GDT: Washington Football Team @ Philadelphia Eagles, 1-3-21 @ 8:20 PM EST

EagleJoe8

55 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

His passing numbers are almost identical to Wentz this season.  I really don't see why everyone is so excited by what we have been shown so far.

One guy is a rookie that should only get better and the other is a veteran getting paid like the top at his position. 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

What's funny is Howie said one reason to draft Hurts was Sudfeld wants a chance to start and won't re-sign as a free agent. So putting him in wasn't to evaluate him for next season...unless he'll be Hurts backup?

It was to intentionally tank the game. It sucks. It was cringe worthy to watch. However, come draft time we will all be happy he did it (until Howie blows the pick).

16 minutes ago, MagicMoment said:

One guy is a rookie that should only get better and the other is a veteran getting paid like the top at his position. 

The point is, with this o line it doesn't matter who is back there, they're going to look like crap.  It's impossible to evaluate either player based on this season's performance.

47 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

There was zero proof the Hurts was leading them back, but it did come across as too obvious for their own good. 

The real embarrasment is WA. They did everything they could to blow it even after we held the door open for them. I don't know if they will even be a decent tune up for playoff Brady. 

Seth Joyner went over board. 

First it was a meaningless game. 2nd Pederson was on the record stating he wanted to get the back up in the game. This was before the game happened. 3rd everyone knew the Eagles had to lose this game to get a top 5 pick or stay at 6. Fourth; the Eagles are now officially rebuilding, any expectation that this will be a playoff team next season is misguided. 5th did anyone have a problem with the Sixers tanking? Sixth, there is no guarantee that Hurts would have won the game. Seems like many including the Giants, assume he would have. Finally, Seventh Washington did everything they could to lose that game. Ps. Does anyone have a problem with teams heading to the playoffs sitting their starters? 

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

It was to intentionally tank the game. It sucks. It was cringe worthy to watch. However, come draft time we will all be happy he did it (until Howie blows the pick).

Agreed. With the 6th pick it's almost impossible to blow it, even for Howie. He can close his eyes and throw a dart at a list of the top 10 players and come away with a blue chip prospect. It's so easy a Chimp could do it.

13 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Agreed. With the 6th pick it's almost impossible to blow it, even for Howie. He can close his eyes and throw a dart at a list of the top 10 players and come away with a blue chip prospect. It's so easy a Chimp could do it.

THIS JUST IN they pulled the draft picking chimp and put curious george in. curious george has made it clear he's interested in yellow hats for  starters.

1 hour ago, Dweedlebug said:

The point is, with this o line it doesn't matter who is back there, they're going to look like crap.  It's impossible to evaluate either player based on this season's performance.

With the same bad line, the rookie looks MUCH more promising. 

7 minutes ago, MagicMoment said:

Yea but his style of play doesn't historically last long. Running QB's eventually get hurt and if you don't have a viable backup then you get bit in the a**. Teams who have athletic QB's better have a decent backup QB because they are at more risk to get injured. Even if it isn't contact related. 

BUT - this does seem to be the way the league is headed. I mean look at Lawrence, he can escape the pocket and run. Guys just have to be smart about it. I will say that Hurts does throw it away and baseball slide very well. 

10 minutes ago, MagicMoment said:

True. Mostly due to his mobility. Wentz needs a more solid line as he tends to stay in the pocket longer than Hurts. 

3 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

True. Mostly due to his mobility. Wentz needs a more solid line as he tends to stay in the pocket longer than Hurts. 

I think Wentz's injury history has gotten inside his head and that's why he doesn't break the pocket anymore, not near as much as he used to. Wentz was always known for picking up extra yards or extending plays, however he went about it the wrong way. Staying in bounds (which doesn't protect you), sliding head first (which doesn't protect you), and taking sacks when nothing was there instead of throwing it away. 

Wentz may not be as fast as Hurts but Wentz could still hurt you with his legs/strength. 

2 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

I think Wentz's injury history has gotten inside his head and that's why he doesn't break the pocket anymore, not near as much as he used to. Wentz was always known for picking up extra yards or extending plays, however he went about it the wrong way. Staying in bounds (which doesn't protect you), sliding head first (which doesn't protect you), and taking sacks when nothing was there instead of throwing it away. 

Wentz may not be as fast as Hurts but Wentz could still hurt you with his legs/strength. 

