Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

8 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

When and how are you judging the coaching in all this? Are you even considering the difference of McVay versus a Urban Meyer offense? What is the ceiling of a Steichen/Siri offense? Especially come postseason and big games.

My judgment isn't important....that's where it's been difficult getting you to see this.    Lurie and Howie are the ones who judge.   If you think they are going to blame coach more than QB ...then we disagree.     I absolutely think the coaches get a shot with a new QB before the QB gets a new coach.    

But hey, after the shambles of 2020 and the poor WR room, with what you agree was a very young and green QB... I guess that coach gets zero credit in your eyes?    Which again doesn't matter... only Lurie and Howie's opinion matter.  Doubt they fire the coach and keep Hurts,but you are entitled to disagree if you want.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

5 year 70 million is a large chunk for a team that doesn’t possess any means to add talent.

Wow.... one player.   I mean...this just proves you were correct and I was wrong.   Eagles sign a bunch of guys.... didn't lose anyone of value...  but Dallas loses multiple guys  and offers $50 mil less for Miller.... and boy did you prove your point.   You showed me there...I'm so humbled by Dallas free agent signings the last decade.   Really wish the Eagles had managed the cap so well that they could do the same.

7 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

5 year 70 million is a large chunk for a team that doesn’t possess any means to add talent.

But my favorite part of your point...  this was the money designated to resign their own player.... you act like it was an actual addition.   Lol.

6 hours ago, joemas6 said:

My judgment isn't important....that's where it's been difficult getting you to see this.    Lurie and Howie are the ones who judge.   If you think they are going to blame coach more than QB ...then we disagree.     I absolutely think the coaches get a shot with a new QB before the QB gets a new coach.    

But hey, after the shambles of 2020 and the poor WR room, with what you agree was a very young and green QB... I guess that coach gets zero credit in your eyes?    Which again doesn't matter... only Lurie and Howie's opinion matter.  Doubt they fire the coach and keep Hurts,but you are entitled to disagree if you want.

Dodging the whole question. How capable are these offensive minds? I was very unimpressed with the offensive and defensive strategies going into last season. Gannon had better personnel than they performed. Guess the thinking is he didn’t have his type guys. Now he added plenty of those. Offensively Siri turned things over to Steichen to lead the O forward with any competency.

32 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Dodging the whole question. How capable are these offensive minds? I was very unimpressed with the offensive and defensive strategies going into last season. Gannon had better personnel than they performed. Guess the thinking is he didn’t have his type guys. Now he added plenty of those. Offensively Siri turned things over to Steichen to lead the O forward with any competency.

What??? We gave Gannon ZIP like we gave Schwartz and expect him to work miracles. We got Gannon Mr. SLAY which was more effort than we gave Schwartz. Now we finally got a few defensive pieces added. Why don't we see what Gannon can do with actual players with talent before we go bashing and bishing??? yes the team idea is to SCORE points. Of course you and others bashed me for asking for ONE MORE TD PER GAME. Impossible,cannot be done. We're DOOOOOOOMED 1 TD more by the O,1 less TD by the D and we are in good position.

26 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not dodging the question at all.   I agree the offensive roster lacked the receiving weapons last year....for that,I'm on your side more than most on here.   The QB we agree was very inexperienced.   

Those are obstacles any coach on the offensive side had to overcome.    Whether it's you who focus solely on everything else other than the QB.....or people who see the QB'S weaknesses. We all can agree that the offensive coaches were not dealt the best hand last year. 

Really the whole fanbase wanted to run the ball 75% of the time because they wanted to avoid our poor passing QB,throwing to our poor weapons.   The limitations the coaches had to work with last year were very real.  

That said.... I think it's obvious that coaching is a question... because we don't know how these guys will do with an actual talented roster.    

As the " next gen" website that you agree 100% with ( when it works for you)  they had the Eagles ranked as the 7th best roster.  So we shall see how these 2nd year coaches do.   

