Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

Need everyone’s help/opinion.

This season is ugly. I am more disappointed right now in the play DESIGN....given the state of the OLine...than I am about the play calling etc. I would like to get Wentz out of the pocket. I would like to see him under center and run the ball with all of these backup linemen.

Time to evaluate talent. Lets start with the O.

LT - Dillard - still lots of unknowns. So far I thought he was average at best, but not enough to evaluate. 

LG - Seumalo - ok. Expected more.

C - Kelce - stud but how long will he stay?

RG - Brooks - excellent! Can he get back to where he was?

RT - Johnson. I think he is still one of the best. Needs to get the ankle healthy.

other: I love Jason Peters but he needs to retire. I would hire him as Mailata and Dillard’s personal position coach! His body just doesn't have it anymore.
Mailata - he needs to improve a lot still. Many on here give him way too much credit.

Herbig - serviceable  backup. Same for PRYOR. clearly not talented enough to be starters though. And Mailata. They need to get a LOT better!

opeta - yikes.
Center position is a HUGE concern if Kelce hangs it up. HUGE! 

QB - Wentz - off year but he is the franchise QB and may need a different coach and play designs to get him back to elite/very good status.

RB - Sanders - very good. Needs to be featured more but needs to focus offseason on catching and pass protection.

RB - no other real good ones to mention. Scott, Clements, et al are short timers.

TE - Ertz. Elite talent catching. Seems to be missed GREATLY based on latest games.

TE - Goedert - upcoming star. And strong blocker too. Richard Rodgers. - playing well but cannot block.

WR - Jeffery, Jackson - both past their prime. Jackson is a wuss! Jeffery cant run.

WR - Reagor, Hightower - what speed? I just dont see it. ZERO separation on man to man coverage. Pathetic!

WR - Fulgham - keeper as a #2 or 3.

WR - Ward - he is a guy I would run those welker, edelman routes on almost every play. Make the defender guess, but more importantly, let him be Wentz’ hot read and/or check down.

Which means get MUCH better O Line play, design better plays, find a WR that can run routes and get separation, and get better QB play. That is a LOT that needs to happen.

Please give me your thoughts.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Senhorcook said:

WR - Reagor, Hightower - what speed? I just dont see it. ZERO separation on man to man coverage. Pathetic!

On this point Hightower was not gotten for his speed. Reagor was, but I don't see it like you-jury out, but if tonight was any indication we made another bad 1 pick (JMO). No clue what we have in Hurts, doesn't play enough to know. Could be another bad pick.My 1,2 draft pick guys need to contribute and that's not happening. May as well trade Sanders if we aren't planning on using him. Goedert is fine IMO which opens the door for an Ertz trade. Ped needs to go, making ridiculous decisions that hurt the team(what little team we have). D played ok as a unit. I was rather surprised Slay got spanked. Ped once again ran away from the running game. Adding Howard may mean he calls more running plays, but at this point it may not matter. Should have been done every week. Take the 3 points when you had a chance to, making it a 1 possession game .maybe that puts enough fire in them to win, but that wasn't done. Piss poor decisions by Ped. Hasn't changed a bit since his rookie season. Lurie can't wait much longer to make a move. The fans are falling away quickly. Wentz is a hot mess. Played better tonight, but that's not saying alot. Threw to a wide open D player with noone from our team around. Is he even looking at the field? Just sad in every aspect. Knowing you can't trade Wentz for more years (OR take the dead money hit) why did we draft Hurts? Wentz is the QB, nothing we can do about that now unless we take a HUGE hit. Maybe Hurts will be ready in 2 years IDK, but awful planning

So some initial thoughts after watching that mess.

Our offense is broken. It starts, but doesn't end, with Wentz. Seattle has a bad pass defense and we looked horrible against them. The line wasn't great, but played well enough to win. I am not a fan of our read option running plays. Just let Sanders get a head of steam when hitting the line, and let the linemen generate some momentum. I think we could have bulldozed them this game.

Wentz misses way too many easy throws. He was late and off target. Goedert should have had a huge night. I am not sure why Rodgers didn't pay more.

Our personnel decisions are puzzling to say the least. I am not sure what else this team needs to see to determine that Jeffery doesn't have anything left. All he is doing is taking snaps away from guys who need them.

On defense, we played well enough to win for the second week in a row. Slay was horrible, but you can live that if the rest of the offense is getting shut down. Singleton was a beast. I think we need some more talent in the secondary, but I think we are two or three players away from having a very solid defense. If Taylor/Wallace can turn into starters, that would be a huge help. Edwards is a perfect third linebacker.

