Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

Wow... some negative feedback on Hurts coming out.  Derrick Gunn and Barrett Brooks, two guys that are plugged in to the day to day.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2022 at 2:26 PM, brkmsn said:

I honestly don't feel like Hurts is lacking in "brains." I do believe he has a lot to learn and so far, has relied on his feet when things get uncomfortable. But coaching and experience both should help him get more comfortable. If he's as smart as I believe he is, he'll learn from his mistakes and watching film and improve in the areas he clearly needed to improve in based on last season. 

I heard on the radio this morning, a Eagles beat reporter asked a teammate how hurts was progressing. The reply he got was. "Hurts did a 10 play set. During that set he threw 3 interceptions, 4 incomplete passes and was sacked 3 times. I think he still has a ways to go." Granted, it was just a 10 play window and it is early. Way too early to judge on anything. But it does not instill any comfort that Hurts has made progress over last season. At least not what I was hoping for.....

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2022 at 7:24 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

When and how are you judging the coaching in all this? Are you even considering the difference of McVay versus a Urban Meyer offense? What is the ceiling of a Steichen/Siri offense? Especially come postseason and big games.

Coaching has nothing to do with how accurate you are as a QB. Coaching cannot help if a QB takes off after the first read is not there. Yes, coaching helps with reading defenses. But hurts worked on this all off season with a QB guru. No excuse not being able to read defenses now. There may be a few that surprise him, but over all he should do fine.

On 6/22/2022 at 6:31 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

I believe if you free and open up your cap then you really give yourself the opportunity to maintain a championship window. Nothing wrong with going down this path once you are contending. Doing it to try and win another game or two is more crippling than assisting anything.

UH,so we freed cap up and signed Alshon and Djax,both of whom got hurt. So what do you do now,go sign more guys? I mean you are using hind sight again. They make decisions for the FUTURE,but you can't account for injuries. So you need a balance and every team has caps issues and made some bad calls. We are no different. I always opt for building through drafting,not signing vets, although once again,you have to have unless you are spot on perfect at drafting(which we weren't for a long time). No complaints about the last 2 drafts.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:17 AM, brkmsn said:

I don't believe the NFL has changed as much as people want others to think, when comparing players of the past to today, but I do believe the college game has transformed a lot (at the coaching level) which makes QBs and WRs a little more prepared for the NFL as rookies than in the "old days."

The FO needs to make the right decision. If you are developing a player that needs more time, you have to give him more time. If the player isn't showing signs of growth or taking to the  coaching, you move on. Moving on is an even bigger risk, though. So if your project is developing at a reasonable rate, you keep going forward with it. 

Oh I disagree. IDK how old you are,but it changed ALOT. First off players used to play for 300.00 a game,now you have multi zillion dollar contracts. There was never cap continuity,that was never a thought until these huge contracts started up,which BTW made then change the RULES for more parity. Would Dick Butkus make the HOF if he had to play by todays rules? Used to be TOUGH guys,now we have Prima Donnas whose contracts need to be catered to. There are no "electric return" guys anymore since once again they changed the KO rules(I miss the return game and HATED this change and still do). TE has changed ALOT too(I was a TE in HS). They get a TON more usage than they used to. I agree college makes them more NFL ready,for alot of the above reasons. To succeed in the NFL you have to be ready to go,so colleges go all out to recruit players. before you had a few dominant teams. USC,UCLA,OSU,ND,Purdue. Now you have smaller schools competing. team like Cincy Coastal carolina etc. So,for me the changes over the decades are many. The level of play has been far and away refined over the years. IDK how far you are going here. Back then RB's were not required to catch,not it's almost a necessity. I can go on and on lol

On 7/11/2022 at 9:13 AM, cunninghamtheman said:

Wonder if Robbie Anderson is a trade candidate? He dogged Baker and now they traded for him.

Trade to whom?

48 minutes ago, stine said:

I heard on the radio this morning, a Eagles beat reporter asked a teammate how hurts was progressing. The reply he got was. "Hurts did a 10 play set. During that set he threw 3 interceptions, 4 incomplete passes and was sacked 3 times. I think he still has a ways to go." Granted, it was just a 10 play window and it is early. Way too early to judge on anything. But it does not instill any comfort that Hurts has made progress over last season. At least not what I was hoping for.....

Welp,luckily the FO has planned ahead if he can't cut it. There are zero excuses for Hurts now,which we have been telling Ham about,but i'm not starting that BS up again. Strong was a HIGHLY rated draft pick until he got hurt. We have a potential round 1 QB in him. Nothing wrong with Shew either. I have stated I like him better for THIS TEAM over Hurts. If Hurts falters and Shew falters and Strong shows us nothing,we are set to take a franchise QB in the next draft. IDK what else to say except NICE WORK by the FO in planning ahead. We need a good QB because we have invested for one at other positions. So it's put up time for Hurts,Shew can cover(like him better for us anyhow) and we have Strong,so 3 QB's that are capable of leading this team with the shot at a franchise next year if NONE work out as planned. Very pleased with the QB situation and how well they planned ahead for any alternatives. Well done IMO

