New Coaching Staff Hotboard

Macho Grande

21 hours ago, phil77 said:

With all the players lobbying for him to the HC job I don't know how you can keep him in the locker room.  Players wanting Duce to be HC might not give the new HC all their attention. 

You'd be surprised.  He's still got a great job.  Honestly, rushing stats for the eagles the past couple of years were below average, in some categories, at the bottom.

21 minutes ago, Procus said:

You'd be surprised.  He's still got a great job.  Honestly, rushing stats for the eagles the past couple of years were below average, in some categories, at the bottom.

total rushing yards were not good - YPC not so bad - can't fault Duce for not running more.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Carson liking anyone shouldn’t be a factor. Someone coaching him like Flip did should be. 

You say that, but Carson liking his coaches has been THE FACTOR for years now. 

Hence my point, I don't think he'd LIKE Andrew Breiner, but I think Breiner would be great for him. Breiner doesn't take any nonsense at all, but he's not a micromanager and knows how to handle egos. Because, he just doesn't put up with egos. 

2 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Hence my point, I don't think he'd LIKE Andrew Breiner, but I think Breiner would be great for him. Breiner doesn't take any nonsense at all, but he's not a micromanager and knows how to handle egos. Because, he just doesn't put up with egos. 

Sounds ideal. Certainly nothing wrong with having a guy you get along with, but the coach still has to have the authority and willingness to crack the whip when need be. Above all else, Wentz can't be an inmate running the asylum. 

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yep all 3 of them!  :excited:

1 of them has to be called Scaramanga.

The thing about OC is that it's changed a bit, and you are starting to see more & more who don't call plays.  HC's don't want their callers poached by other clubs and promoted-so they're starting to keep that role to themselves. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stinkfist said:

Sounds like a bit of a contradiction. If he knows how to handle egos and Carson has an ego then it shouldn't be an issue, right?

6 minutes ago, mihailo said:

Sounds like a bit of a contradiction. If he knows how to handle egos and Carson has an ego then it shouldn't be an issue, right?

Not really. Not sure how much time you've spent working with athletes, but egos don't just go away. There are people that can deal with them and people that can't. So, while I don't think he'd like him (just like he didn't like Flip or Reich before they talked about Baby Jesus), they handled his ego other ways. Instead of Press, who just did whatever Carson wanted. 

4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Sounds ideal. Certainly nothing wrong with having a guy you get along with, but the coach still has to have the authority and willingness to crack the whip when need be. Above all else, Wentz can't be an inmate running the asylum. 

Yup, and that's where a coach that knows how to manipulate that relationship comes into play. Need to know what buttons to push. What is worth fighting over? What isn't? 

I can tell you for absolute fact that Breiner isn't going to fight the mechanics battle. If it's a 3/4 delivery battle or something like that, he'd just roll his eyes and skip it. You feel like you don't need to listen to coaching or respect the team though? You enjoy the response you get. Impressive guy. 

He may not even be here in two days. Who knows? Bright guy that I'd have liked to see work with the QBs though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stinkfist said:

Not really. Not sure how much time you've spent working with athletes, but egos don't just go away. There are people that can deal with them and people that can't. So, while I don't think he'd like him (just like he didn't like Flip or Reich before they talked about Baby Jesus), they handled his ego other ways. Instead of Press, who just did whatever Carson wanted. 

I don't think Press handled his ego, he just gave into him, which is clearly not good 

I came to 2 possible conclusions based on your post and I previously questioned the side I didn't agree with. So we both agree that if Breiner can deal with egos then he would be good for Wentz.

• Like 1

Since Bowles was here for an interview, Lurie and Roseman likely asked about his LB coach Michael Caldwell who started his coaching career in Philly. 

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Press Taylor is looking for a job

That's good. It means he's not employed here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Fipp can only use the talent of which Fed Ex or UPS guys we have on our squad that don't start. It's bad enough some of the talent that we have drafted 

let alone half of the reserves.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 11:34 PM, vaeagle2 said:

OC tom rathman colts rb coach 24 years exp

DC alan williams colts db coach 29 years exp

Yeah, there's buzz that the Eagles next DC is coming from the Colts and most are assuming it's Jonathan Gannon, the cornerbacks coach, because his name is rumored to be in the mix for a few different open DC spots.

