Eagles players, coaches were shocked by Doug Pederson’s QB switch, resulting in sideline confrontations

Talonblood

1 hour ago, ThinkGreen said:

Funny how suddenly everybody wanted the Eagles to win when all was lost already. 

I didn't care if they won or not, I just found it insulting that the coach would lie about it after the game.  "I coached to win the game"  Yeah, right.  All he had to say was that winning was secondary to try to evaluate what we have in Nate going into the off season.  I mean it looks entirely possible that Sudfeld would be our #2 QB, so we might want to know if he sucks or not.  Well, turns out he does and now we might need at least 2 quarterbacks.

4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

So, Doug's keeping his job, Howie's keeping his job, Dorsey is an advisor whose advice will be ignored, the team is way over the cap, the team has no star quality franchise QB, and the QB factory is closed due to a lack of production.

Great start to the offseason!

You forgot. Dorsey is now Howie’s human shield to take the blame when bad draft picks are made, ensuring he gets to keep his job for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Does #6 vs #9 matter if Howie is making the pick?

Well considering Howie's spotty (at best) history with drafting, wouldn't you want him to have every possible advantage to potentially limit the chances he'll miss on the pick?  I'm sure it goes without saying that the odds of hitting on a player chosen 6th is better than that chosen 9th.  Plus it gives him more ammo to move around if need be.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShutDownDB said:

This is how you put out the fire instead of adding to it like Sanders.

Totally agree. I don't respect what Sanders said at all.

Could you imagine if a player was whining publicly that the Eagles took Reagor over Jefferson? Or say if someone on the defense whined publicly that Boston Scott took some reps he thought Sanders should take? Fans can have these opinions, but players should keep them to themselves for the most part.

• Like 3

I don’t believe Kelce. I think he’s covering for the defensive players who clearly were setting up tables and chairs to suplex Doug Pederson through. I heard from a friend who knows a guy who’s married to the girl who’s best friend is dating a stadium worker who said they even went to find a few ladders. 

So I know it’s true. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I don’t believe Kelce. I think he’s covering for the defensive players who clearly were setting up tables and chairs to suplex Doug Pederson through. I heard from a friend who knows a guy who’s married to the girl who’s best friend is dating a stadium worker who said they even went to find a few ladders. 

So I know it’s true. 

Would one of those people happen to be Jeff McLane? 😀

Waiting for the NY-centric media to run the Kelce statement, like they ran stories about the Eagles team supposedly being confused about the gameplan for a meaningless game.  :whistle:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RastaPasta said:

Totally agree. I don't respect what Sanders said at all.

Could you imagine if a player was whining publicly that the Eagles took Reagor over Jefferson? Or say if someone on the defense whined publicly that Boston Scott took some reps he thought Sanders should take? Fans can have these opinions, but players should keep them to themselves for the most part.

Same here.  I was shocked to see him go on record with those statements.  And further agree, that kind of stuff should be handled internally ONLY.  Disappointed in him.

(side note:  KNEW we should have taken Henderson!!  :lol:)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

So, Doug's keeping his job, Howie's keeping his job, Dorsey is an advisor whose advice will be ignored, the team is way over the cap, the team has no star quality franchise QB, and the QB factory is closed due to a lack of production.

Great start to the offseason!

You forgot:

• The league hates Doug for tanking and some want him investigated
  • We still don't know if Doug has control over coaching decisions or if he's being told what to do
  • They have old injury prone players stuck in contracts
  • They have an injury curse for 4 years and hiring new staff over medical and conditioning last year didn't help
  • Their All-Pro center is on the verge of retiring and pissed that the team tanked
  • They have to hire a new DC:  the same guys who thought up the Offensive Coordinator by Committee with all these consultants

And of course:

• They have to rebuild through the draft and the man to do that is Howie Roseman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yeah that’s pretty much it. At least we’ll have a new DC. Which is nice. Lol. 

hired by the same think tank that hired 14 offensive coordinators and consultants!

