Anyone got a bad feeling the Eagles will draft a QB in the first round?

opa-opa

Nah.  Howie still foolishly thinks he drafted Russell Wilson last year.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JohnB said:

does anyone think Hurts can't be the guy?

I don't.  He didn't have a full skillset coming into the NFL after having some of the best coaching in college for four years.  That isn't going to magically appear.  What I saw in those 4 games was just more of the same, but without premium talent around him to prop him up. He's an exciting guy to watch, for sure.

I hope that I am wrong, because it is clear that we are about to find out firsthand.  I am sure that they create a system around him to limit his exposure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnB said:

does anyone think Hurts can't be the guy?

As of right now... as long as he is not the guy holding on to the ball too long, and not fumbling or throwing to the other team. He will be good enough. Too soon to tell anything. He has shown some flashes. If our oline can't stay healthy we will need someone who can scramble. 

• Like 2

I don't know that they will draft one on day one, but they are going to have to draft one at some point in the draft.  It's not like we have an abundance of cap space to bring in free agents or veterans and we clearly need at least 1 more qb, since we know Sudfeld is a turd.  Might even need 2 more, if we want a 3rd on the roster in case of injury.

• Like 1

I seriously doubt it.

Howie picked Hurts in the second round last year, so unless something has changed that he thinks highly of Hurts.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we picked a QB somewhere in the later rounds, but probably not at #6 overall.

I would not be shocked in the least if Howie moved up a few spots to take Sewell.  He likes lineman in the first round.  We’ve also take a ton of WRs in the first round so Chase or Smith is a real possibility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I don't think you'd need to trade beck into the 1st for Trask, I reckon there's a fair chance he's still there in round 3, but he'll definitely make it to 2 IMO.

That said it's not an outlandish suggestion that an incoming coach drafts his own guy, They mortgaged the farm for Wentz the year they appointed Doug.

The positions of biggest need on this team (interior o line, back end of the defense) are positions you can usually find decent talent on the second day anyway.

My biggest worry is they throw away #6 reaching for Trey Lance.

If Trask is there in the 3rd round I think Howie pulls the trigger on that.

Trask in the 3rd is a solid pick. Personally, I feel they NEED to draft a QB this year...but either Trask in R3 or a day 3 developmental 3rd guy like Mond, Newman, Ehlinger, etc. 

After all of this for them to take a QB at 6 is a travesty. Hurts needs the opportunity to show you what he has this year as the first stringer. If he doesn’t work out you’re definitely drafting top 10 next year. 

This team is in full rebuild and have holes everywhere that they need youth for. Just take BPA. If Pitts is there at 6 and Chase/Sewell are gone, Pitts is my 3rd ranked prospect overall in the draft. Take him. Get yourself 2CBs, a S, an Edge guy, a RB, a LB and IOL. We are going to have 8-9 picks. 

JUST GO BPA!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If Howie drafted Hurts to be a back up, he may not like him as a starter, and since the Eagles aren’t in this draft position often like the Jags and Browns are, if Howie likes Fields, Lance, or Wilson, I definitely see them taking one of those guys with their pick. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Trask in the 3rd is a solid pick. Personally, I feel they NEED to draft a QB this year...but either Trask in R3 or a day 3 developmental 3rd guy like Mond, Newman, Ehlinger, etc. 

After all of this for them to take a QB at 6 is a travesty. Hurts needs the opportunity to show you what he has this year as the first stringer. If he doesn’t work out you’re definitely drafting top 10 next year. 

This team is in full rebuild and have holes everywhere that they need youth for. Just take BPA. If Pitts is there at 6 and Chase/Sewell are gone, Pitts is my 3rd ranked prospect overall in the draft. Take him. Get yourself 2CBs, a S, an Edge guy, a RB, a LB and IOL. We are going to have 8-9 picks. 

JUST GO BPA!!!

I agree with you. I feel like the Eagles need to take either Sewell/Chase/Pitts @ #6. If they are not available (and one of them should be) then try to trade back and pick up more picks.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

If Howie drafted Hurts to be a back up, he may not like him as a starter, and since the Eagles aren’t in this draft position often like the Jags and Browns are, if Howie likes Fields, Lance, or Wilson, I definitely see them taking one of those guys with their pick. 

