Amazon Lord of the Rings Show

opengeo

19 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Let's be real, woke Middle earth never had a chance in Hell with you.

I watch new GOT, which is basically a feminist propaganda production. But it’s entertaining, and doesn’t visually look absolutely ridiculous.

The woke aspect of LoTR is honestly the least offensive part of it. 

13 hours ago, TEW said:

I watch new GOT, which is basically a feminist propaganda production. But it’s entertaining, and doesn’t visually look absolutely ridiculous.

The woke aspect of LoTR is honestly the least offensive part of it. 

FFS a t.v. show is offensive to you? :roll:

Yea not seeing the hate for this show at all, I'm really enjoying it. Even if I weren't interested in how they develop the Celebrimbor plot, how can anyone (who enjoyed the movies and books) not be interested in Isildur's story? Looking at how he's been written so far and knowing where he ends up, how is that not a draw? I'm eager to see how that plays out

• Like 1

rewatched the LoTR trilogy extended while waiting for next episode of Power and my opinion on original trilogy changed. I used to like Two Towers best but now I actually prefer Fellowship and Return better. I think the humor with Gimli didn’t hold and the effects being dated didn’t make up for some sub par parts of the story. All 3 still great. just interesting my opinion changed with first rewatch in over a decade. 

I'm all in after episode 5.  All 4 storylines are interesting, have a mystery to be solved, have amazing sights of Middle earth to behold and at least one character I'm invested in.  They all portend to something absolutely huge going on, with maybe the Harfoots and the stranger being the key to it all.  The favorite has to be Elrond & Durin though, what a joy they are, even better than the Gimli-Legolas banter of the books and movies (yes the books I said). And those gorgeous set pieces of the first age are just bonkers beautiful, this time with the tree of the Valar and the Balrog.

Galadriel v.s. Numenor v.s. Rising Evil.  Adar v.s. Arondir.  Nori & The Stranger v.s the White Cloaks.  Elrond, Durin & the mystery of Mithril.  Sauron lurking way in the background as he should be.  It started out a bit uneven but this is looking like a roaring success now.  Even the maligned script has taken a distinctly more Tolkien turn (episode 5 has a good half dozen lines I could 100% believe were dropped by the pipe smoking master himself) and finally injected consistent humor.

And that song. Feel good fantasy at its best.

• Like 2

yeah ep 5 was great. there are def parts of the silmarillion in the show. one of characters revealed his true intentions this week. 

3 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

As stoked as I was last week, this week was a massive egg.  

The last ep was probably the best so far....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mat said:

yeah weird. I loved this episode. 

On 10/2/2022 at 2:37 AM, Mat said:

A lot of people think so, it was the 1st "action" episode for sure.  It had some nice twists.

Best episode yet.  Really leaned into all the best characters.  The two weakest plotlines have merged into 1 awesome one, Mordor looks great.  Elrond & durin & Disa shined again, what a joy those 3 are and the stakes are enormous.  Stranger and the harfoots also broke out with its best episode.

9 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I really enjoy the dynamic between Elrond and Durin

Agreed. Durin is fantastic

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Sucks it's only 8 episodes

Yea this last episode has to either be fairly long or wrap up a ton of stuff. Otherwise the second season needs to be relatively close to happening, not like stranger things 2 years between seasons. 

Update from friends who are into LOTR.  Painfully slow and boring overall, GoT travel times to hide lazy writing and Morfydd Clark can't act that well and the showrunners hiding that fact, is more entertaining than some of the program is. The positive take is season 1 should be better for the price they paid but season 2 can/will learn from those lessons, and the more critical take is Tolkien is spinning in his grave, this is garbage.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Update from friends who are into LOTR.  Painfully slow and boring overall, GoT travel times to hide lazy writing and Morfydd Clark can't act that well and the showrunners hiding that fact, is more entertaining than some of the program is. The positive take is season 1 should be better for the price they paid but season 2 can/will learn from those lessons, and the more critical take is Tolkien is spinning in his grave, this is garbage.

I'd tell your friends they need to get laid :roll: 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 1:27 PM, Mike030270 said:

Sucks it's only 8 episodes

Averaging over 70minutes an episode so S1 will be about the same length as special edition Jackson Trilogy.  But 2 years waiting for S2 will suck donkey nuts.

On a side note for all the Sauron speculation, I don't think any current character is Sauron, I think he gets introduced by Celebrimbor as new character.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Averaging over 70minutes an episode so S1 will be about the same length as special edition Jackson Trilogy.  But 2 years waiting for S2 will suck donkey nuts.

On a side note for all the Sauron speculation, I don't think any current character is Sauron, I think he gets introduced by Celebrimbor as new character.

I don't understand any reason why it should take 2 years - they already knew this was gonna be what, 5 seasons?  Quit F'ing around!

1 minute ago, mikemack8 said:

I don't understand any reason why it should take 2 years - they already knew this was gonna be what, 5 seasons?  Quit F'ing around!

I don't know but when you go to the movie theater you can still feel the effects of the pandemic.  Amazon played it even more conservative than most and they have been painfully slow at getting new material out (see:  The Boys).  I guess they couldn't film multiple seasons and so they are just starting to film it now.

• Like 1

I know the reports say it's going to take a while for season 2 but I doubt that. Pandemic played a huge part in the slowness before

Also apparently the huge budget that was released had the rights included in it. So season 2 should be cheaper

6 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

I'd tell your friends they need to get laid :roll: 

One of them has 3 kids and the others have 1 each, but I consider it a misspent childhood that none of them have let go of.  I couldn't give a toss about Tolkien or Mordor or any of that shite (same as people's obsession with Terry Pratchett's books, don't get it), but it is entertaining seeing them pick it apart.