NFL Draft Ongoing Discussion - grade the Eagles draft

Traveler Vic

2 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

All this shows is that even the healthiest guys get injured in the NFL.  A guy who's already had major injuries to both knees and both ankles before he ever makes it to the draft has shown that his connective tissue isn't strong.

Remember this quote:  "Hope is not a strategy when it comes to injuries."  That was Howie a couple of years ago, pointing out that when you bring in players that are injured, there's a higher risk they’ll get hurt again.

We spend a lot of time wringing our hands over the medical staff, wondering why our players seem to get injured more often than those of other teams.  Part of that is optics.  Every NFL team faces injuries.  But maybe part of it is that we don't make a point of drafting guys that have shown themselves to be durable.  Instead, our strategy seems to be guided by the thinking that a less durable guy who might be picked higher if he was healthy is somehow of greater value.  IMO that's a poor strategy.  A player has no value unless he can be relied upon to be on the field playing.

IMO, there should be no "strategy." No matter how much you would like to prevent injuries and hard you try to avoid them, you simply can't control them. I think you try your best to put together a talented team with depth. 

Unless you can show me video of all 4 injuries, I'm not going to blame his connective tissue. Lineman get rolled up on every week in football and leave with ligament injuries. Those are more about a freakish event than being injury prone. I'm not saying you're incorrect, but I haven't seen how the 1st 3 injuries happened. 

One thing I've noticed is that they must not be using Howie's Big Board exclusively, because they have not picked a single player from the PAC-12 yet!!! YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(although I suspect one is coming pretty soon...he can't help himself...maybe that tall possession receiver from Stanford, Simi Fehoko to replace that other tall NON-possession receiver from Stanford, JJAW at the X receiver position.) 

Bryan Mills is worth a shot in the 6th. Has all the tools but very raw and needs to be coached up. Showed decent ability at senior bowl

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Unless you can show me video of all 4 injuries, I'm not going to blame his connective tissue.

Fair enough.  There's nothing wrong with disagreeing.

I don't have video, of course.  But those injuries weren't concussions or pec tears.  They were all lower-body joints.  All four main lower body joints.  I see a pattern.

If you're right and he's not going to be an injury problem, then it may just be an outstanding pick.  Everything I see/read about his play on the field is tremendous.  While there were other players that I might have preferred, the injury history/concern is the only real concern.

Still a LOT of value available at pick 189 at quite a few different positions:

Patrick Johnson, Edge

Quincy Roche, Edge

Jonathan Cooper, Edge

Deonte Brown, G

Trey Smith, G

Thomas Graham, CB

Shemar Jean-Charles, CB

Talanoa Hufanga, S

Tay Gowan, CB

Israel Mukuamu, CB

Well as we move into the ST and PS portion of the draft I think we had a pretty good one. Minus the reach in the 4th..

3 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Well as we move into the ST and PS portion of the draft I think we had a pretty good one. Minus the reach in the 4th..

McPhearson wasn’t a reach. He had projections as high as the 3rd round. 

16 minutes ago, ilikepargo said:

Fair enough.  There's nothing wrong with disagreeing.

I don't have video, of course.  But those injuries weren't concussions or pec tears.  They were all lower-body joints.  All four main lower body joints.  I see a pattern.

If you're right and he's not going to be an injury problem, then it may just be an outstanding pick.  Everything I see/read about his play on the field is tremendous.  While there were other players that I might have preferred, the injury history/concern is the only real concern.

Also from a physiological standpoint injured connective tissue is easier to reinjure as the joint becomes inherently more unstable even after it heals. 

he is also a really heavy player at a position that is exposed to a lot of lower leg collisions. Not the type of situation you want with his injury history. 

5 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I'm not sure why you think McPhearson was a reach, he wasn't. PFF loved him, as did most analysts.

9 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Patrick Johnson, Edge

Quincy Roche, Edge

Jonathan Cooper, Edge

Deonte Brown, G

Trey Smith, G

Thomas Graham, CB

Shemar Jean-Charles, CB

Talanoa Hufanga, S

Tay Gowan, CB

Israel Mukuamu, CB

I type this and Jean-Charles and Hufanga immediately come off the board. Lol

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I type this and Jean-Charles and Hufanga immediately come off the board. Lol

Why is he slipping ??

0B716045-5F75-4CBF-867C-F103AC7B1B2F.jpeg

Tony Poljan is a solid TE. Worth the a shot in 6th

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why is he slipping ??

I think because he’s more of a prototypical in the box Strong S. Offers very little in coverage. 

14 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Patrick Johnson, Edge

Quincy Roche, Edge

Jonathan Cooper, Edge

Deonte Brown, G

Trey Smith, G

Thomas Graham, CB

Shemar Jean-Charles, CB

Talanoa Hufanga, S

Tay Gowan, CB

Israel Mukuamu, CB

Trey Smith may go undrafted with the blood clot history

Just now, Outlaw said:

I think because he’s more of a prototypical in the box Strong S. 

Would love him in the 6th

Just now, downundermike said:

Would love him in the 6th

I agree. 

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why is he slipping ??

Coming off a serious knee injury that took longer to recover than expected.  Howie should be all over this guy! 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

And Tay Gowan

Absolutely would love Gowan. Hamsah just went to the Jets. Would LOVE Tariq Thompson to the birds too. 

Just now, Outlaw said:

Absolutely would love Gowan. Hamsah just went to the Jets. Would LOVE Tariq Thompson to the birds too. 

And there goes Hamsah

Hamlin the Safety out of Pitt is still available. 

Eagles just acquired a 5th next year for one of our 6th and one of our 7th this year. 

Just now, Uscg-green said:

Hamlin the Safety out of Pitt is still available. 

Quiet.  Any time we mention a target he get picked.

Just now, downundermike said:

Quiet.  Any time we mention a target he get picked.

Lol good point

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why is he slipping ??

No one wants to type his name on a contract??

Archived