For me, if things go south or there is perception of underachieving....  more will be put on the QB ( from the owner and GM, the only 2 that matter)

6 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Not dodging the question at all.   I agree the offensive roster lacked the receiving weapons last year....for that,I'm on your side more than most on here.   The QB we agree was very inexperienced.   

Those are obstacles any coach on the offensive side had to overcome.    Whether it's you who focus solely on everything else other than the QB.....or people who see the QB'S weaknesses. We all can agree that the offensive coaches were not dealt the best hand last year. 

Really the whole fanbase wanted to run the ball 75% of the time because they wanted to avoid our poor passing QB,throwing to our poor weapons.   The limitations the coaches had to work with last year were very real.  

Plus Sanders was hurt some,not 100%, so the running game was not 100% either. Scott is a fine solid RB,but he isn't Sanders. I suspect we will run better than last year and get Sanders some TD carries since he scored ZERO TD's last year. With the dual outside threat at WR,the running game should come easier as teams cannot stack the box now

It seemed like it was just that obvious to come into last season relying on running the ball as a strength. Both G going down early should have stressed it even more. Major mistake coming in admitting trying to out shootout the Cowboys. Completely outcoached in the playoff game. Major question marks for me on the capabilities of this coaching staff. Some lumps were expected from such a green staff. I think they have tons they need to prove this season. I feel Hurts is obviously going to remain the starter here. So I’m the opposite on your point….think the coaches gotta prove themselves.

6 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It seemed like it was just that obvious to come into last season relying on running the ball as a strength. Both G going down early should have stressed it even more. Major mistake coming in admitting trying to out shootout the Cowboys. Completely outcoached in the playoff game. Major question marks for me on the capabilities of this coaching staff. Some lumps were expected from such a green staff. I think they have tons they need to prove this season. I feel Hurts is obviously going to remain the starter here. So I’m the opposite on your point….think the coaches gotta prove themselves.

I think both the coaches and the QB need to prove everything.  None if them have really accomplished anything IMO.  But I think failure will lead to a new QB with Lurie and Howie in charge.   The coach will get his chance with a new QB.    If success,  then they both stay 

It's pretty sad when one thinks that a coach is worse than the player....because the coach calls a play where the player has to perform his basic duty.   Sooner or later the QB will have to throw.  You can't avoid it, especially in a playoff game at Tampa.

On 7/9/2022 at 1:22 PM, brkmsn said:

Acting like we can't discuss or compare football to different "eras" is kind of a joke. Regardless of any subtle changes that have occurred over the years, young players still need time to grow and develop into the better players they eventually became. This is not an era-specific phenomenon. The main things that have changed over the years is the number of pass attempts has increased and TEs and RBs are more important to the passing game than they used to be. These changes began decades ago, though. It's comical to me how people act like the NFL is so much different at the end of Brees' career than at the beginning. It really is not. Regardless of my opinions on football over the "eras," it will always  be normal for young players (especially QBs) to take time to develop. Those that come in and impress from day 1 are the rare exception, not the norm. 

Lmao it’s comical to me you can’t see the difference in the game from 20 years ago to now. 
It’s a joke you don’t see young QBs coming into the league finding success way earlier. mahomes year 2 throws for 50 tds first season as a start, Burrow, Watson, Herbert, Murray, Wilson, Luck, Mac, Yea it’s way more of a norm for young QBs to come into the league and find success 

19 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The D was meh I’ll say that the O wasn’t terrible plays were there to be made and lot of times the players failed to execute. Be it hurts missing guys or guys dropping passes. 

The O was not perfect has room to grow on the coaching front some tweaks to be made but it wasn’t horrible either. 

On 7/9/2022 at 6:24 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

What is the ceiling of a Steichen/Siri offense? Especially come postseason and big games.

As high as the players that execute the plays. If you have guys dropping passes when they are open and QB missing reads and passes. The O going to look bad. 