The sad thing is, Seattle is a legit SB contender, and showed tonight that we are competitive with them. If we had better qb play and an offensive scheme that made any sense at all, we win that game. But it's like we are so close, but so far away. If Wentz doesn't get better, we aren't going to be good. That's the sad truth of the situation. 

What happened last night really hurt. We are getting torn apart by Metcalf whom was right there for the taking in the draft for us. He was feasting on our so-called shut down corner. Our Oline and offensive blocking is just miserable. Mailata and Seumalo couldn’t even stop the rush on a double team....never mind that in doing that they left the stunting rusher go free. The offense is watch Wentz get swarmed. Next down watch Wentz be gunshy. Guys are getting open we just can’t connect on it. Really frustrating.

17 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Let's compare mistakes tonight with Wilson and Wentz .... lets see if there are guys wide open for either team to where it's easier for one of the QBs.... let's see the protection, the use of the running game and playaction ...etc.   see how often each QB can just catch the snap and throw a quick pass because the D is playing off coverage.   Wilson to me is the best QB the last few years... Rodgers looks like he may be regaining that top spot.... Mahomes to me gets away with a lot and still succeeds due to that team around him.   But Wilson, for years had to do his thing for his team to win.   Great comparison tonight.  Lets really look and see if it's all Wilson being better than Wentz... or how much the other players make a difference.  

Welp, Wilson outplayed Wentz. He did not have allot of time, in fact he got hit right after launching the 52 yard pass to Metcalf. Remember in  the 1st quarter eagles had a 3rd and 13. I think it was their 3rd possession. Wentz held onto the ball and got sacked. But had he rolled to his right gaining a little time, he would have had a wide open Receiver right in front of him for a long gain. There was no rush coming from the right side. All of it was coming from the left. This is something Rogers and Russell would do on instinct, yet Wentz stood there like a statue and took another sack. This is just one example of his poor play. Do I only blame him? Of course not! Where is the Coach in his ear to show him the mistake? This should be happening every game, but I doubt it happens at all. He is missing Goddert when he was wide open. This cannot happen to a player that Wentz has had over a year to work with. I can understand Reagor or Fulgham, but not Goddert.

Listen, there is plenty of blame to go around and Wentz just looks the most obvious to blame. Doug needs to give up the play calling and concentrate on the game. Swartz did pretty good yesterday, but he often has no adjustments in game. The WR coaches or not doing their job as no one is getting separation. All know about he O-Line so I won't go there... Point is, Wentz is not the only issue but he is part of the problem.

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Our offense is broken. It starts, but doesn't end, with Wentz. Seattle has a bad pass defense and we looked horrible against them. The line wasn't great, but played well enough to win. I am not a fan of our read option running plays. Just let Sanders get a head of steam when hitting the line, and let the linemen generate some momentum. I think we could have bulldozed them this game.

Wentz misses way too many easy throws. He was late and off target. Goedert should have had a huge night. I am not sure why Rodgers didn't pay more.

Our personnel decisions are puzzling to say the least. I am not sure what else this team needs to see to determine that Jeffery doesn't have anything left. All he is doing is taking snaps away from guys who need them.

On defense, we played well enough to win for the second week in a row. Slay was horrible, but you can live that if the rest of the offense is getting shut down. Singleton was a beast. I think we need some more talent in the secondary, but I think we are two or three players away from having a very solid defense. If Taylor/Wallace can turn into starters, that would be a huge help. Edwards is a perfect third linebacker.

The sad thing is, Seattle is a legit SB contender, and showed tonight that we are competitive with them. If we had better qb play and an offensive scheme that made any sense at all, we win that game. But it's like we are so close, but so far away. If Wentz doesn't get better, we aren't going to be good. That's the sad truth of the situation. 

—-I’d say the offense starts on the blocking. Doesn’t exist much. When it actually does it’s shocking. 
——Rodgers didn’t play more because the matchup problem was with their DBs. They have quality Lb. Didn't want to give them even more chances to utilize them and disguise blitzing even more. So if they are going with LB we had to hit with a WR.
——we can’t live with Slay getting torched like that. If it’s the CB2 we can give S help. But Slay getting toasted just leaves us out to dry. 
——-Defense giving up that long run for a TD was ugly. The D held early. I’ll give you that. They generated some good pressure.

8 hours ago, Senhorcook said:

Need everyone’s help/opinion.

