Salary Cap Discussion: 2021 and beyond

time2rock

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I wouldn't do the moves in bold unless we have to. Brooks is injury prone and Herbig can replace him. Slay is getting older, and we don't want to have him owed a ton of money later on. The Desean number you quoted is cutting him after June 1st. Cutting him prior to June 1st would save about half that.

The 2022 cap number is already off because of the moves we made today, which reduces our space for that year.

But, ultimately, it comes down to what we do with Wentz. If we keep him without a restructure this year, 2022 becomes dicey, especially if we have to restructure guys like Brooks and Lane, who have struggled with injuries.

You’re right. I messed up on the Jackson cut. If you remove those 2 moves and cut Jackson pre June 1st then we still have roughly 27 million in cap space.

It does all depend on Wentz. I think ultimately we will be able to build a better team by trading him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MillerTime said:

You’re right. I messed up on the Jackson cut. If you remove those 2 moves and cut Jackson pre June 1st then we still have roughly 27 million in cap space.

It does all depend on Wentz. I think ultimately we will be able to build a better team by trading him.

We will definitely be able to build a better team by trading Wentz if we get decent value for him. If he's willing to restructure his contract too then we'd potentially free up a fair bit of cap space too. 

9 hours ago, MillerTime said:

As long as you can find a competent starting QB...which is easier said than done.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

As long as you can find a competent starting QB...which is easier said than done.

That is the part that gets largely ignored.  IF Doug is able to get him back on track, that is obviously much more valuable to the team than a couple picks (well, and the cap space).  I'm just not sure Doug is the guy to be able to do that.  

• Like 1

Shouldnt we wait till the league and the owners vote on the salary cap number so we even know what number they have to get to???

Ive been saying exactly what Howie said yesterday. At this point the league has not committed to a number yet. No reason to really worry until there is something to worry about. 

12 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Shouldnt we wait till the league and the owners vote on the salary cap number so we even know what number they have to get to???

Ive been saying exactly what Howie said yesterday. At this point the league has not committed to a number yet. No reason to really worry until there is something to worry about. 

The intent of the thread was to highlight the various moves that will be made (and in the case of the original post have already been made) to gain cap space.  Otherwise there will be a new thread for every move Howie makes.  Like the weekly injury tracker, thought it best to create a single thread to capture everything.  If the Mods disagree, they are free to delete.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Shouldn't we wait until they make a decision in August about the starting QB and not discuss Wentz and Hurts?  Shouldn't we wait until the week before the draft to discuss who they should take, once we have more information?  Shouldn't we wait...

It's a discussion board.  :lol:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Shouldn't we wait until they make a decision in August about the starting QB and not discuss Wentz and Hurts?  Shouldn't we wait until the week before the draft to discuss who they should take, once we have more information?  Shouldn't we wait...

It's a discussion board.  :lol:

We aren't allowed opinions have you not heard? Another member has made that very clear. We don't know as much as the coaches etc and we as fans should not have a single negative word to say about the team. We must love every move they make. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

January 4th called ...

I looked back 2 pages for their names wasn’t expecting such an in your face that topic 😂 

• 2 weeks later...

PFT reporting that per league sources the 2021 cap may be in the range of $180 million, about $18 million less per team than in 2020. We know it can't go below $175 million (per the deal cut between the NFL and NFLPA last summer) so considering the catastrophic drop in revenue, $180 million makes sense. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/19/salary-cap-could-be-in-the-range-of-180-million/

Heading into the offseason the Eagles are about $52 million over the current cap of $198 million.  If the reports are correct, they will need to find about $70 million in cap space in 2021, plus or minus based on the final number. That's a lot of Cheez Whiz boys.  

Alshon, DJax, Ertz are the obvious candidates to be cut/traded. Most won’t want to hear this but they might end up deciding they have to trade Cox too. 

Just now, nipples said:

Alshon, DJax, Ertz are the obvious candidates to be cut/traded. Most won’t want to hear this but they might end up deciding they have to trade Cox too. 

At the very least he'll have to restructure.  So will guys like Slay and others who want to stay.  Unfortunately they will also have to lose some young talent too. For example, they save $10 million off the top by letting Derek Barnett go.  

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

At the very least he'll have to restructure.  So will guys like Slay and others who want to stay.  Unfortunately they will also have to lose some young talent too. For example, they save $10 million off the top by letting Derek Barnett go.  

They can also save money by signing him to an extension and lowering his cap hit. 

this isn’t the big scare everyone thinks it is. The can will continue to get kicked down the road and we will end up with 20 million dollars in space. Sign some mid level FAs and draft will cost around 5-7 million. We’re fine. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

They already restructured Jeffery, and Malik Jackson both who likely will be cut. The messed up part is restructuring just moves the dead money down the line. It’s clear the Eagles will be in a dire cap situation for multiple years to come. Howie needs some home run drafts over the next three years. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

They already restructured Jeffery, and Malik Jackson both who likely will be cut. The messed up part is restructuring just moves the dead money down the line. It’s clear the Eagles will be in a dire cap situation for multiple years to come. Howie needs some home run drafts over the next three years. 

image.gif.7465d736bed61029f0b338792b8882b5.gif

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

They can also save money by signing him to an extension and lowering his cap hit. 

this isn’t the big scare everyone thinks it is. The can will continue to get kicked down the road and we will end up with 20 million dollars in space. Sign some mid level FAs and draft will cost around 5-7 million. We’re fine. 

Come on now, being 10-20million over is no big deal, being >30% of the cap figure over is a big old deal, you can't kick a can that big down the road and you can't get out of it by just cutting dead wood.

At this point Lurie should fire Howie if he proposes restructuring more than a couple of absolute tent pole 'we'll be disqualified for tanking if we don't keep these guys' players, if we're rebuilding then it's time to clean out the stables.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 2:00 PM, Road to Victory said:

Maybe we can get 8 games out of him. 

That's a huge maybe though. 

On 1/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, MillerTime said:

It certainly doesn’t seem like the Eagles will be able to improve the talent around him without drafting some gems. Good luck Howie....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

It certainly doesn’t seem like the Eagles will be able to improve the talent around him without drafting some gems. Good luck Howie....

Unfortunately Howie tends to be better in FA than he is in the draft. Given the cap situation we are not going to be very active at all in FA which is a bit of a concern. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unfortunately Howie tends to be better in FA than he is in the draft. Given the cap situation we are not going to be very active at all in FA which is a bit of a concern. 

You and I both know the Eagles have dipped too many times in that FA pool. What I don’t want to see right now is their first three picks as some guy they’re grooming again. At least two of them better be starters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

You and I both know the Eagles have dipped too many times in that FA pool. What I don’t want to see right now is their first three picks as some guy they’re grooming again. At least two of them better be starters.

Oh I agree with you, we need to build through the draft. Trouble is Howie is not good at drafting players so it's a double whammy this year. 

Hard pass on Ertz and Derek Barnett.  I would also deal Goedert for draft picks. Its amazing how many talented TEs there are in the NFL.  

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

They may have to be.  WIth the number of vets expected to be cut (to clear cap space), we may not have a choice than to start them!  

• Like 2