, it's a no brainer. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I don't think Mailata is a big downgrade. He's just less experienced and more likely to make a mistake or get schooled at a critical point in a game. Let's be honest, our QB is getting more pressures, hits and sacks against him than any other year he's played and he's also turning the ball over more than he ever has before. It's not a coincidence. So far this season, Mailata has had a great opportunity to get meaningful playing experience and he's been a pleasant surprise. However, he's not the only guy on the team getting a chance. We have a lot of WRs that are playing for the first time this year as well and the longer we hold the ball on offense, the more chances they get to develop as well. So you can say, let's evaluate Mailata and let him learn from his mistakes or you can keep him ready and play the more experienced guy so the offense potentially is more efficient, enabling more opportunities for some of the other young players.

Let's put in automotive terms - I hope the analogy works. You have a 2005 Camry. It has a ton of miles on it and breaks down quite often these days. But it's been very reliable until the last year or two so you feel some allegiance. You're offered the opportunity to get a new but unproven Camry for very favorable terms for the next couple years. But it's unproven. What to do?

I wonder if Peters would consider some sort of player coach position?

6 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Let's put in automotive terms - I hope the analogy works. You have a 2005 Camry. It has a ton of miles on it and breaks down quite often these days. But it's been very reliable until the last year or two so you feel some allegiance. You're offered the opportunity to get a new but unproven Camry for very favorable terms for the next couple years. But it's unproven. What to do?

I wonder if Peters would consider some sort of player coach position?

I think Peters enjoys playing the game --- unlike Shawn Andrews. He'll coach when he can't play anymore. He already stated, though, he'd play as long as he can. 

7 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

I did admit that he did alright.  But if my choices are bank on him having "good football" left or give experience to one of the younger guys, it's a no brainer. 

I explained my stance in the same post you quoted. I do agree that playing time is valuable, but I simply believe you take advantage of the natural opportunities. You don't force a player into playing time if you have a better option. Everybody on the team is depending on having the best guys out there.

When you look specifically at a player like Mailata, he had absolutely no football experience when he was drafted. Injuries forced him to start his first football game in his 3rd season. He showed tremendous promise. But how did a guy with no experience 3 years ago transition into a viable NFL OT without ever having played a game? The answer is: Because all the other stuff (practice, training, drills, film, etc..) is also effective in developing players. As fans we're obsessed with game experience because we can't watch practice or the work that is put into developing a player. We seem to think without that, they can't get better. That's just not true. Mailata is proof that the process works.

For you, it's a no-brainer. For the team, it's probably a no-brainer the other way. For me, as long as JP is playing well, I'm not worried about JP.

20 hours ago, time2rock said:

Doubt he would have been brought back if not for the injury to Brooks.  But still would have preferred to roll with Pryor and the other young OL.

The organization is really down on Pryor for some reason.  He went from the doghouse to the outhouse sometime this season.

It looks like Seumalo might be back at LG which moves Herbig to RG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

The organization is really down on Pryor for some reason.  He went from the doghouse to the outhouse sometime this season.

It looks like Seumalo might be back at LG which moves Herbig to RG.

Prior to the season starting, when it was first reported Brooks went down, practically everyone thought Pryor would be first in line to start in his place.  He did start in his place in the playoff game against Seattle last year IIRC.  My comment to have went with Pryor and the other young OL was reflective of what many of us were thinking then relating to Pryor.  But yeah, weird how he really fast-tracked himself to the outhouse, as you said.  I wonder if the move to add JP caused some resentment, and maybe he sulked or didn't play as hard as he should have and that is what led to him being on the outs.  

Anyway, it will be huge to get Seumalo back and shift Herbig over to RG - he had some lumps early but his level of play exceeds Pryor's and that happened in a relatively short time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Prior to the season starting, when it was first reported Brooks went down, practically everyone thought Pryor would be first in line to start in his place.  He did start in his place in the playoff game against Seattle last year IIRC.  My comment to have went with Pryor and the other young OL was reflective of what many of us were thinking then relating to Pryor.  But yeah, weird how he really fast-tracked himself to the outhouse, as you said.  I wonder if the move to add JP caused some resentment, and maybe he sulked or didn't play as hard as he should have and that is what led to him being on the outs.  

Anyway, it will be huge to get Seumalo back and shift Herbig over to RG - he had some lumps early but his level of play exceeds Pryor's and that happened in a relatively short time.  

