Should we trade back in the draft? Or should we stay put?

Traveler Vic

Stay Put? Or Trade down?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should we:

• Trade Down
    • Stay Put

I'd like to see Wilson or Fields somehow still on the board at our pick and be able to move down into the 10-15 range and pick up another 2nd+.  Grab a Farley or Surtain and then use the second round for a WR and OL.

The higher the pick, the more likely they don't screw it up.  I understand trading back to get extra picks on a team that needs young talent badly, but they are desperate for an immediate impact player and they have to nail that pick.  If it were just a few spots back and they got some good picks in return that normally is fine.  As with anything, it's all about if the guys they take are successful.

I would rather see them get extra picks by trading a couple players and getting comp picks.

• Like 2

Wherever they pick, I just hope they grab the best player available who fits a real need.
Preferably someone from a tough conference and a winning team.
Which means Alabama or Ohio State, period, for the first and second round.

The obvious temptation is WR but I don't think it's our biggest need this year.
And even Smith or Chase could be a bust here if we don't have a reliable
QB throwing to them. Which we don't know if we have.

If by some miracle Mac Jones or Justin Field is still on the board at six
I think we'd be nuts not to grab one for the "QB factory." If Hurts or Wentz
works out, we could trade a QB for high picks next year when the draft
won't be as QB rich. And if Wentz and Hurts both crap out this year,
we'd have a great one to replace them.

Otherwise I'm leaning towards Patrick Surtain.
A shutdown corner to solidify our secondary.

2 hours ago, Madriver said:

Last time we had a pick close to this high we made several trades to nab Wentz.

I could see us doing something similar, except trading back to acquire a lot more 2nd-3rd rounders.

One blue chip player in the first is not anywhere near to solving all this team's issues.

One blue chip player in the first is better than trading back and getting zero good players. Unless Howie is picking in near "can’t miss” territory, he’s useless. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The higher the pick, the more likely they don't screw it up.  I understand trading back to get extra picks on a team that needs young talent badly, but they are desperate for an immediate impact player and they have to nail that pick.  If it were just a few spots back and they got some good picks in return that normally is fine.  As with anything, it's all about if the guys they take are successful.

I would rather see them get extra picks by trading a couple players and getting comp picks.

Thank you! Everyone likes to trash Howie for bad picks (rightfully so), so why would you not want to give him the best possible shot at not screwing it up? They will need to shed salary to get under the cap, which means there are vet trades coming to net some extra mid round picks. 

2 hours ago, Madriver said:

Last time we had a pick close to this high we made several trades to nab Wentz.

I could see us doing something similar, except trading back to acquire a lot more 2nd-3rd rounders.

One blue chip player in the first is not anywhere near to solving all this team's issues.

:roll:

You think Howie Roseman is capable of solving all the team's issues? 

He's had years to "solve the team's issues" and has been terrible at drafting. 

If Sewell falls to 4, I'd be tempted to trade up and grab him.  Would that blow everyone's mind?  CB needs help, but our line was a debacle last year.  The whole offense would improve with Sewell in there at LT.  We'd have a GOOD problem trying to figure out how to get the best 5 lineman on the field.  

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Get the best player you can at 6. I don’t want to see Howie try to outsmart everyone. 

He will. Its every year this team skips the obvious best and  every time it has burned us.  If Howie would listen to TATE during the draft we would have a playoff caliber team at this point. As sad as that is. 

33 minutes ago, Swimm said:

He will. Its every year this team skips the obvious best and  every time it has burned us.  If Howie would listen to TATE during the draft we would have a playoff caliber team at this point. As sad as that is. 

From the sounds of things if Howie just listened to the sound football people the Eagles are paying he would have some sound football players. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

:roll:

You think Howie Roseman is capable of solving all the team's issues? 

He's had years to "solve the team's issues" and has been terrible at drafting. 

I would normally reply that DP wouldn't know how to use said blue chipper so why not give him more instead of fewer pieces to play with...but that is a moot point after today.

WE have more needs than picks and no money for free agents - trade down and get some picks. 

WE have more needs than picks and no money for free agents - trade down and get some picks. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madriver said:

I would normally reply that DP wouldn't know how to use said blue chipper so why not give him more instead of fewer pieces to play with...but that is a moot point after today.

Okay other than maybe Carson who are the blue chip players Howie has drafted since his return?

6 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

True.  But I would rather get a pick at 6 only because Howie has a lesser chance to screw up at 6.  if you get multiple lower picks, Howie will draft all the wrong players.

1 hour ago, manz2821 said:

True.  But I would rather get a pick at 6 only because Howie has a lesser chance to screw up at 6.  if you get multiple lower picks, Howie will draft all the wrong players.

Howie didn't screw up on Goedert, Sanders, or Hurts. No way to evaluate Reagor yet. I personally, don't think the "problem" is who is being drafted, I think the problem is how they are being coached, developed, and utilized.

Too many consensus good picks haven't panned out with this coaching staff i.e. Dilllard, Jones, and Reagor. 

Stay.  You have the chance at a blue chip player at 6.

Plus the further we go down in the draft the less I trust Howie.  

• Like 2

With Howie the demonic Imp running the show, whatever they choose will be wrong. That's all I'm confident in.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

The chase for Chase!

Hey, it worked for the Phils.

If ever there was a, "go by the tape" year. 2020 was it. And it isn't over. The Eagles already have eval., scouting, drafting deficiencies. Lurie was glossing over that issue today in his Press Conference. Without the Combine it will be imperative the Eagle Scouting, Player Development, Draft Teams, Coach/OC/DC need to look at trading down, No lower than no.9 though. If they can get an additional pick in the top 100 it would help a lot. They are going to have to rely more on game tape. Then, later on they may be able to do 1 on 1's. A lot is unknown due to COVID. Howie is one of the problems. So the scouting department is a reflection of that also.

Whatever they do there’s a good chance it’ll be wrong.  And even if it isn’t there is a 99.9% chance that most fans wont like it and will bicker in here for months

18 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Whatever they do there’s a good chance it’ll be wrong.  And even if it isn’t there is a 99.9% chance that most fans wont like it and will bicker in here for months

Wrong. The correct number is 100%. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Wrong. The correct number is 100%. 

The .1% leaves room for the slightest chance that another team gives us some insane trade deal.  Like a 1st for sam bradford like trade deal.  Then we will all say howie is a genuis and round and round we go 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Okay other than maybe Carson who are the blue chip players Howie has drafted since his return?

And how well did the coaching staff handle Wentz outside of 2017?

5 minutes ago, Madriver said:

I tell you this.  Any coach worth a damn isnt going to come here to hitch his wagon to wentz. Which it seems is exactly what lurie wants in my uninformed opinion

Trade 6 to Denver for 9 and 41.

Then trade 9 to SF for 12 and 45.

Now you have 12, 38, 41 and 45. Thats serious ammo to rebuild with a strong young core.  BPA at each pick without repeating positions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madriver said:

For a franchise quarterback Carson sure does need a lot of coddling p. You might want to tell him that, cause he thinks he’s just fine. 

12 minutes ago, What The F said:

Trade 6 to Denver for 9 and 41.

Then trade 9 to SF for 12 and 45.

Now you have 12, 38, 41 and 45. Thats serious ammo to rebuild with a strong young core.  BPA at each pick without repeating positions. 

And Howie screws up every pick. 

• Like 1