Eagles Hire Jonathan Gannon as DC (Colts DB coach)

Uscg-green

12 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Wasn't Gannon kinda the 'hot' name in the Off Season as a few teams were looking at him to be their DC?? 

Not sure of any point I am trying to make. 🤔

Yes he was. Doesn’t seem like he’s much of a fit in Philly though, but it’s hard to tell with the players he’s been given. I expected more out of this defense. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Even in this game with all the cushions Slay and Nelson both got picked on.

I've watched Nelson get picked on and burnt a bit this year. Slay I'll give a pass too. He has been pretty damn good for the most part. Unless your name is Jalen Ramsey you are not going to contain everyone, the days of having 5-6 elite shut down corners in the league is done. That's why you see more of the gambling types it's the only way to create turnovers now. Since you can't ride their hips the whole way down the field and get in to hand fighting battles for the ball anymore 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yes he was. Doesn’t seem like he’s much of a fit in Philly though, but it’s hard to tell with the players he’s been given. I expected more out of this defense. 

Didn't Colts have non trash LBs and DE who is expert on idiotic penalties?...that would explain a lot

14 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I've watched Nelson get picked on and burnt a bit this year. Slay I'll give a pass too. He has been pretty damn good for the most part. Unless your name is Jalen Ramsey you are not going to contain everyone, the days of having 5-6 elite shut down corners in the league is done. That's why you see more of the gambling types it's the only way to create turnovers now. Since you can't ride their hips the whole way down the field and get in to hand fighting battles for the ball anymore 

I don’t think Slay is elite anymore though, but I do think he’s been decent this year. I wish they would just let these guys just jam the receivers, because they are getting beat anyway and the quarterbacks they are playing are just taking the seven and eight yard cushions they are giving up regardless. Send pressure at these quarterbacks. They aren’t getting home with 4. I think the passive defensive style is demoralizing to the players too, but I don’t the players are as talented as they used to be either. 

9 hours ago, Vlad67 said:

Didn't Colts have non trash LBs and DE who is expert on idiotic penalties?...that would explain a lot

Gannon came from the Vikings, but they also have better linebackers than the Eagles too. 

59 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Gannon came from the Vikings, but they also have better linebackers than the Eagles too. 

Well yeah...would be difficult to find team with worse

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think Slay is elite anymore though, but I do think he’s been decent this year. I wish they would just let these guys just jam the receivers, because they are getting beat anyway and the quarterbacks they are playing are just taking the seven and eight yard cushions they are giving up regardless. Send pressure at these quarterbacks. They aren’t getting home with 4. I think the passive defensive style is demoralizing to the players too, but I don’t the players are as talented as they used to be either. 

I agree Slay isn't elite anymore but he is the least of the issues. 

Gannon came from the colts he spent 3 seasons there as a defensive backs coach but he did go there from the Vikings as the assistant dbacks coach. Colts had a pretty good defense with a bunch of no names other then Lenard. However you can't blame Gannon for penalties as a db coach 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I agree Slay isn't elite anymore but he is the least of the issues. 

Gannon came from the colts he spent 3 seasons there as a defensive backs coach but he did go there from the Vikings as the assistant dbacks coach. Colts had a pretty good defense with a bunch of no names other then Lenard. However you can't blame Gannon for penalties as a db coach 

When you look at this Eagles roster is there anyone on this defense you believe they can truly count on to make a play? Is there anyone on this defense an offense should fear? Anyone you have no doubt in your mind can and will make a play? I think Gannon has done a poor job, but I think Howie’s done a worse job providing him with talent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vlad67 said:

Well yeah...would be difficult to find team with worse

That is a big issue here. This team lacks talent and is why I really hope they use their picks to improve the talent rather than QB chasing. All that will changes is people going back to saying this team has no talent, because they aren’t a quarterback away from being a legit contender. 

23 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

When you look at this Eagles roster is there anyone on this defense you believe they can truly count on to make a play? Is there anyone on this defense an offense should fear? Anyone you have no doubt in your mind can and will make a play? I think Gannon has done a poor job, but I think Howie’s done a worse job providing him with talent. 

No , no and no. I'm actually not as tough on Gannon as a lot of people are. He was set up to fail in my opinion. Can he do a lot better himself? Absolutely but, he was given a sheety start 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No , no and no. I'm actually not as tough on Gannon as a lot of people are. He was set up to fail in my opinion. Can he do a lot better himself? Absolutely but, he was given a sheety start 

People are expecting a five star meal with week old garbage from a dumpster. 😂🤣😂

• Haha 1

I think Gannon sucks, but I think we probably shouldn't look too much in stats like 80% completions blah blah. The fact is that it's happening all over the league and with greater frequency. Heck Colt McCoy just went 22 for 25 against the 49ers. The fact is that the league wants pass happy high scoring games and that's exactly what we are getting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, opa-opa said:

I think Gannon sucks, but I think we probably shouldn't look too much in stats like 80% completions blah blah. The fact is that it's happening all over the league and with greater frequency. Heck Colt McCoy just went 22 for 25 against the 49ers. The fact is that the league wants pass happy high scoring games and that's exactly what we are getting. 

