GDT: Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys, 12-27-20 @ 4:25 PM EST

EagleJoe8

2 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

because he's got that ego where he would choose his friends over football, he wouldnt care if it costs him to sell the team. that's what i mean. he wouldnt get rid of howie no matter how bad he drafts or wouldnt hold andy reid accountable when the team had bad records after 2005. sure we won one super bowl but the fact is he's at the hip with his buddies, where he would just keep them no matter what. 

This makes absolutely no sense, like everything else you post.

16 minutes ago, NOTW said:

1*K2MqaSmzRDhtk4bsQ0nm9w.jpeg

I believe that guy got some brain damage in one of his tough fights 

19 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

because he's got that ego where he would choose his friends over football, he wouldnt care if it costs him to sell the team. that's what i mean. he wouldnt get rid of howie no matter how bad he drafts or wouldnt hold andy reid accountable when the team had bad records after 2005. sure we won one super bowl but the fact is he's at the hip with his buddies, where he would just keep them no matter what. 

Lurie has fired coaches in the past for losing seasons, he's invested into a new stadium and facilities and has paid big contracts to star players and to extend coaches.  He's invested in winning, this is silly.

16 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Yeah I meant unanimously by everyone on the broadcast including the former Vice President of NFL officials.  Just because we're a bad team and were the away team doesn't make it okay to cheat us. 

Nobody was "cheated”.  It appeared to be a bad call to me as well but it was reviewed by the league office in New York - they made the call. 

But fundamentally it was irrelevant.  

12 hours ago, NOTW said:

No. The context was reporters grilling him about his job security, why things went bad this season and why regression for 3 years. 

Later, he was asked if he wanted more say in selecting players. He said he likes the collaboration with Howie and his team, but he doesn't want to be on that side of things. He likes coaching and teaching. 

He didn't rip Howie. 

He blamed injuries, said they have good young talent to work with (people Howie drafted), blamed COVID lack of offseason and self-inflicted wounds like penalties. 

I watched the whole PC, I didn't hear anything that would make them mad. He was basically defending his record in 3/5 seasons making playoffs and championship.

I understand your take on it, but you have to read in between the lines. Plus when a coach ever starts blaming injuries- he is toast, and Doug did that as well. You said he didn't want more control concerning personal. He said what you mentioned here, but 2 seconds later said he DID want to be heard and listened to, he did want some control. Watch his presser again. He said HE has the solutions, which indirectly points the blame at other people, including Howie and Lurie. I guarantee you that presser pissed Lurie and Howie off. I respect where you are coming from. If you are correct, Doug won't get fired. If I am correct, Doug will be fired sometime soon.

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Lots of sloppy play in this game. Frankly the Eagles didn’t deserve to win. They looked woefully unprepared and that’s on Doug. His team wasn’t ready to play. 

That is absolutely fair yes. After a really good bright spot they got sloppy and they didn't adjust. Dallas has a bad D. They aren't good against the run, or to be honest pass, yet Sanders only got 15 carries? I do think Doug needs to either go or hand over offensive duties to an actual OC. Not just play calling but scheme etc too.

9 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

I understand your take on it, but you have to read in between the lines. Plus when a coach ever starts blaming injuries- he is toast, and Doug did that as well. You said he didn't want more control concerning personal. He said what you mentioned here, but 2 seconds later said he DID want to be heard and listened to, he did want some control. Watch his presser again. He said HE has the solutions, which indirectly points the blame at other people, including Howie and Lurie. I guarantee you that presser pissed Lurie and Howie off. I respect where you are coming from. If you are correct, Doug won't get fired. If I am correct, Doug will be fired sometime soon.

He has blamed injuries for 3 years and every week this season.  That's not new.  You're looking for a big controversy that isn't there.

He didn't say he wants "control."  He said:

"I want to be part of the solution, I want to be part of the evaluation process, I wanna be a voice that's heard and have that collaborative communication with Howie and his staff. I don't necessarily wanna cross that line, it takes away from being the head football coach."  Then talked more about about wanting to coach.  And he already has that and even in this last draft he talked about his involvement in evaluating the players, particularly yes he says he was on board with picking Hurts.

