Amazon Lord of the Rings Show

opengeo

• 11 months later...

I was really excited to get to see other parts of Middle Earth. There is so much more outside of the movies we have so far. 

But maaaaaan, my expectations are getting really, really low at this point. 

They need at least a few episodes that feature Tom Bombadil

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, Mike030270 said:

They're financing it with all the money they save making those ten dollar budget horror films.

• 2 months later...

'Lord of the Rings' Amazon Series Sets Premiere Date - Variety

"The Lord of the Rings” series at Amazon officially has a premiere date.

The highly-anticipated epic fantasy series will debut on the streamer on Sept. 2, 2022, with new episodes dropping weekly after that. Filming was completed on the first season of the show on Aug. 2 in New Zealand. Amazon has also released the first official image from the series, which can be seen above.

Little is known about the plot of the series to date, including its official title, but it is known that it will take place during the so-called Second Age, thousands of years prior to the events of both "The Lord of the Rings” books and "The Hobbit.” The series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth.

• Like 1

from what i hear, looks like this will be about the end of the 2nd age when the rings of power were forged and the first downfall of sauron. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 10:20 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

Little is known about the plot of the series to date, including its official title, but it is known that it will take place during the so-called Second Age, thousands of years prior to the events of both "The Lord of the Rings” books and "The Hobbit.”

Does this premise turn anyone else off re: spin offs? So the thing I liked with the rivalries between families/houses etc and those specific characters are going to have nothing to do with this spin off, as they don't even exist and won't for hundreds or thousands of years? But I'm supposed to watch it and be hyped about it? I guess I have trust issues and just don't trust original ideas to that extent :lol: But in terms of ASOIAF/GoT, the way that show ended left such a bad taste in my mouth, I know I'm not in any hurry to watch that respective prequel whenever that comes out. 

I don't know enough about LoTR to know if there is a lot to look forward to with this. I guess there has to be with a budget as big as this and that alone will pique my interest. 

Well if Melkor/Morgoth are in it sounds like it will be pulling from the Silmarillion so NOT an original spinoff, per se, but pulling from the short stories that make up the Silmarillion.

11 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

Well if Melkor/Morgoth are in it sounds like it will be pulling from the Silmarillion so NOT an original spinoff, per se, but pulling from the short stories that make up the Silmarillion.

They think this is a flashback scene.  Similar to how the movies showed the defeat of Sauron 

On 8/7/2021 at 1:05 AM, iladelphxx said:

They think this is a flashback scene.  Similar to how the movies showed the defeat of Sauron 

Ahhh that would make sense...So many unknowns still make it hard to speculate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 2:15 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

from what i hear, looks like this will be about the end of the 2nd age when the rings of power were forged and the first downfall of sauron. 

I'm reading that Numenor will play a role, so that fits with your assessment.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Aside from the title cards popping up intermittently, there is nothing that ties it to Middle Earth. Maybe some stuff that a Tolkien deep cut enthusiast would recognize but that’s it. 

The cgi looks good, which is what I expect most people care about at this point. Except that part with the dagger in the ice. The person’s face looked like a video game. 

I am sure the next trailer will expound on the story more.  But the trailer didn’t just wow me. I didn’t like The Hobbit, so I hope they don’t make some of the same mistakes that trilogy made. 

edit: lol "b.l.o.w. m.e. away” was censored

• 4 months later...