It is happening all over the league to some extent but also not to the degree it happens to the Eagles defense. Even the good QBs we've faced haven't been as accurate in their other games. And if it's happening all over the league then why is Hurts completion % not a lot higher?

• Like 1

If you watch Herbert against the Patriots (when he threw for 223 yards) and Herbert against us (when he threw for 356 yards), it is easy to see the difference. The Patriots were able to generate a pass rush (mostly with Judon) to force Herbert out of the pocket, and the Patriots played a lot more press coverage, which took away quick throws. We had zero pass rush and played off coverage, which gave Herbert plenty of time to make easy completions.

Our defense is going to get shredded when the front four can't generate pressure, and they didn't on Sunday. What is hard to fathom is why the Eagles didn't blitz more using the linebackers. Edwards has shown he can do it. So has Singleton. Once the front four stopped generating pressure, Gannon should have called more blitzes and more press coverage, but he didn't and it cost us the game.   

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It is happening all over the league to some extent but also not to the degree it happens to the Eagles defense. Even the good QBs we've faced haven't been as accurate in their other games. And if it's happening all over the league then why is Hurts completion % not a lot higher?

Well Hurts completion percentage is up actually, but when he’s missing wide open passes you can’t really use him as the measuring stick. He’s missing easy passes. I agree with @jsb235 though. This front line doesn’t generate enough pass rush. The last high pick the Eagles used on the line was Barnett. The one before him was Marcus Smith. The next guy is Fletcher Cox. They have not invested in their defensive line with high selections in years, but they’re paying those guys a truckload of money. They have basically overpaid Josh Sweat when he hasn’t consistently proved he can be the guy. It’s Vinny Curry all over again. This team’s defense is predicated to the front four being enough to get pressure. Now they are too old and lack talent. It makes everyone else look bad when they don’t generate pressure. Howie better be using these picks to improve this defense instead of chasing after a quarterback, because these guys aren’t talented enough to win regardless. 

• Like 1

While watching the game yesterday there was one player that stood out to me, granted it was for just 2 plays but he showed me he was a hitter, something that's been very rare as of late, it was LB Shaun Bradley from Temple.

Nice game overall by the defense.  I thought Gannon heard the critics and switched things up a bit.  Like Sirianni, he is new to the role of game planning and play calling ... it just took him a couple more games than Nick to realize adjustments were needed.  This all should have been expected when the season started knowing how green they were, that 2021 was going to more about trying to find out what works and what doesn't.  Let's hope he keeps trending upward.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Nice game overall by the defense. 

I'm not sure how you could say such a thing, I've never in my decades of watching the NFL witnessed worse run defense.

People talked so highly of him, and all I see is a fearful person with a fearful scheme that is always fear the opposing offense. Fear kills the best laid plans. Replace it with confident aggression and watch the world change.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

I'm not sure how you could say such a thing, I've never in my decades of watching the NFL witnessed worse run defense.

I guess the 237 yards gained by Emmitt Smith on Halloween day 1993 was somehow not as bad as yesterday. 

You’re an idiot. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

That may be somewhat of an exaggeration but I was in no way inferring that the defense was perfect ... still a lot to work on.  But it was a far better effort than we have seen in most games this year.  And some of that I believe can be tied directly to some of the adjustments Gannon seemed to have made.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

That may be somewhat of an exaggeration but I was in no way inferring that the defense was perfect ... still a lot to work on.  But it was a far better effort than we have seen in most games this year.  And some of that I believe can be tied directly to some of the adjustments Gannon seemed to have made.  

Yeah but, we have seen this before. Nick yells at Gannon then he comes out with a little bit different game plan against a mediocre QB. Then goes back into his shell against a better QB. 

34 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah but, we have seen this before. Nick yells at Gannon then he comes out with a little bit different game plan against a mediocre QB. Then goes back into his shell against a better QB. 

At some point he needs to do as his bosses wish for fear of keeping his job.  Eventually he’ll either "get it” or be replaced … not worried.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, time2rock said:

At some point he needs to do as his bosses wish for fear of keeping his job.  Eventually he’ll either "get it” or be replaced … not worried.  

Good point sir. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Good point sir. 

It took Nick several weeks to incorporate the running game into his offense.  He finally seems to have made it more of a permanent adjustment.  I think Gannon will eventually come around and do the same (fingers crossed).  

Just now, time2rock said:

It took Nick several weeks to incorporate the running game into his offense.  He finally seems to have made it more of a permanent adjustment.  I think Gannon will eventually come around and do the same (fingers crossed).  

It will be like the Howard test lol. Let's see him scheme a game like this against a good QB. 

• Like 1