The comments where he said he can fix things, that was the first question in the press conference (you're combining 2 different lines of questioning out of context to make a controversy that isn't there).  He was asked about his job security and if he's confident he will return next year.  He says he knows "exactly how to get things fixed."  He cited making the playoffs and winning a championship.  It was coaching related.  He didn't claim he could fix the drafting or personnel decisions.  

Another question later, he talked about what it takes to win, drawing on his experience as both player and coach.  He talked about the players they have there, veterans that will return from injury.

Video starts right at the final question if he wants more say in personnel.  

16 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Yes, and Lurie. Which means... if you talk shi* about your boss in public, you're fired. I think he wants to be, because NOBODY could be that stupid. Or could they? Doug will be fired Sunday night after the game, with it being reported Monday morning, or will be fired Monday morning and it will be reported soon after. Lurie and Howie have to be red faced over the comments. Doug shoved it right in their faces, and I love it. Good luck, Doug, with the New York Jets job.

has to make you wonder....maybe there have been players in the past that Doug wanted (Justin Jefferson for example?) but Howie's ego intervened..because...you know..he is the smartest guy in the room after all....
what stood out to me was was Doug stating that he would like to be included in the evaluation process...never before has he made any such comment...that was telling...for sure...

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That is absolutely fair yes. After a really good bright spot they got sloppy and they didn't adjust. Dallas has a bad D. They aren't good against the run, or to be honest pass, yet Sanders only got 15 carries? I do think Doug needs to either go or hand over offensive duties to an actual OC. Not just play calling but scheme etc too.

I think Doug would be more open to that if he were given more power in the organization. Can’t hire his DC, or keep his coaches. What does he do other than play calling. Anyways I still think nothing really changes with a new coach or play caller as long as you’re getting crap talent from Roseman. Even in run plays Seumalo was getting pushed back against the Cowboys and forcing Sanders to make wider breaks and the Cowboys were running him down. The line was bad and some of that was due to "starters” like Seumalo. 

4 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Again I don't agree that purposeful "home cooking" and a mistake are the same thing.  I do agree with control what you can.  I doubt they will be fired or fined and I'm sure we'll see them again next season.  I'm not saying we were the better team but at that point in the game if we rightfully keep the ball we still had a chance to win at that point. 

Get better players and coaches need to do a better job teaching fundamentals. This season has been a great example of how lacking everyone is on fundamentals. Yes they lack talent too, but guys like Jackson and Graham are veterans who should be jumping offsides as much as they do. So many missed tackles and presnap penalties. 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

He has blamed injuries for 3 years and every week this season.  That's not new.  You're looking for a big controversy that isn't there.

"I want to be part of the solution, I want to be part of the evaluation process, I wanna be a voice that's heard and have that collaborative communication with Howie and his staff. I don't necessarily wanna cross that line, it takes away from being the head football coach."  Then talked more about about wanting to coach.  And he already has that and even in this last draft he talked about his involvement in evaluating the players, particularly yes he says he was on board with picking Hurts.

The comments where he said he can fix things, that was the first question in the press conference (you're combining 2 different lines of questioning out of context to make a controversy that isn't there).  He was asked about his job security and if he's confident he will return next year.  He says he knows "exactly how to get things fixed."  He cited making the playoffs and winning a championship.  It was coaching related.  He didn't claim he could fix the drafting or personnel decisions.  

Another question later, he talked about what it takes to win, drawing on his experience as both player and coach.  He talked about the players they have there, veterans that will return from injury.

Haven’t watched the video yet, but that comment you highlighted is interesting. I don’t think he’s trying to take power, but it does sound like he’s demanding more input and that seems like a direct shot at Howie Roseman. It also feels like he’s referencing his coaching staff that was gutted by the owner and Roseman. If nothing else Doug’s firing off some shots and making demands after a 4 or 5 win season. I think his job is in trouble. 

I think he gets one more season...Lurie has almost always had a policy of allowing one bad season before making a move; i.e a HC change...

but the task is going to be very difficult...and he can't be wishy-washy...lots of players will get cut/traded/not resigned because of the cap issue...so any coach, if not Doug...will have a difficult task in fielding a competitive team...this is not even counting the Hurts/Wentz issue...

they are going to be bargain hunting more so than usual this offseason...and I expect a LOT of UDFAs to make next years team simply because of economics...

as far as his comments...it does sound like Doug is being asked to make Lemonade from lemons and Howie is giving him...

