Jason La Canfora speculation: Deshaun Watson to Eagles?

Procus

I also read the Patriots are looking as well. Newton isn't the answer, but this move isn't Belichick's MO. 

Regardless, if it's the birds against any team Howie won't win. At the very least I hope he doesn't. That would throw rebuild mode out the window. And this team is more than a quarterback away from legitimately competing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There's no way the Eagles move for Watson. The trade price would be too high and the contract is too large. We can lock this one down. 

I don't think the contract actually is too large, but I agree the trade compensation would prolly be.

9 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Eagles can want him all he wants but he has a no trade clause and he isn't lifting it to get traded from one clown show to another. 

What, you don't think he'd want to play for Howie??  

:roll::roll:

This would get me excited for the season again. We would actually be competitive. How they gonna pay him though?

11 hours ago, eagle45 said:

😅

The ONLY way this makes sense is as an FU to Watson from Houston...punt him from one dumpster fire to another.  Also, this is pure and admitted speculation, rather than insider info.

And Watson would have to be on board with his no trade contract. 

10 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

LaCanfora still up to his old tricks.

Member LeVeon Bell to the Eagles? Antonio Brown to the Eagles?

PFR.jpg

🤯🤯🤯 Don sighting!!!

Remember Randy Moss? Megatron? Fitz at the airport

• Like 1

Eagles would have to clear another 15 million in cap space to take him on and have money to sign draft picks.

Then his 40 million dollar salary in 2022 would wipe out the Eagles cap space for 2022.

10 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Hi Don! How the hell are ya?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Eagles would have to clear another 15 million in cap space to take him on and have money to sign draft picks.

Then his 40 million dollar salary in 2022 would wipe out the Eagles cap space for 2022.

They could also tear up his deal and write a new one that has low cap hits in 2021 and 2022

16 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

They could also tear up his deal and write a new one that has low cap hits in 2021 and 2022

Why would he redo his deal with base salaries starting in 2022 of 35 million, 20 million, 32 million and 32 million.

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why would he redo his deal with base salaries starting in 2022 of 35 million, 20 million, 32 million and 32 million.

For a second, massive signing bonus and fully guaranteed payday in less than 12 months

6 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

For a second, massive signing bonus and fully guaranteed payday in less than 12 months

And for the deal to lower those cap numbers, his base salaries would have to be low once the massive signing bonus is spread out over the contract.  So you think he would come here and sign a new deal for less than the one he already has in place ??

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And for the deal to lower those cap numbers, his base salaries would have to be low once the massive signing bonus is spread out over the contract.  So you think he would come here and sign a new deal for less than the one he already has in place ??

You said he has 35m and 20m the next 2 years, right?

so we trade for him, give him 70m signing bonus on a 7 year deal, with league minimum salaries in 2021 and 2022.

he counts 11m against the cap each year with the prorated signing bonus and makes wayyyyy more than he would on the old contract over those 2 years.

that’s an extreme example, but there’s many different ways it can be manipulated like that

At least, we could feel confident that we have a QB.

15 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

At least, we could feel confident that we have a QB.

That’s an understatement, he’s second all time in career passer rating, and had an insane 70% completion percentage despite losing the best receiver on the planet AND leading the league in yards per attempt!

Kirk Cousins and Sam Bradford threw 70% completion by being checkdown heroes, Watson did it by going deep all game.

That’s unbelievable. League leader in passing yards as well. It wasn’t MVP Rodgers, wasn’t 40td Tom Brady, wasn’t Brees, wasn’t rivers, wasnt Allen.

Led the league in yards per attempt, led in yards passing, still only threw 7 picks. 70% completion, terrible team. Dude is beyond compare 

0F54E8D7-22DB-49E1-A792-B4C9F3AF3560.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Hi Don! How the hell are ya?

Hey. Not too bad, thank you for asking. How are things with you?

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Hey. Not too bad, thank you for asking. How are things with you?

I'm doing well considering the circumstances. I thought you retired from the EMB? We all knew you'd have to come back to the dark side eventually, haha. Did you just return recently, or have you been lurking here for awhile? This was the first I'd noticed you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

You said he has 35m and 20m the next 2 years, right?

so we trade for him, give him 70m signing bonus on a 7 year deal, with league minimum salaries in 2021 and 2022.

he counts 11m against the cap each year with the prorated signing bonus and makes wayyyyy more than he would on the old contract over those 2 years.

that’s an extreme example, but there’s many different ways it can be manipulated like that

You could only prorate the signing bonus over 5 years so he'd count a minimum of $14,825,000 against the cap in 2021 and $14,910,000 against 2022, his cap hits after that would be somewhere around $50Million a year guaranteed to make him sign the restructure and you can't prorate that signing bonus any further.

It's pie in the sky, we've plucked all the spare flesh off the cap space, cutting further you couldn't afford to field a roster under the cap.

1 hour ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I'm doing well considering the circumstances. I thought you retired from the EMB? We all knew you'd have to come back to the dark side eventually, haha. Did you just return recently, or have you been lurking here for awhile? This was the first I'd noticed you.

That's good man. Yeah, I had been in here a few times, but hadn't posted. I'll be around on and off, it won't be nearly as consistent as it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

That’s an understatement, he’s second all time in career passer rating, and had an insane 70% completion percentage despite losing the best receiver on the planet AND leading the league in yards per attempt!

Kirk Cousins and Sam Bradford threw 70% completion by being checkdown heroes, Watson did it by going deep all game.

That’s unbelievable. League leader in passing yards as well. It wasn’t MVP Rodgers, wasn’t 40td Tom Brady, wasn’t Brees, wasn’t rivers, wasnt Allen.

Led the league in yards per attempt, led in yards passing, still only threw 7 picks. 70% completion, terrible team. Dude is beyond compare 

0F54E8D7-22DB-49E1-A792-B4C9F3AF3560.jpeg

But how would he Do with JJawful and the practice squad heros who can’t catch? 

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

You could only prorate the signing bonus over 5 years so he'd count a minimum of $14,825,000 against the cap in 2021 and $14,910,000 against 2022, his cap hits after that would be somewhere around $50Million a year guaranteed to make him sign the restructure and you can't prorate that signing bonus any further.

It's pie in the sky, we've plucked all the spare flesh off the cap space, cutting further you couldn't afford to field a roster under the cap.

Ah, then what we could do is give him a 50m$ Signing bonus, and then at the onset of year 3 he gets a 20m$ roster bonus that’s fully guaranteed at signing.

But when 2023 comes around we restructure to convert that into a signing bonus, allowing it to prorate across the final 5 years of his deal

4 hours ago, downundermike said:

That's  why I'm trying not to let this trick me into getting my hopes up for a real QB. It doesn't add up. But what the noise tells me is at least the team is aware they need to do better than Hurts. 

11 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

That's  why I'm trying not to let this trick me into getting my hopes up for a real QB. It doesn't add up. But what the noise tells me is at least the team is aware they need to do better than Hurts. 

Whether they are truly happy with Hurts or not, there is zero actual noise about Watson and the Eagles. The only actual reported noise from the Eagles is that Lurie has told them to build around Hurts which suggests the exact opposite. 

These are the "quotes" from LaCanfora:

"No action for the Eagles," one GM said. "It has to be killing them."

Another GM said: "Would Howie trading for Watson surprise me? No. Now that you mention it."

So his "sources" aren't even claiming to have inside information. They are just purely speculating. Combine that with the Eagles cap situation and the desperation of some other teams, there is no way this is happening. Lazy and bad journalism from JLC

• Like 2