GDT: Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys, 12-27-20 @ 4:25 PM EST

EagleJoe8

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed and that's why it may be a decent shout to have a more defensive minded HC.

I’d love me some Saleh!

49 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I’d love me some Saleh!

That would be a very good move. I know it's unlikely as I believe Lurie wants an offensive HC to lead the way? (I think I heard that on a podcast so may not be true.)

But I think this city would leave a defensive minded HC who can create a really disruptive defense that hits teams hard in the mouth. 

36 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That would be a very good move. I know it's unlikely as I believe Lurie wants an offensive HC to lead the way? (I think I heard that on a podcast so may not be true.)

But I think this city would leave a defensive minded HC who can create a really disruptive defense that hits teams hard in the mouth. 

Remember before the passing of the great Jim Johnson, that has been our identity for a long, long time.

For some reason, we shied away from it and have had average defenses at best since. The only thing that still remained is a stout D-line. After they let Dawkins, Sheppard, Samuel and Brown walk, we didn’t have a good defensive backfield for years. We’ve used 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks to ease the pain to no avail and then Jenkins and McCleod came along and slowely but surely we became relevant again. 

We’re now in a situation that the only good DB’s on the roster are Slay and McCleod with Mills exceeding expectations being a 7th rounder and Maddox playing out of position.

We need a true outside corner, a good off ball LB and a quality deep safety to get back to the days of old.

Problem is; they didn’t balance things out or if you will didn’t hit on the majority and because of it a handful of studs on our D-line are aging.

What do you want to do first this off season?! Add quality pieces to our defense starting with an outside corner, followed by a quality LB and Safety. Go all in to repair the offense by grabbing Chase or Smith with your first rounder and somewhere along the line select some good offensive linemen? Or do you balance things out?! What position would you address first?! Receiver? Corner? Edge with BG getting older? Tough call!

18 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

What do you want to do first this off season?! Add quality pieces to our defense starting with an outside corner, followed by a quality LB and Safety. Go all in to repair the offense by grabbing Chase or Smith with your first rounder and somewhere along the line select some good offensive linemen? Or do you balance things out?! What position would you address first?! Receiver? Corner? Edge with BG getting older? Tough call!

It is very very tricky to be honest. Both sides need major work. 

I guess the DL mostly remains in place and the DL has been a major positive. But the rest of the roster needs a complete overhaul. 

We need so many positions and of course we can't do it all in one off season. So do we fix one side as much as possible this year and the other side next year? I don't think that's a wise move as I think we need to go BPA for the most part. 

Bottom line this team is a few years away from being contenders. 

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It is very very tricky to be honest. Both sides need major work. 

I guess the DL mostly remains in place and the DL has been a major positive. But the rest of the roster needs a complete overhaul. 

We need so many positions and of course we can't do it all in one off season. So do we fix one side as much as possible this year and the other side next year? I don't think that's a wise move as I think we need to go BPA for the most part. 

Bottom line this team is a few years away from being contenders. 

No matter who’ll be the GM or HC, I’m torn between going corner or receiver in the first.

Which unit is in the worst shape? Are we better off taking Chase or Smith in the first and address the defensive backfield in the 2nd or the other way around by taking Surtain or Farley in the top 10 and grab a another receiver somewhere down the line? Both classes are deep and talented and therefor I believe there’ll definitely be both good DB’s and WR’s available in at the top of the 2nd round.

Chase is my clear cut No.1 but after that I literally don’t care if they go Surtain, Farley or Smith... Any of them would be a huge upgrade IMO.

32 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Which unit is in the worst shape?

I think the answer to that is fairly simple. Despite how bad our WRs have been i do think CB is in worse shape. 

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the answer to that is fairly simple. Despite how bad our WRs have been i do think CB is in worse shape. 

And that’s the dilemma! Although I have a higher grade on Chase than any of the top CB’s, corner is the bigger need IMO.

We saw it on sunday, Jacquet was getting abused opposite Slay.

10 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

And that’s the dilemma! Although I have a higher grade on Chase than any of the top CB’s, corner is the bigger need IMO.

We saw it on sunday, Jacquet was getting abused opposite Slay.

Yeah it's a real issue... But then which position can have the greater impact on this team in the future? Its really hard because this team is in such a hole.

