Amazon Lord of the Rings Show

opengeo

15 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

One of them has 3 kids and the others have 1 each, but I consider it a misspent childhood that none of them have let go of.  I couldn't give a toss about Tolkien or Mordor or any of that shite (same as people's obsession with Terry Pratchett's books, don't get it), but it is entertaining seeing them pick it apart.

A lot of people hate it because it "doesn't stay true to the source material", but as someone in here pointed out there isn't really that much about the second age in the silmarillion. And even if there was, the Tolkien estate wouldn't give the rights to the silmarillion.

So the people who wanna bish about it not being "accurate" (not saying your friends are those) can blame the Tolkien estate.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, devpool said:

A lot of people hate it because it "doesn't stay true to the source material", but as someone in here pointed out there isn't really that much about the second age in the silmarillion. And even if there was, the Tolkien estate wouldn't give the rights to the silmarillion.

So the people who wanna bish about it not being "accurate" (not saying your friends are those) can blame the Tolkien estate.

I've had some comments about X never did that, Y didn't speak to/meet Z because of etc.  I get it as these are prequels, and I know modern studios have a tendency to wave a hand at storyline continuity at times but are too lazy to try and make it sense episode by episode or over series.

They did heartily recommend House of Dragons which I wasn't going to bother with after how shite GoT ended.

15 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

I've had some comments about X never did that, Y didn't speak to/meet Z because of etc.  I get it as these are prequels, and I know modern studios have a tendency to wave a hand at storyline continuity at times but are too lazy to try and make it sense episode by episode or over series.

They did heartily recommend House of Dragons which I wasn't going to bother with after how shite GoT ended.

I've been watching both and IMO the LOTR show is much better 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 3:14 PM, Mike030270 said:

I know the reports say it's going to take a while for season 2 but I doubt that. Pandemic played a huge part in the slowness before

Also apparently the huge budget that was released had the rights included in it. So season 2 should be cheaper

Oh for sure. The rights were more than production and advertising combined. Always find it funny when fans complain they spent too much. Who cares?  There’s no salary cap. If Amazon wants to make the talentless family of an amazing writer rich, go for it

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DEagle7 said:

I've been watching both and IMO the LOTR show is much better 

One just replied to me "Lol, no, not even close. SFX better, script better and acting better on HoD. Andor is better than both IMHO"

10 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

One just replied to me "Lol, no, not even close. SFX better, script better and acting better on HoD. Andor is better than both IMHO"

Agreed on Andor but HoD sucks so far. The acting and the effects are fine but the story blows. Couldn't care less about pretty much every single main character. 5 minutes of sweet CGI dragon shots didn't come close to making up for that for me. I'll give it a long leash but so far...meh. 

I don't mind the acting in this show. It's kinda silly, over the top and overly dramatic sometimes but that seems purposeful.  That was the case even in Jackson's movies and it just works for LOTR somehow. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Your friends are effing blind if they think HoD looks better.  HBO clearly hedged their bets with the budget over there.  Script and acting we can debate on but one show is absolutely gorgeous and the other is absolutely not.

6 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

I disagree on the script, to this day I have not been able to make it past episode 1 of HOD without falling asleep. Probably tried 5 different times now, none of the characters are interesting at all

I've not seen HoD, been busy and had better things to do with my time esp as I've read the book already. I have seen way, way, way more social media buzz about that, than Rings of Power. And Dahmer - Monster too.

And apparently it's really obvious who Sauron is- from very early on apparently. I didn't realise Sauron was a person until it was explained to me in great detail last week - I thought it was a mountain 😆

13 minutes ago, devpool said:

I disagree on the script, to this day I have not been able to make it past episode 1 of HOD without falling asleep. Probably tried 5 different times now, none of the characters are interesting at all

I did find the HoD book a stretch at times; very repetitive and a GRRM pointless wander for no reason at times.  Can't comment on what they did with the program though

1 minute ago, UK Eagle said:

I've not seen HoD, been busy and had better things to do with my time esp as I've read the book already. I have seen way, way, way more social media buzz about that, than Rings of Power. And Dahmer - Monster too.

And apparently it's really obvious who Sauron is- from very early on apparently. I didn't realise Sauron was a person until it was explained to me in great detail last week - I thought it was a mountain 😆

I did find the HoD book a stretch at times; very repetitive and a GRRM pointless wander for no reason at times.  Can't comment on what they did with the program though

People say Sauron is very obvious and then they all name different people lol. I'm pretty sure I've heard every main male character besides isildur and elondir speculated as sauron, so maybe 5 different people (halbrand, stranger, adar, arondir, Theo for some reason). 

I think a lot of the buzz around HoD is that GoT is fairly recent, LotR hasn't had content since what, 2003? While LotR has an enormous fanbase, I think recency bias helps HoD a lot. HoD is apparently also a lot more racy and scandalous than RoP (from what I've heard, which tracks for GoT and of course LotR isn't about that), and people nowadays love incest drama for some reason. 

Idk I love RoP, I really look forward to watching every Friday. I just re watched the extended trilogy the last couple of days while traveling because RoP has me back in the world

• Like 1

If it's the Stranger we are talking about, I'm not buying it.  The Stranger is Gandalf.  The trailer for finale is throwing a red herring.  I still think Halbrand is the Witch king.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people have to make it a competition LOL - it isn't our money.  Why can't you like them both?  I watch them both, and really like them both.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Your friends are effing blind if they think HoD looks better.  HBO clearly hedged their bets with the budget over there.  Script and acting we can debate on but one show is absolutely gorgeous and the other is absolutely not.

