EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Nah man, all those defensive players they drafted are studs. That's why the defense was...check notes...28th in the league. STUDS.

The picks may work, they may not. But people were excited about Avonte Maddox and Sidney Jones too, so...

I'm guessing that's a sarcastic response to my comment.  When I say the Cowboys draft studs what I mean is they draft players who were studs in college.  They don't get cute with what a guy could be (Davion Taylor) or a QB factory mindset.  

Of course they weren't studs as rookies.  Diggs was very inconsistent but he battled and ended up with 3 picks...just 4 short of the entire Eagles team and 2 more than our ONLY corner with an INT.

They drafted what could be part of the foundation of their next wave of defense even if they didn't perform that great in 2020.  I'd also be willing to bet they are eyeing up Micah Parsons in the draft.  He just fits the kind of linebacker they like. 

Also, I don't know who was excited about Maddox and Jones, I sure as hell wasn't.  

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

If the Eagles are looking at adding at LB, there are plenty of decent prospects that will be available in the 2nd and potentially 3rd rounds.  I don't think Parsons would be that much of a difference maker for the team.  

I think parsons can be a building block for a defense. Having a guy like say luke Kuechly ray lewis Pat willis can be invaluable and transformative for a team 

Then again if one can find a comparable MLB in the Second round that can come in and be the same then yeah do that, problem is those guys like Parsons don't grow on trees, he's a freak.

Id be fine with parsons at 6 if one could trade down a bit and still get him even better.

I think the devaluing of LB by the eagles is a mistake. 

They need playmakers on the Back 7 and to me a 3 down multiple LB brings far more value to a defense than a corner a safety or even a one dimensional pass rusher.

Parsons might be great, but I would never draft a LB at 6. If we are going to take him, we have to trade down into the teens with someone who wants a QB. In the top 10, there is no justification for taking a RB, LB or TE. The incremental value over a replacement level guy isn't enough at those positions. With a premium draft slot, we need a premium player at a high value position. I'd love Sewell, but no way he gets past Cincy. So either take the best WR on the board or trade down. 

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Even (and especially if) they had traded for Cooper, they weren't going to draft Metcalf. They, and a LOT of other teams had flagged him for medical reasons. Add in Sidney Jones issues, and logically it makes sense they were gun shy on taking another medical risk. People are so obsessed with the Metcalf pick. It's like jilted ex lovers. The hate should be fully directed at JJAW, and how much of a bust he was. But it's so boring to rehash they should have drafted Metcalf instead. Let it go. 

Edit: From what I can recall, Metcalf had a great 40 time, but his agility numbers were pure trash, and the concern was he would be a one trick pony. 

Yup his agility numbers weren't good and even watching him the last two years he's still a bit of a one trick pony, that one trick of I'm bigger and faster than you in a straight line and after a catch is a pretty good trick though and Id rather have a one trick pony than a no trick turd like JJaw.

Just now, vikas83 said:

Parsons might be great, but I would never draft a LB at 6. If we are going to take him, we have to trade down into the teens with someone who wants a QB. In the top 10, there is no justification for taking a RB, LB or TE. The incremental value over a replacement level guy isn't enough at those positions. With a premium draft slot, we need a premium player at a high value position. I'd love Sewell, but no way he gets past Cincy. So either take the best WR on the board or trade down. 

I'm on the fence with Parsons, and agree would have no issue with him in the 10-15 range. Problem is, I don't think he gets out of the top 10. It's why I've jumped on the Farley train, either at 6 or with a trade down but still within the top 10

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

I'm on the fence with Parsons, and agree would have no issue with him in the 10-15 range. Problem is, I don't think he gets out of the top 10. It's why I've jumped on the Farley train, either at 6 or with a trade down but still within the top 10

I'd love a CB, but I think that's also a trade down. My dream scenario is 2 of the QBs are still around and someone (CAR, SF, NE) wants to make a move.

Bummed there isn't a stud pass rusher in this draft.

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Yup his agility numbers weren't good and even watching him the last two years he's still a bit of a one trick pony, that one trick of I'm bigger and faster than you in a straight line and after a catch is a oretty good trick though and Id rather have a one trick pony than a no truck turd like JJaw.

Yes, of course there's no debate now that he's far better than JJAW. But a lot of people act like he was a can't miss, sure fire prospect. He was incredibly risky, and kudos to Seattle for taking the risk and making it work. It helps to have Russ throwing, as one of his strengths is throwing deep too. It's basically a perfect match for them. I don't think that means the Eagles were wrong to not select him. 

Just now, vikas83 said:

I'd love a CB, but I think that's also a trade down. My dream scenario is 2 of the QBs are still around and someone (CAR, SF, NE) wants to make a move.

I really don't want to trade all the way out of the top 10. I really don't want Dallas or the Giants to pick ahead of us. Carolina would be a great partner, Denver too. Then take Farley/Slater/Parsons, in that order, would be my preference. 

