Eagles players, coaches were shocked by Doug Pederson’s QB switch, resulting in sideline confrontations

Talonblood

This is only an issue because it’s the Eagles, I’m convinced that if it was any other team in the NFL Chris Collins**** would be saying how intelligent the head coach was for evaluating his roster for next season.

There was no guarantee that even with Hurts we would have won that game.

13 hours ago, time2rock said:

Well considering Howie's spotty (at best) history with drafting, wouldn't you want him to have every possible advantage to potentially limit the chances he'll miss on the pick?  I'm sure it goes without saying that the odds of hitting on a player chosen 6th is better than that chosen 9th.  Plus it gives him more ammo to move around if need be.  

That's true, it's just hard to trust him either way.  I like the value of being able to move around/trade down though, because we're way more than one good player away from being a good football team again. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

I didn't care if they won or not, I just found it insulting that the coach would lie about it after the game.  "I coached to win the game"  Yeah, right.  All he had to say was that winning was secondary to try to evaluate what we have in Nate going into the off season.  I mean it looks entirely possible that Sudfeld would be our #2 QB, so we might want to know if he sucks or not.  Well, turns out he does and now we might need at least 2 quarterbacks.

Hurts was 7 for 20 for 72 yards and 1 INT in that game.  The Washingteam shut down his running lanes... so yeah, Hurts sucked in the 3rd quarter.  And he super sucked on that 4th and gaol play that would have gicen the Eagles the lead.   Wide open WR in the end zone... Hurts fluttered to him extremely short.  

There is no ground to stand on and declare that Hurts would have won that game when Sudfeld came in to the game.  The Eagles have been shut down in the 2nd half every week with him at QB.  And couldn't do anything when the defense set them up in the red zone.

I'm sure Hurts disagreed with getting pulled in the NC game for Tua too.

Doug wont say he benched Hurts... but Hurts deserved to be benched.

If Doug had gone into this game saying I want some of our other guys getting some reps so that we can see what we have this would be a non issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, West_Philly said:

If Doug had gone into this game saying I want some of our other guys getting some reps so that we can see what we have this would be a non issue.

I agree that he should've communicated better. But,  I still think people would've complained because the game got moved to prime time and NY/NJ is the #1 media market.  Our game should've never been moved to primetime to begin with.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThinkGreen said:

I agree but that doesn't mean that he didn't want to win the game with Sudfeld at the helm. I realize that's not very convincing with draft picks on the line. 

** Plot twist:
Kelce threw the game on purpose when he aimed his hike at Suds ankles. 

I don't see what the big deal was for changing QB's. You had nothing to play for, its over, the game would have no effect on your record, other than another loss. Jelin Hurts played well, so why risk getting him injured in a game that wont mean anything. The mistake was having Carson Wentz standing on the sidelines in street clothes, that's where the issue was. So if Hurts stayed in the game, and the team still lost, what would it prove?

6 hours ago, West_Philly said:

Well, he did.  They rested a lot of guys who had injuries, they had lots of backups playing and he said he wanted to get Suds playing time.  Even Collinsworth said Doug told them the day before he planned to get Suds playing time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Well, he did.  They rested a lot of guys who had injuries, they had lots of backups playing and he said he wanted to get Suds playing time.  Even Collinsworth said Doug told them the day before he planned to get Suds playing time.

I guess Judge didn’t get the memo.  

• Like 2

On 1/7/2021 at 4:31 PM, NOTW said:

I had not heard this.  Based on all the commentary it seemed the issued stemmed from his post game talk about we were playing to win.  

I just see a clear pattern with Doug. He says and does really dumb, stupid things on a daily basis. He does the same thing with play calling a lot. So let's call a spade a spade: Doug isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer in real life. Doug isn't a very smart person, and is actually lacking some common sense. And I don't want a dumb a** coaching the Philadelphia Eagles. I really think the Eagles won the Super Bowl in SPITE of him. We know who the real coaches were. Lurie keeps him and Howie. I really tried to like Doug, but I am just tired of his dullness of mind. Looks like I am going to have a lot of free Sundays next season. I hope they prove me wrong, but I highly doubt it. Go 76ers and Flyers. 

12 hours ago, West_Philly said:

I had not heard this.  Based on all the commentary it seemed the issued stemmed from his post game talk about we were playing to win.  

Yeah the announcers said Doug told them the day before in prep for the broadcast that he planned to get Suds playing time.  They said they were surprised he did it when he did it (exactly what Kelce said).  They figured if the game was out of hand and it was garbage time.

Kelce said the same, that the team knew Doug planned to get Suds in there, they were just surprised when he did it.  

Any players or coaches outraged by Doug's move in a totally meaningless game should have been outraged in week 13, when the team was 3-8-1,
looking like a hopeless assembly of incompetence. But they shared the blame then, so all they could do is mumble feeble promises to do better.

Now they want to point fingers and **** about being denied the honor of beating one rival so another could get in the playoffs. What a laugh.

Not trying to defend Doug for what he did.  He put Sudfeld in might be driven by his desire to keep his words and stay as the players' coach.  He said he would give Sudfeld some snaps before the game.  He felt obligated to do just that.  If the game was more lopsided, nobody would have said anything.  But the game at that point was still within reach, hence the criticism.

On 1/8/2021 at 10:31 PM, West_Philly said:

I think even if Doug had chosen his words more carefully (not exactly his strong suit) and said something along the lines of, "Look, we always play hoping to win, and were trying to find a balance between being competitive in this game with giving some valuable and respected players some well-deserved play time" that, while it would probably have led to less criticism in the general community, the Giants would still have been sore simply because the loss prevented them from being a playoff team.  Again, it is laughable that a SIX win team feels they deserved to be in the postseason.  Certainly going to make for some very interesting matchups with them going forward.  I'm sure Judge will use that as motivation when getting his team ready to play us for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Again, it is laughable that a SIX win team feels they deserved to be in the postseason

Its laughable that a former Patriots coach wants to spout about integrity.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately I do think, like with almost everything in life these days, there's no balance or middle ground anymore. 

You're either right wing or left wing. You either believe in covid or you think its a hoax. You either think Carson can be elite again or he's a complete mess and will remain a mess. 

To me it's the same here. Look there's no smoke without fire. The media aren't just making these reports up. They may be exaggerating things to really make a big story but I don't believe a lot of the media guys just make up lies and reports. Perhaps some do but not all. 

11 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

There was NO confrontation on the sideline.   It’s Jeff McLane for Christ sakes.  

Kelce already explained the discussion he had with Doug and what it involved. The only other things we saw on the sideline were:

The irony here is that the narrative is to paint Wentz as the "diva" because he's been keeping his mouth shut in public. 

On 1/5/2021 at 8:13 AM, time2rock said:

Doug benches Wentz for Hurts due to poor play ... no biggy.

Doug benches Hurts for Sudfeld (one can argue all day whether it is for poor play or not ... after 3 quarters Hurts was 7-for-20 for 72 yds, 0 TDs (passing), 1 INT chipping in 34 rushing yds, 2 TDs), and people are up in arms.

Personally, I do NOT think he was benched due to poor play.  Considering Wentz was inactive and Sudfeld dressed in what sure to be his final game in an Eagles uniform, I think Doug planned to play him in the 4th quarter all along.  Doug threw him a bone for being a good soldier and teammate for the past 4 years here.  Guessing the rest of the players didn't get the memo (not like they need to be informed of coach's decisions in advance).  

One of the few objective members on the boards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2021 at 2:22 PM, Nivraga said:

One of the few objective members on the boards.

Yeah, no... it was a tank, plain and simple.