Salary Cap Discussion: 2021 and beyond

time2rock

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I get that but they've got to be smart with it. Why on earth did they restructure Slay? I just can't get my head around that.

Darius Slay – Restructures contract 7.6 mil savings for 2021.  (From my earlier post on page 4). We can not trade him or cut him, due to his contract. Restructure is the only way. Also there is only very few individuals on the team with  large contracts. Irrelevant whether these several people are playing good like Graham or injured, or what the fans think ..?, they have the contracts...To get under 2021 Cap is the only goal for the Eagles...therefore these moves.

12 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Darius Slay – Restructures contract 7.6 mil savings for 2021.  (From my earlier post on page 4). We can not trade him or cut him, due to his contract. Restructure is the only way. Also there is only very few individuals on the team with  large contracts. Irrelevant whether these several people are playing good like Graham or injured, or what the fans think ..?, they have the contracts...To get under 2021 Cap is the only goal for the Eagles...therefore these moves.

But that's thinking short team. Why did they need to bump up his future years cap hit? Just take the hit on that one. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But that's thinking short team. Why did they need to bump up his future years cap hit? Just take the hit on that one. 

Personally I’d be looking to take as much of the salary cap hits in 2021 by trading or cutting the overpriced but aging vets on the decline.  That puts us in the best position possible in 2022 and beyond.  Zero chance we are going to compete for a championship in 2021 so take it in the chin this year as much as possible.  The focus should be on 2022 and beyond.  They can’t afford to have an eye on 2021 at the same time.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

Personally I’d be looking to take as much of the salary cap hits in 2021 by trading or cutting the overpriced but aging vets on the decline.  That puts us in the best position possible in 2022 and beyond.  Zero chance we are going to compete for a championship in 2021 so take it in the chin this year as much as possible.  The focus should be on 2022 and beyond.  They can’t afford to have an eye on 2021 at the same time.  

You can’t do that. Trading or cutting the majority of these veterans costs us money or saves very very little. The only way to get under cap and field a full team is to restructure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

MillerTime is correct below.  

4 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

You can’t do that. Trading or cutting the majority of these veterans costs us money or saves very very little. The only way to get under cap and field a full team is to restructure.

17 hours ago, time2rock said:

That's exactly where I'm at. Let this be the year to take the hit because otherwise how can we truly rebuild.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MillerTime said:

That doesn't work for vets like Lane Johnson but it does for Brooks.  You trade him and incur a $12M dead money hit to the cap but you do end up freeing up $2.3M in cap space, and you play Herbig at LG who, overall, looked decent (he got better as the season went on) and has only a $850K cap hit.  The youth movement needs to start now.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

That doesn't work for vets like Lane Johnson but it does for Brooks.  You trade him and incur a $12M dead money hit to the cap but you do end up freeing up $2.3M in cap space, and you play Herbig at LG who, overall, looked decent (he got better as the season went on) and has only a $850K cap hit.  The youth movement needs to start now.  

There is no value in trading him.

Let’s say he comes back and has a Pro Bowl year. We then just traded a pro bowl guard while trying to develop a young QB for nothing. I say nothing because we may get a 6th or 7th for him if that. Look at the Trent Brown trade.

Let’s say he doesn’t have a Pro Bowl year. We can get rid of him next year easier. We also can give Herbig a year to develop with an actual offseason.

Trade discussions could mean anything. A team could have asked we throw him in with Ertz for all we know.

Brooks isn’t a player to restructure unless we absolutely have to but Johnson, Graham, and Cox have to be this year.

16 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

There is no value in trading him.

Let’s say he comes back and has a Pro Bowl year. We then just traded a pro bowl guard while trying to develop a young QB for nothing. I say nothing because we may get a 6th or 7th for him if that. Look at the Trent Brown trade.

Let’s say he doesn’t have a Pro Bowl year. We can get rid of him next year easier. We also can give Herbig a year to develop with an actual offseason.

Trade discussions could mean anything. A team could have asked we throw him in with Ertz for all we know.

Brooks isn’t a player to restructure unless we absolutely have to but Johnson, Graham, and Cox have to be this year.

I do see some sense in playing him in 2021 and hoping he stays healthy hoping to increase his trade value.  

With the projected savings of all the moves and expected moves, does anyone have an estimate for how much we are (expected to be) over or under the cap?

14 hours ago, downundermike said:

Just over 100K in cap savings.  Howie, the cap wizard putting in work.

You mock but if he can do just 350 more deals like this we'll be cap compliant.

Breaking news:  PFT reports the 2021 cap number will "almost definitely"  be $182.5 million.  Sounds about right.  Now back out the dead money starting with $34 million for the Wentz deal and you'll get a sense of what the Eagles have to do in the next week. 

10 hours ago, matchew88 said:

With the projected savings of all the moves and expected moves, does anyone have an estimate for how much we are (expected to be) over or under the cap?

Honestly it's hard to see how he complies with the cap from where we are without cutting or trading some surprise names or contracting Lane Johnson with void years until he's 47 or both.

