Eagles Hire Jonathan Gannon as DC (Colts DB coach)

Uscg-green

18 minutes ago, Mat said:

They're playing very safe on the defensive side of the ball. Deep safeties, exclusively zone coverage and barely blitzing. With the front 4 unable to get any pressure outside of Hargrave, it's going to see teams just dink and dunk down the field. Because the safeties are deep and the LB'ers are poor they're getting gashed by the run. 

To be fair, that should be pretty much the ideal defensive plan against KC, the Chargers let Mahomes have the underneath stuff and waited for him to throw a pick the week before and they got him, our problem is we haven't got the players behind the D Line to make it work.

42 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

To be fair, that should be pretty much the ideal defensive plan against KC, the Chargers let Mahomes have the underneath stuff and waited for him to throw a pick the week before and they got him, our problem is we haven't got the players behind the D Line to make it work.

It has also been the game plan in all 4 games. I think they said in the coverage that they lined up in zone on 98% of snaps this season. It worked pretty well when BG was out there since the front 4 could get enough pressure. Once you replace him with Barnett/Kerrigan it's a completely different story.

They were also giving up chunk plays in the run game in all 4 games and it's because they don't want to give up those big pass plays.

While it worked for the Chargers, they also have Bosa. The interception for the Eagles was one of the few times they could get a clean hit on Mahomes, otherwise he was able to sit back and pick the D apart 

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The idea that Schwartz was BS is BS as you guys agree. We did need a change though. Years of Howie neglecting to add to the D in the draft finally got to him.

As for Gannon, well he needs time and he’s just gone up against two top 5 Os.

I really miss Schwartz shutting down the run though. I hate teams being able to control the game by running on us.

Oh without doubt Schwartz did a good job but it was time to move on. And I'm glad they went for a young up and coming coach that can hopefully grow and improve. 

The issue is I think Gannon needs LBs badly and he doesn't have them. If he did then teams would find it much harder to run on us.

Any defensive coordinator for the eagles is going to struggle with his personnel because of the Eagles philosophy on LBs and DBs........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Any defensive coordinator for the eagles is going to struggle with his personnel because of the Eagles philosophy on LBs and DBs........

I don't think DB is the issue right now. It is LB. Teams are able to just run straight at us because BG is out, Cox looks like he may be done and the LBs are so damn bad. 

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I know Brandon Graham is out. But with Cox,Hargrave, and Sweat this shouldn't be a problem. I feel like every year our D-Line gets talked up and ever lives up to the hype. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think DB is the issue right now. It is LB. Teams are able to just run straight at us because BG is out, Cox looks like he may be done and the LBs are so damn bad. 

Yea. I think cox is done.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh without doubt Schwartz did a good job but it was time to move on. And I'm glad they went for a young up and coming coach that can hopefully grow and improve. 

The issue is I think Gannon needs LBs badly and he doesn't have them. If he did then teams would find it much harder to run on us.

They should move to sign Jaylon Smith he still can play at a high level .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rickospia said:

I wouldn't disagree there. But how old is Smith?

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't disagree there. But how old is Smith?

26. It doesn't feel like that long ago that the Cowgirls were adamant that Smith and Vander Esch were the saviours of that D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickospia said:

If he could.play at a high level he wouldn't of been cut. He sucks and is just another Alex Singleton maybe even worse

16 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

If he could.play at a high level he wouldn't of been cut. He sucks and is just another Alex Singleton maybe even worse

He just does not fit in this defense he can play sometimes he is a me guy that and his contract is why he is gone . I bet he will be picked up by another team this week.🙂

Just now, rickospia said:

He just does not fit in this defense he can play sometimes he is a me guy that and his contract is why he is gone . I bet he will be picked up by another team this week.🙂

Good let the other team then

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Good let the other team then

Amen !🙂

1 hour ago, Mat said:

26. It doesn't feel like that long ago that the Cowgirls were adamant that Smith and Vander Esch were the saviours of that D

And then they drafted Parsons and Cox in this years draft right? I mean I don't know why the Eagles wouldn't be interested. I mean they won't be because Howie won't but they should be no doubt. 

On 1/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, Uscg-green said:

Don't know anything about the guy but reading around he seemed to be "the up and coming guy" teams wanted for DC

Gannon is in over his head he was a bad hire .

• Like 2

Just now, Mike030270 said:

This guy is stubborn. After getting yelled at by the HC he doesn’t change

Stubborn and it seems dumb. Dumb because he hasn't changed things and doesn't seem able to see that he's got to take a different approach. 

4 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Very nice rebound for the D. They got this win. 

Without doubt. I mean I know technically the offense iced the game with the ball but Nelson really did the work there. All the offense had to do was not screw it up. And even then Sanders still tried. 

37 minutes ago, NCTANK said:

game ball goes to the defense 

I'll give it to special teams for the blocked punt.

51 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Very nice rebound for the D. They got this win. 

Glad to see ANY improvement. Nice picks in there today.