Eagles trade pick #6 and #156 to Miami for pick #12, #123, and a 2022 1st

Jenkins27

48 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Howie gets a lot of abuse on these boards (some of it very much justified), but he absolutely made the right call with this.

Chances are Pitts and Chase are both gone at 6. (Also have to remember that Miami only traded with San Fran once they had the trade with us - no guarantee they would have moved out otherwise and they would likely have taken Chase or Pitts)

Doesn't excuse JJAW, or the lack of investment on the D, or thinking we can compete in a season with Avante Maddox and Michael Jacquet as our CB2 and 3.

But this was a really good move.

I’ve always been fine with the trade. It’s hard to turn down a future first, especially from a team that could really go either way next year. The concern is as it’s always been. Howie finding good talent with the picks he actually makes. A few real difference makers and not just JAGs at best. 

24 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’ve always been fine with the trade. It’s hard to turn down a future first, especially from a team that could really go either way next year. The concern is as it’s always been. Howie finding good talent with the picks he actually makes. A few real difference makers and not just JAGs at best. 

Yeah agreed. But the hope is that Howie either produces or somebody else gets to make use of what we hope will be 3 firsts next year.

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah agreed. But the hope is that Howie either produces or somebody else gets to make use of what we hope will be 3 firsts next year.

I just can't see it. Howie is going to get this year and next.

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just can't see it. Howie is going to get this year and next.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Lurie has already taken a $34M hit to his wallet due to Howie's incompetence...

If fans refuse to go to games and buy merchandise with Howie being the primary motivator, then Lurie needs to step the F up and hold Roseman accountable for his gross negligence. 

Just now, Birdman said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Lurie has already taken a $34M hit to his wallet due to Howie's incompetence...

If fans refuse to go to games and buy merchandise with Howie being the primary motivator, then Lurie needs to step the F up and hold Roseman accountable for his gross negligence. 

And Lurie probably puts that on Doug and his coaches not Howie. Remember Howie is the master of preservation. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And Lurie probably puts that on Doug and his coaches not Howie. Remember Howie is the master of preservation. 

Wentz's extension is 100% on Howie, if Lurie is unable to get that through his thick skull, then this franchise is fuskered. 

1 minute ago, Birdman said:

Wentz's extension is 100% on Howie, if Lurie is unable to get that through his thick skull, then this franchise is fuskered. 

I really think Lurie will put that on the coaches. They didn't make the right moves to give Wentz the coaching he required. They didn't have a good creative offense. Things went stall.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I really think Lurie will put that on the coaches. They didn't make the right moves to give Wentz the coaching he required. They didn't have a good creative offense. Things went stall.

No way man, that absolutely gave Carson the hard-coaching he required back in 2017. 

It was until Carson got his way and the coddling began, then the offense went to crap...

Not saying that the FO isn't it at fault, because they reinforced Carson's behavior. 

27 minutes ago, Birdman said:

34m was the teams cap. When was the last time the Linc was empty (not including Covid). Merch is profit sharing. 

Jeff needs to want to be a champion. 

39 minutes ago, Birdman said:

No way man, that absolutely gave Carson the hard-coaching he required back in 2017. 

It was until Carson got his way and the coddling began, then the offense went to crap...

Not saying that the FO isn't it at fault, because they reinforced Carson's behavior. 

So they coached him hard and it worked. So they then let him pick the coach where he wasn't going to be coached hard? And they didn't address that. 

1 hour ago, Birdman said:

Are you kidding me? Fans are not going to stop buying merch because of a bad team. They never have and never will. Then add in that nobody went to the games last year and an entire country itching to get out, then if the stadiums are allowed at full capacity in September, that the Linc will be rocking.

The $34 million dollar hit was ill advised, but you do not dole out a contract like that without ownership being completely onboard. Lurie is as much to blame for it as Howie and he knows it.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So they coached him hard and it worked. So they then let him pick the coach where he wasn't going to be coached hard? And they didn't address that. 

Like I said, FO is partly responsible because they surrounded Wentz with useful idiots and comfort blankets. 

53 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Are you kidding me? Fans are not going to stop buying merch because of a bad team. They never have and never will. Then add in that nobody went to the games last year and an entire country itching to get out, then if the stadiums are allowed at full capacity in September, that the Linc will be rocking.

The $34 million dollar hit was ill advised, but you do not dole out a contract like that without ownership being completely onboard. Lurie is as much to blame for it as Howie and he knows it.

Oh please, stop passing off subjective opinion as fact. Consumers have always been provided the option to vote with their wallet. 

23 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Oh please, stop passing off subjective opinion as fact. Consumers have always been provided the option to vote with their wallet. 

Here comes the inflated self worth of the average consumer.

Tell me how many times in the history of the Philadelphia Eagles franchise that the fans stopped going to games, stopped buying merchandise all in protest of a GM to the point where the owner felt it in his or her wallet and decided to fire that GM?

I am trying to find out in the history of the entire NFL where that has ever happened. Even Matt Millen kept his job in Detroit after many years of fans wanting him out. Teams have moved from city to city looking for more lucrative stadium deals to line their pockets but I can not find a single case where fans have actually had any impact on the firing of a coach, GM or any other employee of an NFL team that was not related to some off the field incident. 