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Haven’t watched the video yet, but that comment you highlighted is interesting. I don’t think he’s trying to take power, but it does sound like he’s demanding more input and that seems like a direct shot at Howie Roseman. It also feels like he’s referencing his coaching staff that was gutted by the owner and Roseman. If nothing else Doug’s firing off some shots and making demands after a 4 or 5 win season. I think his job is in trouble. 

He's already been involved, for example he has said he was part of evaluating Hurts and was on board.   

Remember the context was asking if he wants more involvement in personnel.  I took his comments as what he wants to do as far as being involved in that side, but not take over or have more input than he has...and said what he really wants to do is coach.  

47 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think Doug would be more open to that if he were given more power in the organization. Can’t hire his DC, or keep his coaches. What does he do other than play calling. Anyways I still think nothing really changes with a new coach or play caller as long as you’re getting crap talent from Roseman. Even in run plays Seumalo was getting pushed back against the Cowboys and forcing Sanders to make wider breaks and the Cowboys were running him down. The line was bad and some of that was due to "starters” like Seumalo. 

Yeah agreed. I mean as it is he doesn't appear to have a ton of power so perhaps if they gave him more but the trade off was that he needs to step back from the offense he may go for that?

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Ok, so you want to make an issue out of what I said. Ok, fine. We'll go at it then. I'll keep it simple for you: 

1. If I am right and  Lurie and Howie are pissed, Doug gets fired.
2. If you are right, he gets another year.

Nothing hard about it.

Even other posters here saw it. Here is one of them:

"what stood out to me was was Doug stating that he would like to be included in the evaluation process...never before has he made any such comment...that was telling...for sure..."

And Philadelphia Inquirer sports writer Jeff McLane:
https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-doug-pederson-jeffrey-lurie-howie-roseman-future-onus-20201228.html

I guess you see what you want to see, because what I said was and is there in his presser. It ain't just me, bud. That's ok, I don't really care if you saw it or agree. I KNOW I and others saw and heard it, so why you came at me is just unfounded. Did you think I wouldn't fight back and defend my point of view?

10 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Ok, so you want to make an issue out of what I said. Ok, fine. We'll go at it then. I'll keep it simple for you: 

1. If I am right and  Lurie and Howie are pissed, Doug gets fired.
2. If you are right, he gets another year.

Nothing hard about it.

Even other posters here saw it. Hers one:

"what stood out to me was was Doug stating that he would like to be included in the evaluation process...never before has he made any such comment...that was telling...for sure..."

I guess you see what you want to see, because what I said was and is there in his presser. That's ok, I don't really care if you saw it or agree. I KNOW I and others saw and heard it. 

That person was responding to you, with your interpretation of it.  You started this with the idea that Doug thinks he is the only one with the answers.  You said he wants "control."  I showed the video and posted direct quote showing that's not what he said.  I already explained that Doug is ALREADY part of the evaluation process, that's known.

Yes we both watched the same video and have different conclusions.  Mine includes context of the questions he was asked as well as taking into account past answers, established collaboration, the fact that Doug has already been on record stating he is part of the draft evaluation process.    

Even if Doug gets fired, it doesn't mean the reason you're stating is why.  You said because he blamed injuries, he's done that in previous years.  You said he wants "control" which isn't what he said.

46 minutes ago, NOTW said:

He's already been involved, for example he has said he was part of evaluating Hurts and was on board.   

Remember the context was asking if he wants more involvement in personnel.  I took his comments as what he wants to do as far as being involved in that side, but not take over or have more input than he has...and said what he really wants to do is coach.  

Maybe that more involvement is having the power to pick his own coaches? In any case I feel like he’s kind of putting the onus of this season on other people than himself. He’s culpable for this bad season too. I mean I blame Howie mostly, but his team has lacked basic fundamentals all season. 

40 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah agreed. I mean as it is he doesn't appear to have a ton of power so perhaps if they gave him more but the trade off was that he needs to step back from the offense he may go for that?

He has a better chance of attracting a good OC if he let them call plays. Going to be an interesting off season. I’d rather see Lurie dump Howie and let the new GM decide what to do with Wentz and Doug. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

He has a better chance of attracting a good OC if he let them call plays. Going to be an interesting off season. I’d rather see Lurie dump Howie and let the new GM decide what to do with Wentz and Doug. 