This is the full absurdity of Howie keeping his job, whereas the Saints are notionally in a bigger hole than we are, they have good young tradeable players, three of their biggest cap hits are on two fifth year options and a franchise tag so can be solved with extensions and their starting QB agreed to cut his cap number by $24million next year, whereas our draft picks are marginal for extensions, our tradeable players have untradeable contracts, and we have 39million dead cap from a QB we just traded.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Honestly it's hard to see how he complies with the cap from where we are without cutting or trading some surprise names or contracting Lane Johnson with void years until he's 47 or both.

This is the full absurdity of Howie keeping his job, whereas the Saints are notionally in a bigger hole than we are, they have good young tradeable players, three of their biggest cap hits are on two fifth year options and a franchise tag so can be solved with extensions and their starting QB agreed to cut his cap number by $24million next year, whereas our draft picks are marginal for extensions, our tradeable players have untradeable contracts, and we have 39million dead cap from a QB we just traded.

Great, but this doesn't answer my question :P

@Cochis_Calhoun here is what I just posted in the blog on how the restructures are impacting the future cap.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Here is the update from OTC today, showing what the cap was previously.  This is updated with the Kelce restructure.  They must have also updated the back end of the Slay deal showing his cap hit of 22 million for 2022.

You can see from the below, in the last 6 days from re structures, Howie has already cut 28 million off the cap next year.  For all the folks who think Howie is a genius and we will be fine cap wise for 2022, here is the impact on future cap that I told you was going to happen.

@austinfan your boy just continues to kick the can down the road.  Saved 14 million this year by adding 28 million in 2022.  Genius.

2021 ( 69 ) 2022 ( 39 ) 2023 ( 24 ) 2024 ( 11 ) ( 12 ) 2025 ( 1 ) ( 3 )
Start - 03-04 $43,187,668.00 $73,325,877.00 $136,813,917.00 $207,502,060.00  
Slay update - 03-05 $34,297,668.00 $71,140,877.00 $134,528,917.00 $202,932,060.00 $230,456,000.00
Kelce update - 03-10 $29,272,668.00 $43,455,877.00 $112,373,917.00 $204,332,060.00 $233,706,000.00

11 hours ago, matchew88 said:

According to this piece by Roob, we were projected to still be roughly $29M over the cap prior to the Kelce and Seumalo moves.  The Kelce restructure cleared about $2.84M in cap space and Seumalo's restructure freed up an additional $2.4M.  So that means we are still roughly $23.8M over.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-isaac-seumalo-latest-eagle-restructure-cap-saving-move

I thought there'd be more cuts than restructures

Seems like Howie does not want to rip the Band-Aid off

17 minutes ago, time2rock said:

According to this piece by Roob, we were projected to still be roughly $29M over the cap prior to the Kelce and Seumalo moves.  The Kelce restructure cleared about $2.84M in cap space and Seumalo's restructure freed up an additional $2.4M.  So that means we are still roughly $23.8M over.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rumors-isaac-seumalo-latest-eagle-restructure-cap-saving-move

See my post above yours, still waiting on the Seumalo numbers, but it is already hammering the 2022 cap.

6 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I thought there'd be more cuts than restructures

Seems like Howie does not want to rip the Band-Aid off

There is not really anyone to cut to gain a significant chunk.  Barnett, Ertz and Goodwin are the only ones with significant savings by cutting them.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

See my post above yours, still waiting on the Seumalo numbers, but it is already hammering the 2022 cap.

There is not really anyone to cut to gain a significant chunk.  Barnett, Ertz and Goodwin are the only ones with significant savings by cutting them.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Barnett extended with some huge contract though

I'd be pissed if they gave Ertz that mega deal he was wanting last year.

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Wouldn't be shocked to see Barnett extended with some huge contract though

I'd be pissed if they gave Ertz that mega deal he was wanting last year.

Agreed on Barnett, drop his cap number to about 5 million.  That then leaves 24 million to shave off the cap.

Ertz and Goodwin save 9.2, that leaves 14.8 million that will have to be done with restructures. 

Some folks were clamoring about the 70+ million the Eagles will have in 2022 and all will be OK.  That number is now down to 43 million, and is going to take more losses when the rest of the restructures are done.  At some point the band aid will have to be ripped off, and Howie has now kicked the can down the road again so that in 2022, Lane, Kelce and Graham can not be cut or traded.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Agreed on Barnett, drop his cap number to about 5 million.  That then leaves 24 million to shave off the cap.

Ertz and Goodwin save 9.2, that leaves 14.8 million that will have to be done with restructures. 

Some folks were clamoring about the 70+ million the Eagles will have in 2022 and all will be OK.  That number is now down to 43 million, and is going to take more losses when the rest of the restructures are done.  At some point the band aid will have to be ripped off, and Howie has now kicked the can down the road again so that in 2022, Lane, Kelce and Graham can not be cut or traded.

Kelce and Graham may retire after this season. Not sure what it would do to the cap. Hopefully Lane and Brooks stay healthy otherwise that will be horrible to deal with

17 minutes ago, downundermike said:

SImilar to building up the roster, I think the process of getting the cap in order will take more than a single year to complete.  Sure we'll have plenty of extra space by not having Wentz's contract on the books (also won't have cap hits from Jeffery, DJax, or MJax).  These moves (and the resulting hits shifting to 2022) were expected.  Howie made a real mess out of the cap - there really was no other way to become cap compliant for the start of the new league year.