GDT: Washington Football Team @ Philadelphia Eagles, 1-3-21 @ 8:20 PM EST

EagleJoe8

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Really this squad was worse than the bad teams the Eagles usually put out there. These were backups to backups. Hurts mobility’s helped, but frankly he didn’t have a great game, but he’s throwing to bad football players. Sudfeld was screwed cause he couldn’t run around like Hurts could. The truth here is WTF stunk so bad they made a team full of PS players look good. 

I agree.  It looked like a tank when we were on offense, but if people really look at it...I don't think so.  Look at how well our defense played. That isn't the way you would want your defense to play if you were tanking.  We would've seen some missed tackles and long plays.  We had so many backups on defense and they still played well.  Sudfeld was so rusty that he was terrible. He probably didn't get much work in the week.  But, if your starting tackles are Pryor and Toth, then you wouldn't want to risk Wentz or Hurts behind that OL. Ultimately, the goal of this franchise at this point is to get the players out of this season without any further significant injuries. We don't owe the Giants the division by playing all our starters for 4 quarters.  I think it looked worse because we saw the typical 4th down go for it boneheaded playcall by Doug and we saw a young DT jump offsides in a critical moment.  Sudfeld was just so bad, but that wasn't shocking. But, I think when people look at it in totality, it makes it appear like it was orchestrated.  Doug isn't a great communicator. Even if he said Sudfeld could get action, he should've just said that Hurts would get 3 quarters and Sudfeld will get the 4th and that would've helped reduce some of the blowback that is happening now.

34 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

So who all are gone. Wentz, Ertz, Jeffery, DeSean, Malik, Peters, Curry?, Pryor( I hope), Clement, JJAW?. Who else am I missing

Doug and Howie 

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

All the stupid giants had to do was win 1 more game this year and then they wouldn't be crying. As if I feel bad for them ...

I liked hanging out here during the games. See ya next season and hopefully it will be better.

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

All the stupid giants had to do was win 1 more game this year and then they wouldn't be crying. As if I feel bad for them ...

All of these teams were below .500. None of us really deserve the playoffs. Washington is going to get destroyed by Tampa.  Alex Smith can barely move in the pocket right now.  

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

Like first game against Eagles when Evan Engram dropped what could have been a game ender.

Just now, NOTW said:

We've seen Doug do this all season. I don't think the go for it call was unusual. I expected it based on what Doug has done all year.

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think anyone is believing that Carson was out there playing with great talent, but all of Carson’s were not just due to the people around him. The guy has fundamental problems and he’s made it clear he’s not willing to change. The fact you’re comparing Dudfeld to Carson just looks worse for Carson. 

Oh sorry, Let me compare him to Elway (a HOFer) instead. Elway had QB ratings worse than Wentz this season  in 6 of his 1st 10 seasons. He threw at least 14 INTs in 9 of his seasons. He had double-digit fumbles in 5 seasons. 

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

I agree.  It looked like a tank when we were on offense, but if people really look at it...I don't think so.  Look at how well our defense played. That isn't the way you would want your defense to play if you were tanking.  We would've seen some missed tackles and long plays.  We had so many backups on defense and they still played well.  Sudfeld was so rusty that he was terrible. He probably didn't get much work in the week.  But, if your starting tackles are Pryor and Toth, then you wouldn't want to risk Wentz or Hurts behind that OL. Ultimately, the goal of this franchise at this point is to get the players out of this season without any further significant injuries. We don't owe the Giants the division by playing all our starters for 4 quarters.  I think it looked worse because we saw the typical 4th down go for it boneheaded playcall by Doug and we saw a young DT jump offsides in a critical moment.  Sudfeld was just so bad, but that wasn't shocking. But, I think when people look at it in totality, it makes it appear like it was orchestrated.  Doug isn't a great communicator. Even if he said Sudfeld could get action, he should've just said that Hurts would get 3 quarters and Sudfeld will get the 4th and that would've helped reduce some of the blowback that is happening now.

Doug doesn't run the defense. However, on offense we've heard "kill kill kill" a LOT more than usual. That loads me to believe Doug was just going vanilla with the same few plays over and over again. I doubt he even put together a gameplan. That was made obvious when he allegedly stated before the game he wanted to get Suffield some playing time. 

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Not only that, I think you throw analytics out the window when you have nothing to lose (are out of playoff contention). 

I’m convinced this whole year was a tank. They drafted Hurts. Then they blow the first Washington game. They knew they were in cap trouble. They wanted Wentz to look bad. Howie and Doug are back because this was planned to help the rebuild and move on from Wentz. They just had to get the fan base on board.

