Should we trade back in the draft? Or should we stay put?

Traveler Vic

Stay Put? Or Trade down?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should we:

• Trade Down
    • Stay Put

2 hours ago, nipples said:

I’d prefer Chase over Smith. But I’m sure Hurts will get the ball to either one just fine. 

I did too.. Did you see what Smith did in the Championship game? 

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well the reports were 11 wanted to be traded if he wasn’t starting so if he’s here and he’s running coaches out of town I guess he’s starting. 

I'm doing my best to pretend that isn't true.  :meh:

On 1/13/2021 at 5:22 AM, stinkfist said:

Would you rather have Jamarr Chase/Devonte Smith and Asante Samuel Jr. or Patrick Surtain and Chris Olave? 

To me, that's not even up for debate. 

9 hours ago, Outlaw said:

But so does:

6 Ja’marr Chase WR

38 Asante Samuel Jr CB

I’d rather Chase but Smith is a good consolation prize. 

Chase and Samuel Jr should be filed in the topic if the EMB drafted the players.  These would be great picks and address arguably our biggest 2 needs.

But we would be shocked if Howie actually took those 2.    

31 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I'm doing my best to pretend that isn't true.  :meh:

Well I get the feeling if 11 is back he’s under center. 

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

I did too.. Did you see what Smith did in the Championship game? 

Yep. And Chase is still the better all around receiver 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Chase and Samuel Jr should be filed in the topic if the EMB drafted the players.  These would be great picks and address arguably our biggest 2 needs.

But we would be shocked if Howie actually took those 2.    

Well, I've been out of the game for a long time, but I've exercised what we could be looking at plenty of times and if he doesn't go a very similar way ... no, I won't be surprised. What am I thinking? Maybe this is why I got their f'ing picks wrong every year. Think I was right in the 1st round maybe twice in 8 seasons. 

5 hours ago, nipples said:

Yep. And Chase is still the better all around receiver 

I don’t know if he’s "better” per se but he’s definitely more NFL ready and has a less fragile build. 

On 1/10/2021 at 9:13 PM, Traveler Vic said:

Having a valuable high pick, Eagles will face a phylosophical decision of whether  to draft for immediate impact, or to Rebuild the team. Odds are we will stay put and pick either a CB, WR, or  a best available player. However I am in the camp, arguing that we have many positions that need upgrading and it would be more prudent to trade back and obtain multiple picks. I would rather have a combination of 3 second round picks than a single high draft pick. For example a second round CB, S , and a Tackle...may be a lot better for rebuilding the team than just a single player. Of course it is all argumentative, but I wish to know what everyone thinks. (Of course I know that Howie is still here)

Talk about making the point of a post moot with the cold, hard truth.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:13 PM, Traveler Vic said:

Having a valuable high pick, Eagles will face a phylosophical decision of whether  to draft for immediate impact, or to Rebuild the team. Odds are we will stay put and pick either a CB, WR, or  a best available player. However I am in the camp, arguing that we have many positions that need upgrading and it would be more prudent to trade back and obtain multiple picks. I would rather have a combination of 3 second round picks than a single high draft pick. For example a second round CB, S , and a Tackle...may be a lot better for rebuilding the team than just a single player. Of course it is all argumentative, but I wish to know what everyone thinks. (Of course I know that Howie is still here)

Depends- how many picks does Howie want to blow? Does he choose one BIG one, or a bunch more smaller ones? Only Howie's hair dresser knows for sure, and she ain't talkin.

Trading down, with some exceptions are usually for teams who want as many picks as soon as possible. If you're content with building slowly and methodically(which most teams should be) then there is never a need to trade down unless you absolutely don't like anyone on the board at all.

Where has it ever been said that you need to draft as many players and fill as many holes as soon as possible? The goal is to fill them correctly. If it takes 4 years, it takes 4 years.

I'd virtually never trade down and almost always trade up. Go up, get the guys you think are impact guys, and build your team slowly. Everyone's afraid to suck in the NFL or be mediocre for a couple years. Rushed rebuilds are wrong rebuilds.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mjkvol said:

Talk about making the point of a post moot with the cold, hard truth.

Dude I am tired of repeating myself that the situation the Owner, Howie, and Coaching Sucks. Just trying to change the topic of conversation and am talking about something more positive. 🙂

7 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Dude I am tired of repeating myself that the situation the Owner, Howie, and Coaching Sucks. Just trying to change the topic of conversation and am talking about something more positive. 🙂

I hear you.        Problem is that it's akin to talking about putting down new wood flooring in a termite infested house.           Until the core issue is dealt with and eliminated it's kind of silly.

But please carry one with Fantasyland.

16 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Trading down, with some exceptions are usually for teams who want as many picks as soon as possible. If you're content with building slowly and methodically(which most teams should be) then there is never a need to trade down unless you absolutely don't like anyone on the board at all.

Where has it ever been said that you need to draft as many players and fill as many holes as soon as possible? The goal is to fill them correctly. If it takes 4 years, it takes 4 years.

I'd virtually never trade down and almost always trade up. Go up, get the guys you think are impact guys, and build your team slowly. Everyone's afraid to suck in the NFL or be mediocre for a couple years. Rushed rebuilds are wrong rebuilds.

Bingo, if no one really has you excited and you can get a guy you like a few picks later, pull the trigger on a trade. But if a guy you really like is on the board in your spot, dont get cute.

1 hour ago, QBhunter58 said:

Bingo, if no one really has you excited and you can get a guy you like a few picks later, pull the trigger on a trade. But if a guy you really like is on the board in your spot, dont get cute.

The Eagles have turned 'getting cute' on draft day into an art form over the last 20 years.

• Like 2

Stay put and draft the BPA, please. Unless you can trade out of that pick, keep a 1st rounder, and get a high 2nd or a late 1st.

(captain obvious, here)

They have so many holes.  BPA at 6- then trade down from there to acquire more picks than the 7 they currently have.

I had a dream last night that they drafted a Defensive Tackle and all the fans were underwhelmed and disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I had a dream last night that they drafted a Defensive Tackle and all the fans were underwhelmed and disappointed. 

That's a logical eagles pick. Why change your stripe now?

• Like 1

I'd stay put unless:

1. A QB drops and a team wants to hand the Eagles a truckload of picks.  Think multiple year 1st and 2nd rounders.

2. Chase and Smith are gone and they don't love remaining options and like multiple guys they can get lower.

given we are stuck with Wentz, I would try to move back in the draft to get extra 2nd pick(I don't think anyone would give also 3rd) and then spent first 3 picks on O Line, secondary(probably CB) and LB...I wouldn't go for WR before 4th or maybe even 5th round...would use first 4 rounds solely on Defense and OLine and similar next year and then when we get rid of Wentz I would look for a WR in the early round assuming we will suck so much we still have decent  draft position...that is we need a Def HC for this probably

Can this team compete in the next few years with adding a high draft pick?

Does the team have good young players to build around?

For me I say no to both. With a brand new Coaching staff, terrible cap situation, and an old roster I would be rebuilding. That would incline me to trade down and trade off assets.

But the owner and front office are delusional so I doubt they trade down or see this team far from competitive.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should stay put.  My dream first three rounds:

1- Ja'Marr Chase

2- Jaycee Horn/Asante Samuel Jr

3- Landon Dickerson

Can do whatever else you want from there.  We need a new nucleus to build around, and youth.  Pray we can get something decent for Ertz.

Does it matter if Bowles is our HC? We will have to fire him in 2-3 years and yet again start over.