Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

51 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

I don't think I'm minimizing it.....I think the incentive should be getting to the playoffs and a chance to win a super bowl........the regular season should be the qualifier with no team getting additional advantage just because they finished with a better record.  New England is a perfect example of this being a unfair advantage......the've played in the worst dvision in football for 15 years.....they pile on wins against weak divisional opponents that almost always gave them the HF advantage and first round byes.  Why should they be rewarded for that?

Having 3 home playoff games should be incentive enough.....giving them an extra week of rest is excessive.

Welcome to the board birdman, I really enjoyed driving through your state and visiting lots of sites. We drove the whole length of scenic route 100 .  We also watched the Lipizzan Stallions perform at North Hero on Lake Champlain. Can't forget Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream factory either. LOL You sure live in a beautiful state.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The league doesn’t care about more minimum wage players but so much. They set their split between the owners and players. They have the players a little bigger piece of the pie. But they really upped the pie as a whole in doing it. Extra regular season week and two extra playoff games ...cha ching.

Ham... lol.  Big picture business.   You can't see where it's going??    You are so focused on the Rams and Steelers last year and New England getting a bye.  And a meaningless preseason game ...lol

Add it all up.  $$$$$$   more minimum wage players is great for the owners.  The players vote on majority.  The more players that are just happy to be in the league and making the minimum.. the more votes the owners will get when they throw them some crumbs.    Here is a nice $100k raise and we can even take away some padded practices for you... Mr. " I'm just happy to be in the league and not have to find a real job for another year"   

These guys make good money compared to the regular guy.   Owners will want to expand the season and playoffs.  Another week plus adding another 2 games to make it 8 over the wildcard weekend... would be $$$$$$. 

But hey...the fans are happy because the trade off will be losing the 3rd preseason game.  Getting it down to 2 games nobody cares about is great. 

Lord, No Mas, already jumping right past 14 playoff teams to 16 playoff teams. You are going into sky is falling mode here a little too much. I don’t think this part is happening. Relax...the two seed actually has to play week one of the playoffs...not a bad thing....nothing but a more fair playing field. Big props to the one seed for earning the perks. We saw the flaw in the system that the Pats exposed. A weak division and a top team can get a massive advantage. They cut out that loop hole. Gotta earn the trip to the SB now.

Ham...this was the original plan buddy.  The 17 games and 7 teams was the "compromise "     look at how the vote went from the players.    The minimum wage guys are the majority... now that majority increased.  For sure that is beneficial for the owners looking for the next steps.  $$$$$$   Seriously, I'm disappointed you can't see 2 feet in front of you on this one.   Idk.. maybe you were scouting LBs is the Mountain Sky conference when all this stuff was going on with the CBA?  

4 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

I don't think any teams should get a bye.......that's bullsh--.  You make the playoffs or you don't.  You earn homefield advantage, that's it.  The NFL is a grind and at that point in the season, every team is banged up.....  In a league where injuries, bad calls, bad scheduling or a crazy bounce, one or two games could make a big difference.  But to give a team home field advantage AND a week off is simply stacking the deck for the favorites.  

They should have gone to 8 playoffs teams per conference.  Division winners and then the next 4 best records.....then they get seeded by record.  The best record plays the worst and so on.

3 weeks of fair playoff football and then the super bowl.  To win a super bowl, you need to win 4 straight games.  Earning it.

It's coming next with an 18 game schedule..don't worry.  But hey only 2 preseason games!  

Seems like you are minimizing the regular season there Birdman. I like the extra incentive to earn that top seed and get a bye. 

Yep..  the regular season is getting minimized... just like NBA and NHL.  But hey, let's bury our head in the sand because the Patriots dynasty is over,  but now the next team that plays 20 years with 3 scrub division opponents won't get a free bye.  Granted it would probably never happen again anyway...but hey, we prevented that now... until we see 18 and 8 next. 

Probably late on this but I actually like the move of bringing Clement back on a cheap 1 year deal... If he can get healthy and stay healthy should add a good 3rd RB to our rotation kind of that balanced RB type not really special in any area but good at all decent power, speed and hands also had a decent knack for finding the EZ his rookie year....

