Jason La Canfora speculation: Deshaun Watson to Eagles?

Procus

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

All the more reason not to touch him. If some of this stuff turns out to be true he’s at best getting a suspension from the league. At worse he’s doing jail time. Hard pass. 

Yup he literally has no value you now. Not until this has been cleared up 

35 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yup he literally has no value you now. Not until this has been cleared up 

Not only is he a cap issue, but he seems to have a bad attitude and now sounds like kind of a creep. No chance the Eagles touch this dude. Far better chance the go after Wilson, and that chance is 2% at best. 

Apparently the attorney on this case, Tony Buzbee, was neighbors with the late Bob McNair and is friends with current ownership. He's also previously purchased billboard space in the past trying to convince the team to draft Johnny Manziel, being a TAMU alum himself. 

This skews towards conspiracy theory territory, but could there really be a smear campaign going on from within the organization to try to strong-arm Watson into staying by hurting his trade value? The timing of all these suits is a little suspicious to say the least. Why wait until now to file them?

On a much lesser scale, we've seen an example of a smear campaign in Philly when DeSean Jackson was initially cut in 2013 and stories came out in the local media about his alleged gang ties.

Now, there's still the possibility that the investigation following the lawsuit finds something legitimate, so it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

4 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Apparently the attorney on this case, Tony Buzbee, was neighbors with the late Bob McNair and is friends with current ownership. He's also previously purchased billboard space in the past trying to convince the team to draft Johnny Manziel, being a TAMU alum himself. 

This skews towards conspiracy theory territory, but could there really be a smear campaign going on from within the organization to try to strong-arm Watson into staying by hurting his trade value? The timing of all these suits is a little suspicious to say the least. Why wait until now to file them?

On a much lesser scale, we've seen an example of a smear campaign in Philly when DeSean Jackson was initially cut in 2013 and stories came out in the local media about his alleged gang ties.

Now, there's still the possibility that the investigation following the lawsuit finds something legitimate, so it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. 

Well it usually never ends well when there is multiple women saying it. 

23 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well it usually never ends well when there is multiple women saying it. 

I want everyone abusing women to be punished! But I have to say, when there is lots of money involved there pretty much always are plenty of accusers.

I feel bad even saying it. But its true.

If it's a smear campaign by the organization (BTW, it isn't one), they sure went for the home run shot by potentially ruining the guy on and off the field. It's more likely, that he has made some mistakes OR is just a creep.

32 minutes ago, Infam said:

I want everyone abusing women to be punished! But I have to say, when there is lots of money involved there pretty much always are plenty of accusers.

I feel bad even saying it. But its true.

I realize that, just saying usually with this kind of stuff when it's multiple it doesn't go well. That goes for non celebrities also. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

If it's a smear campaign by the organization (BTW, it isn't one), they sure went for the home run shot by potentially ruining the guy on and off the field. It's more likely, that he has made some mistakes OR is just a creep.

If what Watson said about the attorney asking for a 6 figure out of court settlement before filing is true, then I could believe it's a hustle, but when more women keep coming forward it becomes harder and harder to believe its a money thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If what Watson said about the attorney asking for a 6 figure out of court settlement before filing is true, then I could believe it's a hustle, but when more women keep coming forward it becomes harder and harder to believe its a money thing.

That's what she said.

Maybe now we can afford him and roll the dice this all blows over.

I don’t see how this would be a good play by Houston to attempt to smear their own player. They ruin his trade value and why in the world would he want to stay afterwards? Ironically these allegations make it even more clear why he might want out. This all seems far more true than false IMO.

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t see how this would be a good play by Houston to attempt to smear their own player. They ruin his trade value and why in the world would he want to stay afterwards? Ironically these allegations make it even more clear why he might want out. This all seems far more true than false IMO.

Watson can't be traded if no one wants him. Don't forget that the late Bob McNair openly made a comment comparing his players to "inmates" in the context of players influencing personnel decisions. The team is still owned by the McNair family and they may hold a similar viewpoint in that regard, even if they haven't made a public comment like that. Deshaun Watson has openly commented on his disappointment in not being involved in the GM hiring process and openly asked for a trade. That probably didn't sit well with ownership.

I'm not saying the Texans are smart for doing this (if it truly is a smear campaign), but I wouldn't put it past them to do something like this out of desperation, vengeance, etc...

Something seems fishy about all these allegations just suddenly coming out. Maybe they’re true, but something just seems off about this. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Something seems fishy about all these allegations just suddenly coming out. Maybe they’re true, but something just seems off about this. 

When it rains it pours. I'm waiting to start hearing of stories of when he was at Clemson. 

In the end I hope this isn't a hustle to get paid, false claims can ruin someone's life, but if even only 1 out of the 9 stories so far are true, then he deserves to be banned. But he won't. Nor will he likely do jail time. It's one story versus another at this point. 

Crazy ish man, I don't know why some most athletes nowadays put themselves in these situations. They literally ruin their own lives and futures for either drugs, women, fights, guns and hanging around the wrong people. All while being multi millionaires and having enough money for 3-4 generations. I just don't get it. 

• Like 1

Allegations aside I'm sure Watson would be thrilled to come to Philly who arguably had worse weapons last year than Houston did even after they traded away Hopkins. 

3 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

When it rains it pours. I'm waiting to start hearing of stories of when he was at Clemson. 