I think Mailata-Seumalo-Kelce-Peters-Johnson is a better line than Peters-Seumalo-Kelce-Herbig-Johnson. That right side would return to a dominant run blocking side, which would really open up the whole offense. Also, if Peters' goal is to keep playing another 2 or 3 years, his best shot is at guard, a position he still has upper end ability for.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I explained my stance in the same post you quoted. I do agree that playing time is valuable, but I simply believe you take advantage of the natural opportunities. You don't force a player into playing time if you have a better option. Everybody on the team is depending on having the best guys out there.

When you look specifically at a player like Mailata, he had absolutely no football experience when he was drafted. Injuries forced him to start his first football game in his 3rd season. He showed tremendous promise. But how did a guy with no experience 3 years ago transition into a viable NFL OT without ever having played a game? The answer is: Because all the other stuff (practice, training, drills, film, etc..) is also effective in developing players. As fans we're obsessed with game experience because we can't watch practice or the work that is put into developing a player. We seem to think without that, they can't get better. That's just not true. Mailata is proof that the process works.

For you, it's a no-brainer. For the team, it's probably a no-brainer the other way. For me, as long as JP is playing well, I'm not worried about JP.

I'm not arguing that practice, training, and watching film haven't been instrumental in Mailata's development.  I realize that injuries forced him to start.  But since he has played fairly well, our division stinks, and expectations of the team are low, I would rather him continue playing and developing.  He hasn't cost us any games. 

The team was done with Peters as a left tackle anyway, they brought him back to play guard and only slid him over in desperation after multiple injuries.  Pederson will do what he's gonna do regardless, but he as well as the front office are known for relying too much on older players that are well past their expiration date. 

You say there's a "better option" than Mailata but I don't think it's that cut and dry.  This season Peters has played 3 bad games and 1 good game, and suffered yet another injury.  Mailata is less technically sound and will obviously experience some growing pains.  But he has played fairly well, is much younger and will likely get better every week. 

At this point, BEST CASE scenario for Peters is that he is a slight upgrade and would play the remaining 8 games respectably and retire.  WORST CASE scenario for Peters is he ends his career by getting carted off the field or getting beaten so bad he gets benched and then Mailata plays anyway by default. 

14 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't know who Seumalo has blackmail pics of but I'm always shocked at the beginning of every year when he somehow AGAIN wins the starting LG job.  I recall dozens of plays over the last few seasons where he gets beat and is standing there looking stupid while he watches Wentz get eaten alive on the ground.  I'd much rather them play Pryor or give Herbig/Driscoll a shot. 

Everyone is naturally worried about the O line protecting the QB but maybe if Wentz stopped holding the ball so long on every play there would be less injuries on the O line, who are forced into awkward positions as they struggle to hold back defenders. :whistle:

15 minutes ago, Big___Al said:

Driscoll is the LT of the future. Mailata needs reps elsewhere on the o-line.

Are you serious? Lol. Dillard was a 1st rounder and he still deserves a fair chance. If he doesn't pan out then Malatia has done more than enough to win the job. Plus, Driscoll doesnt even play LT. Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weedeater said:

Are you serious? Lol. Dillard was a 1st rounder and he still deserves a fair chance. If he doesn't pan out then Malatia has done more than enough to win the job. Plus, Driscoll doesnt even play LT. Lol

Ahh, man, brain cramp. But you know I meant Dillard.

1 hour ago, Big___Al said:

Ahh, man, brain cramp. But you know I meant Dillard.

No worries. Lol. Been there.

Big waste of space is Opeta. He's a swinging door. I doubt he could fight his way out of a brown paper bag.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:12 AM, DeathByEagle said:

The key question is are you better off With Mailata LT and JP OG or JP LT and Pryor OG? I think we all know the answer to that question. 

We do... Honestly I am wondering whether this is stemming from incompetent coaching (likely) or JP being JP (possibly).

Is peters a HOFer, absolutely. But it has always bugged me how stubborn he is when it comes to his role on this team. Being stubborn about a paycut? I will give him a pass on that. being stubborn about your position when you are no longer the best option is another thing. He has always been a 'me first' guy and couldn't give a damn about the future of this team once he is gone. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can't believe Mailata sits on the bench and we ride with Pryor at RG. Ridiculous management by Doug and his coaches. 

Doug is too sentimental about veterans.  It's also like they are addicted to Peters and can't move on from him.  

• Like 1