Jason La Canfora speculation: Deshaun Watson to Eagles?

Procus

12 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Whether they are truly happy with Hurts or not, there is zero actual noise about Watson and the Eagles. The only actual reported noise from the Eagles is that Lurie has told them to build around Hurts which suggests the exact opposite. 

These are the "quotes" from LaCanfora:

"No action for the Eagles," one GM said. "It has to be killing them."

Another GM said: "Would Howie trading for Watson surprise me? No. Now that you mention it."

So his "sources" aren't even claiming to have inside information. They are just purely speculating. Combine that with the Eagles cap situation and the desperation of some other teams, there is no way this is happening. Lazy and bad journalism from JLC

Exactly.  But people will push this topic likely to 5-6 pages, dissect the cap and how it could happen and all this.  It's exactly what these "journalists" want, to get click bait and attention, comments on social media.  it's only going to get worse as we get closer to the draft.

• Like 1

Jason La Canfora speculation:

But didn't he also speculate that the Eagles would never close their message board down?

8 hours ago, SPIDER-MAN said:

I also read the Patriots are looking as well. Newton isn't the answer, but this move isn't Belichick's MO. 

Regardless, if it's the birds against any team Howie won't win. At the very least I hope he doesn't. That would throw rebuild mode out the window. And this team is more than a quarterback away from legitimately competing.

😂 The Eagles aren’t looking into Watson at all. 

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

😂 The Eagles aren’t looking into Watson at all. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Howie actually reached out to the Texans regarding Watson, but there's no way Deshaun Watson is looking into the Eagles as a major upgrade over his current situation with the Texans 😂.. He has a no-trade clause for a reason.

At best, the Eagles are a marginal upgrade over the Texans. The Panthers look like a legitimate candidate to trade for Watson and have some nice pieces on offense. If the Bears didn't sign Andy Dalton after missing out on Russell Wilson, I'd add them to the list. This isn't the NBA, so I won't bank on a scenario where they include newly signed Andy Dalton in a trade package involving three 1st rounders plus other assets,  although Watson would automatically be the best QB in Bears history (like Wilson if he were moved there).

• Like 1

don't see it happening , this is a year the eagles need to stay out of the high salary player trades and FA market. they need to get the draft right in every round for starters , depth and young talent to develop. plus i like the idea of 2 1st rounder's next year.

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Howie actually reached out to the Texans regarding Watson, but there's no way Deshaun Watson is looking into the Eagles as a major upgrade over his current situation with the Texans 😂.. He has a no-trade clause for a reason.

At best, the Eagles are a marginal upgrade over the Texans. The Panthers look like a legitimate candidate to trade for Watson and have some nice pieces on offense. If the Bears didn't sign Andy Dalton after missing out on Russell Wilson, I'd add them to the list. This isn't the NBA, so I won't bank on a scenario where they include newly signed Andy Dalton in a trade package involving three 1st rounders plus other assets,  although Watson would automatically be the best QB in Bears history (like Wilson if he were moved there).

The rumor doesn’t even say the Eagles are inquiring. 

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

100%.  The Eagles aren't an upgrade for him in any way, so that makes the decision purely financial on his end.  He has no other reason to go through the hard times here.  

1 hour ago, vaeagle2 said:

don't see it happening , this is a year the eagles need to stay out of the high salary player trades and FA market. they need to get the draft right in every round for starters , depth and young talent to develop. plus i like the idea of 2 1st rounder's next year.

Get the draft right in every round?  Sure...its Howie pulling the trigger, so no chance of that.

Apparently there is a story out that he’s been accused of a sexual assault in Houston. Eagles aren’t touching him and the Eagles aren’t one of his teams of consideration. The Eagles aren’t even inquiring about him. None of this links.

https://news.yahoo.com/deshaun-watson-accused-sexual-assault-131551710.html

9 hours ago, vaeagle2 said:

I have some bad news for you...

No chance it happens but I would be fine with it.  Hes one of the top quarterbacks in the league and instantly makes the offense better.  But there is like a .0000000000000000000001% chance it happens.

I think Watson is kinda overrated. Like he's good, but not THAT good. What has he won?

6 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I think Watson is kinda overrated. Like he's good, but not THAT good. What has he won?

He put up comparable numbers to Patrick Mahomes last year while getting sacked 50 times behind an O Line that was worse than ours. I think his yardage last year was padded somewhat by the Texans constantly getting their ass kicked but his accuracy and ability to throw under pressure is as good as anyone in the league, and I do mean anyone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vaeagle2 said:

Getting the 1st pick right will be a huge step for Howie.  

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Getting the 1st pick right will be a huge step for Howie.  

The good news is, the higher the pick the less likely he'll get cute.  He's only picked in the top 4 picks 2 times, and only once below 20.  Ordered by highest pick:

• 2016 #2 : Carson Wentz
  • 2013 #4: Lane Johnson
  • 2017 #14: Derek Barnett

Now look at his 1st rounders at pick 20 and above:  no one here you would look back and say they are 1st round talent at their position.  Maybe Dillard if he develops into a starter.  He picks 2nd and 3rd round quality after pick 20.

• 2014 #26 : Marcus Smith
  • 2015 #20: Nelson Agholor (Chip was in control)
  • 2018 #32: traded back
  • 2019 #22: Andre Dillard
  • 2020 #21: Jalen Reagor

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Do they allow Rub N Tugs at the airport?

Yes!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It would be such a Philly thing to do:

Run Wentz out of town for being a "bad teammate" and taking the high road, but welcome a guy who cried his way out of Houston because he was not allowed to be a part of the front office and brought race into the grievance, in addition to having 3 pending sexual assault claims against him.  

Wentz ran himself out of town.   I don't want Watson either, though.   Who is to say he doesn't do to the Eagles exactly what he's doing to the Texans?

On 3/17/2021 at 4:18 PM, Portyansky said:

Wish I got paid to make stuff up....

Get a "journalism" degree.   It's a cinch.

At this point they're more likely to draft Justin Fields or Trey Lance at 6 than trade for Watson.

Interestingly enough, one of the player comps for Justin Fields is actually Deshaun Watson.

Personally I'd rather bolster another area with that 6th pick and use the season to better evaluate what we have in Jalen Hurts, but the FO may think one of these guys is the real deal and worth hitting the reset button at QB again.

With all that massage parlor litigation, Houston's asking price for Watson went down considerably.  Also may make him more toxic for teams looking to acquire him.

35 minutes ago, Procus said:

With all that massage parlor litigation, Houston's asking price for Watson went down considerably.  Also may make him more toxic for teams looking to acquire him.

All the more reason not to touch him. If some of this stuff turns out to be true he’s at best getting a suspension from the league. At worse he’s doing jail time. Hard pass. 

• Like 1