4 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Urlacher and Kuechly were drafted 9th overall.  Patrick Willis 11th overall.  Not as high as 6 but right in the top 10 or just outside of it and I'd say those picks were worthwhile for those teams. 

But overall I agree with the idea of trading down a few spots no matter who we take unless Sewell drops to us if the run on QBs takes place like we expect it to in the top 10.   But I don't want to trade down lower than the Cowboys and Giants. 

DK Metcalf is a great WR because Seattle knows how to properly coach up their receivers. 

He was not some can't-miss stud prospect that slipped into the 2nd round because (insert reason here).  

We can't coach receivers for ish.  JJAW could be a good WR if we knew what the F to do with them. 

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

Yes, of course there's no debate now that he's far better than JJAW. But a lot of people act like he was a can't miss, sure fire prospect. He was incredibly risky, and kudos to Seattle for taking the risk and making it work. It helps to have Russ throwing, as one of his strengths is throwing deep too. It's basically a perfect match for them. I don't think that means the Eagles were wrong to not select him. 

Yup I had metcalfe off my wishlist simply because if Injury, I actually though AJ brown his teammate was the best WR in the draft.

He went 2 picks before eagles picked miles sanders. 

34 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Why?  I’m more concerned with Lance’s throwing than his running — he’s plenty fast enough.

If he skips any throwing drills at his workout that’d be a red flag.  I’d also give him some complex scheme problems to work through progressions on the whiteboard to evaluate his decision making.  He’s raw, but there’s no question about his physical talent

He’s another guy who’d be on my list after a trade down to the 9-12 range.  I wouldn’t take him at #6 because I think he needs a year to watch.

Just the principal of it. He's already been out for a full year minus the one game, he doesn't have much game tape as is, and if he wants to present himself as a dual threat QB he has no reason not to. 

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Urlacher and Kuechly were drafted 9th overall.  Patrick Willis 11th overall.  Not as high as 6 but right in the top 10 or just outside of it and I'd say those picks were worthwhile for those teams. 

But overall I agree with the idea of trading down a few spots no matter who we take unless Sewell drops to us if the run on QBs takes place like we expect it to in the top 10.   But I don't want to trade down lower than the Cowboys and Giants. 

Yup can't remember too many impact LBs going top 6.

Arrington was drafted 2nd overall but he never really lived up to the hype or draft status.

12 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Devin white 5 overall 

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Yup can't remember too many impact LBs going top 6.

Arrington was drafted 2nd overall but he never really lived up to the hype or draft status.

He was a great player his career just got derailed/cut short by injuries.  2x All Pro before the knee/Achilles injuries started hitting. 

Just an absolute animal.  I was at the Penn State-Illinois game where he made one of the most impressive plays I've seen when he jumped right over the line right at the snap and made the tackle instantly.  I can't remember though if it was a sack or he got the RB in the backfield. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

$ 185,020 in cap savings.  Look at the cap genius doing that work.

You  know he's just going to re-sign both at some point during the season because he has no idea what to do besides dip in the same well.

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He was a great player his career just got derailed/cut short by injuries.  2x All Pro before the knee/Achilles injuries started hitting. 

Just an absolute animal.  I was at the Penn State-Illinois game where he made one of the most impressive plays I've seen when he jumped right over the line right at the snap and made the tackle instantly.  I can't remember though if it was a sack or he got the RB in the backfield. 

The Illinois play was ridiculous.  The Lavar Leap defined his college career.  One of the funny things looking back at late 90s/2000s was how insanely large the shoulder pads were.  Look at Arrington, Charlie Garner, Shaun Alexander.  How the heck did we play with those monstrosities back then. 

BlueWhiteIllustrated - Arrington, prominent lettermen blast PSU search

Philadelphia Eagles RB Charlie Garner | Fly eagles fly, Philadelphia eagles,  Football helmets

37 Days 'Til Kickoff: Shaun Alexander - Roll 'Bama Roll

1 minute ago, Original Sin said:

I seen savings of 1.7 million 

That is the amount of their contracts.  They are then replaced on the top 51 by the following two contracts.

image.png.42b92dd0474640e2e2ebff5e01d1600c.png

Just now, downundermike said:

That is the amount of their contracts.  They are then replaced on the top 51 by the following two contracts.

image.png.42b92dd0474640e2e2ebff5e01d1600c.png

K thanks 

1 hour ago, garingovt2000 said:

If Parsons goes under 4.4 you guys going to pass at 6?

Does it matter if he runs a low 4.4, high 4.4 or a low 4.5? 

People need to get over the "is he super fast" stuff. Can he play the game? Does his game speed play well on tape? Is he the best player on the boards at our pick? 

I really dont care about a 40 time.

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Howie Roseman is not drafting an off the ball LB in the top 10. It's not worth discussing.

Jeffrey Lurie might tho...

Archived