Is anyone in the Buffalo front office looking for a GM job ??  Joe Schoen ?? Malik Boyd ?? Then they could bring Brian Daboll with them to be the head coach.

Doug in April:

"Listen, I was hired to be the head football coach, not the general manager," Pederson said. "I was hired to teach football. Howie was hired to do the job that he does."

"There has to be great communication and great dialog between those departments - coaching and scouting," said Pederson. "That’s the one thing, when I was (hired) in 2016, (personnel is) not my expertise. I can sit here and watch tape and write a report, and say this guy can do this, this, and this.

"And until we get him in the building and coach him up, you just don’t know. You lean so much on our scouting department."

"With Howie, that’s probably the biggest thing, communication. It’s been transparent. It’s been open," said Pederson. "... We don’t have to agree on every player, right? But we can have constructive conversations and talk openly about certain guys and how well they can fit our system."

"For me, that’s just not the avenue that I want to go down as a coach," he said. "I’m a part of it. And I want my coaching staff to be a part of it. But I want to coach. I want Howie to bring the players in, and give us the talent that we can go and develop, and win games.”

"If you’re saying I’m a ‘yes man’, that’s a no,” said the coach. "... as I mentioned before, we can have these conversations (on players) and we can disagree about certain players. Whether I agree with it or not, I still have to coach the team."

"Bottom line is we have to walk out of that room united — whatever the arguments are — and agree because once that person becomes a Philadelphia Eagle then it’s my job to coach them,” said Pederson.

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Maybe that more involvement is having the power to pick his own coaches? In any case I feel like he’s kind of putting the onus of this season on other people than himself. He’s culpable for this bad season too. I mean I blame Howie mostly, but his team has lacked basic fundamentals all season. 

The question he was asked was "Speaking of draft picks, free agents and acquiring talent."    

You need to watch/listen to the video and listen to the tone and how he says it.  Literally the first thing he says is how he wants to coach.  When he switches to say he wants to be involved in evaluation, he says it with emphasis on "I want to be a part of" that side of things, as if to say "of course I want to be a part of" the evaluation but not the main job, he wants to stick to coaching.  He then says he likes being on the coaching side and that's his passion.  Knowing Doug, his past answers, past collaboration and that he already is involved it doesn't sound to me like he's attacking Howie and Lurie and making some big demand.  He made a lot of emphasis on focusing on coaching and teaching the players.

38 minutes ago, NOTW said:

That person was responding to you, with your interpretation of it.  You started this with the idea that Doug thinks he is the only one with the answers.  You said he wants "control."  I showed the video and posted direct quote showing that's not what he said.  I already explained that Doug is ALREADY part of the evaluation process, that's known.

Yes we both watched the same video and have different conclusions.  Mine includes context of the questions he was asked as well as taking into account past answers, established collaboration, the fact that Doug has already been on record stating he is part of the draft evaluation process.    

Even if Doug gets fired, it doesn't mean the reason you're stating is why.  You said because he blamed injuries, he's done that in previous years.  You said he wants "control" which isn't what he said.

Okeee dokeeee.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

The question he was asked was "Speaking of draft picks, free agents and acquiring talent."    

You need to watch/listen to the video and listen to the tone and how he says it.  Literally the first thing he says is how he wants to coach.  When he switches to say he wants to be involved in evaluation, he says it with emphasis on "I want to be a part of" that side of things, as if to say "of course I want to be a part of" the evaluation but not the main job, he wants to stick to coaching.  He then says he likes being on the coaching side and that's his passion.  Knowing Doug, his past answers, past collaboration and that he already is involved it doesn't sound to me like he's attacking Howie and Lurie and making some big demand.  He made a lot of emphasis on focusing on coaching and teaching the players.

I’ll listen to it, but I doesn’t sound like he’s happy with the current situation no matter how you slice it. For the record no one is stopping him from teaching the players now, and I’m having a hard time finding a lot of players he’s developed here. 

That was pathetic. Besides a couple of bang bang plays, the Eagles offense had no inspiration, despite all the talent. So embarrassing, and just a win and in scenario.

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Agreed and that's why it may be a decent shout to have a more defensive minded HC.

Archived