1 minute ago, Heavywchamp said:

Doug doesn't run the defense. However, on offense we've heard "kill kill kill" a LOT more than usual. That loads me to believe Doug was just going vanilla with the same few plays over and over again. I doubt he even put together a gameplan. That was made obvious when he allegedly stated before the game he wanted to get Suffield some playing time. 

Doug runs the team though. So, if there was a plan to not win, then the defense would most likely be in on it, too.  What if the defense returns a fumble or INT late and it wins the game?  We were in this game the whole way.  I wanted Doug to have a vanilla game plan.  I would've been cool with 40 runs and most on 1st and 2nd down.  Play the game and if Washington is sloppy, then we win. If not, then fine, we will take a higher pick. The Eagles goal in this game should be to get out of it healthy...be competitive...and try to not hurt draft position by being overly creative. I was actually pissed when Doug finally called a trick pass with Ward. I thought we would've seen that a year or two ago.

2 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

I’m convinced this whole year was a tank. They drafted Hurts. Then they blow the first Washington game. They knew they were in cap trouble. They wanted Wentz to look bad. Howie and Doug are back because this was planned to help the rebuild and move on from Wentz. They just had to get the fan base on board.

Nah. You are too much into conspiracy theories.  There is no reason for the Eagles to do that. And how would that explain the massive injuries?  

6 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Oh sorry, Let me compare him to Elway (a HOFer) instead. Elway had QB ratings worse than Wentz this season  in 6 of his 1st 10 seasons. He threw at least 14 INTs in 9 of his seasons. He had double-digit fumbles in 5 seasons. 

And that was when the NFL was a "running" league. In today's NFL if a QB has a bad year the fans want you gone immediately. Philly has always been the place where the fans wanted the backup QB to start

11 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Lol Elway threw more than 20 tds in his career before he was 30 once. What changed? Oh yeah the league did. Comparing Carson to Elway is actually worse. Carson’s playing during a passing era when if defenders breath on defensive backs it’s a penalty. Your comparison is as pointless as your JJAW route running videos. 

8 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

You must be sarcastic right?

Just now, Heavywchamp said:

And that was when the NFL was a "running" league. In today's NFL if a QB has a bad year the fans want you gone immediately. Philly has always been the place where the fans wanted the backup QB to start

The funny thing about Elway's career is that he didn't win his Championships until he finally had a stud RB on the team. 

7 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Nah. You are too much into conspiracy theories.  There is no reason for the Eagles to do that. And how would that explain the massive injuries?  

I remember AR used to put promising camp bodies on IR for "stingers"

19 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Injuries happen and without them it doesn’t mean we were trying to win. Even our wins were fluke. No one expected Fulgham to play hero ball against the 49ers. Or the Giants to fall apart against us. There are multiple reasons for the Eagles to do that. This year was all an act.

we have been awful in every second half other than when the games have been out of reach. And when we have gotten into reach we always fall apart.

19 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

I don’t agree with that. WR passes were installed. There was also movement in the pocket with rollouts and lots of motions. They had a game plan and like most times this year it only worked for half the game. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Lol Elway threw more than 20 tds in his career before he was 30 once. What changed? Oh yeah the league did. Comparing Carson to Elway is actually worse. Carson’s playing during a passing era when if defenders breath on defensive backs it’s a penalty. Your comparison is as pointless as your JJAW route running videos. 

Back in the mid to late 80s, teams like Denver, Miami, Buffalo, Houston, etc... were all becoming passing teams. That's why the NFC was superior for over a decade. Passing had very little to do with rule enforcement and more to do with philosophy. Acting like you can't compare players from different eras is a cop out. Football is football. Back when Elway played, teams didn't start games with 5 DBs either. Hybrid S/LBs were not a thing. The only team that had real success against The Bears' 46 defense in 85 was the Dolphins because Marino demonstrated how to beat the blitz. Teams adapt over time, but the game is the same. A turnover was just as costly in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s, as it is today. A completion was just as crucial then as it is today. A TD was just as important then as it is today. 

6 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Injuries happen and without them it doesn’t mean we were trying to win. Even our wins were fluke. No one expected Fulgham to play hero ball against the 49ers. Or the Giants to fall apart against us. There are multiple reasons for the Eagles to do that. This year was all an act. 

We didn't have Brooks, Lane, Seumalo for weeks and Goedert and Ertz at various times. Those injuries weren't fake. A team isn't going to throw the whole season early in the year. When you lose most of your OL, the team is going to struggle.  

Archived