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

What position would you address first?! Receiver? Corner? Edge with BG getting older? Tough call!

Teams have completed almost 69% of their passes vs our defense with 25 TDs and only 6 INTs. What makes this more disturbing is that we rank among the top defenses in sacks and pressures. Typically, sacks and pressures should lead to more incomplete passes and turnovers. That tells you how bad our secondary has been. 

I think you go back to the Fulgham 5-game stretch to see that WR is not as big an issue as people might think. Either we had great production by a "JAG" while our QB was playing poorly or we found a young prospect that can play in this league and play very well. We also are less than a year removed from investing heavily at WR and the 2020 class (our guys)  has plenty of upside. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Philly has traditionally loved great defense.  But we've also had defensive head coaches who punched the other team in the mouth...and didn't win because of lack of offense.  Buddy Ryan's defenses were great, and they never won a playoff game.  Ray Rhodes didn't last long here.  

Lurie believes offense is what it's about, it's a QB/offense driven league.  He wants to put up points.  Even Jim Johnson frustrated us with a bend but don't break defense.  They'd give up big plays and fans would be frustrated, but he would blitz the crap out of the QB and create turnovers and have strong red zone defense.  He had the magic number of 17, to told a team below 17 points.  

I doubt Lurie would hire a defensive type coach but you never know.  They won a Super Bowl with an offensive head coach and a really good OC, and Foles playing his heart out.  The defense gave up 500 yards in the SB and it was the highest scoring game on both sides that the Patriots played in.  Lurie won't see the need for a great smash mouth defense as long as the offense is putting up points.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Philly has traditionally loved great defense.  But we've also had defensive head coaches who punched the other team in the mouth...and didn't win because of lack of offense.  Buddy Ryan's defenses were great, and they never won a playoff game.  Ray Rhodes didn't last long here.  

Lurie believes offense is what it's about, it's a QB/offense driven league.  He wants to put up points.  Even Jim Johnson frustrated us with a bend but don't break defense.  They'd give up big plays and fans would be frustrated, but he would blitz the crap out of the QB and create turnovers and have strong red zone defense.  He had the magic number of 17, to told a team below 17 points.  

I doubt Lurie would hire a defensive type coach but you never know.  They won a Super Bowl with an offensive head coach and a really good OC, and Foles playing his heart out.  The defense gave up 500 yards in the SB and it was the highest scoring game on both sides that the Patriots played in.  Lurie won't see the need for a great smash mouth defense as long as the offense is putting up points.

We don't smash anyone in the mouth, force turnovers, or do anything that would get on a Sportscenter highlight on defense.

Looking back at this season, It is pretty sad that the #2 defensive play would be the Alex Singleton pick 6 of Nick Mullens.

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Well, we were on the verge of signing Gus Bradley, so I think he'd do it if it were the right guy. 

I at one point wanted a defensive minded HC, who brought in a great OC. I still don't think it's a bad set up, but my one concern is an OC can still be hired away as a HC hurting a QB's development by breaking the continuity. Having an offensive minded coach can at least help provide some stability in the event QB coaches and OCs keep getting promotions elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

We don't smash anyone in the mouth, force turnovers, or do anything that would get on a Sportscenter highlight on defense.

Looking back at this season, It is pretty sad that the #2 defensive play would be the Alex Singleton pick 6 of Nick Mullens.

Well the defense has no talent in the back 7 beyond Slay.  Jenkins was a very good player but had crap around him as well.  We swapped Jenkins for Slay and have scrubs around him.

The front 4 has been a strength.  Where the Eagles lack drafting LBs and WRs, they have maintained a good D line.  Without the D line they'd be the worst team in the league.  You saw the effect of Cox being out for much of the game, Dallas took over.  

Having said that, they have been #2 in sacks this year so that's something.  But they really need to figure out prioritizing defensive drafting.  The last difference maker drafted was Cox in 2012, Reid's last year.  Barnett is another Graham, solid player but not elite.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Well the defense has no talent in the back 7 beyond Slay.  Jenkins was a very good player but had crap around him as well.  We swapped Jenkins for Slay and have scrubs around him.

