Reagor over Jefferson

Philthy Jawn

21 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

JJ has a stud in Adam Thielen that takes away a lot of the coverage as well as the best RB in the league right now which opens up routes underneath. He is excelling because the defense focuses on other parts of the team and not him. If he was here, the focus would be on him.

DK Metcalf might do well here but who knows. He is slow out of his breaks (his cone time was slower then Tom Brady at the combine) and his best asset is beating CBs at the line of scrimmage and getting deep. Russell Wilson is probably the best deep ball thrower in the league and this is something that Carson Wentz struggles with. DK fell into the absolute right situation for him to succeed. I do not believe he would be as good anywhere else in the league.

While I usually like to wait a couple years to see how players turn out, JJAW at this point is probably not going to make it in the league. It happens.

The scheme that the Eagles like to employ makes more use of the intermediate and short passes, usually out of a 2 TE set. That is typically what they have ran over the last couple of years. This year who the hell knows as it is all over the place.

I’m glad you said that. The Eagles scheme, whatever the hell it is, is unimaginative, uninspiring and at times just flat out terrible. It’s time to start drafting obviously talented players and building a scheme around them, not passing on guys because they supposedly don’t fit our horrible scheme. If they thought JJAW was a better fit for the "scheme” then Metcalf then it’s time for a new scheme. 

3 hours ago, pallidrone said:

JJ has a stud in Adam Thielen that takes away a lot of the coverage as well as the best RB in the league right now which opens up routes underneath. He is excelling because the defense focuses on other parts of the team and not him. If he was here, the focus would be on him.

DK Metcalf might do well here but who knows. He is slow out of his breaks (his cone time was slower then Tom Brady at the combine) and his best asset is beating CBs at the line of scrimmage and getting deep. Russell Wilson is probably the best deep ball thrower in the league and this is something that Carson Wentz struggles with. DK fell into the absolute right situation for him to succeed. I do not believe he would be as good anywhere else in the league.

While I usually like to wait a couple years to see how players turn out, JJAW at this point is probably not going to make it in the league. It happens.

The scheme that the Eagles like to employ makes more use of the intermediate and short passes, usually out of a 2 TE set. That is typically what they have ran over the last couple of years. This year who the hell knows as it is all over the place

DK would have been perfect for Wentz because of his athleticism and ability to improvise on plays.  And with both of those attributes, I think we would have witnessed less interceptions and more big-yard plays from Wentz.  

1 hour ago, Philthy Jawn said:

DK would have been perfect for Wentz because of his athleticism and ability to improvise on plays.  And with both of those attributes, I think we would have witnessed less interceptions and more big-yard plays from Wentz.  

DK had/has problems running underneath routes. The thing he is best at is beating the CB off the LOS on post patterns and high 50/50 balls, both things that Wentz has always struggles with.

DK does well because he is perfect for Wilson - a QB that can run around and create some time for him to get deep.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:04 PM, birdman#12 said:

Unbelievable..........31 teams passed in Metcalf twice.  Seattle took LJ Collier in the first round....a guy who ended his rookie season with 3 f------ tackles.

But yeah, let's single out roseman......

And Jefferson?  Only idiots compare rookies after 10 games. 

Roseman isn't going anywhere and he's going to retain FULL GM powers after the season........Regardless of what the fans and media think....

It doesn’t matter what 31 other teams did. Some of those teams weren’t in the market for a WR. We drafted a bust WR right in front of Metcalf which makes it 10 times worse. 

On 11/18/2020 at 8:17 PM, pallidrone said:

I love how fans actually think they can plug any player onto any team and they will automatically produce at the same level as they currently do. I really believe that Madden has ruined objective football talk.

It is kind of hard for a WR to produce when the QB is playing as poorly as Wentz. JJ would be terrible here because of Wentz and the scheme.

I am not a huge fan of Howie, but you guys are ridiculous when it comes to him and always have been. He will be here for at least one more year. Depending on what actually happens with the cap situation next year and what this team looks at the end of 2021 will seal his fate. Will he be able to work the cap magic that he has been able to do in the past and make this team into a winner again or will this team be even worse next year?

Just because Howie will be here for one more year.....does not mean that he should. His legacy is mediocrity.

