Amazon Lord of the Rings Show

opengeo

4 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Yeah - some tough critics in here.  I thought the first two episodes were pretty great, personally.  

Wouldn’t go as far as great but it’s been good. Definitely has held my attention. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 8:40 PM, homerpat said:

similar to wheel of time, it’s not perfect, but the criticism is over the top and a bit ridiculous 

That's my biggest criticism so far.  Too often it gives off generic fantasy vibes.  I hope they tweak the script writing team in the future.  On the bright side, wow does Numenor look fantastic, everything about it from the costumes the sets the architecture.  Trying hard to remember a fantasy city that looked that good.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 9:40 AM, Mike030270 said:

You guys are nuts. It looks amazing. Upgrade your tv

You can complain about it not being accurate to the books and that's fair

Reveal hidden contents

I'd like it to keep the main plot that the humans got 9 rings, dwarfs got 7 and they were all made by Sauron. The elfs made 3 rings that were made using the technique of Sauron and they're all connected to the one ring

In the Shadow of Mordor games it sounded like Celebrimbor forged all of the rings but maybe I misinterpreted

Yeah IDK what people are ****ing about. I want nothing to do w HoD after the way GoT ended, so I'm staying away from that for as long as possible. I know its different writers, GRRM is involved, etc - I don't care. I don't care for the universe anymore and the walking around in gardens politicking over a throne

that Bran ends up getting nominated to sit on, for reasons*.

The appeal to that world is not as interesting anymore after how the last show runners crapped all over it. 

I guess this is partially why I'm so open to something different from the fantasy genre. I was never a huge LOTR fan, didn't read the books and only seen the movies once through, close to 20 years ago I guess. But it's giving me everything I wanted. A bounce around in different areas of the universe story with different protagonists in each spot with some nods to characters I sorta recall from years ago the last time I was familiar with the material. I'm sold.

I gotta believe that if this was on HBO on Sunday nights instead of Amazon Prime on Fridays a lot more people would be too. I'm convinced people just like what they're told to like which is why people are raving about HoD and mum is the word on this show thus far. Give it time and a decent story to go with the awesome visuals and hopefully it catches up. 

Ep.4 gave a glimpse to the scope of what is going to be covered in this series.  It's going to be HUGE when this gets rocking.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:40 PM, Mike030270 said:

You guys are nuts. It looks amazing. Upgrade your tv

You can complain about it not being accurate to the books and that's fair

Hide contents

I'd like it to keep the main plot that the humans got 9 rings, dwarfs got 7 and they were all made by Sauron. The elfs made 3 rings that were made using the technique of Sauron and they're all connected to the one ring

It’s not the TV. The CGI looks fake. For a billion bucks I should be getting virtual elf BJs indistinguishable from reality.

32 minutes ago, TEW said:

It’s not the TV. The CGI looks fake. For a billion bucks I should be getting virtual elf BJs indistinguishable from reality.

The only cgi that pulled me out was when she was climbing the ice wall n episode 1 and they showed a top down shot and she looked into the camera. Other than that I can’t recall anything egregious.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Weaponx01 said:

The only cgi that pulled me out was when she was climbing the ice wall n episode 1 and they showed a top down shot and she looked into the camera. Other than that I can’t recall anything egregious.

I’ve only watched the first episode and the CGI was awful. The ice wall, the troll, and just sets in general we’re bad. But like I said that’s one (horrible in basically every way) episode. Maybe it improves.

I've enjoyed it so far. I would say the only annoying thing is the Harfoot story with the stranger is getting nowhere, not a single clue to who he is or what he's doing there. Didn't read the books so maybe that's why.

On 9/17/2022 at 7:05 PM, TEW said:

calm down, snowflake. 

3 hours ago, devpool said:

I've enjoyed it so far. I would say the only annoying thing is the Harfoot story with the stranger is getting nowhere, not a single clue to who he is or what he's doing there. Didn't read the books so maybe that's why.

one of the wizards. 

caught up finally. Will never understand why so many rooting against success of this show. It’s not perfect, but it’s nowhere near the piece of crap the LOTR gatekeepers make it seem like. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, homerpat said:

caught up finally. Will never understand why so many rooting against success of this show. It’s not perfect, but it’s nowhere near the piece of crap the LOTR gatekeepers make it seem like. 

the gatekeepers need to crawl back under their rocks. the silmarillon was a book of mostly unfinished works from tolkien that spanned two ages which never got to final draft. his son finished the stories and edited it. 

staying true to a story that was already altered seems to be some serious knit picking IMO. 

• Like 1

I've enjoyed so far - I love learning about how Middle Earth ended up the way it did leading up the time of LOTR.  Zero complaints from me about the CGI, etc

• Like 3

the actual chapter "of the rings of power and the 3rd age" is only 20 pages long. it's a brief outline, with very little detail, of the end of the 2nd age and start of the 3rd. this is what people are getting bent out of shape. f'ng nerds.  :roll: 

• Thanks 1

Those who reference money spent do realize that they had to pay half a bill just to have the right to try and make the show and then dumped a boatload on advertising. So yeah the show is expensive as crap even after dropping the original money and advertising, but as stated earlier who cares if they flesh out an outline of fake history trying to make an interesting entertaining show

Im obsessed with Brandon Sanderson and would kill for Mistborn or Stormlight Archive, but I also realize it will never be perfect and unless it’s a complete turd I’ll be happy it was made. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 7:05 PM, TEW said:

Let's be real, woke Middle earth never had a chance in Hell with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think this show is edging out HoD so far and has the potential to pull away.  The scope they are alluding to is simply massive, basically crashing the entire 2nd age into one distilled story.  Meanwhile HoD needs confusing time jumps just to tell the story of a single family.  RoP isn't perfect, but I can say I'm genuinely eager to watch the spectacle.

• Like 1