Salary Cap Discussion: 2021 and beyond

time2rock

Look bottom line they are still in a cap hole in 2021 but they were going to be whether they kept Wentz or not. Moving on from Wentz allows them to move on from that contract by 2022 and that really is the key to this. And although they are in a cap hole this year they will get out of it. We know that Jeffrey and M.Jackson will be gone, we know that Ertz will be traded or cut. We suspect that D.Jackson will be moved on too and then I am sure Howie will get busy restructuring deals. Don't be surprised if BG gets a restructured deal that adds on dummy years. We may well trade or cut other guys because bottom line this team needs a major rebuild.

• Like 1

After Carson Wentz – traded pre June 1 costs the team 33.8 in dead cap for 2021....We are still close to 47-53 mil over the cap, but Our 2021 situation is manageable.. 

Restructure (28.5 Mil 2021 Cap Savings)Fletcher Cox 11.2 mil , Lane Johnson  6.9 mil , Brandon Brooks 7.07 Mil, Jason Kelce 3.32 Mil 

Cut without Dead Money (2021 Cap Savings):  Marquise Goodwin 4.28 Mil 

Cut post June 1, or Trade: (Unhappy /Unhealthy/Unsatisfied/etc..)

Zach Ertz  - Trade 4.2 Mil Dead Money and 8.25 Mil Cap savings

DeSean Jackson – Cut 1.9mil Dead Money and 8.725 Mil Cap Savings

Alshon Jeffrey- Cut 5.6mil Dead and 2.25 Mil Savings. Tough one to cut or trade. Need to explore options.

Malik Jackson – Cut him 3.6 Mil Dead and 2Mil Savings post June 1

Total = 54Mil 2021 Cap Savings and 15.3 Mil in Dead 2021 Money 

Optional:

Derek Barnett -  Do we keep him? If we cut him its 10.05 Mil Savings and No dead $ (Does he fit a new scheme?)

Darius Slay – Restructures contract 7.6 mil savings for 2021 OR!! We trade him?? If we trade Slay post June 1,  3.25Mil Dead Money and 12.5 mil Cap Savings ???

J.Hargrave - post June 1 Trade,  2.45 Dead Money and 12.75 mil Cap Savings if does not fit new scheme.

Brandon Graham – Could be restructured for 8.95 Mil 2021 Cap Savings if more cap room is necessary.

Looking forward to 2022 fiscal year !!!! :-))))

Restructure (28.5 Mil 2021 Cap Savings)Fletcher Cox 11.2 mil , Lane Johnson  6.9 mil , Brandon Brooks 7.07 Mil, Jason Kelce 3.32 Mi

I wonder how do they know a restructure can create these saving. Also there is a chance Kelce retires. I also wonder if some of these guys can’t be restructured to incur less of a cap hit now to lower the cap and make them assets to be traded to acquire more picks? 

This is a pretty solid piece outlining the likely moves that will need to be made in order to get under the cap.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-cap-room-2021-eagles-howie-roseman-alshon-jeffery-malik-jackson-zach-ertz

Basically we are about $49M over the projected $180M 2021 cap floor (that could change between now and the start of the new league year).  

Already mentioned having restructured Jeffery and (Malik) Jackson's contracts, lowering each of their base salaries to $2M to get instant cap relief (in Jeffery's case from $12.75M which lowered his 2021 cap hit from $18.4M to $7.6M and in Jackson's case from $9M which lowered his cap hit from $13.6M to $5.6M).  Those 2 moves alone yield $18.8M in instant cap relief (they'll get additional cap relief after June 1 by using their two post-June 1 designations).  

Other expected moves to get under the cap summarized in this piece:

1) Cut or extend Barnett (to eliminate or lower his $10M 2021 cap hit)

2) Cut DJax (yields $4.9M in cap savings)

3) Cut Goodwin (yields $4.23M in cap relief)

4) Trade/cut Ertz ($4.7M in cap relief)

They also include the possibility of extending Cox and Kelce retiring (and trading Slay which I think would be smart ... by the time we are competitive again he'll be spent).

NOTE: regarding Goodwin, I'm sure some are going to point out that his contract was restructured, but when he decided to opt out, his original contract is the one that tolled.  

• Thanks 1

There will be alot of moving parts this offseason thats for sure.  Some of the guys you mentioned will restructure and there will be cuts.  Only problem with structuring the player has to agree.  Will any of them flat out say no?  What then?

22 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

Wentz's cap hit to the Eagles disappears in 2022.