1 hour ago, ShutDownDB said:

There's "potentially" a bit of a locker room issue with Wentz vs Hurts.  Sanders lit up like a Christmas tree talking about Hurts a few weeks ago and made it sound like he's more excited about the offense with him.  Ertz defended Wentz as THE FRANCHISE in his last PC.  You have some younger players that probably identify with Hurts more and older guys that have worked with Carson all these years.

Regardless, players need to be loyal to their team and if they have issues, deal with them internally and not talk about this stuff in the media.  

14 minutes ago, NOTW said:

hired by the same think tank that hired 14 offensive coordinators and consultants!

Yup. A promotion from within won’t shock anyone I don’t believe. 

23 minutes ago, NOTW said:

There's "potentially" a bit of a locker room issue with Wentz vs Hurts.  Sanders lit up like a Christmas tree talking about Hurts a few weeks ago and made it sound like he's more excited about the offense with him.  Ertz defended Wentz as THE FRANCHISE in his last PC.  You have some younger players that probably identify with Hurts more and older guys that have worked with Carson all these years.

Regardless, players need to be loyal to their team and if they have issues, deal with them internally and not talk about this stuff in the media.  

I've honestly felt like they've had guys picking sides since the SB win. They say all the right things to the media but on the field it sure looks like they step it up a notch when Wentz isn't playing.

2 hours ago, ShutDownDB said:

Kelce is one of the best Eagles ever and this is exactly why.  He understands winning and the concept of team. Sudfeld has been getting crapped on, treated like he was just some guy the Eagles called in from the stands to play QB.  Yeah, Nate was terrible. But, the move was based on Nate being capable as one of the 53.  Miles has to learn this. Some of the vets need to talk to him. Truth is Miles might not see his second contract here just by nature of how the RB position is viewed in terms of not giving big money to it. And, if he keeps doing things like going public and saying that "nobody liked it" (how can he speak for 52 other players?), then the team might move on from him sooner vs. later.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I'm surprised Lurie hasn't created a Reality TV series around the consultants.  Maybe instead of Hard Knocks, this will be the new angle.

To start off, I will say that I disagree with any teams, in any professional sport, that purposely tank to improve their draft position. I think it’s unfair to the fans - especially the ones that paid money to get tickets to go see a game. Obviously, this is a COVID season is different, but it’s happened before COVID in the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc... why do you think we see a draft lottery now ? Everyone says that the ultimate goal is winning a super bowl and while that’s true to a great extent, I think overall bigger goal is to watch a game on Sunday between two teams that are playing hard and competing and even if the playoffs are not an option, that you’d like to see the team win.. especially against a division rival. But it’s hard to prove and it would be hard to enforce. Especially with draft position at stake. 

However, there was really no way to play this game and get the outcome everyone wanted... if we play backups and lose, then everyone claims it’s a disgrace and it’s insulting to the game and the league because claim we want a better draft position... yet all I hear is about how "the NFL is a business”... and you have to "think with your head and not your heart” when it comes to salary cap, draft, letting go of fan favorite players because they’re "getting too old”.., "they don’t have many years left”... "we need to get younger at that position ", etc.. 

and if we play hard and win, then all we really do is get a later draft pick... we still aren’t in the playoffs, and Not one eagles fan is going to feel any better about the team being 5-10-1 vs 4-11-1... and if we did win, when the 6th overall pick came up in April of this year, every single one of them would be pissed off about who got taken with the 6th pick and in the next few picks/players selected that passed by until we picked. 

I would also like to make another observation... So many Reporters, Analysts, commentators, pundits, and fans on TV, online, social media, and radio are claiming that they’re disgusted and appalled by us "throwing the game”... how many of them, just a few weeks ago, were absolutely roasting the Jets for playing tough- winning a game, and losing the #1 overall pick? They had a hell of a time mocking them for NOT throwing the season... So, what’s changed now? How is is this any different?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mr-Bueno said:

I would also like to make another observation... So many Reporters, Analysts, commentators, pundits, and fans on TV, online, social media, and radio are claiming that they’re disgusted and appalled by us "throwing the game”... how many of them, just a few weeks ago, were absolutely roasting the Jets for playing tough- winning a game, and losing the #1 overall pick? They had a hell of a time mocking them for NOT throwing the season... So, what’s changed now? How is is this any different?

