Eagles players, coaches were shocked by Doug Pederson’s QB switch, resulting in sideline confrontations

Talonblood

13 hours ago, Talonblood said:

They had to hold back some players from confronting Doug. Coaches were pissed off, too.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/doug-pederson-eagles-tank-jason-kelce-jalen-hurts-nate-sudfeld-joe-judge-20210104.html

This is all Jeff McLane bs.  Nothing to see here folks.  Move on.

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

There are people out there calling for an investigation and calling for the Eagles to lose their draft pick for tanking the game.

unbelievable. 

I haven't seen squat about that, and it ain't gonna happen.

1 hour ago, greend said:

I'm pretty sure he said it in one of his pressers

Even more reason then to question the report of players being held back from confronting Doug.  

Why do people not think that we should consider a QB at the top of the draft? Wentz is not the guy. Jury is still out on Hurts. And Sudfeld is ***. Does anyone feel comfortable going into next season with Hurts or Wentz as the starter?

Now if you want to give Hurts a shot and he sucks, we are back in the top 5 with a chance to get Spencer Rattler. Im in for that. Usually the Eagles rarely finish in the top 5 (or even top 10) so we need to strike while the iron is hot.

• Like 1

the announcer, I believe Al Michaels, said when it happened, that Doug said he was going to play Sudfeld before the game even started. So he made it known and public. Again how is it tanking? 

all the other players wanted to win. So did Sudfeld and Pederson. The low snap from Kelce wasn't planned. The Pick that he threw wasn't planned.

Has anyone considered that in the 4th quarter Washington's defense started to play better? Maybe we lost because of that. Hmmm.

And then you have this ... Sanders going on record saying none of the players were on board with the decision to pull Hurts for Sudfeld and further that they don't know who was behind the decision.  Will this team ever not be a flustercluck??

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/05/eagles-miles-sanders-nobody-liked-the-decision-to-bench-jalen-hurts/

3 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Why do people not think that we should consider a QB at the top of the draft? Wentz is not the guy. Jury is still out on Hurts. And Sudfeld is ***. Does anyone feel comfortable going into next season with Hurts or Wentz as the starter?

Now if you want to give Hurts a shot and he sucks, we are back in the top 5 with a chance to get Spencer Rattler. Im in for that. Usually the Eagles rarely finish in the top 5 (or even top 10) so we need to strike while the iron is hot.

I don't want them to draft a QB. But I do recall Howie saying that when you are up that high and have a chance to draft a QB you pull the trigger because that is the most important position on the team. I think he only does this if he is able to trade Wentz. If he doesn't then look for WR or CB at 6.

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Even more reason then to question the report of players being held back from confronting Doug.  

Yup

1 minute ago, jsdarkstar said:

I don't want them to draft a QB. But I do recall Howie saying that when you are up that high and have a chance to draft a QB you pull the trigger because that is the most important position on the team. I think he only does this if he is able to trade Wentz. If he doesn't then look for WR or CB at 6.

I think Wentz is gone this off-season. Eagles organization knows how it works in Philly. Carson can't come back because the fans will be against him with the rumors coming out. Also can they risk Wentz playing another season and looking like he did this year? No, that would destroy any value he has left. There are too many reasons to get rid of him.

but you do make some good points with Howie's mindset, which makes sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I think Wentz is gone this off-season. Eagles organization knows how it works in Philly. Carson can't come back because the fans will be against him with the rumors coming out.

I would not be so sure about the bolded.  This is a poll from yesterday.

image.png.3ea37f307da5e6957405e2bdda28674a.png

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexreimer/2021/01/04/doug-pederson-playing-nate-sudfeld-was-right-move-for-philadelphia-eagles/?sh=223d983f1e48

There is recent precedent for a woeful NFL team throwing away the last game of its season in extreme fashion. During Week 17 of the 2014 campaign, the two-win Tampa Bay Buccaneers were leading the New Orleans Saints 20-7 at halftime. Then they emptied out their bench, and attempted only three passes in the second half.

Tampa Bay lost 23-20 and secured the No. 1 overall pick. It went on to draft Jameis Winston.

Three years before that, the Indianapolis Colts started the season 0-13, and successfully "Sucked for Luck.” Similarly, fans of the New York Jets wanted their 0-13 team to "Tank for Trevor,” but the Jacksonville Jaguars edged them out.

• Like 1

players wanted to complain about beaching your 2nd string qb (who could potentially become your franchise qb) for a 3rd string qb in a meaningless game for the eagles? 