16 hours ago, pallidrone said:

Point is that you guys are never,ever objective and are just reactionary. You never look at the big picture and only focus on single things. You never do a comparison to the rest of the league because it would take took much work to actually do and it is easier to be ignorant and complain.

Howie is what he is - an slightly above?!? average GM. He is not the best in the league but he is better then a lot of GMs. However since day one talk radio has pushed this idiotic narrative that Howie doesnt know what he is doing because he didnt play football and there are a group of fans that have embraced that ever since. It is a lazy narrative that is based in a completely myopic and old viewpoint.

I am sorry,.... but you have lost me when you said that Howie is a slightly above average GM. What has he done exactly??? His drafts suck, he kicked the cap can down the road as far as he could and now the bill is due, I firmly believe that  Howie is a below average GM.

11 hours ago, nipples said:

Please, the excuses are getting out of control. He’s been consistently sailing the ball over receiver’s heads all year, and that isn’t a new problem. He’s always had spotty accuracy and tends to sail passes high. It’s a miracle it hasn’t resulted in more interceptions until this year. 

And I can’t blame the line or being skittish for this particular issue. He’s had the problem in previous seasons and even during camp this year the media guys who were there kept mentioning how he’s missing a lot of passes high. 

I hate Wentz's mechanics and work habits too..., but Wentz is not going anywhere! 

Wentz is costing the Eagles $18.656 million against the cap for 2020. His dead money was set at $77.877 million. His cap number jumps up to $34.673 million in 2021. It comes down to $31.274 million in 2022, and hits a peak of $36.273 million in 2023. In 2024, the final year of the contract, the cap hit of $32 million will match his average annual salary. 

Might as well support him instead of criticizing him.  ;) It takes the same amount of time.

Howie did everything right in 2017 and has done almost everything wrong in 2018, 2019 and 2020. How many years does a SB win buy him?

15 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Howie did everything right in 2017 and has done almost everything wrong in 2018, 2019 and 2020. How many years does a SB win buy him?

Man it almost sounds like your talking about Doug as well. 

On 11/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, Philthy Jawn said:

I think Lurie is way too close to Howie, who is something of a second son to him.  So, what I think happens is that Roseman is shifted into a Banner-type role, which is really what he is best suited for, imho.

That would be the most positive outcome IMO. Let Howie stick to Madden when it comes to personnel.

2 hours ago, Perforator said:

What did Howie do wrong in 2018? I'm just wondering since it's on the list. 

20 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

What did Howie do wrong in 2018? I'm just wondering since it's on the list. 

I think Howie did fine in 16,17,18 and 19 is tough cause he only really had 4 picks. Sanders was a hit, Dillard we have no clue and JJ was a miss so far. The only draft I hated was 2020. I think every pick was a reach in the spot we picked to solely go after speed. Now this was Howie's first draft by himself and its way to early to rate it yet as well. Now we could go after Howe for the coaching issues. That right now I think is the bigger issue on this team and that is his department as well. I will also say I was a bit disappointed we kept Nelson one year too long and traded a 3rd for Tate only to let him walk. Would have rather signed Tate and traded or cut Neson. 

I would say the only other downfall I see is Howie does keep guys too long and give extensions that should not happen. Alshon is the big one. I think he kept Peters and Sproles a bit too long though. Yet he did know when to cut loose of Jenkins and Celek. 

12 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think Howie did fine in 16,17,18 and 19 is tough cause he only really had 4 picks.

Who gave away those picks though? Howie. 

And if he did fine in those 3/4 drafts why is this roster so depleted of talent bud? Especially young talent. 

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Who gave away those picks though? Howie. 

And if he did fine in those 3/4 drafts why is this roster so depleted of talent bud? Especially young talent. 

Well my view is poor coaching. I dont think our coaches are putting these players in the right situations. I think the game prep and coaching during the week is very limited and soft. As for 2019 if we kept Tate which I pointed out was one of his downfalls, this team would have had a better WR core just with him alone. Tate was a perfect fit for Dougs scheme. Great short and mid route runner with very good hands and excellent with getting yards after the catch. We actually might have screen work. Would you rather have that late 3rd rounder or the quality player that Tate is? No brainier. He just made the wrong choice in letting him walk. 