In the end I hope this isn't a hustle to get paid, false claims can ruin someone's life, but if even only 1 out of the 9 stories so far are true, then he deserves to be banned. But he won't. Nor will he likely do jail time. It's one story versus another at this point. 

Crazy ish man, I don't know why some most athletes nowadays put themselves in these situations. They literally ruin their own lives and futures for either drugs, women, fights, guns and hanging around the wrong people. All while being multi millionaires and having enough money for 3-4 generations. I just don't get it. 

If any of the stories turn out to be true he will be banned, there's no way Goodell would even try to get away with looking the other way for sporting considerations these days, the fact that the League has already requested information means they're taking it seriously.

• Like 2

Watson can't be traded if no one wants him. Don't forget that the late Bob McNair openly made a comment comparing his players to "inmates" in the context of players influencing personnel decisions. The team is still owned by the McNair family and they may hold a similar viewpoint in that regard, even if they haven't made a public comment like that. Deshaun Watson has openly commented on his disappointment in not being involved in the GM hiring process and openly asked for a trade. That probably didn't sit well with ownership.

I'm not saying the Texans are smart for doing this (if it truly is a smear campaign), but I wouldn't put it past them to do something like this out of desperation, vengeance, etc...

Watson can also make it so the Texans are paying him even though he’s not playing games for them. See how Jalen Ramsey faked injured his way out of Jacksonville. If this turns out to be some nonsensical smear campaign then the Texans would have a serious black eye on the entire organization. That makes the league look bad and the owners could push them out of ownership. This is less likely some fake smear talk and more likely some legs to this story. I never like it when accuses go civil over criminal, but they have their reasons for going that route. 

3 hours ago, Maga301 said:

Yes, usually if they get 1 to come forward then all the others that were afraid to now  have someone to back up their story and give them a voice. That's why I keep saying multiple women coming forward usually means they are in deep sheet. 

3 hours ago, Maga301 said:

Broke people do the same stuff bud. Rich people just have more money to usually cover their tracks. Also these college programs often cover this stuff up and protect these athletes who violate women. Heck look at that terrible situation in Penn State and how many people just looked the other way. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Really?  It becomes more apparent that it’s a money thing to me, everyone’s piling on the gravy train.

1 minute ago, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

Really?  It becomes more apparent that it’s a money thing to me, everyone’s piling on the gravy train.

The fact that a settlement was offered prior to filing the suit plus the decision to go with a civil suit rather than criminal one do suggest motivation by money, although the increased number of women filing claims could really go either way. Either more people are piling on the gravy train as you said, or maybe there is some shred of truth in these allegations?

It's an unfortunate situation, even if Watson is found innocent, he'll have to deal with this affecting his reputation.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Watson can also make it so the Texans are paying him even though he’s not playing games for them. See how Jalen Ramsey faked injured his way out of Jacksonville. If this turns out to be some nonsensical smear campaign then the Texans would have a serious black eye on the entire organization. That makes the league look bad and the owners could push them out of ownership. This is less likely some fake smear talk and more likely some legs to this story. I never like it when accuses go civil over criminal, but they have their reasons for going that route. 

Certainly possible with more people coming out with allegations that there's something to it; in a sad way, The Texans getting exposed for a smear campaign and forced into new ownership by the league might actually be the best thing for that franchise for the fans. They're dysfunctional at baseline with how O'Brien previously ran the team, the power of minister/executive VP Jack Easterby influencing roster decisions, and the late Bob McNair's "inmate" comments. I wouldn't be surprised if the other McNairs' shared a similar sentiment regarding their players.

The Texans' dysfunction makes you want to almost feel grateful for Howie (almost).

8 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Certainly possible with more people coming out with allegations that there's something to it; in a sad way, The Texans getting exposed for a smear campaign and forced into new ownership by the league might actually be the best thing for that franchise for the fans. They're dysfunctional at baseline with how O'Brien previously ran the team, the power of minister/executive VP Jack Easterby influencing roster decisions, and the late Bob McNair's "inmate" comments. I wouldn't be surprised if the other McNairs' shared a similar sentiment regarding their players.

The Texans' dysfunction makes you want to almost feel grateful for Howie (almost).

Just read there is now seven lawsuits against this dude. I don’t any team would touch this guy right now. On top of that the league will most certainly be involved. He’s completely untouchable while all this is going on. This to me seems a lot more than just some smear campaign by his own team and the lawyer of the accusers said he will be releasing texts from Watson. It will be interesting to see where it goes. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t any team would touch this guy right now. 

First the masseurs ... now teams are refusing to touch him ...

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

The fact that a settlement was offered prior to filing the suit plus the decision to go with a civil suit rather than criminal one do suggest motivation by money, although the increased number of women filing claims could really go either way. Either more people are piling on the gravy train as you said, or maybe there is some shred of truth in these allegations?

It's an unfortunate situation, even if Watson is found innocent, he'll have to deal with this affecting his reputation.

Sorry on the civil versus criminal point, a private individual can't file criminal charges and according to the accepted statistics only 384 of every 1000 rapes are reported, of that 384 only 57 will result in an arrest and only 11 will be taken to trial, so it is entirely possible that an incident could've been reported and not deemed worthy of investigation, the first report against Darren Sharper for example, it's believed that the Sheriif closed the investigation without ever arranging for the rape kits to be tested or formally interviewing Sharper. So the civil suit in and of itself isn't an indicator of motive. 

• Like 1