This season is ugly. I am more disappointed right now in the play DESIGN....given the state of the OLine...than I am about the play calling etc. I would like to get Wentz out of the pocket. I would like to see him under center and run the ball with all of these backup linemen.

Time to evaluate talent. Lets start with the O.

LT - Dillard - still lots of unknowns. So far I thought he was average at best, but not enough to evaluate. 

LG - Seumalo - ok. Expected more.

C - Kelce - stud but how long will he stay?

RG - Brooks - excellent! Can he get back to where he was?

RT - Johnson. I think he is still one of the best. Needs to get the ankle healthy.

other: I love Jason Peters but he needs to retire. I would hire him as Mailata and Dillard’s personal position coach! His body just doesn't have it anymore.
Mailata - he needs to improve a lot still. Many on here give him way too much credit.

Herbig - serviceable  backup. Same for PRYOR. clearly not talented enough to be starters though. And Mailata. They need to get a LOT better!

opeta - yikes.
Center position is a HUGE concern if Kelce hangs it up. HUGE! 

QB - Wentz - off year but he is the franchise QB and may need a different coach and play designs to get him back to elite/very good status.

RB - Sanders - very good. Needs to be featured more but needs to focus offseason on catching and pass protection.

RB - no other real good ones to mention. Scott, Clements, et al are short timers.

TE - Ertz. Elite talent catching. Seems to be missed GREATLY based on latest games.

TE - Goedert - upcoming star. And strong blocker too. Richard Rodgers. - playing well but cannot block.

WR - Jeffery, Jackson - both past their prime. Jackson is a wuss! Jeffery cant run.

WR - Fulgham - keeper as a #2 or 3.

WR - Ward - he is a guy I would run those welker, edelman routes on almost every play. Make the defender guess, but more importantly, let him be Wentz’ hot read and/or check down.

Which means get MUCH better O Line play, design better plays, find a WR that can run routes and get separation, and get better QB play. That is a LOT that needs to happen.

Please give me your thoughts.

I agree on almost all points. One thing I need to mention again. Not every Rodgers roll out is called same for Wilson. They elect to do it on their own if they feel the pressure. Not just a couple times a game but numerous times. Wentz never does it unless it is a called play. We need to recognize that fact is all I am saying.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

—-I’d say the offense starts on the blocking. Doesn’t exist much. When it actually does it’s shocking. 
——Rodgers didn’t play more because the matchup problem was with their DBs. They have quality Lb. Didn't want to give them even more chances to utilize them and disguise blitzing even more. So if they are going with LB we had to hit with a WR.
——we can’t live with Slay getting torched like that. If it’s the CB2 we can give S help. But Slay getting toasted just leaves us out to dry. 
——-Defense giving up that long run for a TD was ugly. The D held early. I’ll give you that. They generated some good pressure.

They never roll a safety his way. Not fair to blame only him. Where was Mills? Sure he did great against the run but was no where to be found on the pass..... Never helped Slay or the other side. Maybe that is Swartz....

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

We are getting torn apart by Metcalf whom was right there for the taking in the draft for us.

You mean like we took Reagor instead of JJ?

32 minutes ago, stine said:

Welp, Wilson outplayed Wentz. He did not have allot of time, in fact he got hit right after launching the 52 yard pass to Metcalf. Remember in  the 1st quarter eagles had a 3rd and 13. I think it was their 3rd possession. Wentz held onto the ball and got sacked. But had he rolled to his right gaining a little time, he would have had a wide open Receiver right in front of him for a long gain. There was no rush coming from the right side. All of it was coming from the left. This is something Rogers and Russell would do on instinct, yet Wentz stood there like a statue and took another sack. This is just one example of his poor play. Do I only blame him? Of course not! Where is the Coach in his ear to show him the mistake? This should be happening every game, but I doubt it happens at all. He is missing Goddert when he was wide open. This cannot happen to a player that Wentz has had over a year to work with. I can understand Reagor or Fulgham, but not Goddert.

Listen, there is plenty of blame to go around and Wentz just looks the most obvious to blame. Doug needs to give up the play calling and concentrate on the game. Swartz did pretty good yesterday, but he often has no adjustments in game. The WR coaches or not doing their job as no one is getting separation. All know about he O-Line so I won't go there... Point is, Wentz is not the only issue but he is part of the problem.

Ped made some disgusting calls. Take the 3 when you can in a close game and make it a 1 score game. Maybe they get the fire to pull out a win? Nah to hell with that. I have no clue why Sanders is on the roster. I think a scared rabbit Wentz got more yards on the ground

39 minutes ago, stine said:

I agree on almost all points. One thing I need to mention again. Not every Rodgers roll out is called same for Wilson. They elect to do it on their own if they feel the pressure. Not just a couple times a game but numerous times. Wentz never does it unless it is a called play. We need to recognize that fact is all I am saying.

