Eagles Hire Jonathan Gannon as DC (Colts DB coach)

Uscg-green

9 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Oh I wouldn’t either. I’d ideally trade down if Chase and Smith are both gone. Maybe down to 12 with SF and pick up number 43. 

I'm not so sure I would trade down that far. A couple of spots? Sure? Down to maybe #10? Sure but with Howie I am not sure we should go any lower than that.

21 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not so sure I would trade down that far. A couple of spots? Sure? Down to maybe #10? Sure but with Howie I am not sure we should go any lower than that.

I think a lot of people look at the prospects and say it works out. IE: a guy like Surtain may go in that range, so you may miss out but you scout him with some flaws as far as deep speed or ball skills and say if you get him at all it’s better at 12 then 8 or 10. Depending on your need and value of QBs can make this draft look several different ways 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 4:39 PM, wtfcares said:

Will be interesting to see if he plays more of a Cover 2, 2 deep safeties style Defense. 

That type of scheme requires good cover LBs which we have none. 

The key is not to be married to a particular scheme, change your scheme based on who you're playing and your personnel, see Todd Bowls in the SB and Belichick every week.

• Like 1

I like that I've heard Gannon apparently is big on pre and post snap disguises. Something we didn't get much of with Schwartz. 

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Garbage so far. Weeks 1 and 2 were good but the past 2 weeks are what we’ve been seeing for a few years now under Schwartz.

• Like 1

Gannon is a Fing moron. 

I would say fire him with the quickness, but since all of our position groups suck as a whole right now, it would be hard to pinpoint a replacement on the defensive coaching staff. 

• Thanks 3

On 1/24/2021 at 4:02 PM, Uscg-green said:

Looking at the Colts board they are pretty upset to lose him. 

They can have him back now! 😂🤣😂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Birdman said:

Gannon is a Fing moron. 

I would say fire him with the quickness, but since all of our position groups suck as a whole right now, it would be hard to pinpoint a replacement on the defensive coaching staff. 

This is why I give him a pass, you can't get blood from a rock.

19 hours ago, Birdman said:

Gannon is a Fing moron. 

how much of this is coaching, and how much is it that our defensive players are just not very good...(with a few exceptions, of course)

20 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Garbage so far. Weeks 1 and 2 were good but the past 2 weeks are what we’ve been seeing for a few years now under Schwartz.

With Schwartz we could at lest stop the runs most of the time although our secondary was pure trash...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Why were you all so excited about this hire?

1 hour ago, flyerdog said:

how much of this is coaching, and how much is it that our defensive players are just not very good...(with a few exceptions, of course)

57 minutes ago, Vlad67 said:

With Schwartz we could at lest stop the runs most of the time although our secondary was pure trash...

Schwartz was massively under appreciated by a lot of people on this board. He held this D together for years without much talent. Last year wasn’t great, but what he was handed at LB, safety and corner was a joke.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Schwartz was massively under appreciated by a lot of people on this board. He held this D together for years without much talent. Last year wasn’t great, but what he was handed at LB, safety and corner was a joke.

I wanted Schwartz gone and don't want him back

He at least had a top run defense. Ours seems to have been misplaced 

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

It was Schwartz’s time to go. He was tired and fresh out of ideas by the end. 

But the lack of investment on D was a joke. At least Gannon has a legitimate starting CB2 and safety. Schwartz was given junk for years and eventually it caught up to him.

3 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Screenshot_20211004-204457.png

Either way it's Howie's fault and he should've been fired along with everyone else after last season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My biggest issues so far:

1. Cox is not producing.  Even when single teamed.
  2. DEs aren't generated much pressure (sucks to lose BG 😞 )
  3. LBs are liability in coverage and Wilson doesnt tackle well.
  4. Safeties aren't good.
  5. Gannon scheme looks really vanilla without much disguise.  The reads are looking pretty easy on QBs.  Need a willingness to run some man just enough that pre-snap disguise can be used to make the QB do post-snap reads.

10 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Schwartz was massively under appreciated 

BS, he was garbage, his idea of defense was a front 4, when they got gassed.....game over.

3 hours ago, EagleVA said:

BS, he was garbage, his idea of defense was a front 4, when they got gassed.....game over.

I don't think it is BS because he wasn't garbage. If he was garbage he doesn't win a SB as DC. Did his defense get gashed in the SB? Absolutely! But his defense also did keep this team in other games that year and in the play offs. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Oh don't take me wrong, I agree...we needed a change at the position...I just hoped we would hire someone competent and experienced on the position...Jeez how I'm envious that Cowgirls got Quinn....

32 minutes ago, Vlad67 said:

Oh don't take me wrong, I agree...we needed a change at the position...I just hoped we would hire someone competent and experienced on the position...Jeez how I'm envious that Cowgirls got Quinn....

But to be fair... Gannon came in highly rated around the league. And it is way too early to say he's not going to be a very very good DC.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think it is BS because he wasn't garbage. If he was garbage he doesn't win a SB as DC. Did his defense get gashed in the SB? Absolutely! But his defense also did keep this team in other games that year and in the play offs. 

2 hours ago, Vlad67 said:

The idea that Schwartz was BS is BS as you guys agree. We did need a change though. Years of Howie neglecting to add to the D in the draft finally got to him.

As for Gannon, well he needs time and he’s just gone up against two top 5 Os.

I really miss Schwartz shutting down the run though. I hate teams being able to control the game by running on us.

• Like 1

They're playing very safe on the defensive side of the ball. Deep safeties, exclusively zone coverage and barely blitzing. With the front 4 unable to get any pressure outside of Hargrave, it's going to see teams just dink and dunk down the field. Because the safeties are deep and the LB'ers are poor they're getting gashed by the run. 

• Like 1