I found the following article which should answer your question: https://www.radio.com/94wip/sports/eagles/eagles-cap-space-draft-picks-after-trading-carson-wentz

Next years cap according to this would be around 71 million and that is without any other moves.  Maybe we only have to sit through one more bad season and they can rebound in 2022.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Restructure (28.5 Mil 2021 Cap Savings)Fletcher Cox 11.2 mil , Lane Johnson  6.9 mil , Brandon Brooks 7.07 Mil, Jason Kelce 3.32 Mi

I wonder how do they know a restructure can create these saving. Also there is a chance Kelce retires. I also wonder if some of these guys can’t be restructured to incur less of a cap hit now to lower the cap and make them assets to be traded to acquire more picks? 

See Options Section. Restructuring does not cost players anything. It is kicking the can down the road...a way for the team to get under the cap. If Kelce wants to retire...so be it...we restructure Brandon Graham or make some other move and we are right under the cap. All I am saying is that we are in a bad Dead Money situation for 2021 and we have to get under the cap, and we have many ways to do it. In 2022 We are golden and back in business...There is just one dark cloud in the Sky...Howie is in charge. Hopefully he will not screw it up.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

This is a pretty solid piece outlining the likely moves that will need to be made in order to get under the cap.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-cap-room-2021-eagles-howie-roseman-alshon-jeffery-malik-jackson-zach-ertz

Basically we are about $49M over the projected $180M 2021 cap floor (that could change between now and the start of the new league year).  

Already mentioned having restructured Jeffery and (Malik) Jackson's contracts, lowering each of their base salaries to $2M to get instant cap relief (in Jeffery's case from $12.75M which lowered his 2021 cap hit from $18.4M to $7.6M and in Jackson's case from $9M which lowered his cap hit from $13.6M to $5.6M).  Those 2 moves alone yield $18.8M in instant cap relief (they'll get additional cap relief after June 1 by using their two post-June 1 designations).  

Other expected moves to get under the cap summarized in this piece:

1) Cut or extend Barnett (to eliminate or lower his $10M 2021 cap hit)

2) Cut DJax (yields $4.9M in cap savings)

3) Cut Goodwin (yields $4.23M in cap relief)

4) Trade/cut Ertz ($4.7M in cap relief)

They also include the possibility of extending Cox and Kelce retiring (and trading Slay which I think would be smart ... by the time we are competitive again he'll be spent).

NOTE: regarding Goodwin, I'm sure some are going to point out that his contract was restructured, but when he decided to opt out, his original contract is the one that tolled.  

The issue of additional Dead Money for 2021 is creeping up when you think about getting rid of Malik Jackson, Ertz, DeSean Jackson, and Jeffrey...with Jeffrey being the worst. Also you are very correct on Slay being a wasted talent on this team..It makes total sense to cut him or trade him. We may have to rely solely on the draft picks in 2021 or be choosy and possibly keep Alshon for another year. It will be more clear after the draft..to see where Eagles are heading.

13 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

The issue of additional Dead Money for 2021 is creeping up when you think about getting rid of Malik Jackson, Ertz, DeSean Jackson, and Jeffrey...with Jeffrey being the worst. Also you are very correct on Slay being a wasted talent on this team..It makes total sense to cut him or trade him. We may have to rely solely on the draft picks in 2021 or be choosy and possibly keep Alshon for another year. It will be more clear after the draft..to see where Eagles are heading.

They can't keep Jeffery - when they restructured his deal it now contains a clause that they will pay him $25M for the 2021 season if he is on the roster for the start of the league year.  That gives him the guarantee they will indeed cut him early so he can look for a new team (and not drag it out trying to trade him).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Another move made today to gain cap space.  DJax was released.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-release-desean-jackson-ending-second-philly-stint-as-receiver-posts-farewell-on-instagram/

$4.9M in cap savings 

Any idea of where we are currently at?

13 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Any idea of where we are currently at?

I believe about $43M over.  We were about $49M over ... trading Wentz created $800K in cap space (or will on the first day of the new league year when the transaction can be made official) and cutting DJax freed up $4.9M.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I believe about $43M over.  We were about $49M over ... trading Wentz created $800K in cap space (or will on the first day of the new league year when the transaction can be made official) and cutting DJax freed up $4.9M.

43.189 million in cap room.  Technically, Wentz being traded only saved 20K in cap room.  Once he was traded, Elijah Riley and his 780K cap hit moved into the top 51 formula, so it was a $ 20,000 savings.  

Everyone always forgets that there is 51 players counting towards the formula, and you have to add the next guy on the list when one is removed.

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

43.189 million in cap room.  Technically, Wentz being traded only saved 20K in cap room.  Once he was traded, Elijah Riley and his 780K cap hit moved into the top 51 formula, so it was a $ 20,000 savings.  

Everyone always forgets that there is 51 players counting towards the formula, and you have to add the next guy on the list when one is removed.

Good stuff, thanks bro.  