The front 4 has been a strength.  Where the Eagles lack drafting LBs and WRs, they have maintained a good D line.  Without the D line they'd be the worst team in the league.  You saw the effect of Cox being out for much of the game, Dallas took over.  

Having said that, they have been #2 in sacks this year so that's something.  But they really need to figure out prioritizing defensive drafting.  The last difference maker drafted was Cox in 2012, Reid's last year.  Barnett is another Graham, solid player but not elite.

I just posted in the blog that adding Micah Parsons to Singleton and Edwards makes that a decent group, especially if Davion Taylor develops.  

6 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Well, we were on the verge of signing Gus Bradley, so I think he'd do it if it were the right guy. 

I at one point wanted a defensive minded HC, who brought in a great OC. I still don't think it's a bad set up, but my one concern is an OC can still be hired away as a HC hurting a QB's development by breaking the continuity. Having an offensive minded coach can at least help provide some stability in the event QB coaches and OCs keep getting promotions elsewhere.

This was Lurie and Howie's approach.  Lurie said it was all about the QB. They traded up to #2.  They hired 3 offensive coaches who were former QBs as players.  They said they wanted to be a QB university...now they're a factory.

Who could forget the Gus Bus!  :lol:  Adam Gase was another candidate.  I appreciate if they kick the tires on some candidates but it does seem Lurie prefers offense.

IMO it shouldn't matter if the HC isn't calling plays.  Let the OC and DC run their units and call plays.  But your point is correct on an OC leaving...look what happened to us with Reich leaving.

I'd like to see them hire a traditional OC who at this stage in career doesn't have HC aspirations.  Maybe they tried HC and didn't work out and they prefer being an OC.

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

This was Lurie and Howie's approach.  Lurie said it was all about the QB. They traded up to #2.  They hired 3 offensive coaches who were former QBs as players.  They said they wanted to be a QB university...now they're a factory.

Who could forget the Gus Bus!  :lol:  Adam Gase was another candidate.  I appreciate if they kick the tires on some candidates but it does seem Lurie prefers offense.

IMO it shouldn't matter if the HC isn't calling plays.  Let the OC and DC run their units and call plays.  But your point is correct on an OC leaving...look what happened to us with Reich leaving.

I'd like to see them hire a traditional OC who at this stage in career doesn't have HC aspirations.  Maybe they tried HC and didn't work out and they prefer being an OC.

Agreed. No doubt Lurie prefers offensive minded first. I like your OC idea too. In a selfish way, I was glad Jim Johnson was as old as he was. Made it less likely he’d leave. 

12 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Id like to see them hire a traditional OC who at this stage in career doesn't have HC aspirations.  Maybe they tried HC and didn't work out and they prefer being an OC.

7 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I like your OC idea too.

Jim Caldwell ??

21 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Jim Caldwell ??

That could work. An OC with HC experience as well. Is an outside voice too.

24 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Jim Caldwell ??

He was a popular choice last year. 

I have a feeling if anything they'll "restructure" who they have now.  Marty as consultant will be gone and one will be the "OC" while Doug still calls plays.

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

He was a popular choice last year. 

I have a feeling if anything they'll "restructure" who they have now.  Marty as consultant will be gone and one will be the "OC" while Doug still calls plays.

In other words, rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

10 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

In other words, rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Well that's not all!  Schwartz will leave since his contract is up, and the same guys who came up with the idea to have so many offensive coaches will be making decisions on defense.  Maybe we can have coordinators for every position coordinate/funnel through 6 consultants and then Doug can call the defensive plays.  :excited:

@Talonblood @EazyEaglez Les asked Doug to clarify his comment from the other day about wanting more involvement.  Doug confirmed he's involved, he and his staff evaluate players and he doesn't want to cross into that line, wants to focus on coaching.

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

Jim Caldwell ??

Would love that!  This organization isn’t smart enough to go that route though.  

20 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed and that's why it may be a decent shout to have a more defensive minded HC.

A long time ago Lurie was convinced he didn’t want another defensive minded HC after Rhodes. Might be harder to convince him otherwise with Doug and Andy winning the SB now. We will see though. 

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

And I agree it is unlikely. I just think there's a way for us to almost have the best of both worlds. Bring in a young defensive minded HC who can put together a mean defense that creates turnovers and then bring in a young OC who can create his own exciting offense. 

Archived