Reports: Jalen Hurts getting 1st team reps, Lurie pushing to see Hurts

D-Shiznit

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't know what changes Lurie plans to make at the conclusion of this God awful season, but if he is considering retaining Doug, he absolutely needs to give him another directive ... either hire an experienced OC to take over the responsibilities of leading the offense, game-planning, play design, or lose your job as HC.  I think I'd be fine with Doug staying on as HC but I want Doug the OC fired.  

I’m not sure I want Doug the head coach anymore. His decision making has sucked as well. Like playing for a tie, or how about going for it on 4th down instead of taking the field goal while down two scores in the fourth? Or, gonna harp on it a little more, being too stubborn to just sit Wentz down and go in a different direction even for a game. 

I wouldn’t even be mad about just letting Doug go now, letting Duce take over as the interim, then go from there. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't know what changes Lurie plans to make at the conclusion of this God awful season, but if he is considering retaining Doug, he absolutely needs to give him another directive ... either hire am experienced OC to take over the responsibilities of leading the offense, game-planning, play design, or lose your job as HC.  I think I'd be fine with Doug staying on as HC but I want Doug the OC fired.  

Yep agreed. I think this will happen and needs to happen.

Roseman and Doug will both stay. Schwartz will leave, but it will be his choice and not the Eagles.

13 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’m not sure I want Doug the head coach anymore. His decision making has sucked as well. Like playing for a tie, or how about going for it on 4th down instead of taking the field goal while down two scores in the fourth? Or, gonna harp on it a little more, being too stubborn to just sit Wentz down and go in a different direction even for a game. 

I wouldn’t even be mad about just letting Doug go now, letting Duce take over as the interim, then go from there. 

With Duce running the offense, they might have more than 11 runs in a close game.

1 minute ago, Mortimer said:

With Duce running the offense, they might have more than 11 runs in a close game.

Yeah I’d have this believe Duce would lean heavily on Sanders. 

38 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I hear you about Hurts. Regardless of what you think of him, the general consensus was that he was a project who wouldn't be ready this year.

With that being said, we need to sit Wentz for a game, it's that simple. If Hurts is great and knocks off the Packers - well we have to roll with him.

But chances are he struggles but gets some valuable experience. It holds Wentz accountable for his bad play and hopefully helps him clear his head a little. We can't just keep rolling him out there at the moment though.

Look right now that pick for Hurts not only looks a bad pick but also a complete waste. 

You spend a second round pick on a back up QB and then you don't use him when your starter absolutely stinks? And has sucked for 11 weeks now. What on earth is this!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Look right now that pick for Hurts not only looks a bad pick but also a complete waste. 

You spend a second round pick on a back up QB and then you don't use him when your starter absolutely stinks? And has sucked for 11 weeks now. What on earth is this!

I think it's too early to say on Hurts. Pretty much everyone said he was a project and needed time. Plus I think rightly or wrongly Doug is concerned about a QB controversy.

48 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I think it's too early to say on Hurts. Pretty much everyone said he was a project and needed time. Plus I think rightly or wrongly Doug is concerned about a QB controversy.

Well... This is a team that's going to have a lot of time to rebuild now so may as well see what he's got. 

Putting Hurts in is a monumental mistake. They'll ruin him inside of 4 games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Putting Hurts in is a monumental mistake. They'll ruin him inside of 4 games.

Nah.  Most rookie QB's inherit struggling offenses or else they likely wouldn't be "in".  McNabb, Foles, and even Wentz inherited offenses that were far from the league's best when they started playing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Nah.  Most rookie QB's inherit struggling offenses or else they likely wouldn't be "in".  McNabb, Foles, and even Wentz inherited offenses that were far from the league's best when they started playing. 

He struggled to finish his college career. He got benched for being a choker, had to transfer to a lesser program. He's not ready for every down play. I think he's worse than Wentz was coming out of college and will end up worse than Wentz is now. He was a wasted pick IMO. That's just me though.

Whatever. Put him in and see what happens. This season is shot in azzz anyway.

• Like 1

If the coaching were good, and the O line were good, and the WRs were good but the only problem were Wentz: bench him and see what Hurts can do.