Again I seen numerous opportunities missed in that playoff game for our O. It was just an all around bad game. But I can’t blame the coaches if those plays were there to be made. That’s on the players for not executing 

1 hour ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Lmao it’s comical to me you can’t see the difference in the game from 20 years ago to now. 
It’s a joke you don’t see young QBs coming into the league finding success way earlier. mahomes year 2 throws for 50 tds first season as a start, Burrow, Watson, Herbert, Murray, Wilson, Luck, Mac, Yea it’s way more of a norm for young QBs to come into the league and find success 

Mahomes' early success was not normal and he hasn't exactly improved on it or even duplicated it. Murray was even worse in his first playoff game than Hurts. Luck wasn't bad, but his 1st 2 seasons were far from special. Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbart, Christian Ponder, RG3, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Mitchell Trubisky, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, headline a list of 1st round QBs drafted that didn't convince their original team they could continue to improve or sustain success. That is the norm. Having early success is noteworthy, but meaningless if it isn't built upon. Then you have Lawrence, Wilson, Lance and Fields, none of which lived up to any hype at this point. Mac Jones was solid, but that's what you want to hang your hat on?

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Mahomes' early success was not normal and he hasn't exactly improved on it or even duplicated it. Murray was even worse in his first playoff game than Hurts. Luck wasn't bad, but his 1st 2 seasons were far from special. Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbart, Christian Ponder, RG3, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, EJ Manuel, Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Mitchell Trubisky, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, headline a list of 1st round QBs drafted that didn't convince their original team they could continue to improve or sustain success. That is the norm. Having early success is noteworthy, but meaningless if it isn't built upon. Then you have Lawrence, Wilson, Lance and Fields, none of which lived up to any hype at this point. Mac Jones was solid, but that's what you want to hang your hat on?

No doubt the QBs show better grasp of a playbook and better skills....  more so today than before....  when we are talking in their first couple of years.    

Year 3 for Hurts is this year.  I don't think the front office will continue to have much patience, he needs to show some signs that he can handle the job and do the basics.

Just now, joemas6 said:

No doubt the QBs show better grasp of a playbook and better skills....  more so today than before....  when we are talking in their first couple of years.    

Year 3 for Hurts is this year.  I don't think the front office will continue to have much patience, he needs to show some signs that he can handle the job and do the basics.

I don't believe the NFL has changed as much as people want others to think, when comparing players of the past to today, but I do believe the college game has transformed a lot (at the coaching level) which makes QBs and WRs a little more prepared for the NFL as rookies than in the "old days."

The FO needs to make the right decision. If you are developing a player that needs more time, you have to give him more time. If the player isn't showing signs of growth or taking to the  coaching, you move on. Moving on is an even bigger risk, though. So if your project is developing at a reasonable rate, you keep going forward with it. 

24 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I don't believe the NFL has changed as much as people want others to think, when comparing players of the past to today, but I do believe the college game has transformed a lot (at the coaching level) which makes QBs and WRs a little more prepared for the NFL as rookies than in the "old days."

The FO needs to make the right decision. If you are developing a player that needs more time, you have to give him more time. If the player isn't showing signs of growth or taking to the  coaching, you move on. Moving on is an even bigger risk, though. So if your project is developing at a reasonable rate, you keep going forward with it. 

Correct... that is pretty much the point, that the QBs are more prepared coming in today.... than say when Dan Fouts entered the league.   Basically the point is for Hurts year 3, it's not an acceptable excuse.

QBs are more prepared than Peyton Manning was? Is that the point supposedly here?

Some of things are actually backwards. The NFL has been borrowing more from the college game.

Reporters, analysts, Twitter trolls. All those people are gonna take their words back on what they said about [Tua]. I'm gonna be sitting there, eating my popcorn."

Cheetah on Tua

Get your popcorn ready!!!!! Hahaha

Wonder if Robbie Anderson is a trade candidate? He dogged Baker and now they traded for him.

Also wondering what’s the difference between Seumalo and Awosika/Jack Anderson? 

Archived