IMO Shew is the better passer of the 2. I know he wants to play.  He played with a trash team before,he would do well. I wish we had wised up and started him over Hurts. Time will tell,but anything less than 10-11 wins with the(once again) easy schedule is a fail. If Smith and AJ don't get 1,000 yards EACH,that is a FAIL. The running game is the same running game and if Sanders cannot score TD"s that is a FAIL. Once again bashed for asking for ONE MORE TD per game. Nope can't be done right? With the weaponry and investments we made it is NECESSARY that we DO that. The upgraded D will give them more chances to do that as well. 31 points per game(average MINIMUM) is what I am looking for. 5 TD's per game should not be out of the question despite some saying it cannot be done. DOOOOOOOOMED. 1 TD per quarter and 3 FG's per game=34 points. That would take us deep in the playoffs. If Hurts falters early,I hope we don't wait for WEEKS to make a change. I'm giving him 4 weeks,no more. I hope this is the FO mindset too

1 hour ago, stine said:

Relax! Just means the D got better LOL

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IMO Shew is the better passer of the 2. I know he wants to play.  He played with a trash team before,he would do well. I wish we had wised up and started him over Hurts. Time will tell,but anything less than 10-11 wins with the(once again) easy schedule is a fail. If Smith and AJ don't get 1,000 yards EACH,that is a FAIL. The running game is the same running game and if Sanders cannot score TD"s that is a FAIL. Once again bashed for asking for ONE MORE TD per game. Nope can't be done right? With the weaponry and investments we made it is NECESSARY that we DO that. The upgraded D will give them more chances to do that as well. 31 points per game(average MINIMUM) is what I am looking for. 5 TD's per game should not be out of the question despite some saying it cannot be done. DOOOOOOOOMED. 1 TD per quarter and 3 FG's per game=34 points. That would take us deep in the playoffs. If Hurts falters early,I hope we don't wait for WEEKS to make a change. I'm giving him 4 weeks,no more. I hope this is the FO mindset too

Too much worrying about stats.   Just focus on the eye test.  How does the whole offense look is what matters that will reflect more on the QB than any individual stats by Browm, Smith or Sanders.    

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Welp,luckily the FO has planned ahead if he can't cut it. There are zero excuses for Hurts now,which we have been telling Ham about,but i'm not starting that BS up again. Strong was a HIGHLY rated draft pick until he got hurt. We have a potential round 1 QB in him. Nothing wrong with Shew either. I have stated I like him better for THIS TEAM over Hurts. If Hurts falters and Shew falters and Strong shows us nothing,we are set to take a franchise QB in the next draft. IDK what else to say except NICE WORK by the FO in planning ahead. We need a good QB because we have invested for one at other positions. So it's put up time for Hurts,Shew can cover(like him better for us anyhow) and we have Strong,so 3 QB's that are capable of leading this team with the shot at a franchise next year if NONE work out as planned. Very pleased with the QB situation and how well they planned ahead for any alternatives. Well done IMO

Welp, if Hurts blows this year, I hope Strong gets reps by December so we can see if he can cut it. Would help us make decisions for next draft....

https://heavy.com/sports/philadelphia-eagles/jimmy-smith-free-agency/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Philadelphia Eagles July 12&utm_content=Philadelphia Eagles July 12+CID_56176369bafdecd9541ee3ec830721c9&utm_source=Campaign Monitor&utm_term=Click here for the full story

53 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Too much worrying about stats.   Just focus on the eye test.  How does the whole offense look is what matters that will reflect more on the QB than any individual stats by Browm, Smith or Sanders.    

eye test doesn't put points on the scoreboard. Jimmy Smith would be a great add

18 minutes ago, stine said:

Welp, if Hurts blows this year, I hope Strong gets reps by December so we can see if he can cut it. Would help us make decisions for next draft....

Yeah and I hope they get Shew in there before the season goes too far if Hurts isn't cutting it. Strong could at least be our #2 I would imagine. depends if he can come back 100%

4 hours ago, stine said:

Not what happened. But it was 7 on 7 with backups. So a sack isn’t even possible. It wasn’t a teammate from anything I’ve heard either. But whatever….June minicamp ….10 plays…don’t care that much. Everything else I’ve heard has been about how markedly improved Hurts looks. Media guys…especially in Gunn’s position, losing his job, need some kind of click bait this time of year.

4 hours ago, stine said:

Coaching has nothing to do with how accurate you are as a QB. Coaching cannot help if a QB takes off after the first read is not there. Yes, coaching helps with reading defenses. But hurts worked on this all off season with a QB guru. No excuse not being able to read defenses now. There may be a few that surprise him, but over all he should do fine.

Of coarse coaching matters. Sets the bar for even how high the offense can go. You believe that any player will perform equally regardless of coaching now?

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

UH,so we freed cap up and signed Alshon and Djax,both of whom got hurt. So what do you do now,go sign more guys? I mean you are using hind sight again. They make decisions for the FUTURE,but you can't account for injuries. So you need a balance and every team has caps issues and made some bad calls. We are no different. I always opt for building through drafting,not signing vets, although once again,you have to have unless you are spot on perfect at drafting(which we weren't for a long time). No complaints about the last 2 drafts.

