Should we trade back in the draft? Or should we stay put?

Traveler Vic

Stay Put? Or Trade down?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should we:

• Trade Down
    • Stay Put

Having a valuable high pick, Eagles will face a phylosophical decision of whether  to draft for immediate impact, or to Rebuild the team. Odds are we will stay put and pick either a CB, WR, or  a best available player. However I am in the camp, arguing that we have many positions that need upgrading and it would be more prudent to trade back and obtain multiple picks. I would rather have a combination of 3 second round picks than a single high draft pick. For example a second round CB, S , and a Tackle...may be a lot better for rebuilding the team than just a single player. Of course it is all argumentative, but I wish to know what everyone thinks. (Of course I know that Howie is still here)

• Like 1

Too early to decide. Depends on how the board falls & what kind of trade proposals they could get. If future 1sts and/or 2nds are on the table, it’d be really hard to say no. 

• Like 5

If we can move back to around 8 or 9 because someone needs a QB, we can still get a starting CB. If we want a starting interior OL in the first round, we can trade back a lot further. We need to get a starting CB, safety, center or guard and maybe a LB out of this draft plus a decent RB (why did we not take Benny Snell in the 4th last year?) so we need an extra draft pick or two in the first three rounds. We may get one for Ertz, or just a comp pick the following year, but trading down could an extra early pick. 

If we can move back to around 8 or 9 because someone needs a QB, we can still get a starting CB. If we want a starting interior OL in the first round, we can trade back a lot further. We need to get a starting CB, safety, center or guard and maybe a LB out of this draft plus a decent RB (why did we not take Benny Snell in the 4th last year?) so we need an extra draft pick or two in the first three rounds. We may get one for Ertz, or just a comp pick the following year, but trading down could an extra early pick. 

Of course, if we had traded Ertz last offseason as I was pushing for, we’d have have plenty of firepower and we would have lost nothing this season. 

• Like 1

Not going to give a blanket answer. Who is available at 6, and what do we get trading down how far?

All depends in my book.

• Like 1

What does it matter? This team can't draft.  Howie will try to outsmart everyone by Skipping on Chase and picking up a 3rd rd talent. Then we will be told how the whole division was after said pick so they had to make the move just  like every other year.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, eggs said:

But.. arguably we need a QB lol

They may actually see an opportunity to trade up.

I'm not saying they will or that they should but they may do. If they don't think Wentz is the answer long term then they might see this as the time to move up.

Trade down.  Everyone who seems to be against trading down may not understand the nuances involved with having the #6 overall.  It's quite different than having a standard 1st round pick later on in the draft.

For example, the Eagles could work multiple trades and get a plethora of quality picks in return.  They could trade down 2 spots at a time and gain 2nd round picks each time.  That's how valuable that 6th overall pick is. 

So if they were to do something like that, they could conceivably have an additional 3-4 2nd round picks + a few mid round picks just by trading down 1-3 spots at a time, down to 12-13.  AND still draft a sure-fire stud with the 12th pick.

• Like 3

TATE: They have to lose to get the 6th pick!

ALSO TATE: Trade the 6th pick to move back!

Trading back would be stupid. You don’t get a pick this high very often, unless you’re a garbage franchise like the Jets. In particular when you have a **** GM like Howie, you need him picking as high as possible to reduce the bust potential of his pick. 

• Like 3

Why does everyone think that another team will even want to move up to our spot? And is willing to give up the price to get there? It takes two to tango

Don't matter with Howie making the picks but to answer the question you need to see how the first 5 picks play out, whose there to be had, what kind of trade offers are on the table.

Last time we had a pick close to this high we made several trades to nab Wentz.

I could see us doing something similar, except trading back to acquire a lot more 2nd-3rd rounders.

One blue chip player in the first is not anywhere near to solving all this team's issues.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Too early to decide. Depends on how the board falls & what kind of trade proposals they could get. If future 1sts and/or 2nds are on the table, it’d be really hard to say no. 

Exactly this. Ideally we can trade back and still nab a top prospect because we arent going qb.