Salary Cap Discussion: 2021 and beyond

time2rock

I'm hoping they can limit the restructuring because that's part of the reason we're in this mess to begin with. Restructuring essentially pushes more guaranteed money to future years so you have that dead money hit next year or the year after whenever you cut or trade the guy. I realize that some may be necessary though because they're so far over. I think its fine if its a cornerstone guy that isnt up in years but Lane, Brandon Brooks, Cox are all getting up there and injuries and declining performance are a concern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

He has no leverage, you point at Johnson's injuries and they're why he won't be traded on his current contract, his dead cap number this year is $39mill so there is no way on earth he's getting cut, tell me what leverage the Eagles have that will make Johnson say 'yeah OK I'll take less money'?

That's the point, he isn't going to take "less money", there just going to put more in a bonus and push more to the back end of his contract lowering this years salary only.

2 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

That's the point, he isn't going to take "less money", there just going to put more in a bonus and push more to the back end of his contract lowering this years salary only.

But that's exactly the kicking the problem down the road that landed us here, plus again, he only restructured in September last year as it is, at some point Howie has to take his medicine and not keep building up balloon payments.

3 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

But that's exactly the kicking the problem down the road that landed us here, plus again, he only restructured in September last year as it is, at some point Howie has to take his medicine and not keep building up balloon payments.

There really is no other option to be under the cap in 19 days.  He is gonna have to restructure 2 contracts, Cox and Graham seem like the best options.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

There really is no other option to be under the cap in 19 days.  He is gonna have to restructure 2 contracts, Cox and Graham seem like the best options.

I agree to a point, I just don't see Johnson taking kindly to being approached again and his cap number is hella ugly and Lane is not getting any more durable, I just don't see him agreeing to move money back to years he may not play, that's ignoring the question whether doing that is best for the team.

14 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

While I'll agree with you, in this instance it looks like 2022 and 2023 we are 60 plus million under the cap. If we have to push a little out on a contract or 2 now is the time to do it.

4 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

While I'll agree with you, in this instance it looks like 2022 and 2023 we are 60 plus million under the cap. If we have to push a little out on a contract or 2 now is the time to do it.

I disagree. This team needs to get significantly younger and significantly better. The way to do that is clear the decks now whilst they can. It is time to start again. 

40 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I disagree. This team needs to get significantly younger and significantly better. The way to do that is clear the decks now whilst they can. It is time to start again. 

So clear out the entire right side of the line and put who in there? Not a good idea when trying to develop a young quarterback.

10 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

So clear out the entire right side of the line and put who in there? Not a good idea when trying to develop a young quarterback.

I mean I didn't specifically say clear out the entire right side of the draft though...

17 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

By using post June 1 designations on both Jeffery and Malik Jackson (as they are expected to do), $21M of the $31M dead money charges will be pushed into 2022.  So I’d try to limit how much more we push down the road - it may indeed be best to take it on the chin in 2021 as much as possible knowing this year is going to be the start of the rebuild and we simply won’t have much of a chance to be competitive.  

• Like 1

Slay's contract restructured to free up cap space.  The move creates $9.14M in 2021 cap space.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/05/eagles-restructure-darius-slays-contract-to-create-cap-space/

Kicking the can down the road.  Howie being Howie.  But with the cap being in the extreme mess it is, there isn't much choice to do this with some overpaid vets.  Best to do it with those that are durable and still contributing at a relatively high level (regardless of age), like Slay and Graham.  Initially I thought it would have made more sense to trade Slay ... by the time we are competitive again he will be spent - doing so would have resulted in $6M of cap savings ($9.8M in dead money to 2021 cap).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Slay's contract restructured to free up cap space.  The move creates $9.14M in 2021 cap space.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/05/eagles-restructure-darius-slays-contract-to-create-cap-space/

Kicking the can down the road.  Howie being Howie.  But with the cap being in the extreme mess it is, there isn't much choice to do this with some overpaid vets.  Best to do it with those that are durable and still contributing at a relatively high level (regardless of age), like Slay and Graham.  Initially I thought it would have made more sense to trade Slay ... by the time we are competitive again he will be spent - doing so would have resulted in $6M of cap savings ($9.8M in dead money to 2021 cap).  