But that shouldn’t take effect yet though, right?  I mean they have to wait until the start of the new league year for the trade to be official.  

On 2/19/2021 at 6:01 PM, Traveler Vic said:

Slay carries a dead cap number of $21.75mill now or $15.25mill post June 1st (as per Spotrac and Overthecap), he isn't getting cut. Jeffrey's dead cap will put the Eagles at $50million in dead cap, no way a team can go into a season spending over 33% of Cap in dead money.  Barnett and Goodwin will both be cut because they have no dead cap implications

Also good luck asking Lane Johnson to restructure the contract we signed him to a little over a year ago and already restructured September last year to create cap space, that guarantees him a base salary of 9.6million this year, to one that pays him 6.5million.  It's worthy of note that as it stands right now somewhat unbelievably Lane Johnson's dead cap hit is worse than Carson Wentz was.

8 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Also good luck asking Lane Johnson to restructure the contract we signed him to a little over a year ago and already restructured September last year to create cap space, that guarantees him a base salary of 9.6million this year, to one that pays him 6.5million.  It's worthy of note that as it stands right now somewhat unbelievably Lane Johnson's dead cap hit is worse than Carson Wentz was.

Lane the same guy that can't stay on the field and is one PED test failure to never play again?  Top 5 Best RT in the game but I think Howie has some leverage there.

8 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Slay carries a dead cap number of $21.75mill now or $15.25mill post June 1st (as per Spotrac and Overthecap), he isn't getting cut. Jeffrey's dead cap will put the Eagles at $50million in dead cap, no way a team can go into a season spending over 33% of Cap in dead money.  Barnett and Goodwin will both be cut because they have no dead cap implications

Slay will not be cut, but hopefully we can trade him post June 1st. That's 12.5 million in cap relief to only 3.25 Dead Money. We do not need to waist Slay's prime years talent on the team that will be clearly rebuilding. There is no question that 2021 Dead Money will be an issue. Finally Howie instead of giving out lucrative contracts, will have to do some hard choices.

23 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Slay will not be cut, but hopefully we can trade him post June 1st. That's 12.5 million in cap relief to only 3.25 Dead Money. We do not need to waist Slay's prime years talent on the team that will be clearly rebuilding. There is no question that 2021 Dead Money will be an issue. Finally Howie instead of giving out lucrative contracts, will have to do some hard choices.

If I'm not mistaken, we are only allowed to use post June 1 designation on 2 players ... from everything I've read those 2 will be Jeffery and Malik Jackson.  

14 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If I'm not mistaken, we are only allowed to use post June 1 designation on 2 players ... from everything I've read those 2 will be Jeffery and Malik Jackson.  

If that's the case then we are stuck with Slay, because any other moves will be financially prohibitive.  :((

19 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

If that's the case then we are stuck with Slay, because any other moves will be financially prohibitive.  :((

Have always like Slay as a player but man I was so against signing him last year because I knew we weren't going to compete for a championship.  We had an aging roster and the need for as many draft picks possible to retool.  We pissed away 2 picks and put the cap in worse shape than it already was.  And somehow the man that created the mess is still here to try to "fix" it.  

• Like 1

Just now, time2rock said:

Have always like Slay as a player but man I was so against signing him last year because I knew we weren't going to compete for a championship.  We had an aging roster and the need for as many draft picks possible to retool.  We pissed away 2 picks and put the cap in worse shape than it already was.  And somehow the man that created the mess is still here to try to "fix" it.  

Giving up a third and a fifth was just too much. I get that they thought they were contenders but this roster had way too many holes for them to be legit.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Giving up a third and a fifth was just too much. I get that they thought they were contenders but this roster had way too many holes for them to be legit.

And paying him as the highest paid corner was too much too considering our cap situation.  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

And paying him as the highest paid corner was too much too considering our cap situation.  

Especially when you consider they put nobody on the opposite side.

15 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Lane the same guy that can't stay on the field and is one PED test failure to never play again?  Top 5 Best RT in the game but I think Howie has some leverage there.

He has no leverage, you point at Johnson's injuries and they're why he won't be traded on his current contract, his dead cap number this year is $39mill so there is no way on earth he's getting cut, tell me what leverage the Eagles have that will make Johnson say 'yeah OK I'll take less money'?

If you want to understand what a hole we're in cap wise, go to Over the Cap and use the Cap Calculator, that'll tell you the cap implications of cutting, trading or basic restructuring. see what you have to do to make this years cap spend figure not be in red brackets, and as far as I can tell that's with having 2 corners who've played more than a handful of snaps on the books and no punter because every corner bar Maddox and Slay hits free agency, and the whole thing appears to be based on a cap number that's at least 20million dollars North of where it's expected to land.

Good Times.