Anyone got a bad feeling the Eagles will draft a QB in the first round?

opa-opa

Doesn't matter who they draft, he will be sacked 50 times and have no weapons to throw to and people will be asking for Hurts to replace him by the 5th game and then we get rid of him and then draft another QB in 2022 etc etc etc

Sorry guys if I'm sounding cynical but I just have zero faith in this org right now.

I might get alot of hate here on this but if for some how some way Howie can get into #1 without giving Jacksonville more than 2 1sts and draft Lawrence than I wouldn't be mad, very highly unlikely that would happen...anyone else i don't think would make us any better than Hurts.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

I might get alot of hate here on this but if for some how some way Howie can get into #1 without giving Jacksonville more than 2 1sts and draft Lawrence than I wouldn't be mad, very highly unlikely that would happen...anyone else i wouldn't think wouldn't make us any better than Hurts.

Better chance at becoming the next billionaire lottery winner than getting to #1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roseman is short sighted and foolish with free agents and trades.

He seems to be simply stupid when it comes to evaluating draft talent

He would have to be all 3 simultaneously to pick a QB at 6 so, I'd say no but this doesn't create any sense of ease that he will make the best choice at 6

• Like 3

Ugh. Lordy, they better not. Too many other holes to address. 

Ride next season with Hurts and start building the roster back up, please.

More importanly, for me, I don't like any of the non-Lawrence QBs. Especially at 6!!

• Like 2

The media is doing their thing,  pushing very hard, to get the Eagles to spend their #6 pick on a QB.

Is Kyle Trask worth the #6 pick?

The consensus of the bribe taking media is that he is not.

Kyle Trask is the obvious choice for the Eagles, if they are going to take a QB in day 1 or day 2.

It's interesting that Brian Johnson has known Jalen Hurts since Jalen was 4, and Jalen's dad was Brian's high school coach.

Also quite relevant that Brian Johnson was the Offensive Coordinator for the Florida Gators,  where Kyle Trask was the starting QB last year, throwing 43 TD passes.

Now,  let's do some time travel.  put Brian Johnson as the Offensive Coordinator for BYU.  It would makes sense that Brian Johnson, former offensive coordiator for BYU would want to take the BYU QB,  because Brian Johnson knows him so well and has the proven ability to work well with him.  Ok, so we're waiting on the time travel,  as soon as that time travel kicks in,  Brian goes back in time,  goes to BYU,  gets the knowledge of the BYU QB,  boom,  that one would make sense.  Until then,  Brian Johnson is still on the "ex Florida Gators OC"  timeline, where he had that great experience with Kyle Trask.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking the Eagles trade up from their top 2nd pick to the bottom of the first,  to get that extra 5th year, and take Kyle Trask at 1/32.    Or they don't take a QB in the first.

Of all the top QBs,  Kyle Trask is the biggest.  He's the only QB in the Phillip Rivers size range.  Both Siri and Shane have worked extensively with Phillip Rivers.  Those 2, over the last 14 years (combined,  the last 7 years of each),  have worked with Rivers for 11 of the last 14 years. 

So you have, in Kyle Trask,  a QB who is closer to Phillip Rivers than any of the top choices,  which should appeal to Siri and Shane, and a QB who was coached by Brian, who is now the Eagles QB coach.  Over and over you get match, match, match.   It just makes sense.

My personal belief is that you go with running QBs whenever you can, you fill the roster with them at as many positions as you can, and you innovate, do crazy amazing things,  you win and everyone loves it.    But I've been watching the NFL long enough to know that's not what the NFL typically does.     What is extremely common is for teams to do pretty much what could be predicted by looking closely at the resumes of the key people, and Siri and Shane,  HC and OC, are certainly key people.   

I would predict that if there was any way to put Philip Rivers on the Eagles,  that would happen.    There might simply be no way to do that because of cap.  But,  in theory,  December 2021,  Rivers gets a small contract for 4 games + the playoffs, and a big "win the Super Bowl, get $10 Million" bonus.  It's theoretically possible.  Possibly what had happened sometime around that is Hurts is traded to the Ravens or Cardinals after an injury to Lamar or Kyler.   

Hurst (starter)
A vet backup (Tyrod Taylor or Easton Stick from the Chargers or Jacoby Brissett from the Colts)
Kyle Trask,  developing.

The amount of Jimmy Johnson points spent on 2 2nd round QBs is a lot less than a 1/2 or a 1/6.

There are a lot of things that the Eagles can do that make sense.  Hurts + running QBs + more running QBs makes sense.     Add Philip Rivers makes sense.  Add the Philip Rivers sized Kyle Trask makes sense.    The Eagles have a lot of choices that do make a lot of sense.    My prediction is that the Eagles will make decisions here that do make sense.

I don't think that drafting some random question mark with a higher pick,   when other paths make more sense and are cheaper is the direction they're going to go.  But I don't know that for sure.  There will certainly be a lot of talk about that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

I might get alot of hate here on this but if for some how some way Howie can get into #1 without giving Jacksonville more than 2 1sts and draft Lawrence than I wouldn't be mad, very highly unlikely that would happen...anyone else i wouldn't think wouldn't make us any better than Hurts.