Yup, another can kicking exercise. Did you notice Slay's updated future cap numbers now?? How about $21.9M for 2022 and $22.9M for 2023. So yet another guy we're stuck with forever that we better hope doesn't decline as he ages (yeah right).

18 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

Yup, another can kicking exercise. Did you notice Slay's updated future cap numbers now?? How about $21.9M for 2022 and $22.9M for 2023. So yet another guy we're stuck with forever that we better hope doesn't decline as he ages (yeah right).

Yeah but they'll have a lot more cap maneuverability in the out years.  Remember, the cap was almost $200 million last year.  This year, it's about $180 million or a little more.  With a return to normalcy the Eagles (and all teams) will pick up $20-25 million in space as the cap naturally returns to previous levels. Add in the $34 million in dead cap related to the Wentz trade and you have a $55 million swing next year and that's before the rest of the heavy lifting they have to do.  Still a long way to go to get there in the next 12 days.

Howie's been rescheduling deals like 24/7 to clear up cap room. I get it that he's moving money to 2022 and beyond. With new TV deals, the cap will go up considerably and we will be in decent shape moving forward.

9 minutes ago, xstonr said:

Howie's been rescheduling deals like 24/7 to clear up cap room. I get it that he's moving money to 2022 and beyond. With new TV deals, the cap will go up considerably and we will be in decent shape moving forward.

We have 12 more days to free up about $34M of cap space (after some recent restructures).  

Cox, Graham, Lane....come on down....you're the next contestants on 'Kick the Can.'

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Blutarski said:

Slay can always move to safety when he loses a step. And they are paying him a lot during a time when their qb will be getting paid nothing.

Cheer Up folks! It is not so bad. The cap will go up next year. This year's disaster will be mitigated. If Only Howie does not screw up this upcoming draft...Things will be OK. Cheers!

7 hours ago, xstonr said:

Yeah.  Just wait until you see the results.

10 hours ago, xstonr said:

For what though? He's clearing cap from to fix a problem that he helped create. He's kicking the can down the road to future years so the cap will hit us in other years too. Instead of making ruthless and tough decisions he's taking the path that he always takes. This doesn't help sort the cap problem it just pushes it down the line. And he's going to just about get under the cap but we won't be able to make any FA moves and this roster is seriously devoid of talent. 

On 3/6/2021 at 3:18 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

For what though? He's clearing cap from to fix a problem that he helped create. He's kicking the can down the road to future years so the cap will hit us in other years too. Instead of making ruthless and tough decisions he's taking the path that he always takes. This doesn't help sort the cap problem it just pushes it down the line. And he's going to just about get under the cap but we won't be able to make any FA moves and this roster is seriously devoid of talent. 

Cutting or trading these players don’t save us money that we need. Unfortunately it’s the only choice. Cutting Lane Johnson costs us another 21M. Trading him cost another 11M. Restructuring him saves us at least 7M. 

On 3/5/2021 at 10:32 PM, Traveler Vic said:

Cheer Up folks! It is not so bad. The cap will go up next year. This year's disaster will be mitigated. If Only Howie does not screw up this upcoming draft...Things will be OK. Cheers!

Yeah the cap and the dearth of young talent are clearly 2-3 year fixes.  The falling cap due to COVID is an extra hurdle.  Right now Howie's just trying to field a team this season.

6 hours ago, MillerTime said:

Cutting or trading these players don’t save us money that we need. Unfortunately it’s the only choice. Cutting Lane Johnson costs us another 21M. Trading him cost another 11M. Restructuring him saves us at least 7M. 

I get that but they've got to be smart with it. Why on earth did they restructure Slay? I just can't get my head around that.

27 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I get that but they've got to be smart with it. Why on earth did they restructure Slay? I just can't get my head around that.

From what I understand it only added 2.3M to 2022 and 3M to 2023. They added dummy years so after 2023 they can get out easily. They are gonna bring rookies at corner over the next few years and he is an asset while they develop.