GDT: Washington Football Team @ Philadelphia Eagles, 1-3-21 @ 8:20 PM EST

EagleJoe8

27 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Like I said.  Without Doug.  And I will gladly add Howie.  I just don't think there is any sustained success coming from a RB dressed up as a QB., so that is a HUGE decision.

IF I have to choose between Doug and Carson, I choose Carson.

I'm not saying Hurts is the answer either though bud. 

Oh no without doubt I choose Doug. Then Carson with Howie being last on any and every list. 

27 minutes ago, judunno said:

Carson's contract is an impediment no matter how you want to swing it. But 2 seconds or less was not always the case. That happened a lot less than you think.

I don't disagree, but it didn't effect our o-line's health.  It's not like we passed on drafting linemen or adding free agent linemen due to cap issues.  We expected them to be healthy and they are one of the best lines in the league when they are, hence much better numbers last season even with practice squad receivers.

7 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

How about when teams rest players going into the playoffs?  They’re not trying to win since they rest many of their starters.

I'm just pissed at the the whole org right now- venting.

12 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Battle has been lost, but the war isn't over. We lost the battle(season), but advanced our position in the war (draft). Sometimes you gotta sacrifice to gain. Sometimes you gotta take 1 step back in order to move 2 steps forward. Need more analogies? Get over your self. If you dont win the SB you're just a loser like everyone else. 

I'm just pissed and venting. Yesterday is in the past, and now I start looking forward. What is done is done- the entire org embarrassed itself on national tv. You don't put Suds in there. You let Hurts play and see more about him- such as bring can he bring a team back... to a comeback win in a playoff type atmosphere (for TFT)? That was total bullshi*. 

Now it's time to look at the draft and hope to God Howie doesn't try to be all cute again and at LEAST get the #1 right. 

1 hour ago, Dweedlebug said:

I don't disagree, but it didn't effect our o-line's health.  It's not like we passed on drafting linemen or adding free agent linemen due to cap issues.  We expected them to be healthy and they are one of the best lines in the league when they are, hence much better numbers last season even with practice squad receivers.

How do you know this?

17 minutes ago, judunno said:

How do you know this?

How do you not?

1 minute ago, Dweedlebug said:

How do you not?

Well... we were so desperate we ended up bringing back Peters who was probably the only thing they could afford in the price range. He's my evidence 🙂

Just now, judunno said:

Well... we were so desperate we ended up bringing back Peters who was probably the only thing they could afford in the price range. He's my evidence 🙂

Look at who was available and tell me who you think they would have spent the money on if they had it.  The top 4 or 5 o line free agents were all tagged.  Do you honestly believe we would have paid in the 30 - 40 million range for someone like Conklin or Bulaga?  Really?

The Eagles must do something about its player evaluation. Where is the next Bobby Betherd?

More of the same player eval team is not acceptable. 

The Eagles are picking sixth, I am expecting an impact player at 6. The best OL available would be nice. There are five next gen spots open. 

SB Nation and BR has the Eagles taking Micah Parsons. Don't let anyone talk Howie out of taking Micah Parsons. 

And the Eagles have to stay away from the bad relative Philadelphia jinx. Now they have Seth and David instead of Steph and Draymond ( I know Draymond is not related but it is the same name so it must fit the pattern

2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I'm just pissed and venting Yesterday is in the past, and now I start looking forward. What is done is done- the entire org embarrassed itself on national tv. You don't put Suds in there. You let Hurts play and see more about him- such as bring can he bring a team back... to a comeback win in a playoff type atmosphere (for TFT)? That was total bullshi*. 

Now it's time to look at the draft and hope to God Howie doesn't try to be all cute again and at LEAST get the #1 right. 

You aren't the only Eagles fan who is NOT happy with the nonsense Doug Pederson pulled against Washington on Sunday night.  I don't care about the circumstances, I want to see the Eagles win games; they can survive a three spot drop in the draft.  To put your 3rd string quarterback in a game when a game is still close and your rookie quarterback needs experience and to be evaluated...it was total BS.  It's ironic that it was a former Eagles player who once famously said "you play to win the game"; the Eagles certainly didn't appear to try to do that when Jalen Hurts was pulled for Nate Sudfeld.  I can only imagine what some Eagles players on every unit, especially Hurts, were thinking after Sudfeld came into the game.