True. And as the most sacked QB in the NFL I believe his play suffered because he was shell shocked. 

4 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Now?

Yeah I guess I’m the late one here, but they were missing a lot of stuff and saying some ridiculous things last night. It was pretty bad for the Sunday night group. Collinsworth is more interested in promoting PFF than he is at providing real analysis. 

5 hours ago, Heavywchamp said:

Nah, nothing against the QBs I was referring to Doug's playcalling. Defenses have been keying in on his predictable and overused plays. QBs constantly have to kill the original play and revert to a vanilla run. His offense is easily figured out by defenses. He's been outcoached all season long. 

Well I’m going to let you in on a not so subtle secret of this game. The Eagles really wanted to lose, but WFT really didn’t want to win all that much either. Their lack of desire to win the NFC East greatly exposed the Eagles desire to lose the game. 

1 hour ago, MagicMoment said:

Except he doesn't.  His numbers are almost identical to Carson's, aside from the much higher fumble per touch ratio.

4 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

His passing numbers are almost identical to Wentz this season.  I really don't see why everyone is so excited by what we have been shown so far.

Eagles need to rebuild, which takes money. Least with hurts have some what of a chance during rebuild.

13 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

You’d be surprised to find out that the final score was 20-14.  I get it, you’re angry that they looked like crap on national tv for over a quarter of a game.  You’re probably also angry that you’ve just watched 16 games that were pretty terrible overall.  In the end, it should help them, getting the 6th pick instead of the 9th pick.

What the coach did was entirely legal, almost understandable,  but executed in such a blatant, bird-finger manner, that whatever esteem we enjoyed before has been seriously damaged for many moons to come.

So this time next year, when the football world refuses to forget,  ask yourself... Was it worth it?

56 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

Except he doesn't.  His numbers are almost identical to Carson's, aside from the much higher fumble per touch ratio.

That's pretty sad considering he's a rookie 😕

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

That's pretty sad considering he's a rookie 😕

Not much you can expect behind a makeshift o line that is a different grouping every week.  Doesn't matter who is back there, they're going to suck.

Just now, Dweedlebug said:

Not much you can expect behind a makeshift o line that is a different grouping every week.  Doesn't matter who is back there, they're going to suck.

You think? I expect much more from my big money QB which is the reason why we have a makeshift o line because of his cap hold. Gotta be better than a rook at least.

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

We can disagree on this, but I'm not going into next year with a RB playing QB.  That puts this Wentz deal in a whole new light.   Broken or not, he has the brains and talent to turn it around, if Doug is gone.

And that's fine that's your view. I have to say I feel a little sick at the idea of running it back with Howie Doug and Carson. 

21 minutes ago, doodad said:

What the coach did was entirely legal, almost understandable,  but executed in such a blatant, bird-finger manner, that whatever esteem we enjoyed before has been seriously damaged for many moons to come.

So this time next year, when the football world refuses to forget,  ask yourself... Was it worth it?

People are overreacting.  Teams rest starters when they make the playoffs, and try out younger guys to get them experience when they're eliminated. 

They played a division rival who won the division as a result of them losing.  If they were playing a non-division team it might make more sense. Either way, a division rival was going to win.

I didn't take it as anything toward the Giants, but for draft position.  

8 minutes ago, judunno said:

You think? I expect much more from my big money QB which is the reason why we have a makeshift o line because of his cap hold. Gotta be better than a rook at least.

Injuries is the reason we have a makeshift o-line, not Carson's contract.  Again, doesn't matter how much you're paying someone if they're on their back in 2 seconds or less or running for their life.

7 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

Injuries is the reason we have a makeshift o-line, not Carson's contract.  Again, doesn't matter how much you're paying someone if they're on their back in 2 seconds or less or running for their life.

Carson's contract is an impediment no matter how you want to swing it. But 2 seconds or less was not always the case. That happened a lot less than you think.

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that's fine that's your view. I have to say I feel a little sick at the idea of running it back with Howie Doug and Carson. 

Like I said.  Without Doug.  And I will gladly add Howie.  I just don't think there is any sustained success coming from a RB dressed up as a QB., so that is a HUGE decision.

IF I have to choose between Doug and Carson, I choose Carson.

IF I have to choose between Howie and Doug, I'd choose Howie.

In my book, Doug's inability to field a successful staff, to develop and scheme to his talent, and his gameday success, makes him the odd man out.

Archived