Wentz doesn't hardly even step into(what little) pocket he has And if he does it's one little step and he gets caught from behind.

3 hours ago, jsb235 said:

Wentz is used to a clean pocket and he has no clue how to adjust to one that isn't and we are seeing the results from being clueless. He will take off when there is no other choice,but he refuses to roll out on his own to extend plays like other QB's seem to do

C. Wentz 5 42 0 20 22
  M. Sanders 6 15 0 8  
  B. Scott 2 7 0 5  
  C. Clement 1 6 0 6      

Wentz was out best RB!!!!( rushing stats) 9 RB touches and Wentz torched them all. This is a pathetic display of ineptitude

The one good thing is we should have a top draft pick... Even Howie doesn’t usually F up top 12 picks... Ie Wentz(yes I know bad year ) Cox, Lane Johnson.

I’d love to actually get us a coach that isn’t afraid to run the football.... I get it’s a passing league but rarely does abandoning the run mean good things ever.

What makes it worse as a whole our run game as been a bright spot for the O yet we refuse to use it.... Instead lets throw 40+ times with our struggling QB

Soooo can we fire Howie now and start our GM search now???? Get us a new GM in here let him make the decision on Doug and if we opt to fire him start our new HC search

No need to fire Howie, just take the GM part away. Ped needs fired. Still making poor decisions 5 years in. Gave him a pass years 1,2,but now there are no more excuses. All coaches deal with injuries, but learn to stop making bonehead decisions. We just keep spiraling down like a whirpool. My buddies for other teams are loving this because I have nothing to say. I have no more ammo

This was a pleasant surprise from a crap game.

Thomas R. Petersen 🦅 on Twitter: "Jordan Mailata was the 2nd highest graded OT in the NFL in week 12. He was the 5th highest graded OL overall. #Eagles https://t.co/4oZJ9xOD4M" / Twitter

I thought he gave up a sack, but apparently they dinged Seumalo for it. Otherwise I thought he was solid. This feels to me like he has turned the corner. He started out well, then had a few struggles, but played really well in relief last week and followed that with a solid effort last night.

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

No need to fire Howie, just take the GM part away. Ped needs fired. Still making poor decisions 5 years in. Gave him a pass years 1,2,but now there are no more excuses. All coaches deal with injuries, but learn to stop making bonehead decisions. We just keep spiraling down like a whirpool. My buddies for other teams are loving this because I have nothing to say. I have no more ammo

Howie needs to be fired lol we have plenty of accountants that can work contracts... If Howie stays will always be power struggle 

As for Doug I mean yup some bone head calls the Going for it on 4th down instead of cutting the lead to a 1 score game.... Lack of running sure.

But at the same time soooo many guys were open that Wentz missed or threw a poor pass 

Fire Howie new GM figure out the coaching situation from there. 

7 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

thought he gave up a sack, but apparently they dinged Seumalo for it. Otherwise I thought he was solid. This feels to me like he has turned the corner. He started out well, then had a few struggles, but played really well in relief last week and followed that with a solid effort last night.

Not shocked it was on Semaulo but definitely Mailata was part of giving up at least one sack when they got split. Watching the game I was less then impressed with our OL Mailata included 

56 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Howie needs to be fired lol we have plenty of accountants that can work contracts... If Howie stays will always be power struggle 

Who is taking the contract duty? Or is it just "some guy" we have?

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

This was a pleasant surprise from a crap game.

Thomas R. Petersen 🦅 on Twitter: "Jordan Mailata was the 2nd highest graded OT in the NFL in week 12. He was the 5th highest graded OL overall. #Eagles https://t.co/4oZJ9xOD4M" / Twitter

I thought he gave up a sack, but apparently they dinged Seumalo for it. Otherwise I thought he was solid. This feels to me like he has turned the corner. He started out well, then had a few struggles, but played really well in relief last week and followed that with a solid effort last night.

IDK their grading system. But I saw guys come around him unblocked,so how do they count that? It's not a missed block because he never engaged

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Who is taking the contract duty? Or is it just "some guy" we have?

We have an entire group of guys that work contracts it not like it’s solely Howie doing all the contracts lol... Besides that Howie isn’t the only GM capable of working the cap there are 31 other teams plenty of them are good with cap management as well along with drafting and the rest of the jobs that come with being a GM 

Archived