As for Giants fans being upset, I understand where they are coming from, but I'll also say that if you want to make the playoffs, finish better than 6-10.  The only reason they even had a playoff chance is because the NFC East was terrible in 2020.

4 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

You aren't the only Eagles fan who is NOT happy with the nonsense Doug Pederson pulled against Washington on Sunday night. 

I think every fan is rightly unhappy and angry with that nonsense. Either play to win or play the back ups from the start. Don't pull Hurts with the game still close. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think every fan is rightly unhappy and angry with that nonsense. Either play to win or play the back ups from the start. Don't pull Hurts with the game still close. 

Yeah - I wouldn't have been happy if the Eagles decided to start Sudfeld, but I could have at least understood it.  They did do that (start backups over healthy starters) at some other positions last night (wasn't totally thrilled about that either).

What Doug Pederson did just sends a bad message to the Eagles players IMO, particularly Jalen Hurts.  It also makes the Eagles organization look bad.

53 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not every fan was upset. As soon as they did, I laughed and told the Giants to suck it. 

13 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Not every fan was upset. As soon as they did, I laughed and told the Giants to suck it. 

I'm with you. A week ago every commentator was laughing about how the Jets upset their fan base by NOT tanking the game.
This week the same ppl are crying about the Eagles doing just the opposite.

So they lost a meaningless game. If they won do you think one person would be applauding them for it?
Wake the F up. It's over and they have a better draft pick waiting. If they snag Smith or Chase with that pick
the whining will slam to a stop and Pederson will be everyone's hero for losing that game.

And if Howie blows the pick the whiners will have a field day. So save it for then.

44 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

What Doug Pederson did just sends a bad message to the Eagles players IMO, particularly Jalen Hurts.  It also makes the Eagles organization look bad.

There was no good outcome if Hurtz finished the game. IMO this is all media spin to make something out of a nothing game.

2 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

Look at who was available and tell me who you think they would have spent the money on if they had it.  The top 4 or 5 o line free agents were all tagged.  Do you honestly believe we would have paid in the 30 - 40 million range for someone like Conklin or Bulaga?  Really?

If the $ wasn't locked up in Wentz why not? Championships are won upfront. Conklin was young enough 🙂

1 hour ago, CHIP72 said:

You aren't the only Eagles fan who is NOT happy with the nonsense Doug Pederson pulled against Washington on Sunday night.  I don't care about the circumstances, I want to see the Eagles win games; they can survive a three spot drop in the draft.  To put your 3rd string quarterback in a game when a game is still close and your rookie quarterback needs experience and to be evaluated...it was total BS.  It's ironic that it was a former Eagles player who once famously said "you play to win the game"; the Eagles certainly didn't appear to try to do that when Jalen Hurts was pulled for Nate Sudfeld.  I can only imagine what some Eagles players on every unit, especially Hurts, were thinking after Sudfeld came into the game.

As for Giants fans being upset, I understand where they are coming from, but I'll also say that if you want to make the playoffs, finish better than 6-10.  The only reason they even had a playoff chance is because the NFC East was terrible in 2020.

Very good post, IMO.

1 hour ago, CHIP72 said:

Wrong.

The eagles have a VERY complicated picture at Qb next year and they used this game to better their off season decision making process.  DONE. That's it.  Nothing more to discuss and that us exactly the decision they should have made.

First they got a good long look at Jalen Hurts, who was coming off 3 really bad qtrs against Dallas.  He came back with a damn solid 3 qtr performance.  when they'd seen enough, OUT he goes.  He has no receivers, so how's he gonna win that game?  with his legs.  You want your potential franchise blowing a leg to help the GIANTS?  Taking hits against THAT DLine? 

If Wentz is gone Sudfield is our top backup option for next year.  We don't have 5-10m cap room to get a vet backup, he's our developmental guy and he got ZERO preseason this year.  In normal PS he would have gotten 6-7 qtrs of action.  They absolutely needed to see him in a game.

Doug DID go for the win.  He knew Hurts was going out so he went for the TD when he had the chance.  Doug coached exactly the way you coach a PS game.  To win, but with player development and roster priorities.

SNF can suck it.  We didn't ask to get our 2pm game bumped to prime time, if NFL wanted a great SNF game they should have put something else on.  Cards-Rams, whatever.  the Gianst can suck it even more.  6-10???  Seriously? They should send us cake for preserving their top 10 pick.