Still want to see that pure power thumper though think we have couple youngster that could fill that role we shall see 

59 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDK seems Jax is happy with moustache mode

Wait a minute... weren't you giving BG a bunch of crap when he said Jax was going to start Mustache this year to see how he does?  Lol.

Just now, joemas6 said:

Wait a minute... weren't you giving BG a bunch of crap when he said Jax was going to start Mustache this year to see how he does?  Lol.

Come on Joe don’t you know Minshew who put up impressive stats as a rookie can’t get any better he is capped out best he can be is a backup.... But you know that random PS guy and the 5th DE that never gets reps are really going to come on and take over no clue why we ever look to replace those guy OSTMAN, HALL, WARD FOR LIFE!!!!!! Future nfl stars 🌟 lol

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Nice you made it

Thanks Brother!

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Do they have another QB on their roster to push Mr. Moustache? Every team wants competition for every player on the roster.

I would think Mr. Dalton wants to start,and it seems Jax has made their call

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Welcome to the board birdman, I really enjoyed driving through your state and visiting lots of sites. We drove the whole length of scenic route 100 .  We also watched the Lipizzan Stallions perform at North Hero on Lake Champlain. Can't forget Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream factory either. LOL You sure live in a beautiful state.

He needs to send us all syrup

35 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yep,but they didnt draft anyone(of note,they got the QB from Oregon state in round 6) and they didnt get anyone in FA.Kind of a surprise to me

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Thats why we got Warren

Warren is listed at 222, not small for a RB but certainly no Blount

Anyone tell Lawlor about the new board? I don't have an acct there.

Dalton released, more excited over my new hedge trimmer arriving a day early.

Curry ended up being a bargain in 2019, when he made $2.25 million as a rotational DE, who exceeded expectations. He had 27 tackles (5 for loss), 5 sacks, and 12 hits on the quarterback. More importantly, Curry played well down the stretch, as he had 4 sacks in the Eagles' final 5 games. He'd be cheap, and the Eagles would of course know what they're getting. Beyond knowing what they're getting, Curry would also know what he's getting into — and with the off season likely to be shortened, getting a guy who already knows the system and what his role will be right off the bat seems like a smart move. 

Any takers?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

2021 projected cap space .... LOL    Take a look and see where the Eagles fall and wonder why the next time you say to yourself ..."  the Eagles should have gotten that player"  when you see him sign with another team for fairly reasonable price.   

Ask yourself the true value of drafting QB in round 2???   

Former fifth-overall pick Ziggy Ansah is also an option for the Eagles as he remains unsigned following the NFL Draft. Interestingly enough, Jim Schwartz was the head coach of the Lions when they drafted Ansah back in 2013, so there's some connection there. Last year, after spending the first five years of his career in Detroit, Ansah signed a one-year, $9 million deal with the Seahawks. But with Seattle rotating their ends, much like Schwartz does here in Philly, Ansah was on the field for just over 30% of the defensive snaps. He's also struggled to stay healthy over the lasHach of his first three seasons, he's failed to hit that mark in each of the last three. If the Eagles are looking for a rotational guy, Ansah, 30, might fit. But not if he's going to want starter-level money. 

How about it?

6 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

2021 projected cap space .... LOL    Take a look and see where the Eagles fall and wonder why the next time you say to yourself ..."  the Eagles should have gotten that player"  when you see him sign with another team for fairly reasonable price.   

Ask yourself the true value of drafting QB in round 2???   

So who are you getting rid of next year? I don't pay attention to who you can jettison without any penalty. I know that Cox is paid a lot and it will be interesting to see after this year if the Eagles can get equal talent in the position for a lesser contract after next years draft. Ertz comes to mind as well and of course Jeffery and maybe Jackson. Who else?

2 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Probably late on this but I actually like the move of bringing Clement back on a cheap 1 year deal... If he can get healthy and stay healthy should add a good 3rd RB to our rotation kind of that balanced RB type not really special in any area but good at all decent power, speed and hands also had a decent knack for finding the EZ his rookie year....

