Eagles Hire Jonathan Gannon as DC (Colts DB coach)

Uscg-green

My biggest gripe with him is that his style just isn't a style I am fond of watching. 

I'd rather a defence which attacks more, takes more chances, creates negative plays and pressures the offence into making mistakes. I realise that comes with more risk but just think it suits Philly more (like a strong running game on offence does). From the days of Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson, its what the city is accustomed too. Hell even Jim Shorts at least let his D-line play attack.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

My biggest gripe with him is that his style just isn't a style I am fond of watching. 

And I think that's the thing. I think actually this defense has been OK in the red zone hasn't it? I'm pretty sure the stats show it has been pretty good. And they have been able to make a lot of plays in the red zone if I think back throughout the season so far. But this scheme and style is painful to watch. Philly wants I think want a hard defense that's going to get after the opposition and hit them hard. This defense just hasn't done that. It's been pretty passive for the most part really. It doesn't take risks, it doesn't force pressure and it hasn't really gotten that many turnovers. 

24 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I think that's the thing. I think actually this defense has been OK in the red zone hasn't it? I'm pretty sure the stats show it has been pretty good. And they have been able to make a lot of plays in the red zone if I think back throughout the season so far. But this scheme and style is painful to watch. Philly wants I think want a hard defense that's going to get after the opposition and hit them hard. This defense just hasn't done that. It's been pretty passive for the most part really. It doesn't take risks, it doesn't force pressure and it hasn't really gotten that many turnovers. 

I might be in the minority here but I think we should not overreact. Gannon is pretty young and a first time DC. He’s learning on the job and still figuring things out.

Eagles fans want to see immediate results and that’s fair but we all knew when they hired an extremely young and inexperienced staff that it would take time.

I’m willing to give him that. I believe he’ll figure things out...

37 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Eagles fans want to see immediate results and that’s fair but we all knew when they hired an extremely young and inexperienced staff that it would take time.

I don't think it's about that to be honest. He is young and inexperienced and mistakes and issues are to be expected. But it's the way his scheme has been and how it lacks creativity and he keeps doing the same things. That's the issue for me. 

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think it's about that to be honest. He is young and inexperienced and mistakes and issues are to be expected. But it's the way his scheme has been and how it lacks creativity and he keeps doing the same things. That's the issue for me. 

That is also inexperience IMO.

His scheme might be vanilla because he’s trying to figure things out. I don’t think it will stay this way.

Remember he was a DB coach only not that long ago and is just learning how to use the front 7 properly. 

If you take into account our DL isn’t as dominant anymore, it’ll be tough for any DC to have succes. The interior DL is okay but your outside pass rush isn’t getting home. Give the man a top DE in april and see what he can do with it.

23 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

His scheme might be vanilla because he’s trying to figure things out. I don’t think it will stay this way.

Remember he was a DB coach only not that long ago and is just learning how to use the front 7 properly. 

I just don't buy that bud sorry I don't. I'd expect rookie issues and errors (Sirianni has had them too) but he's showing zero with his scheme. 

He was a DB coach who can't seem to figure that his DBs aren't terrible and he should show more faith in them. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't buy that bud sorry I don't. I'd expect rookie issues and errors (Sirianni has had them too) but he's showing zero with his scheme. 

He was a DB coach who can't seem to figure that his DBs aren't terrible and he should show more faith in them. 

You’re expecting too much, man! Need to be patient. 

If you start a new job today, I’m not expecting you to be good right away. You need time to get your feet wet and show promise. That’s all a new employer can ask for. Some employees just need more time than others. If after an extensive period of time you come to the conclusion the guy or girl just doesn’t have it in him, you can always pull the plug.

The question is; how much time are you willing to give a rookie DC?! Three months, a year, two years?!

24 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

If you start a new job today, I’m not expecting you to be good right away. You need time to get your feet wet and show promise.

I don't agree. If I started a new job today I'd be expected to show promise straight away. Yes I'd be expected to build up my understanding over time but if I'm being hired (and being paid a lot of money) to do an important role then you need to start to show what you can do early on. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't agree. If I started a new job today I'd be expected to show promise straight away. Yes I'd be expected to build up my understanding over time but if I'm being hired (and being paid a lot of money) to do an important role then you need to start to show what you can do early on. 

Not my experience starting a new job with completely different tasks and responsabilities. 

5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

That is also inexperience IMO.

If you take into account our DL isn’t as dominant anymore, it’ll be tough for any DC to have succes. The interior DL is okay but your outside pass rush isn’t getting home. Give the man a top DE in april and see what he can do with it.

This is my reasoning. At least this is what I am hoping

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hard to really say when your job is to supervise the work of others and the groups work ethic, ability, performance, and progress dictates your success. Oh and by the way you don’t have the power to make the changes to who works for you and who you can or can’t replace. 

• Like 1