Reagor over Jefferson

Philthy Jawn

Bleeding Green Nation. "Early on, Eagles passing on Justin Jefferson to draft Jalen Reagor is looking like a mistake"

The story above is damning.  But given Wentz's shocking regression, the O-line problems, and poor play-calling, can anyone be sure that JJ would have thrived here?  On the one hand Minnesota is definitely experiencing its own share of problems, yet it's clear that our team is in a league of its own (both figuratively and literally, given the state of the NFC East).

That being said, I can't imagine that Howie will retain the same powers going into the offseason.  Passing up on both Metcalf and Jefferson is too much for any organization to bear, especially when JJAW has been reduced to a healthy scratch on gameday. 

Unbelievable..........31 teams passed in Metcalf twice.  Seattle took LJ Collier in the first round....a guy who ended his rookie season with 3 f------ tackles.

But yeah, let's single out roseman......

And Jefferson?  Only idiots compare rookies after 10 games. 

Roseman isn't going anywhere and he's going to retain FULL GM powers after the season........Regardless of what the fans and media think....

I think Jefferson Jay-walked one time when he was in middle school so roseman took him off the Eagles board because he doesn’t meet the high character criteria 

10 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Unbelievable..........31 teams passed in Metcalf twice.  Seattle took LJ Collier in the first round....a guy who ended his rookie season with 3 f------ tackles.

Roseman isn't going anywhere and he's going to retain FULL GM powers after the season........Regardless of what the fans and media think....

We are talking about Howie Roseman because he is the GM of our team.  No one cares what the other GMs did or didn't do.  

We can look at the draft record and conclude that ours has no idea what he is doing.  Proof of that is available on Sunday each week.

It's past time to make a change.

Right now it doesn't look great. But to make this judgement after 9-10 games of their rookie seasons is pretty crazy. 

And here's the thing... But could go on to have really really good NFL careers. Both could go on to have great careers.

Or perhaps Reagor with his athleticism really puts it together after gaining more experience on the field. I mean he hasn't even been poor let's be honest. He's shown flashes, he's shown versatility and he's shown toughness. He missed a few games due to injury too so I mean to be saying Howie made the wrong pick already is crazy talk. 

Jefferson was always the safer pick. He was always the one more likely to have a greater impact in his first year because he was a more polished route runner. But Reagor absolutely has a higher ceiling.

I swear Gowton writes more "Eagles should have done X" articles than the other Eagles writers combined. Maybe that's why he's still writing for SB Nation.

Jefferson and Tee Higgins were better options. Eagles are the new Lions when it comes to drafting wrs

I like Reagor, and I think he'll be a nice player and develop into a really good deep threat, but it's tough to watch a Vikings game and not come away with the impression that Jefferson is already one of the better receivers in the league. It's not going to wind up being like the JJAW/Metcalf travesty because Reagor will probably become a good receiver for us, but it's tough to think we got the better receiver in the deal.

The injuries to Reagor have been unfortunate, but at least they weren't anything major or things we have to worry about being chronic issues. He was originally drafted to replace Jackson as the starting Z. They didn't expect him to come right in and beat out a healthy DJax. The slow return of Jeffery provided him with an opportunity to play as the X to begin the season. So he practiced a lot in that role. Then, of course, he had the thumb injury and Fulgham emerged as the clear leader at X, while Hightower struggled a bit to replace the injured Jackson at Z. So Reagor gets shifted back to Z (where they envisioned him in the first place) and people are freaking out (I guess?) because he doesn't look like a polished product yet? Lol. 

Reagor has done 2 things so far that I didn't like: He muffed his 1st attempt to field a punt in the NFL and then last Sunday he made a terrible decision to let the long punt go. Those are rookie mistakes and I'm pretty sure he's still a rookie. 

Hopefully we can find a way to get Reagor more involved each week and hopefully he can provide a much needed spark. 

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

I agree with this part... and the part about Roseman sticking around

Just a heads up, I did question whether or not Jefferson would have thrived here given our multiple and simultaneous crises.  So you can read that as questioning the comparison.  But I do agree with the point in the article about drafting for a specific need versus drafting for all-around talent.  I was listening to the radio, and Baldy confessed that after the draft, the Vikings FO called him to ask how the Eagles could have been so foolish in passing over JJ.  They were both ecstatic and astounded.  Also, it seems as if many people fell into the trap of thinking of Jefferson as a pure slot receiver whereas as Minnesota saw him as a versatile player who could be run multiple routes. 