Valid point, the big question here is did Howie draft Hurts strictly as a backup / gimmick player.  Recall that when Howie drafted Hurts, in the last game we watched a 40 year old journeyman quarterback lose a playoff game after Wentz was hurt again. I still firmly believe that Hurts was an insurance policy in case we needed somebody to play QB, and so that we wouldn't be pulling guys off the street anymore.  I don't think he was drafted strictly as a backup.

It will be interesting for sure.  Never say never, but I seriously doubt we are picking a QB at #6.  Much more likely we pick either OL or WR. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Pitts is my 3rd ranked prospect overall in the draft

I want to know what the deal is with Pitts.  Don't we already have Goedert and he is basically the reason why we are OK with letting Ertz go.  Goedert backs up Pitts?  Are we running 2 TE formations more next year?   

12 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I want to know what the deal is with Pitts.  Don't we already have Goedert and he is basically the reason why we are OK with letting Ertz go.  Goedert backs up Pitts?  Are we running 2 TE formations more next year?   

Pitts can split out wide if needs be, he's a genuine hybrid TE / WR, a good route runner with excellent hands, he's not going to burn anyone for pace but he can create seperation with agility and quick breaks but he can make contested catches if he needs to. He'd absolutely be a solid pick where we are. We've sucked at 2 TE sets for the last 2 years Pitts can make it work.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Pitts is really only a tight end in title. Dude can line up all over the field. Rare combination of speed and size. He’s too big/strong for DBs to deal with, too fast for linebackers. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

He’s more of a matchup nightmare than true TE. And yes I’d love to see more 2TE sets. I truly believe he’s better than Goedert and has the potential to be mentioned with Kelce, Kittle, Waller. 

• Like 2

If Justin Fields somehow slips to 6 the Eagles are going to have a tough decision to make.

Personally?  I think they should trade back and add picks.  Roll with Hurts and an affordable veteran backup next year - it's a lost year anyway because of the salary dump - and add depth at LB, CB and DL. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Valid point, the big question here is did Howie draft Hurts strictly as a backup / gimmick player.  Recall that when Howie drafted Hurts, in the last game we watched a 40 year old journeyman quarterback lose a playoff game after Wentz was hurt again. I still firmly believe that Hurts was an insurance policy in case we needed somebody to play QB, and so that we wouldn't be pulling guys off the street anymore.  I don't think he was drafted strictly as a backup.

It will be interesting for sure.  Never say never, but I seriously doubt we are picking a QB at #6.  Much more likely we pick either OL or WR. 

Agreed, but do the Eagles in 2013 draft Lane Johnson if there was a QB they felt was worth the 6th?  That’s the year I think only one QB went in the 1st round, EJ Manuel 12-14th pick range off the top of my head. If Howie believes one of these guys Fields, Wilson, or Lance is worth it, he’ll likely take one.  
 Cap and common sense wise they’d let Hurts play this year to see what they have in him, maybe draft one 4-5th round and sign the cheapest FA QB they can find as Hurts back up, something like that is what I’d like to see, but who knows what they want.

In two years if they’re picking 13-14th, then you’re gonna have to give up even more picks to draft a QB, again depending on how Hurts plays. 

5 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Nah.  Howie still foolishly thinks he drafted Russell Wilson last year.  

Always thought the Wilson comparison was dumb. What if someone in this draft reminds them even more of Wilson :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Always thought the Wilson comparison was dumb. What if someone in this draft reminds them even more of Wilson :lol:

Howie will draft Zach Wilson and try to force him to change his name to "Russell" so that Howie can proclaim that he drafted "Russell Wilson".

• Haha 2

Can't believe some people are gullible enough to believe that the Lowie QB factory will pass up on a chance to draft a QB at 6 or higher. Deep down every single one of you know it's gonna happen, the only question is will it be Fields or Lance.

8 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I don't think you'd need to trade beck into the 1st for Trask, I reckon there's a fair chance he's still there in round 3, but he'll definitely make it to 2 IMO.

That said it's not an outlandish suggestion that an incoming coach drafts his own guy, They mortgaged the farm for Wentz the year they appointed Doug.