So please tell me when this has happened, especially during the past 40 years where the NFL has had massive TV contracts that are split evenly among all the teams.

9 hours ago, Birdman said:

Like I said, FO is partly responsible because they surrounded Wentz with useful idiots and comfort blankets. 

That's very true and absolutely fair. I'm just not sure Lurie will see it that way. I think he'll blame the coaches. I mean he already had as they lost their jobs. 

On 4/28/2021 at 9:14 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

I'm not sticking up for Howie but, how many teams had butt loads of picks in the first few rounds and actually did anything good with them? Browns, Rams, Raiders and Titans are all teams that got a ton of early picks for trading their 1st round and 2nd round picks. None of them have really done jack sheet 

Actually that tells me 2 things

#1 that our team is now associated with those losers

#2 this doesn't look good for Howie if other teams have also failed to capitalize on a draft pick haul

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm not sticking up for Howie but, how many teams had butt loads of picks in the first few rounds and actually did anything good with them? Browns, Rams, Raiders and Titans are all teams that got a ton of early picks for trading their 1st round and 2nd round picks. None of them have really done jack sheet 

Actually that tells me 2 things

#1 that our team is now associated with those losers

#2 this doesn't look good for Howie if other teams have also failed to capitalize on a draft pick haul

You pretty much nailed it with #1. We’ve worked our way down to the level of those teams. 

3 hours ago, kentwo said:

Rodgers also wants out

Apparently even MVP HOF players don't like their replacements being drafted while they're still playing.

Little bit of a difference between Rodgers and Wentz. Plus Green Bay drafted a QB in the first and he won the MVP. We drafted a QB in the second and Wentz turned into Jamarcus Russell.

4 hours ago, kentwo said:

Rodgers also wants out

Apparently even MVP HOF players don't like their replacements being drafted while they're still playing.

That makes him a weak, selfish, whiny, petulant child right? 

:whistle:

31 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Little bit of a difference between Rodgers and Wentz. Plus Green Bay drafted a QB in the first and he won the MVP. We drafted a QB in the second and Wentz turned into Jamarcus Russell.

You could also compare the two teams. GB had seven pro bowlers including four from the offense.

Context and situation is important when looking at things.

24 minutes ago, NOTW said:

He certainly seems like one. Rodgers sat for 3 seasons behind Favre, so it's not crazy to think his replacement could do the same, or even end up being traded.  

On 3/31/2021 at 10:05 PM, T-1000 said:

That is where you fail.

A. There are 6 teams who could be in on a QB. Jags, Jets, 49'ers, Panthers, Broncos, and possibly the Falcons as well.

B. Like I said, since you are obviously new to the draft I will help you learn. Teams are allowed to trade up with other teams that are outside of the top 10, and take a QB.

C. There are 11 teams/picks in front of the Eagles, not 10.

Lastly, I don't have a problem with your opinion being different than mine, I have a problem with it being a stupid ass opinion. The first three picks are locks to be QB's. The chances of two more QB's not going from picks 4-11 are slim to none if you know anything about the draft. You are new though, so I'm glad I could educate you. Free of charge too.

This must be your first draft

On 3/31/2021 at 7:05 PM, T-1000 said:

That is where you fail.

A. There are 6 teams who could be in on a QB. Jags, Jets, 49'ers, Panthers, Broncos, and possibly the Falcons as well.

That is where you fail.

On 3/31/2021 at 6:50 PM, T-1000 said:

5, possibly 6 teams in the top 10 need a QB considering Atlanta could possibly go in that direction. Either way are you new to the NFL draft or something. QB's always go higher than expected. Also, teams are allowed to trade up into the top 10 and take a QB. It's kind of cute how this is obviously your first NFL draft. Pay attention and maybe you'll learn something.

Apparently you should pay attention and learn something.  Only 3 QB's went in the Top 10.  And it took a trade up for Fields to go in the top 15.

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

Isn't the issue that he asked for an extension and the team stalled him, I mean if we'd drafted Hurts the year Wentz was supposed to get his big contract and Howie had hemmed and hawed (we'd be in a much better cap position now amirite?) then there might be similarities but Rodgers is the franchise guy, consensus top 3 at his position reigning MVP and Green Bay go 'I dunno man, we drafted Jordan Love last year maybe we don't need to pay you' he should be pissed. Also it should be pointed out that Love was the second time Green Bay have taken a QB in the 1st two rounds since Rodgers became starter.

People talk about all the offensive weapons Rodgers has,  Green Bay have taken no Receivers and one Tight End higher than the 4th round since drafting Devante Adams in 2014 and haven't drafted a receiver or tight end in the 1st round since 2002.

Hell if Wentz had played within light years of Aaron Rodgers level he'd have had a right to be pissed too.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

That is where you fail.

Apparently you should pay attention and learn something.  Only 3 QB's went in the Top 10.  And it took a trade up for Fields to go in the top 15.

But to be fair those posts seem to be from a month ago before CAR and DEN made trades for QBs.

Archived