And also the Denver/Saints game in which Denver didn't have any QBs due to Covid, so they let a WR with a non-NFL arm play QB and only complete 1 pass.  Where was the outcry about Denver not signing a QB off another team's practice squad to at least give them a chance to complete at least a few passes downfield?  That was basically a forfeited game and there was no fuss about it.

Teams eliminated from the playoffs in a "meaningless" game will often rest injured starters and insert younger/backup players to give them playing time.  The Eagles had all sorts of starters resting for the game.  If the game had no playoff implications for the WFT or Giants then there would not be complaining about resting starters or getting backups playing time.  

So why does it then matter when some other team's fate is affected?  And, it wasn't just the Giants affected, it was the other division rival they were playing:  Washington.  They didn't sabotage one division rival to let another division rival win the division that's dumb.  They did what they wanted for their team.  Higher draft position and give backups playing time.  

• Like 1

Just now, NOTW said:

Teams eliminated from the playoffs in a "meaningless" game will often rest injured starters and insert younger/backup players to give them playing time.  The Eagles had all sorts of starters resting for the game.  If the game had no playoff implications for the WFT or Giants then there would not be complaining about resting starters or getting backups playing time.  

So why does it then matter when some other team's fate is affected?  And, it wasn't just the Giants affected, it was the other division rival they were playing:  Washington.  They didn't sabotage one division rival to let another division rival win the division that's dumb.  They did what they wanted for their team.  Higher draft position and give backups playing time.  

If we affected a small market team like Carolina, nobody would've cared.

56 minutes ago, NOTW said:

In a meaningless game, there should be absolutely no problem with deciding to rest some starters that have been dealing with nagging injuries.  Why risk aggravating those injuries and potentially jeopardizing availability for the upcoming offseason?  Butthurt Giants and their fans thinking we owe them, or that they deserved to make the playoffs with only 6 wins ... it's laughable.  Want to get into the playoffs??  Do more to win more than 6 games to put yourself in better position.  

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, NOTW said:

Many of them are actually very unprofessional.  I get that they have to ask the tough questions, that's their job.  But many of them get emotional and act like an upset fan.  It's like taking a handful of fans from the EMB and giving them a job to ask questions in the press conference and then write articles with their spin.

One reporter asked Doug "Why is Alshon even on the team?"  It was incredibly rude and unprofessional, especially to a coach that will always be looking out for the players.  You could ask what do you see is Alshon's role on this team now that he's back from injury or something.

Philly media is always looking for the negative.  Media and fans jump all over every negative report and believe it even when it's just unnamed "sources."  But any positive response or evidence even when players and coaches deny it, they don't believe that.

I missed this but honestly I had no problem with the question. It was blunt and needed to be asked

9 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

I didn't care if they won or not, I just found it insulting that the coach would lie about it after the game.  "I coached to win the game"  Yeah, right.  All he had to say was that winning was secondary to try to evaluate what we have in Nate going into the off season.  I mean it looks entirely possible that Sudfeld would be our #2 QB, so we might want to know if he sucks or not.  Well, turns out he does and now we might need at least 2 quarterbacks.

I agree but that doesn't mean that he didn't want to win the game with Sudfeld at the helm. I realize that's not very convincing with draft picks on the line. 

12 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

Insulting?  More just typical Doug not really knowing how to answer questions in the most intelligent manner.  

Regarding Sudfeld, considering he is a UFA after this season I think it is more likely Doug was just throwing him a bone by giving him some play time to say thanks for being a good teammate the past 4 years here (perhaps he even did so a bit out of guilt if he may have insinuated he'd be in the running for the #2 spot at some point but never really gave him that spot ... Foles, McCown, Hurts).  He could have been hoping Sudfeld would have a decent showing for the rest of the league to see to potentially land a #2 spot elsewhere (highly doubt he'd get a starting gig).