But the entire offense sucks, and the coaching is bad.  there is no accountability.  No common sense.  If your QB is struggling and you have a makeshift O line, you run the ball and play to your QB's strengths by rolling him out.  Doug doesn't do that.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Doug just killed this rumor

Killed what rumour? That Hurts was getting more reps with the first team in the build up to the Seattle game?

47 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Killed what rumour? That Hurts was getting more reps with the first team in the build up to the Seattle game?

That Lurie allegedly told him to pull Wentz for Hurts if Wentz struggled. 

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

If the coaching were good, and the O line were good, and the WRs were good but the only problem were Wentz: bench him and see what Hurts can do.

But the entire offense sucks, and the coaching is bad.  there is no accountability.  No common sense.  If your QB is struggling and you have a makeshift O line, you run the ball and play to your QB's strengths by rolling him out.  Doug doesn't do that.  

so isn't there upside in putting in your 2nd rd pick rookie who can escape collapsing pockets and buy those bad WRs more time to get open? At the very least you get some film on Hurts and if he sparks this offense at all you can maybe trade him this offseason and correct the mistake that was drafting him, if he isn't here to actually be the successor to a totally **** on the downside Wentz 

Doug contradicted himself in his PC today.  He said that QBs need rhythm, but also that the offense needs a spark.  He said that when Hurts has been in, he's been effective and that they would do anything and everything to bring a spark.  So which is it?  Use Hurts to get a spark?  Or limit him to keep Carson in rhythm even if the offense is struggling?

If you really want to give a spark, be creative, and say that you tried everything:  put Hurts in for an entire series at QB with Wentz on the bench.  The defense won't be prepared for it an entire series. 

Just now, NOTW said:

Doug contradicted himself in his PC today.  He said that QBs need rhythm, but also that the offense needs a spark.  He said that when Hurts has been in, he's been effective and that they would do anything and everything to bring a spark.  So which is it?  Use Hurts to get a spark?  Or limit him to keep Carson in rhythm even if the offense is struggling?

If you really want to give a spark, be creative, and say that you tried everything:  put Hurts in for an entire series at QB with Wentz on the bench.  The defense won't be prepared for it an entire series. 

this is all why I'm not willing to believe that Hurts cant play, just bc Doug says or thinks he can't. Doug clearly doesn't know wtf he's doing and is coaching like a lame duck right now. 

Just now, JBENT87 said:

so isn't there upside in putting in your 2nd rd pick rookie who can escape collapsing pockets and buy those bad WRs more time to get open? At the very least you get some film on Hurts and if he sparks this offense at all you can maybe trade him this offseason and correct the mistake that was drafting him, if he isn't here to actually be the successor to a totally **** on the downside Wentz 

yes you're right.  the whole situation is dysfunctional.  Draft weekend Doug said he was on board with this pick (he repeated that today when asked) and that they would find ways to use him.  He's barely using him even though the offense is struggling.

The team doesn't know what it wants or have a plan.  They keep making knee jerk reactions instead of having a plan.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NOTW said:

yes you're right.  the whole situation is dysfunctional.  Draft weekend Doug said he was on board with this pick (he repeated that today when asked) and that they would find ways to use him.  He's barely using him even though the offense is struggling.

The team doesn't know what it wants or have a plan.  They keep making knee jerk reactions instead of having a plan.

Maybe their plan is knee jerk reactions fool!

31 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That Lurie allegedly told him to pull Wentz for Hurts if Wentz struggled. 

I mean if it was true then Doug surely would have come under more fire for not doing it?

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean if it was true then Doug surely would have come under more fire for not doing it?

Right. That’s why @Mike030270 was saying Doug killed that rumor. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That Lurie pushed for Hurts to play

Hurts did not do much last night, despite the noise before the game of getting more reps.  They still have no idea how to use him, which leads to the question why he was drafted?  Whose idea it was to draft him?

Though not being said, I think Wentz is feeling the pressure of Hurts' presence.  By most accounts, the team won't give up on Wentz anytime soon.  That would limit the game experience for Hurts and his trade value would get any better.  So why is he here? 

Hurts should now start mostly because it should (keyword should) force Dougie P to balance the offense.