However, Alan Williams, the safeties coach, was actually a DC for the Vikings for 2 years under Leslie Frazier, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually the guy the Eagles hire.

Mike Lombardi (infamous for his hot take on Doug Pederson when first hired) reported that the new DC will be a Colts coach on the Pat McAfee show, but declined to name him so take it for what it's worth. 🤔

51 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Yeah, there's buzz that the Eagles next DC is coming from the Colts and most are assuming it's Jonathan Gannon, the cornerbacks coach, because his name is rumored to be in the mix for a few different open DC spots.

However, Alan Williams, the safeties coach, was actually a DC for the Vikings for 2 years under Leslie Frazier, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually the guy the Eagles hire.

Mike Lombardi (infamous for his hot take on Doug Pederson when first hired) reported that the new DC will be a Colts coach on the Pat McAfee show, but declined to name him so take it for what it's worth. 🤔

yeah williams has coached some great db's , like when he was in tampa with dungy , lynch and barber

22 hours ago, Nivraga said:

total rushing yards were not good - YPC not so bad - can't fault Duce for not running more.

Can fault him for constantly taking out the hot hand though

• Like 1

per Adam Caplan, Peele is moving on to Atlanta.  I don't do twitter, and can't use my phone as a link.  Hope I'm not breaking anything, just posting what's coming over the wires. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eagles-grant-special-teams-coordinator-191006216.html

Eagles went from denying Fipp an opportunity to letting him explore other options after that one got filled. Are they being vindictive or are they just this backwards?

Unfortunately I think they are backwards. At this time I think the future for this team is rather worrying! They may get lucky with Sirianni who knows. They did with Doug and I'm not going to kill the move because I think HC hires tend to be a crap shoot. But this organization is a shambles at the moment. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unfortunately I think they are backwards. At this time I think the future for this team is rather worrying! They may get lucky with Sirianni who knows. They did with Doug and I'm not going to kill the move because I think HC hires tend to be a crap shoot. But this organization is a shambles at the moment. 

I just don’t see what direction they’re trying to go in. I do think they like to hire the least known guy, because it makes them appear to be smarter than everyone else. Lurie can proudly boast he hired two former SB coaches. There is something about the Eagles and their love to do things the hard way and pat themselves on the back for it. I hope this HC works out, but I’m more concerned with the FO and their choices and actions more.

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I just don’t see what direction they’re trying to go in. I do think they like to hire the least known guy, because it makes them appear to be smarter than everyone else. Lurie can proudly boast he hired two former SB coaches. There is something about the Eagles and their love to do things the hard way and pat themselves on the back for it. I hope this HC works out, but I’m more concerned with the FO and their choices and actions more.

Agreed. I mean look who knows if Sirianni will work out or not. He might prove to be a really good hire. They hit with Reid and they hit with Doug. Hell Chip was a good HC with back to back 10 win seasons, he was just a d-bag. So this one may work out too. But I don't see the direction, the grand idea here. Sirianni hasn't been one of the hot young offensive minds that all teams are vying for. This can't have been their plan when they fired Doug?

Looks like its Jonathan Gannon for DC.

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/1353114527408259073?s=20

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2928014-report-eagles-expected-to-hire-colts-coach-jonathan-gannon-as-new-dc

Report: Eagles Expected to Hire Colts Coach Jonathan Gannon as New DC

Blake SchusterJanuary 23, 2021

Shown is the Philadelphia Eagles logo during a NFL football game at Lincoln Financial Field Thursday, Aug. 25, 2011, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
Matt Rourke/Associated Press

The Philadelphia Eagles have tapped Indianapolis Colts defensive backs coach Jonathan Gannon as their new defensive coordinator, according to the The Athletic's Michael Lombardi.

Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated noted Gannon had been offered multiple coordinator jobs across the league this offseason before deciding to go to Philly.

• Like 3

Chris Harris must've been the Rooney rule interview.