Eagles players, coaches were shocked by Doug Pederson’s QB switch, resulting in sideline confrontations

Talonblood

8 hours ago, nipples said:

To be fair to Sanders, maybe their record could have been a bit better if they actually used him. The fact that he only averaged 13 carries per game, while averaging 5.3 YPC is ridiculous. 

Dude had 867 yards on only 164 attempts on the season. Should have easily surpassed 1000 yards if they had ever actually stuck with him. 

Oh, I agree. There's enough blame to spread around from top to bottom. I wasn't specifically targeting Miles (just like most of Doug's gameplans), but rather the general perception that "many players" were upset. Really, the team needs to look at their record and and understand that anything past that glaring point is just noise. It's time to begin day one of the rebuild to get better both organizationally and as players. 

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

when tanking goes wrong

Let me put this into perspective for you. When a player is not dressed, most of their time is going to be used talking to other players on the sideline. So this statement from Miles Sanders is huge.

I am not saying Doug should get fired for this but if he does get canned it is because ownership and the front office were in on it as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, downundermike said:

If any part of this is true, Doug has to go, Howie to.

Since when do we associate Jeff McLane with truth?

Just now, philafan4o8 said:

They wont be able to package Wentz and #6 to the Jets. It would have to be two separate trades. But yes, highly unlikely

Why would it have to be 2 separate trades?

They could do this on day one of the new season. If the Eagles offered Wentz, the 6th and another pick (A second rounder somewhere) for the 2nd overall they could get that done.

Again this is extremely unlikely.

20 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The Eagles rested a bunch of starters, Wentz didn't even dress as the backup, they had guys no one ever heard of out there playing like Toth at RT.  Yet, putting in Suds was the thing that made people lose their minds?

^^^ This ^^^ 

Seriously, move on.  This is all because the NYG were a bunch of whiny little losers that were sad because their 6-10 team didn't back into the playoffs.  Please.  NYG did not deserve to be in the playoffs.  WFT didn't either, but somebody had to get the NFC East's spot.  

2 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Why would it have to be 2 separate trades?

They could do this on day one of the new season. If the Eagles offered Wentz, the 6th and another pick (A second rounder somewhere) for the 2nd overall they could get that done.

Again this is extremely unlikely.

I am not saying two separate trades to the jets, Im saying two separate trades period. Why would the Jets trade for Wentz? If they wanted a QB, they would just draft one at #2 and only want to worry about a rookie contract. I think the Jets are likely looking for a coach that is willing to develop Darnold. If they find that, then they would be willing to trade down for #2. Any other scenario would not make sense.

1 minute ago, philafan4o8 said:

I am not saying two separate trades to the jets, Im saying two separate trades period. Why would the Jets trade for Wentz? If they wanted a QB, they would just draft one at #2 and only want to worry about a rookie contract. I think the Jets are likely looking for a coach that is willing to develop Darnold. If they find that, then they would be willing to trade down for #2. Any other scenario would not make sense.

I agree which is why I said it is unlikely.

The only reason why the Jets would do something like this is if they dont like Fields or dont want to risk another rookie QB, are done with Darnold and feel like they could coach Wentz back to his 2017 form. Having Douglas there that knows Wentz as well would be a deciding factor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I agree which is why I said it is unlikely.

The only reason why the Jets would do something like this is if they dont like Fields or dont want to risk another rookie QB, are done with Darnold and feel like they could coach Wentz back to his 2017 form. Having Douglas there that knows Wentz as well would be a deciding factor.

Ohhhh ok that makes sense. I forgot Douglas was even there. Touche

13 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Yep, plus the Jets are a few years away. If they were to get Wentz, then he would be about 32 years old  by the time they would be relevant.  That's pretty old for a QB for a team that is up and coming. They are better off going young across the board.

52 minutes ago, nipples said:

To be fair to Sanders, maybe their record could have been a bit better if they actually used him. The fact that he only averaged 13 carries per game, while averaging 5.3 YPC is ridiculous. 

Dude had 867 yards on only 164 attempts on the season. Should have easily surpassed 1000 yards if they had ever actually stuck with him. 

THAT right there was the most frustrating thing of the entire season.....the refusal to run when he was easily the best offensive weapon on the team.....I agree, its just ridiculous....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Wentz 4-7-1 and he's a 5 year pro lmao. But keep hugging your 11 jersey

Do the math.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Infam said:

Don't care about the stats in this case. To my eyes Hurts looked clearly better this season.

Looks good.  Wins at a lower percentage.  Nice call.

2 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

so there are rules that fans have to be on board no matter what and labeled them quitters, you are saying fans that are not on board with teams that are tanking or bad like the phillies and sixers they are quitters too? why are you here to tell fans how they should feel if you dont like it they are quitters? you are one that's ignorant and closed minded about anyone's feelings, it's all about you and not anyone else. it's your way or the highway, im telling you i do what i want and when i want and when wentz gets traded, you are one that's going to quit because you are not an eagles fan. you are just a miserable selfish troll.