I think a lot of people would tend to agree that getting Lawrence is something that they would want.   I'd put "get Lawrence" as something I'd say is a good idea,  but most would say that it's far fetched or impossible and I'd agree.

Yep. And since the Jets are reported to be in play, Howie may move up as well. Unbelievably. 

18 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Yep. And since the Jets are reported to be in play, Howie may move up as well. Unbelievably. 

Trading up to #2 for a qb? I feel I've seen that movie before 🤔🤔

• Like 2

When was the last time a 1st round QB (aside from Mahomes) won the SB? We need to stay put or trade back. We are old and over cap. Get Hurts the weapons, if he can't do it with proper help around him, then you move on. No one would do well with a beat up oline like we had. Hopefully our guys come back healthy and ready to play. Look what happened in the SB. The great Mahomes looked worse than Wentz.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Trading up to #2 for a qb? I feel I've seen that movie before 🤔🤔

Howie has not learned anything from the Wentz debacle and will be doomed to repeat history. And give us the same BS story about how you have to draft a QB blah, blah, blah, etc. 

• Like 2

I don't think it matters.  This team is so devoid of talent across the board that whoever they draft this year will likely be gone by the time this team is relevant again.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don’t see 4 QBs getting drafted in the top 5, so Lance would likely be on the board at #6 when the Eagles pick.  It’s not out of the question that Fields will be there as well.

My personal opinion is you build the roster up first, then draft the franchise QB later rather than the other way around.  Having said that, the presence of Jalen Hurts will not stop Howie from drafting QB at #6 if a QB they like is there.  Face it — Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance are all better prospects out of the wrapping than what Hurts offers right now, and all would give the Eagles a better chance of winning on any given Sunday.

I don’t have a bad feeling the Eagles will draft a first round QB.  I’m dead set against them trading up to do so, however.

• Like 1

2005-2021, 17 Super Bowls, a 1st round QB has been involved with 15.  

In 2016 we had former overall number 1, vs former overall number 1.

1st round QB’s won 9 Super Bowls in that time, and lost 8. 

2015 and 2018 are the only two Super Bowls in that time that didn’t involve a 1st round QB.

6th Round Tom Brady in that time has beaten a 1st round QB 4 times, McNabb, Ryan, Goff, and Mahomes. He lost 2 Super Bowls to a 1st round Eli Manning and one Super Bowl to 3rd round Nick Foles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Portyansky said:

When was the last time a 1st round QB won the SB? We need to stay put or trade back. We are old and over cap. Get Hurts the weapons, if he can't do it with proper help around him, then you move on. No one would do well with a beat up oline like we had. Hopefully our guys come back healthy and ready to play. Look what happened in the SB. The great Mahomes looked worse than Wentz.

Last year

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Better chance at becoming the next billionaire lottery winner than getting to #1

So you're saying there is a chance?

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Last year

True! 😄

But his point remains, if your rushers beat the OL the other team is in trouble. Even if their QB is Mahomes.

I don't think you'd need to trade beck into the 1st for Trask, I reckon there's a fair chance he's still there in round 3, but he'll definitely make it to 2 IMO.

That said it's not an outlandish suggestion that an incoming coach drafts his own guy, They mortgaged the farm for Wentz the year they appointed Doug.

The positions of biggest need on this team (interior o line, back end of the defense) are positions you can usually find decent talent on the second day anyway.

My biggest worry is they throw away #6 reaching for Trey Lance.

If Trask is there in the 3rd round I think Howie pulls the trigger on that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

I might get alot of hate here on this but if for some how some way Howie can get into #1 without giving Jacksonville more than 2 1sts and draft Lawrence than I wouldn't be mad, very highly unlikely that would happen...anyone else i don't think would make us any better than Hurts.

Nah, rather not draft a bust. 

5 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

2005-2021, 17 Super Bowls, a 1st round QB has been involved with 15.  

In 2016 we had former overall number 1, vs former overall number 1.

1st round QB’s won 9 Super Bowls in that time, and lost 8. 

2015 and 2018 are the only two Super Bowls in that time that didn’t involve a 1st round QB.

6th Round Tom Brady in that time has beaten a 1st round QB 4 times, McNabb, Ryan, Goff, and Mahomes. He lost 2 Super Bowls to a 1st round Eli Manning and one Super Bowl to 3rd round Nick Foles.

Brady Fed up the curve. If not for him those first round qb numbers would have been much higher. 

8 hours ago, JohnB said:

does anyone think Hurts can't be the guy?

I’m not sold that he will be the guy yet, but I’m not counting him out after four games as a rookie. I want to see him at least be given this season as the starter to get a better idea of what he can be. If it isn’t good enough, they’ll be picking high enough next year to get a QB then. They’ll likely even have an extra first next year if they need to trade up a few spots to get their guy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you get a legitimate chance at Lawrence, you take it, but there is no way Jacksonville give up that 1st pick.

The other QBs? Meh. We drafted Hurts to be an alternative to Wentz. He showed enough last year that we need to give him a chance to show what's he got. If he sucks, we get a good draft pick next year, plus hopefully another 1st to help us move up.

Let's see what Hurts can do with better talent and a full offseason.

• Like 2