Salary Cap Discussion: 2021 and beyond

time2rock

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

They may have to be.  WIth the number of vets expected to be cut (to clear cap space), we may not have a choice than to start them!  

Oh absolutely. This roster next year is not going to be pretty and is likely going to be worse than the roster from this past year. 

34 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh absolutely. This roster next year is not going to be pretty and is likely going to be worse than the roster from this past year. 

The positive is we’ll FINALLY be rid of Peters, Jeffery, DJax, and a few other aging vets that don’t offer much anymore and will clear the room for the younger players to get playtime.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

The positive is we’ll FINALLY be rid of Peters, Jeffery, DJax, and a few other aging vets that don’t offer much anymore and will clear the room for the younger players to get playtime.  

That is very very true! I mean those are not losses based on this past year so that is definitely a positive.

• Like 1

Malik Jackson and Alshon Jeffrey are two likely candidates to be cut.  One big name I wonder about is Ertz.  I really like him but Goeddert has talent and can't actually make plays after the catch.  I feel like Ertz either gets cut/traded or they work a deal with a much lower cap hit.

7 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Malik Jackson and Alshon Jeffrey are two likely candidates to be cut.  One big name I wonder about is Ertz.  I really like him but Goeddert has talent and can't actually make plays after the catch.  I feel like Ertz either gets cut/traded or they work a deal with a much lower cap hit.

This new coach loves the 12 personnel. They had a bunch of really good playmaking tight ends in Indianapolis. I would be surprised if Ertz isn't on the roster next season. 

I'd think the owners would make a one year proposal to maintain the cap to get through this period.  Sure, they take a profitability hit, but it pushes everyone through this one off year and shows some good faith to everyone involved.  I'm sure they'd get no fight from the NFLPA.

On 1/4/2021 at 5:09 PM, NOTW said:

knows what it will take to build another winner. 

Howie is such a liar, truth be told he doesn't have a clue.

On 1/25/2021 at 3:23 AM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'd think the owners would make a one year proposal to maintain the cap to get through this period.  Sure, they take a profitability hit, but it pushes everyone through this one off year and shows some good faith to everyone involved.  I'm sure they'd get no fight from the NFLPA.

Yeah it will be smoothed out, in exchange for lower increases the following years

https://www.sportico.com/business/commerce/2020/nfl-smooth-salary-cap-1234609151/

The NFLPA would like to reallocate money from either this year or from future years to ‘smooth the cap’. Brian Murphy (CEO, Athletes First) says the most likely scenario is the two sides decide to borrow money from future seasons to offset the shortfall (remember, the league is expected to see a dramatic rise in broadcast revenues following the ’22 season). It reasons to believe the owners would prefer to finance their losses over several years – years when they’ll be making even more money – than have to absorb them all in 2020. One solution the NFLPA is not interested in is a reduction in their share of overall revenues. The players fully intend on retaining 48% of the dollars coming in regardless of what the cap number ends up being in 2021.

@time2rock you should change the thread title to ask salary cap questions here.  I see stupid posts all over the board that make it quite clear most have no understanding of the salary cap, and then post absurd scenarios because they have no understanding.

Anyone with questions, feel free to @ me with a question.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

@time2rock you should change the thread title to ask salary cap questions here.  I see stupid posts all over the board that make it quite clear most have no understanding of the salary cap, and then post absurd scenarios because they have no understanding.

I was only intending to post updated on moves made to free up cap space in order to get under by March 17th 4:01pm.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

Can you explain the dead money concept in layman's terms?

You're right, a lot of people post trade suggestions or cutting a player and don't understand ideas like the cap hit, dead money and take into consideration the guaranteed money in the contracts.

23 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Can you explain the dead money concept in layman's terms?

You're right, a lot of people post trade suggestions or cutting a player and don't understand ideas like the cap hit, dead money and take into consideration the guaranteed money in the contracts.

Dead money is signing bonus money that has already been paid to the player, but the cap hit is spread out over the life of the contract.

All future signing bonus money accelerates to the year of the transaction ( trade or cut ).  There is other money that can factor in to the dead cap, but at a minimum the signing bonus cap hit accelerates when cutting or trading a player.  Red box on left makes the dead cap hit total on the right.

Carson Wentz cap hit if traded is the prorated signing bonus spread across 2021 - 2024

image.thumb.png.50fba1f30bf3af824903094369bf71f3.png

8 hours ago, downundermike said:

In fairness there’s no stupid post, just stupid people that post. 

• 3 weeks later...

This Wentz trade was Hinkiesque if you ask me - acquiring assets for a salary dump.  And moving on from a talented player to boot.

It's common knowledge that the Birds are taking a huge cap hit this year by trading Wentz.   My question for the capologists out there is, how does the team's cap look in 2022 and thereafter?

It looks really well. This whole "Roseman botched the cap" was a myth.

We will get rid of the Jacksons, Jeffery, Ertz and prolly have enough this year. The cap next year is expected to rise dramatically so we will be more than fine.

As everyone should've known that paid any attention to the cap debates the last decade. It's a problem for media discussion. Never been real.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Procus said:

This Wentz trade was Hinkiesque if you ask me - acquiring assets for a salary dump.  And moving on from a talented player to boot.

It's common knowledge that the Birds are taking a huge cap hit this year by trading Wentz.   My question for the capologists out there is, how does the team's cap look in 2022 and thereafter?

Wentz's cap hit to the Eagles disappears in 2022.

I found the following article which should answer your question: https://www.radio.com/94wip/sports/eagles/eagles-cap-space-draft-picks-after-trading-carson-wentz

• Thanks 3

Heard on the radio the Eagles cap space could potentially be around 80 mil for 2022 depending on what moves they make. Trading Wentz was one of those moves. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Infam said:

As everyone should've known that paid any attention to the cap debates the last decade. It's a problem for media discussion. Never been real.

It's real when free agency rolls around, FA is all about the benjamins. 

It looks godawful for next season but when you decide to rebuild you have to clear the decks, getting rid of Wentz cap hit in one go does that, but yeah we were in a hole next year and now it's a deeper hole, so expect a few more expensive older players to be shipped out to teams that are trying to win now over the coming weeks.

6 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

Wentz's cap hit to the Eagles disappears in 2022.

I found the following article which should answer your question: https://www.radio.com/94wip/sports/eagles/eagles-cap-space-draft-picks-after-trading-carson-wentz

For as much as Howie gets heat by 2022 he bailed the Eagles out of his mistakes and has potentially got them two first round picks. That’s pretty good work I have to admit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

For as much as Howie gets heat by 2022 he bailed the Eagles out of his mistakes and has potentially got them two first round picks. That’s pretty good work I have to admit. 

Roseman's issue has never been trades or even contracts - he's been very solid with both of those things IMO.  His issue has been the draft; the Eagles haven't drafted well enough under his watch.

Right now with Wentz gone it looks like they are around $49M over the cap before any other moves. That number is manageable by shedding players who don't produce much, trading a couple if they can, and restructuring a couple more. The real key is drafting extremely well over the next few consecutive years, and well,...Ugh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

Right now with Wentz gone it looks like they are around $49M over the cap before any other moves. That number is manageable by shedding players who don't produce much, trading a couple if they can, and restructuring a couple more. The real key is drafting extremely well over the next few consecutive years, and well,...Ugh.

Does that $49M over factor in the $21M they’ll carry over from the 2020 league year?

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Does that $49M over factor in the $21M they’ll carry over from the 2020 league year?

Yes it does as far as I can tell. That's my understanding of it.