WTF does any of that mean?

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

when tanking goes wrong

I can't imagine how dumb you have to be to not understand the decision. We weren't trying to win and Doug wanted Sudfeld to get a series before the end of the season. The end. This isn't that difficult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Why do people not think that we should consider a QB at the top of the draft? Wentz is not the guy. Jury is still out on Hurts. And Sudfeld is ***. Does anyone feel comfortable going into next season with Hurts or Wentz as the starter?

Now if you want to give Hurts a shot and he sucks, we are back in the top 5 with a chance to get Spencer Rattler. Im in for that. Usually the Eagles rarely finish in the top 5 (or even top 10) so we need to strike while the iron is hot.

I don't trust Howie to draft a franchise QB in this draft

We also have no WRs for whoever is the starting QB for the next season

2 hours ago, Next_Up said:

He didn't look good in the last game but what's the measuring stick.

Its a difficult one. The truth is, he shouldn't be measured by that game because that game was a complete mess. Having said that, if Wentz put in the same performance we'd probably be killing him for it. 

1 minute ago, Kz! said:

I can't imagine how dumb you have to be to not understand the decision. We weren't trying to win and Doug wanted Sudfeld to get a series before the end of the season. Then end. This isn't that difficult.

I'm assuming you are talking to Miles Sanders. You would have to be a complete idiot to make the assumption from my post (of a Tweet about Miles Sanders) that I don't understand the decision.

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

I don't trust Howie to draft a franchise QB in this draft

We also have no WRs for whoever is the starting QB for the next season

So you don't trust Howie with drafting a QB but you trust him in drafting a WR?

2 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I'm assuming you are talking to Miles Sanders. You would have to be a complete idiot to make the assumption from my post (of a Tweet about Miles Sanders) that I don't understand the decision.

So you don't trust Howie with drafting a QB but you trust him in drafting a WR?

I want Howie fired

4 minutes ago, Kz! said:

I can't imagine how dumb you have to be to not understand the decision. 

I agree.   Every other NFL team that could have helped the Eagles get a higher draft pick by winning also lost.  

If pick #6 helps this team to some historic wins, suddenly everyone in Philly will have amnesia about their pearl clutching regarding this loss.

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

True. So explain to me how it was tanking by replacing Hurts with Sudfeld and all the other players wanted to win did they quit or try to win. I don't understand. I didn't realize one player makes such a difference. After all, I've heard that Football is a team game. One player can't win or lose all by themselves. 

What? A game that close you pull the guy you named to replace your franchise QB with a guy who hasn't thrown a pass in like 3 years? And what you're telling me they were all in on the tank?

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I want Howie fired

Me too but its not going to happen this year so its pointless.

2 hours ago, greend said:

I mean that could be the case and if it is hopefully we find something else. My hope is Doug (since he's still seems to be here) will find a way to get Wentz back to 2017 Wentz.

I think if that's their approach then it could be quite literally the worst decision I've ever seen in football. To run it back with Wentz and Doug? With Howie still making the player decisions. I mean that's beyond stupid in my opinion. Wentz and Doug, they don't work.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What? A game that close you pull the guy you named to replace your franchise QB...

No one at any point named Hurts as the guy who is replacing the franchise QB in 2021.  He got game experience.  He had some flashes.  Knowing they are going to be in bad straits given the cap situation they could just as easily trade him for more picks and keep Carson for two more seasons to see if he recovers or is cheaper to let go as you draft the QB of the future in 2022.

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think if that's their approach then it could be quite literally the worst decision I've ever seen in football. To run it back with Wentz and Doug? With Howie still making the player decisions. I mean that's beyond stupid in my opinion. Wentz and Doug, they don't work.

Well I'll bet you a dollar that's what happens. Unless of course Wentz and Dougie can't repair their relationship. If not then you'll likely see Hurts for a year and then a great draft pick without Howie and Doug

56 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

That's the rub though - What would it take to move from 6th to 3?  It cost the Jets their 6th overall and 3 second round picks (2 in that years draft and one the following year). Also would Miami want to lose out on a chance to get someone like Chase to pair with Parker for Tua next year?

I think they only path to Fields is through the Jets and that would only be if they are done with Darnold, are not sold on Fields and would take a chance on Wentz. It is a lot of IFs there.

It’s also very possible that Miami would be perfectly happy with either Chase or Smith, and would be happy with the extra picks to drop back 3 spots and still almost definitely get one of the two. 

Anyway all we can do is speculate, but man I would love to see Fields wearing midnight green. I’m one that still thinks Hurts can be a pretty good NFL QB, but I think Fields is going to be special. 

• Like 1