Still want to see that pure power thumper though think we have couple youngster that could fill that role we shall see 

I still say that Wentz TD pass to Clement in 2017 game 7 against Washington is the best pass he has ever thrown. It wasn't a long pass but in crowded coverage he threw a dime.

11 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

So who are you getting rid of next year? I don't pay attention to who you can jettison without any penalty. I know that Cox is paid a lot and it will be interesting to see after this year if the Eagles can get equal talent in the position for a lesser contract after next years draft. Ertz comes to mind as well and of course Jeffery and maybe Jackson. Who else?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles/

Wrang... here is the link to 2021 and all the players... you can see the options... not many...

Obviously you need to find players with big cap hits to start ... then you look at 2 things that can be done.    1.  Cut/trade the player.    2.  Redo the contract

So lets look at the guys who make $$$ that are on the books as of now for next year... $42 mil OVER

Wentz
Cox
Alshon    ..... cut/traded   ... save $8 mil
Graham   ...  
Lane
Slay
Hargrave
Brooks
Malik
Ertz
DeSean  ... cut   .... save $5 mil
Barnett
Kelce
Goodwin  ... cut   .... save $7 mil

So right off the bat at WR ... we save $20 mil  ... brings us down to $22 mil

Barnett will get restructured unlike Agholor.... so that will save say $7 mil   ... brings us down to $15 mil over

Can't cut Lane or Kelce as it would cost more.....  Malik and Graham are break even if you cut them ... Brooks would save only about $1.5 mil.     So not seeing them cut or restructured at their ages.

Slay and Hargrave... not sure you do anything after year 1?   Don't see it.

So you are left with Wentz, Cox and Ertz.   .. Can't cut /trade Wentz ....  Cox would save $7 mil, but don't see it .... so the options there would be to restructure one or both.       

Ertz, trading him saves $4.7 mil 

SO BIG PICTURE .... $15 MIL OVER THE CAP ... with 3 players to help... Wentz, Cox and Ertz.   We have to not only get down to below the cap... but even further down so that we can sign the draft class and also make some other moves.   

We can also carry over any leftover cap space from this year to help.... right now showing $23 mil of cap space... but they didn't add in the draft class yet and if we make any other moves.     We can figure Rasul gets guy to save the $1.5 mil.

So ... my point here.... we need to be wise with any moves for this year... bargain shopping.  Save every penny.   The idea of getting a QB in the draft helps a lot vs the FA signing.  Also, don't expect any big moves.  If we do make a big move, it has to be for legit stud, not overpaying a 2nd tier player..... which would included... Robbie Anderson, Brandon Cooks or Perrimen .... but also going forward... don't expect  $5 to $10 mil for guys that are rotational or backup role either.     

No space to make all these type of moves.   Barring Howie having to do something he doesn't want to do... but maybe he gets forced to do something like push money down the road for Graham or Lane???   This is why I say take caution in wanting a player now... getting that guy could cause one of these unwise moves to have to happen later.    Right now... we can get out of this cap situation in 2022.  Be smart to not overspend on backups.  

1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

I still say that Wentz TD pass to Clement in 2017 game 7 against Washington is the best pass he has ever thrown. It wasn't a long pass but in crowded coverage he threw a dime.

100%

I see Wentz getting restructured next offseason.   I think they need to go that route, makes more sense than redoing Cox.  But they may need to do both along with trade Ertz.    

To put in perspective ... Houston is showing as the team with the 29th most cap space.... or 4th least ....  they show over $18 mil .... we are negative $42 mil      I say all these moves get made... cut all the WRs.. redo Barnett.... redo Cox and Wentz ... trade Ertz ... and still 28-30 teams will have more cap space.  

Eagles are limited.    and believe what you want about the QB situation.... all I'm saying is the Eagles took the cheap way out at backup QB... which was needed.  This is a fact.  100%.  The rest can all be debated.  This can't.  

You realize how much they can carry over right?

2 hours ago, Asg 15 said:

Warren is listed at 222, not small for a RB but certainly no Blount

He is a rookie,it's called "bulk him up" We do it all the time

Archived