Should we trade back in the draft? Or should we stay put?

Traveler Vic

Stay Put? Or Trade down?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should we:

• Trade Down
    • Stay Put

On 1/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, Sack that QB said:

Trading down, with some exceptions are usually for teams who want as many picks as soon as possible. If you're content with building slowly and methodically(which most teams should be) then there is never a need to trade down unless you absolutely don't like anyone on the board at all.

Where has it ever been said that you need to draft as many players and fill as many holes as soon as possible? The goal is to fill them correctly. If it takes 4 years, it takes 4 years.

I'd virtually never trade down and almost always trade up. Go up, get the guys you think are impact guys, and build your team slowly. Everyone's afraid to suck in the NFL or be mediocre for a couple years. Rushed rebuilds are wrong rebuilds.

Best post of this thread.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Does it matter if Bowles is our HC? We will have to fire him in 2-3 years and yet again start over.

I don’t think Bowles will end up as the coach, but a defensive minded coach might be more willing to draft defensive players. At least when they had Rhodes they built a very strong defense that allowed McNabb to develop into a better quarterback. Might not be a bad thing to bring in a defensive minded guy who knows defensive talent. 

Based on our track record in the draft I think we'd be better off staying put.  The guys at the top of the draft arguably have a higher probability of success than those father down in the ranks.  The only consolation for horrifically sucking this year was a higher draft pick.  Use it. 

• Like 1

It really depends and I can see it both ways.  If they stay put they should get an instant starter, unless they do something stupid.  But if they trade back a few spots they may still get an instant starter as well as a couple more picks.  I would prefer they stay put and draft either the best WR or CB depending on how the draft plays out ahead of them.

I'd like to see who the eagles have stcoach before speculating anything. Coaching issues need to be addressed sooner than later. 

On 1/11/2021 at 8:59 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Get the best player you can at 6. I don’t want to see Howie try to outsmart everyone. 

Get Farley @6 and wait on your 2nd round pick.

We'll all want a flashy, STUD... like Chase (wr). Instead howie will get us a DE or an OT. 

Ah yess. The safe route.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 1:19 AM, EagleMatt said:

We'll all want a flashy, STUD... like Chase (wr). Instead howie will get us a DE or an OT. 

Ah yess. The safe route.

Off topic but I read that as std at first glance...yea I'm eff'd up in the head

:roll::roll:

On 1/20/2021 at 8:55 PM, EagleVA said:

Get Farley @6 and wait on your 2nd round pick.

Well I like him better than Surtain...but 6 is high for either of them IMO. 

12 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Off topic but I read that as std at first glance...yea I'm eff'd up in the head

:roll::roll:

Dude upon first glance in bold i saw it too, just now. 😅

So with the Lions parting with Stafford, we are in prime position for anyone wanting to trade up for a QB.

I don’t want to trade down too far, but if the Panthers or Broncos were desperate for a QB and willing to give up their second rounder, I’m taking it. We still get a stud at 8/9 and have 2 high second rounders.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I don’t want to trade down too far, but if the Panthers or Broncos were desperate for a QB and willing to give up their second rounder, I’m taking it. We still get a stud at 8/9 and have 2 high second rounders.

Hmm I'm not so sure. I mean look with any other GM then maybe I'd feel better about that trade but I'm not sure. A second to move back 2/3 spots? Sounds tempting and that's fair value I think but Howie will stuff it up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

So with the Lions parting with Stafford, we are in prime position for anyone wanting to trade up for a QB.

A few spots for another 2nd I'd do. But need to still get a stud in the 1st.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

This works perfectly this year with possibly 3...4...qbs going in the top 9 picks.  There are at least 5 skill position studs. Take bpa at 8 or 9 then trade both high seconds to get back into the first for another top 20 prospect that's not a QB.....

• Like 1

Since Howie screws up the picks so bad, it's pretty damn hard to screw up #6. Take the best player at 6. 

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hmm I'm not so sure. I mean look with any other GM then maybe I'd feel better about that trade but I'm not sure. A second to move back 2/3 spots? Sounds tempting and that's fair value I think but Howie will stuff it up.

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

A few spots for another 2nd I'd do. But need to still get a stud in the 1st.

3 hours ago, What The F said:

This works perfectly this year with possibly 3...4...qbs going in the top 9 picks.  There are at least 5 skill position studs. Take bpa at 8 or 9 then trade both high seconds to get back into the first for another top 20 prospect that's not a QB.....

Agreed absolutely we need a stud player, which is why I would only be interested in trading back 2-3 spots. 

We should still get Chase, Smith or one of the top corners.

Not sure in that scenario about trading both high seconds to get up to 20. It starts to become more of a crap shoot after 15, so I think we would be better placed at that stage using both picks, but if we can somehow get a 3rd for Ertz, perhaps using a 3rd to climb back in to the end of the first round if a player drops we like. 

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Agreed absolutely we need a stud player, which is why I would only be interested in trading back 2-3 spots. 

We should still get Chase, Smith or one of the top corners.

Where I am at with Howie... I think no matter who he ends up drafting (be that at #6 or #8/9 or even if he trades up for whatever reason) I will be fairly convinced that player will be a bust. If he drafts Chase then I will be concerned they should have taken Smith. If they take Smith then they should have taken Chase and so on.

Lets make this easy. If Chase and Smith are off the board, trade back. These top defensive players IMO have a lot of question marks.

If Howie knew how to draft competently, trading down would be ideal because we have so many holes to fill with an aging roster.  If, hypothetically,  SF traded up for our pick, that leaves us with the number 12 pick and 400 points (from the trade value chart), which is a mid 2nd round pick, leaving us with draft picks at 12, 37 and possibly 43 (if SF gives us their 2nd flat out).  At #12, there's still going to be crazy talented players so it would definitely make sense.  All that said, Howie won't trade down and will select a long snapper at #6, saying, "we love his skill set, and he's really a funny guy, great for the locker room"....😕

On 1/10/2021 at 9:13 PM, Traveler Vic said:

Having a valuable high pick, Eagles will face a phylosophical decision of whether  to draft for immediate impact, or to Rebuild the team. Odds are we will stay put and pick either a CB, WR, or  a best available player. However I am in the camp, arguing that we have many positions that need upgrading and it would be more prudent to trade back and obtain multiple picks. I would rather have a combination of 3 second round picks than a single high draft pick. For example a second round CB, S , and a Tackle...may be a lot better for rebuilding the team than just a single player. Of course it is all argumentative, but I wish to know what everyone thinks. (Of course I know that Howie is still here)

Good question.  If there is a beast at 6, grab him.  There can be a big drop off if you trade too far back.

5 minutes ago, Procus said:

Good question.  If there is a beast at 6, grab him.  There can be a big drop off if you trade too far back.

While each draft is different...we have one constant ...Howie. I do not trust his selections!  Howie may have less of the chance to screw up if he had 3 selections instead of one. Other wise it will be Reagor over Jefferson and Whiteside over DK Metcalf , all over again. Somehow Howie will find a way to reach. 1 out 3 may be better than 0 out of 1.

If the Eagles target a top 5 player in this draft I’d rather they move up than try to and get them rather than trade back and try and get cute. Throwing more picks to the problem doesn’t always lead to a solution. It’s just more chances to screw things ups. 

• Like 2