7 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

I am sorry,.... but you have lost me when you said that Howie is a slightly above average GM. What has he done exactly??? His drafts suck, he kicked the cap can down the road as far as he could and now the bill is due, I firmly believe that  Howie is a below average GM.

Since he became GM again in 2016 his team has been to the playoffs 3 times and won a Super Bowl. Below average GMs do not do that.

8 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Since he became GM again in 2016 his team has been to the playoffs 3 times and won a Super Bowl. Below average GMs do not do that.

2 things. tech hes not the GM, Eagles do not have a GM, lol. I know just messing around. But the second thing is Howie has not done a offense season by himself in the acting role until this year 2020. Ill be honest its way to early to tell but this draft did not feel good after it was over. But until a few years pass we wont really know how Howie did in his first draft without another top guy tapping on his shoulder, whispering in his ear. 

29 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well my view is poor coaching. I dont think our coaches are putting these players in the right situations. I think the game prep and coaching during the week is very limited and soft. As for 2019 if we kept Tate which I pointed out was one of his downfalls, this team would have had a better WR core just with him alone. Tate was a perfect fit for Dougs scheme. Great short and mid route runner with very good hands and excellent with getting yards after the catch. We actually might have screen work. Would you rather have that late 3rd rounder or the quality player that Tate is? No brainier. He just made the wrong choice in letting him walk. 

But Howie is involved in that decision as to whether they keep him or not? And you say he was a perfect fit for this scheme but he wasn't exactly brilliant when he was here. He was OK but he wasn't great. The trade for Tate wasn't a great move all around because they didn't seem to know how to use him here. So to me that's on Howie and the coaches. 

Just now, DeathByEagle said:

2 things. tech hes not the GM, Eagles do not have a GM, lol. I know just messing around. But the second thing is Howie has not done a offense season by himself in the acting role until this year 2020. Ill be honest its way to early to tell but this draft did not feel good after it was over. But until a few years pass we wont really know how Howie did in his first draft without another top guy tapping on his shoulder, whispering in his ear. 

That is a fair assessment. My thing with Howie is not the draft picks or the FA signings. My issue is the contracts. He was the best at maintaining the cap. I dont know what he is doing with that and just looking at the numbers looks downright scary.

If he can not fix the cap situation next year without completely blowing up the team and putting them into a position where they have to start all over and the Eagles are not competitive for years, then he needs to be shown the door.

17 hours ago, FlankingRight said:

We’re way worse at drafting WR’s. They got Calvin and Golladay. Two dudes with the "Tron” somewhere in their nicknames 

It took them how many years of drafting wrs to finally hit on megatron? That's the Eagles 

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

That is true...🤔

1 hour ago, Saltpeter said:

He's played 4 games you maniacs

I get this and all but the fact is Jefferson had already had back to back 100 yard games by his 4th game and had 2 games over 150 yards by his 6th, and this isn't what iffing a guy who was passed up for several rounds by everyone who happened to be a success, this is the what iffing the guy who was available when the Eagles picked and was pretty much the consensus mock pick for the Eagles and a logical choice at the position.

I guess the question is why do we always end up with the guys that people say 'you can't properly assess drafts for 3 years' about rather than 'holy crap this guys incredible' straight out of the box.

11 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

It doesn’t matter what 31 other teams did. Some of those teams weren’t in the market for a WR. We drafted a bust WR right in front of Metcalf which makes it 10 times worse. 

8 Receivers went ahead of Metcalf.  And the reason is that Metcalf missed almost half his college games due to injury and was dealing with a neck injury at the time of the draft.  There are a few other "reasons" that Metcalf fell, some were an overemphasis on certain combine drills, some were some ill perceived opinions about his game.  

Obviously, this happens frequently.  But the eagles weren't about to take a player who seemed to be hurt half the time.  Metcalf was a victim of analytics and poor opinions.  I'm not debating Metcalf vs JJAW.....I would have taken a non-WR with that pick.  

So yeah, what other teams do may have an impact on what some teams do.  Also, we don't know what info the eagles college scouting report on Metcalf told Roseman.  Everybody in the NFL was wrong about him, even seattle once.  So why did seattle pass on this guy in the first round? How could they do that?  They needed WRs but took a DE who had 3 tackles in his rookie year.

Archived