F SNF, F the idiots crying who are crying about it and most of all F the Giants.

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Same.  Teams rest starters for the playoffs, and when they're eliminated from the playoffs themselves they put in younger guys to get them some playing time and evaluate.  No team is responsible to do anything to help any other team.  

These people forget the Eagles were playing a division rival - so if they beat the WFT would they complain they are responsible for letting the Giants make the playoffs?  No, you want to make the playoffs go win your games.

2 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Wrong.

The eagles have a VERY complicated picture at Qb next year and they used this game to better their off season decision making process.  DONE. That's it.  Nothing more to discuss and that us exactly the decision they should have made.

First they got a good long look at Jalen Hurts, who was coming off 3 really bad qtrs against Dallas.  He came back with a damn solid 3 qtr performance.  when they'd seen enough, OUT he goes.  He has no receivers, so how's he gonna win that game?  with his legs.  You want your potential franchise blowing a leg to help the GIANTS?  Taking hits against THAT DLine? 

If Wentz is gone Sudfield is our top backup option for next year.  We don't have 5-10m cap room to get a vet backup, he's our developmental guy and he got ZERO preseason this year.  In normal PS he would have gotten 6-7 qtrs of action.  They absolutely needed to see him in a game.

Doug DID go for the win.  He knew Hurts was going out so he went for the TD when he had the chance.  Doug coached exactly the way you coach a PS game.  To win, but with player development and roster priorities.

SNF can suck it.  We didn't ask to get our 2pm game bumped to prime time, if NFL wanted a great SNF game they should have put something else on.  Cards-Rams, whatever.  the Gianst can suck it even more.  6-10???  Seriously? They should send us cake for preserving their top 10 pick.

F SNF, F the idiots crying who are crying about it and most of all F the Giants.

agreed 

Not to mention, the defense wasn't taking.  Pressuring the QB, interceptions...keeping older player Graham out there, Hargrave who had injury this year.

Here's an inescapable fact. If Evan Ingram catches a simple 3rd down pass against us of all teams, this is a non issue for the Giants.

As a result of tanking, Eagles fans will be yelling Micah Parsons for the next twelve years. I will take it. The Eagles draft a top linebacker, I love it. LBers did not lose utility in modern football, the Eagles lost touch with reality. 

Micah, Micah, Micah 

I only found one commentator who noted the choice was 6 or 9. If all naysayers knew that they would say, NEVER MIND. 

44 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Wrong.

Please - the Eagles already know what they are going to do at quarterback going into 2021.  They are either 1) going to trade Wentz, give Hurts a chance to be the starter, and sign an inexpensive but experienced backup (which may or may not be Nate Sudfeld) who can replace Hurts if he gets injured or struggles (and probably also draft a quarterback in the middle rounds of the 2021 draft) or 2) going to keep Wentz and have a quarterback competition between him and Hurts prior to the 2021 season (3rd string guy could be Sudfeld, some other young, inexperienced veteran, or a rookie).  Nate Sudfeld is a very minor, replaceable piece of the Eagles' puzzle; Doug Pederson's own personnel decisions the last two seasons scream out that fact.  Playing Sudfeld last night doesn't alter what they will do one bit.

If Doug Pederson really was going for the win, that means he plays the healthy, active quarterback who he believes gives the Eagles the best chance to win the game.  I would hope he didn't think that guy was Nate Sudfeld, considering he didn't deem him good enough to play for two years, and knocked him down to 3rd string from backup almost as soon as he had the chance two years in a row.  And the players who did play in the game and presumably DID play to win probably would have liked seeing the guy at quarterback who gave them the best chance to win.  That guy was almost definitely Jalen Hurts, not Nate Sudfeld.

Though I thought all along the Cardinals/Rams game should have been the Week 17 NBC SNF game, NBC and the NFL don't have to suck it; the Eagles did that for them.  I don't really care what the Giants say; they went 6-10, and no 6-10 team has ever made or really ever deserved to make the playoffs.  The more important thing to me is the team or organization that looks the worst after Sunday night's game isn't the NFL, or NBC, or the Giants; it is the Eagles.

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

Doug coached exactly the way you coach a PS game.  To win, but with player development and roster priorities.

This I suspect is the closest to the truth.

With the QB situation up in air like it is, it's probably a good thing we end this game and season all agreeing Suds is not the guy.

Archived