EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

If Hurts can't handle the threat of Nick Foles, he will never succeed as a QB in Philly.  

It's a totally unnecessary completely avoidable distraction.

Which is why the Eagles will likely do it. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

I think Eagles should bring in Fitzpatrick , he is a team guy and has a wealth of experience for the young QB .

He will likely cost too much if I had to guess.  But if they did want competition he would provide it. 

Problem with Foles is he can't run a conventional offense, his only success has been with the RPO under Chip and then Doug. So pass.

Actually, if the Eagles draft a couple offensive players:  Chase/Pitts/Waddle, a power back, and maybe one other skill player, with Sanders/Scott, Goedert, Reagor/Fulgham/Watkins, they'll have a solid group of skill players. Then an OL of Mailata - Seumalo - Kelce - Brooks - Lane, Dillard, Driscoll, Herbig, Toth/Juriga.

That would give Hurts a fair shot at showing he's a NFL QB. If he fails, it won't be for lack of hard work, maybe if Wentz had spent his last offseason with QB gurus working on his mechanics, he'd still be our starting QB. I'll bet on the guy with off the wall intangibles, it's not that Wentz was lazy or anything like that, but Hurts is wired a bit differently. He's dealt with setbacks and bounced back. People undervalue what he achieved at Oklahoma, coming in cold as a transfer and performing at the same level as Mayfield and Murray.

As far as physical tools, Hurts easily matches up with Watson and Dak. Mentally, we'll see. But it won't be for lack of preparation.

6 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

He's basically a 2000 yard from the  LOS back. 300 carries a year and helped make Dak's PA numbers look insane. 

I loathe Zek, he had a terrible year, Id never want to waste that high of a pick on a RB but that team and Dak leaned on him HARD AF the first 4 years. 

He was the focal point on 2, top 5 offenses. 

They leaned on him hard b/c they never developed a backup RB until Pollard the last two years, who has outgained (YPC) Zek each season.

So I'm skeptical of the true value of Zek to their offense, spend a lot of money getting the same production they could have gotten from a pair of solid RBs, like Sanders and Howard.

45 minutes ago, John_C said:

This could be the best and easiest to digest explanation for any who still are struggling to understand that the owner is the architect of the decline.

https://www.insidethebirds.com/post/philadelphia-eagles-trustworthy-process-conflicted-feelings-on-jeff-lurie-s-power-assertion

The team is broken, regardless of who is drafted, what coaches are hired or what FAs are signed, because the process is broken.  It would be silly to expect any meaningful change unless and until the owner realizes what he has done/is doing.  Retaining the GM* (*in name only), despite what would be total and complete failure at all levels, was the final confirmation of what is actually going on.  And it is not pretty.

I think most owners have involvement in all types of personnel type decisions.  Lurie has historically had a good relationship with his players.  Lurie has also deferred to other he has put in charge in the past.  He listened and supported the coaches that he hired.  I think Andy's long tenure and Chip's tenure changed his outlook.  The success Howie had with Doug not having a large role in the typical head coach decisions likely gave him reason to believe his views should be weighted much like Howie's.  I mean Howie isn't a "football guy."  That's where there's a problem.  I am not sure there is going to be a way back for him but I do think he wants to win.  He knows when things aren't working and he's willing to change.  To me the key is getting Howie out of his role in personnel.  The biggest problem has been on the drafting side and in order to fix this problem we can't have this committee approach that is too deferential to Lurie.  So getting a GM that will effectively be able to convince Lurie of his ability is key to making this happen.  Howie isn't ever going to be that type of GM.  

17 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's a totally unnecessary completely avoidable distraction.

Which is why the Eagles will likely do it. 

I am no longer entertained by a football team that has promise.  I only want a serious contender or complete chaos.  Foles is the key to a successful offseason for me. 

16 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He will likely cost too much if I had to guess.  But if they did want competition he would provide it. 

Why would he even consider coming to Philly?  

4 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Why would he even consider coming to Philly?  

To add another team that he played for to his list.  But yeah I agree he could probably start somewhere like Chicago or Washington. 

9 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I think most owners have involvement in all types of personnel type decisions.  Lurie has historically had a good relationship with his players.  Lurie has also deferred to other he has put in charge in the past.  He listened and supported the coaches that he hired.  I think Andy's long tenure and Chip's tenure changed his outlook.  The success Howie had with Doug not having a large role in the typical head coach decisions likely gave him reason to believe his views should be weighted much like Howie's.  I mean Howie isn't a "football guy."  That's where there's a problem.  I am not sure there is going to be a way back for him but I do think he wants to win.  He knows when things aren't working and he's willing to change.  To me the key is getting Howie out of his role in personnel.  The biggest problem has been on the drafting side and in order to fix this problem we can't have this committee approach that is too deferential to Lurie.  So getting a GM that will effectively be able to convince Lurie of his ability is key to making this happen.  Howie isn't ever going to be that type of GM.  

There is nothing wrong with a committee approach if you have the right people. Remember, most GMs who are "football men" fail. Some miserably.

HCs should always have input but rarely authority over personnel decisions.

Conversely, scouts simply don't have the knowledge of schemes to make final valuations of players.

So it's always going to be some sort of consensus process, with scouts and coaches giving their input, and the top personnel guys weighing it together.

Howie's strongest suit has always been "strategy," given a good draft board he knows how to maneuver the draft to get maximum value.

I have more confidence in the current group of coaches compared to Chip's gong show or Doug/Schwartz in terms of input to the process. A couple are former scouts, the rest have a lot of hands on experience developing players. Whether they are game day coaches remain to be seen, but in terms of identifying and coaching up talent during a rebuild, a definite improvement.