So signing DJax and Malik….guaranteeing another season of Alshon were wise moves in your book? They were bad moves IMO. Not hindsight since I said it then….and ever since. But where were we going in 2019 and 2020? I just don’t believe in spend spend spend. It was the very logical time to clear cap so the future could more rapidly flourish. Seems very obvious in hindsight….some still don’t see it…but I’ve been saying it since it was happening. So don’t play me on hindsight here.

Only one player capable of leading this team. Shew could fill in for a game….he’s no leader. 

Top offense in the league you’d think would give us a decent shot in the postseason

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

On the QB and Coaches….but…yep. If the defense is pitching a shutout I’m not feeling a massive need to keep pushing the offense to continue taking deep shots. I don’t even really want to push Goedert, AJ or Smitty late in a blowout game. Do I need two more TDs by AJ at the end of a blowout victory? Especially if he ends up limping through the next several games. If we are getting beat down every game and behind all season our passing stats would most likely be at their highest. Not what I desire.

CBS ranked Siri as 16th best HC. Two spots ahead of McCarthy at least.

Of coarse the main thing holding dallas back has been there HC-ing.

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Oh I disagree. IDK how old you are,but it changed ALOT. First off players used to play for 300.00 a game,now you have multi zillion dollar contracts. There was never cap continuity,that was never a thought until these huge contracts started up,which BTW made then change the RULES for more parity. Would Dick Butkus make the HOF if he had to play by todays rules? Used to be TOUGH guys,now we have Prima Donnas whose contracts need to be catered to. There are no "electric return" guys anymore since once again they changed the KO rules(I miss the return game and HATED this change and still do). TE has changed ALOT too(I was a TE in HS). They get a TON more usage than they used to. I agree college makes them more NFL ready,for alot of the above reasons. To succeed in the NFL you have to be ready to go,so colleges go all out to recruit players. before you had a few dominant teams. USC,UCLA,OSU,ND,Purdue. Now you have smaller schools competing. team like Cincy Coastal carolina etc. So,for me the changes over the decades are many. The level of play has been far and away refined over the years. IDK how far you are going here. Back then RB's were not required to catch,not it's almost a necessity. I can go on and on lol

Actually, the cap was a necessity once the courts forced the NFL to have free agency. 

As for the changes to the NFL over the years --- it's been mostly due to the innovation in the passing game. We had teams in the old days that loved to pass. The Chargers during "Air Coryell" had a great group of receivers including TE, Kellen Winslow. The Raiders had Todd Christensen at TE in the early to mid 80s. Dan Marino passed for over 5000 yards in 1984. The thing is, it was the balanced teams with good defenses that won championships. So the rest of the league wasn't modeling their teams after the Chargers or Dolphins. Bill Walsh brought a lot of new concepts into passing games with the WCO, and had success, but he still had a balanced offense and a great defense. He showed that HBs, FBs, and TEs can all be factors in the passing game and defenses would often be forced into mismatches in coverage. A lot of coaches over the next two decades came from that coaching tree and eventually you had guys like Andy Reid that said Short passes were an extension of the running game. Eventually FBs were all but phased out of the NFL. Teams now want more than 1 TE that can catch. Analytics has become a huge part of play-calling now. Base defenses now often start games with 5 DBs on the field. Naturally, short passes have increased and are being designed to "pick" defenders. Because of the increase in short passes, completion percentages have gone up. NFL talent evaluators prefer coverage skills in DBs to tackling skills, so we have seen less physicality in the average CB's play. All that leads to today's NFL. 

So, philosophically, there has been continual change. But football can still be played with the old philosophies. We all know that the NFL brought in a bunch of "player safety" rules that have changed how you can hit, but those hits still happen and they just tack on penalty yards. Back to my point about old philosophies ... I was extremely interested in what Harbaugh was doing in Baltimore. There's no doubt in my mind that if the Ravens right now had the defense they had in 2000, they would be dominating games with their current offensive philosophy. Defenses have adapted to try to counter the trending offensive philosophies (I.e. defending the pass) and have almost been daring teams to run on them. Heck, even the Eagles took advantage of this last season and turned their season around. If a team like the Ravens, the Titans, or the Eagles wins a Super Bowl by relying on the ground game, you will see other teams begin to shift philosophies again. The bottom line is it doesn't make sense to pass against a team that can't stop the run. That's why I wasn't excited about the signing of Nnamdi Asomugha. People were saying he was great because teams weren't passing his way --- that's because opponents were averaging 5 yards per run against the Raiders. There was no reason to throw it --- period. 

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So signing DJax and Malik….guaranteeing another season of Alshon were wise moves in your book? They were bad moves IMO. Not hindsight since I said it then….and ever since. But where were we going in 2019 and 2020? I just don’t believe in spend spend spend. It was the very logical time to clear cap so the future could more rapidly flourish. Seems very obvious in hindsight….some still don’t see it…but I’ve been saying it since it was happening. So don’t play me on hindsight here.

LMAO wow you can foresee who is a bad pick when you make it? why don't you lend your crystal ball to the FO so they know in advance

Archived