The positions of biggest need on this team (interior o line, back end of the defense) are positions you can usually find decent talent on the second day anyway.

My biggest worry is they throw away #6 reaching for Trey Lance.

If Trask is there in the 3rd round I think Howie pulls the trigger on that.

It's not a question of needing to trade back to the first, it's a question of whether or not you want the 5th year option that comes with a 1st round pick.

And I'm not saying that I'm all that enthusiastic about Trask, I'm just saying that it would make sense if the Eagles organization was.   And I'm not saying that Trask won't be available in the 3rd, I'm just saying that if the Eagles organization is enthusiastic about him,  they might not want to cross their fingers and wait a round.  The difference in JJ points between a 3rd and a low first really isn't that much.

I like Hurts and I don't like the idea of taking a QB with the 6th at all.  

I'd have to think that people above Brian Johnson have to like some of the Florida players who are available..  I don't think he gets hired otherwise.  People talk about getting a WR with the 6,  I'd  think, at least maybe,  that they've looked very closely at the Gators offense and might like a whole bunch of those players.  I can make a case for Pitts, Trask, Toney and Grimes.   The Eagles will likely have much more specific ideas about each of those players and I'd be surprised if the Gators got none of them.    Toney was a high school QB,  he was used as a general weapon,  including running QB, and last year he was the leading receiver for the Gators.  it seems to me that adding Toney would be a good fit with the Hurts version of the offense.  Run first,  Toney is an additional weapon.  Mostly catches but can also run and throw.  The Eagles do have players - Ward Tate Jackson - who can do that too.  Who knows, it does seem to me at least that the Eagles can do these things with these players. 

Hurts has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a starter in the NFL. His accuracy while better than Wentz was still quite suspect and he needs to strengthen his arm and his mechanics to put more zip on the ball. He's a great runner but not enough of a passer currently to be successful in the NFL.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vileborg said:

Hurts has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a starter in the NFL. His accuracy while better than Wentz was still quite suspect and he needs to strengthen his arm and his mechanics to put more zip on the ball. He's a great runner but not enough of a passer currently to be successful in the NFL.

Hurts will be a really good franchise QB for us, we can be happy to have no issues at QB anymore moving forward.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

It's not a question of needing to trade back to the first, it's a question of whether or not you want the 5th year option that comes with a 1st round pick.

And I'm not saying that I'm all that enthusiastic about Trask, I'm just saying that it would make sense if the Eagles organization was.   And I'm not saying that Trask won't be available in the 3rd, I'm just saying that if the Eagles organization is enthusiastic about him,  they might not want to cross their fingers and wait a round.  The difference in JJ points between a 3rd and a low first really isn't that much.

I like Hurts and I don't like the idea of taking a QB with the 6th at all.  

I'd have to think that people above Brian Johnson have to like some of the Florida players who are available..  I don't think he gets hired otherwise.  People talk about getting a WR with the 6,  I'd  think, at least maybe,  that they've looked very closely at the Gators offense and might like a whole bunch of those players.  I can make a case for Pitts, Trask, Toney and Grimes.   The Eagles will likely have much more specific ideas about each of those players and I'd be surprised if the Gators got none of them.    Toney was a high school QB,  he was used as a general weapon,  including running QB, and last year he was the leading receiver for the Gators.  it seems to me that adding Toney would be a good fit with the Hurts version of the offense.  Run first,  Toney is an additional weapon.  Mostly catches but can also run and throw.  The Eagles do have players - Ward Tate Jackson - who can do that too.  Who knows, it does seem to me at least that the Eagles can do these things with these players. 

To be fair we had a 5th year option on Wentz and threw him a huge extension instead so I'm more worried about the evaluation being rigorous enough than having an extra year of rookie deal. 

Given the importance this organization under Howie and Lurie place in the position? Yeah I think there's a good chance. I think they will look at 4 QBs. Those being Lawrence, Fields, Wilson and Lance. One of those will be there for them at #6. So it just depends how much they like the guy(s) left. 

Hurts gives them almost the ideal situation. He's good enough that they don't need to pull the trigger this year if they don't love one of these guys. But he's not good enough to stop going for one if they do.