I’ve been hearing a lot of talk that Fitzpatrick intends to retire 

49 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

He was on pace for like 15-16 INT's and 6 fumbles. Sure he put up ridiclous yards cause he was always playing from behind but no, not an MVP contener. 

And I wont disagree that Zeke looked like crap. But I also dont expect anything else out of a Mccarthy ran offense. 

In regards to Zeke, I was listening to sports radio last night on my way home from work and they were talking about Zeke declining and saying he did because Dallas O-line had 2-3 guys out with injury and it's hard for any team to overcome that.  I was thinking to myself, welcome to the club.  Now they know how the Eagles felt getting hit with injuries, especially the O-line.

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I’ve been hearing a lot of talk that Fitzpatrick intends to retire 

Fitzpatrick says differently 

I have to take every offseason now, and just reassess. And I know, these last two years have really re-lit that fire under me, and I still want to play, and I enjoy being out there playing."

4 hours ago, greend said:

The point is the Lurie stuff could be a smoke screen so that nobody trades up ahead of us since we don't "want" a quarterback

Also possible that it is meant to scare the Bengals.  Trade down and we may just pick the player you think would still be there.  Kind of a triple swipe meant to paralyze the teams that might try to jump us, paralyze the teams below us that don’t have a QB and possibly create more value for our pick should none of the top five trade down.  

4 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I could shoot lightening bolts out of my arse this morning, but we all know that’s not gonna happen.  Lurie and Howie are to dumb to use a smokescreen.   You give them too much credit.  Further more, it is definitely Lurie’s style to go all in on supporting Hurts.  Especially after the Wentz debacle and the "qb factory” BS. It’s just dumb to announce it now.  

They didn’t announce it, they leaked it.  Misdirection leaks are a pattern for the Eagles and frankly, most other teams this time of year.  I don’t buy that Howie and Lurie are to dumb to do that when we see it every year.

Not sure if posted already, from Spotrac:

Current Contract

Dak Prescott signed a 4 year, $160,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $66,000,000 signing bonus, $126,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $40,000,000. In 2021, Prescott will earn a base salary of $9,000,000 and a signing bonus of $66,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $22,200,000 and a dead cap value of $95,000,000.

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $160,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$66,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$40,000,000 GTD AT SIGN:$95,000,000 TOTAL GTD:$126,000,000 FREE AGENT:2025 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2021 Contract details by year 28 $9,000,000 $13,200,000 - $22,200,000 $95,000,000 $75,000,000($75,000,000)  
2022 Contract details by year 29 $20,000,000 $13,200,000 - $33,200,000 $72,800,000 $20,000,000($95,000,000)  
2023 Contract details by year 30 $31,000,000 $13,200,000 - $44,200,000 $39,600,000 $31,000,000($126,000,000)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2024, 3 YR, $126,000,000; $26,400,000 DEAD CAP

2024 Contract details by year 31 $29,000,000 $13,200,000 $5,000,000 $47,200,000 $26,400,000 $34,000,000($160,000,000)  
2025 Contract details by year 32 - $13,200,000 - $13,200,000 $13,200,000 -  
2026 Contract details by year 33 - - - - - -  
2025 Free Agent Year 34 UFA  
Contract Notes:
  • $95M fully guaranteed (signing bonus + 2021 salary + 2022 salary)
  • $31M 2023 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2022 (injury guaranteed now)
  • 2024 Roster Bonus: $5M (5th league day of 2024)
  • No-Tag clause
  • No-Trade clause
  • 2025-2026 are void years for cap purposes
  • 2026 void year will allow the 2022 base salary to be restructured

5 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Fitzpatrick says differently 

I have to take every offseason now, and just reassess. And I know, these last two years have really re-lit that fire under me, and I still want to play, and I enjoy being out there playing."

When the QB doesn't suck and gets benched or gets injured and he has to sit the bench then he thinks about retirement

Tua was benched for Fitzpatrick 2 times and would have been a 3rd if Fitzpatrick wasn't on the covid list

2 hours ago, greend said:

I'm buying a S&W M&P15 Sport II with mine. :ph34r:

Bambi doesn’t stand a chance.  Thirty shots ought to take that deer down.

6 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Bambi doesn’t stand a chance.  Thirty shots ought to take that deer down.

Thinking more coyotes and maybe my "hog hunt".

The Houston Texans are an actual NFL representation of a meme. Watson has no line, no running game, no defense and decent at best weapons. Cooks is a concussion away from never walking again and Fuller is and always has been injury prone. The one great talent he had they traded for peanuts. Watson plays in a tougher division (albeit not that tough).

Dak has been, in large, surrounded by an elite line, a great running game and elite talent offensively while largely playing in a joke of a division and he still hasn't accomplished a damn thing.

Watson and Dak are not on the same level and almost every team in the league (including Dallas) would take Watson if they were able to. Cut the nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, greend said:

Thinking more coyotes and maybe my "hog hunt".

Not planning to butcher the pig?  

Just now, Swoop said:

The Houston Texans are an actual NFL representation of a meme. Watson has no line, no running game, no defense and decent at best weapons. Cooks is a concussion away from never walking again and Fuller is and always has been injury prone. The one great talent he had they traded for peanuts. Watson plays in a tougher division (albeit not that tough).

Dak has been, in large, surrounded by an elite line, a great running game and elite talent offensively while largely playing in a joke of a division and he still hasn't accomplished a damn thing.

Watson and Dak are not on the same level and almost every team in the league (including Dallas) would take Watson if they were able to. Cut the nonsense. 

Texans have been building their OL so in don’t see the accuracy of the no OL comment.

Archived