Did they also go to coaches to complain when they were going 4-10-1?? Give me a break. i'm glad they lost. i don't care if doug was tanking or not. that #6 pick is more important to a team going 4-10-1 than a 5-10-1 team. if players want to complain, complain to yourselves and coaches about being one of the worst teams in the league. They are being paid enough for sure and not producing. Maybe players should have talked to Wentz about turning this season around in the 12 games that he played. Maybe they should have talk to Ertz about not dropping some of those balls. Maybe the O-line should have learned to block better instead of getting Wentz decked 40+ time. 

There is plenty of complain about  than benching a 2nd string qb for a 3rd string qb in the 4th quarter of a meaningless game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I would not be so sure about the bolded.  This is a poll from yesterday.

image.png.3ea37f307da5e6957405e2bdda28674a.png

that's truly shocking coming from WIP Morning Show. Every time I listen to them, they talk about how bad Wentz is. 

11 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Unless they move Wentz and the 6th overall for the Jets 2nd and take Justin Fields, I cant see them taking a QB at 6th even with moving Wentz.

10 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Agreed.  The only way it makes sense to draft a QB at 6 is if they plan to trade Wentz.  Going to be a really interesting next few months!  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Why didn't he just start him, then? Or at worse- Suds starts the second half? No, stupid a** Doug decides the 3rd quarter is good, while the game was still winnable. If the Eagles were getting killed, no big deal. Doug threw the game. This isn't the NBA.... NFL people hate this kind of thing, and it sends the wrong message to all the players involved. It's like Hurts said... "This isn't right." He is right- it was wrong. Doug does the stupidest shi* and needs to go. Howie and Lurie were probably involved, though. It's just a total mess. This org is dying a slow death.

It's done and over with now. The same people will be here next year, making stupid decisions all over the place. Lurie, Howie and Doug. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Because he wanted more tape to evaluate Hurts, and also to see what Sudfeld can (or can’t) do. Not hard to figure out. 

26 minutes ago, time2rock said:

And then you have this ... Sanders going on record saying none of the players were on board with the decision to pull Hurts for Sudfeld and further that they don't know who was behind the decision.  Will this team ever not be a flustercluck??

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/05/eagles-miles-sanders-nobody-liked-the-decision-to-bench-jalen-hurts/

You know what the players should really be upset about? A 4-11-1 record. 

• Like 2

Just now, Eldereagle1 said:

Yup

17 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Unless they move Wentz and the 6th overall for the Jets 2nd and take Justin Fields, I cant see them taking a QB at 6th even with moving Wentz.

There’s still a chance the Jets decide to stick with Darnold and pass on Fields to take Sewell. If that happens, I think we need to try to move up to #3 to get in front of Atlanta. They’ve got to start thinking about Matt Ryan’s replacement. 

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

There are people out there calling for an investigation and calling for the Eagles to lose their draft pick for tanking the game.

unbelievable. 

I looked at the Bios of a few of them - mostly NY (or ex-NY) beat writers so not surprising.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eldereagle1 said:

To be fair to Sanders, maybe their record could have been a bit better if they actually used him. The fact that he only averaged 13 carries per game, while averaging 5.3 YPC is ridiculous. 

Dude had 867 yards on only 164 attempts on the season. Should have easily surpassed 1000 yards if they had ever actually stuck with him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

unbelievable. 

Sal Pal :lol:

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio calls for NFL to investigate Eagles, Doug Pederson for tanking vs. Washington Football Team

• Like 1

The Eagles rested a bunch of starters, Wentz didn't even dress as the backup, they had guys no one ever heard of out there playing like Toth at RT.  Yet, putting in Suds was the thing that made people lose their minds?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nipples said:

There’s still a chance the Jets decide to stick with Darnold and pass on Fields to take Sewell. If that happens, I think we need to try to move up to #3 to get in front of Atlanta. They’ve got to start thinking about Matt Ryan’s replacement. 

That's the rub though - What would it take to move from 6th to 3?  It cost the Jets their 6th overall and 3 second round picks (2 in that years draft and one the following year). Also would Miami want to lose out on a chance to get someone like Chase to pair with Parker for Tua next year?

I think they only path to Fields is through the Jets and that would only be if they are done with Darnold, are not sold on Fields and would take a chance on Wentz. It is a lot of IFs there.

48 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

They wont be able to package Wentz and #6 to the Jets. It would have to be two separate trades. But yes, highly unlikely