Yeah, I prefer story, acting, most everything on HoD over RoP, but visually its not close IMO. RoP is beautiful visually. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boogyman said:

Yeah, I prefer story, acting, most everything on HoD over RoP, but visually its not close IMO. RoP is beautiful visually. 

The water/volcano scene was fantastic

6 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

If it's the Stranger we are talking about, I'm not buying it.  The Stranger is Gandalf.  The trailer for finale is throwing a red herring.  I still think Halbrand is the Witch king.

I don't think the stranger is sauron, and I don't think he's Gandalf either. They don't need to shoehorn Gandalf into a series where they've already made up almost half of the main characters, he can be some other wizard and it'll be perfectly fine. Gandalf isn't supposed to be around at this time.

I also believe halbrand is going to end up being the witch king

16 hours ago, devpool said:

People say Sauron is very obvious and then they all name different people lol. I'm pretty sure I've heard every main male character besides isildur and elondir speculated as sauron, so maybe 5 different people (halbrand, stranger, adar, arondir, Theo for some reason). 

I think a lot of the buzz around HoD is that GoT is fairly recent, LotR hasn't had content since what, 2003? While LotR has an enormous fanbase, I think recency bias helps HoD a lot. HoD is apparently also a lot more racy and scandalous than RoP (from what I've heard, which tracks for GoT and of course LotR isn't about that), and people nowadays love incest drama for some reason. 

Idk I love RoP, I really look forward to watching every Friday. I just re watched the extended trilogy the last couple of days while traveling because RoP has me back in the world

Apparently Sauron has been in every episode in a not subtle way and I will leave it there. And no, it's not Lenny Henry. And Gandalf is kinda obvious too I'm told. And no. its not Lenny Henry.

The thing with HoD, people like me saw how GoT ended and just thought, eff that, not interested in another part baked slop fest or another distraction for GRRM while he sat on his ass not finishing WoW.  I'll get around to it

29 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Apparently Sauron has been in every episode in a not subtle way and I will leave it there. And no, it's not Lenny Henry. And Gandalf is kinda obvious too I'm told. And no. its not Lenny Henry.

The thing with HoD, people like me saw how GoT ended and just thought, eff that, not interested in another part baked slop fest or another distraction for GRRM while he sat on his ass not finishing WoW.  I'll get around to it

Dude, do you have any more opinions about 2 shows you haven't seen?  Catch up my man!

• Haha 2

WOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!  Absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!  What an amazing finale.  Late breaking curveballs, deaths that hurt and STUNNING visually.  Tolkien fans should be absolutely stoked at what they have accomplished.

7 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Dude, do you have any more opinions about 2 shows you haven't seen?  Catch up my man!

Yeah.  Entourage is crap (never seen it), Tiger King would never have been big if COVID lockdowns didn't happen (never seen it), the Masked Singer is a desperate attempt to fill the airwaves and the Masked Dancer could be replaced with gifs and no one would realise.

And I've never seen the Office, UK or US variants either.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Yeah.  Entourage is crap (never seen it), Tiger King would never have been big if COVID lockdowns didn't happen (never seen it), the Masked Singer is a desperate attempt to fill the airwaves and the Masked Dancer could be replaced with gifs and no one would realise.

And I've never seen the Office, UK or US variants either.

You know what, I'm with you about every single thing just said.  Carry on.  But your so called Tolkien friends are idiots, find new ones.

That finale was pretty rough. I was interested in the show for awhile but that finale might of killed my interest in the show. 

Also yes…House of the Dragon is superior & is about to get really good

On 10/13/2022 at 11:37 PM, devpool said:

I don't think the stranger is sauron, and I don't think he's Gandalf either. They don't need to shoehorn Gandalf into a series where they've already made up almost half of the main characters, he can be some other wizard and it'll be perfectly fine. Gandalf isn't supposed to be around at this time.

I also believe halbrand is going to end up being the witch king

i called the stranger to be one of the wizards from the get go.

Spoiler

looking back now, it seems obvious it would be gandalf considering who he has been tagging along with. although, seeing how he dispensed the wraiths (moths/butterflies) maybe he's radagast ?  

Spoiler

either way they are not staying accurate to what little material is there to work from, so moving up the timeline of when the wizards arrive in middle earth is not too surprising. 

halbrand being sauron was a good twist. while they expanded on the canon version, there is the story of him appearing as a man and having a time where he actually wanted to do good. 

18 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i called the stranger to be one of the wizards from the get go.

Reveal hidden contents

looking back now, it seems obvious it would be gandalf considering who he has been tagging along with. although, seeing how he dispensed the wraiths (butterflies) maybe he's radagast ?  

Reveal hidden contents

either way they are not staying accurate to what little material is there to work from, so moving up the timeline of when the wizards arrive in middle earth is not too surprising. 

halbrand being sauron was a good twist. while they expanded on the canon version, there is the story of him appearing as a man and having a time where he actually wanted to do good. 

Spoiler

I've never read the books, but from what I've read online he had Celebrimbor and the elves fooled for a bit, right?