Finally, why are folks convinced that Howie retains full power?  If this team goes 3-12-1 or 4-11-1, do you think Roseman survives with his powers intact?

1 minute ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Just a heads up, I did question whether or not Jefferson would have thrived here given our multiple and simultaneous crises.  So you can read that as questioning the comparison.  But I do agree with the point in the article about drafting for a specific need versus drafting for all-around talent.  I was listening to the radio, and Baldy confessed that after the draft, the Vikings FO called him to ask how the Eagles could have been so foolish in passing over JJ.  They were both ecstatic and astounded.  Also, it seems as if many people fell into the trap of thinking of Jefferson as a pure slot receiver whereas as Minnesota saw him as a versatile player who could be run multiple routes. 

Also, why are folks convinced that Howie retains full power?  If this team goes 3-12-1 or 4-11-1, do you think Roseman survives with his powers intact?

Laurie is completely blind when it comes to Howie... dumping him is a total non-starter. He may shake up the coaching staff, which would also be justified. But he is never gonna be the guy who calls howie out for his trash drafting ability and kick it down the road contract negotiations. 

2 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

Laurie is completely blind when it comes to Howie... dumping him is a total non-starter. He may shake up the coaching staff, which would also be justified. But he is never gonna be the guy who calls howie out for his trash drafting ability and kick it down the road contract negotiations. 

I think Lurie is way too close to Howie, who is something of a second son to him.  So, what I think happens is that Roseman is shifted into a Banner-type role, which is really what he is best suited for, imho.

5 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

Finally, why are folks convinced that Howie retains full power?  If this team goes 3-12-1 or 4-11-1, do you think Roseman survives with his powers intact?

How often do you see coaches/GM get fired 3 years after winning a Super Bowl, and making playoffs twice after that? Howie and Doug will be here to start 2021 season no matter the record at end of this season

3 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I think Lurie is way too close to Howie, who is something of a second son to him.  So, what I think happens is that Roseman is shifted into a Banner-type role, which is really what he is best suited for, imho.

Yeah I could see that if it gets really bad, it seems we are in agreement that Howie is not going anywhere. I just hope that someone who knows how to evaluate talent takes over... soon. 

Just now, Portyansky said:

JJ is also having better #s bc the D is trying to figure out how to stop Cook.

That’s also a good point. Cook has been best RB in football, also having Thielen across from him helps out also. 

Issue is we dont have offensive playcalling or qb ability to properly utilize reagor, Jefferson or Fing metcalf so it doesn't matter who we draft.

1 hour ago, Dwide Schrude said:

How often do you see coaches/GM get fired 3 years after winning a Super Bowl, and making playoffs twice after that? Howie and Doug will be here to start 2021 season no matter the record at end of this season

Unless there is something going on behind the scenes like with Chip Kelly.  There's been rumors of a power struggle and some tension between Howie and DP.  One of them could be gone after this season.

1 hour ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I don't see him getting fired, just shifted to a Banner-type role in which he works contracts and trades, with collaborative but not final input on personnel.

1 minute ago, 315Eagles said:

Unless there is something going on behind the scenes like with Chip Kelly.  There's been rumors of a power struggle and some tension between Howie and DP.  One of them could be gone after this season.

If that’s true that changes things, but I also don’t know much of that could be made up for clicks. Some Philly writers can be notorious for that

5 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

But can we talk about how a practice squad guy that they cut at one point is outperforming a bunch of howie picks?  Or that howie gave Peter’s $3m extra keep the trainers busy taping his legs back on while a 7th round flier that clearly is better at this point rots on the bench.  Or how bout the absurd contract he gave to alshon "white men can jump higher than me” jeffrey?  Do we give him a pass on cutting Douglas and Jones who evidently can ball but we had to keep a bunch of 5’3” corners because they teach howie how dance at practice and pregame?  

for every one instance you can come up with about how great howie is, there’s 10 failures that I don’t even have to try to come up with. 

19 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I don't see him getting fired, just shifted to a Banner-type role in which he works contracts and trades, with collaborative but not final input on personnel.

Ah ok I see. Yeah that’s definitely possible

Archived